Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Johnny Winter's "Silver Train" was released before the Rolling Stones' version.
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: July 31, 2014 19:07

Silver Train on 'Still Alive and Well' by Johnny Winter was released in March of 1973 according to wikipedia:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Silver Train on 'Goat's Head Soup' was released August 31, 1973: [www.allmusic.com]

Silver Train writeup at Wikipedia: [en.wikipedia.org]

What else is interesting is that the Rolling Stones have a song "Winter" on GHS. That has no significance on its own I'm sure but still is a bit curious.

Re: Johnny Winter's "Silver Train" was released before the Rolling Stones' version.
Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 31, 2014 19:14

Interesting. Did the Stones "give" it to him, and then decide to record it themselves(see "As Tears Go By" with Faithful). Johnny's (may he rest in peace) version is killer on You tube. Love his guitar work....one of the few guys who is worthy of covering Stones songs (and he covered a lot of them).

Re: Johnny Winter's "Silver Train" was released before the Rolling Stones' version.
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 31, 2014 19:31

From what I remember they did write it for Johnny!!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 31, 2014 19:58

The single came out a month before the album.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 31, 2014 20:10

Brstonesfan
Interesting. Did the Stones "give" it to him, and then decide to record it themselves(see "As Tears Go By" with Faithful). Johnny's (may he rest in peace) version is killer on You tube. Love his guitar work....one of the few guys who is worthy of covering Stones songs (and he covered a lot of them).

This demo is quite similar to Johnny's version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-31 20:12 by Deltics.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 31, 2014 20:25

Wasn't Faithfuls version of 'As tears go by' also released long Before Stones...those things happens...Marmelade ruled the World with 'Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da 1968..and that was a stinker on The White Album...

2 1 2 0

Date: July 31, 2014 20:47

Come On
Wasn't Faithfuls version of 'As tears go by' also released long Before Stones...those things happens...Marmelade ruled the World with 'Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da 1968..and that was a stinker on The White Album...

Yes, Marianne's version was released over a year before the Stones' version came out.
Marmalade's version was a cover though, as it came out after the White Album.

Check out my list of other songs the Stones "gave away":
[www.45cat.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-31 23:05 by Deltics.

Date: August 1, 2014 01:26

The Burritos also released WH before the Stones did.

Are there more examples? Farlowe/Out Of Time? I believe that was after.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 1, 2014 02:55

The Stones covered Johnny Winter's "I'm Yours and I'm Hers" in their famous 1969 Hyde Park concert. It was the opening song:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 1, 2014 04:44

They obviously had a lot of respect for ne another. Did Johnny ever open for the Stones?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 04:45 by Brstonesfan.

Date: August 1, 2014 16:04

DandelionPowderman

Refer to my previous post.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 1, 2014 16:07

Marianne was in the top 5 British female singers in the '60's. She was ideal for that song to be a big hit as a single. Lots of other Brit girls at the time were Dusty,Cilla,Petula,Sandie,Lulu,Kathy Kirby,Helen Shapiro,Jackie Trent,Billie Davis ,Mary Hopkin ,Twinkle and Julie Grant .

Hardly any top Brit girls around now.

Date: August 1, 2014 16:10

Deltics
DandelionPowderman

"Two months earlier". Thanks.

Your website, Deltics?

Date: August 1, 2014 16:17

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
DandelionPowderman

"Two months earlier". Thanks.

Your website, Deltics?

No, I'm just a member.
Excellent website:
[www.45cat.com]

Stones' pages: [www.45cat.com]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 1, 2014 17:30

From my memory they didn't write it for JW.(They never do that lol).

Johnny asked for a song and Mick offered an early version of Silver train.JW liked it and in the end released it even before the Stones. Happened before with Wild Horses and Grams band.
I liked all of Johnnys Stones versions.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: August 1, 2014 17:48

Surprised he didn't cover "Winter" instead...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2044
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home