Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stoned 2005 movie
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: October 26, 2013 19:12

I am just waiting for the Stones to return to the USA in the fall of 2014 so I can see them perform live at least one more time. In the meantime, I am biding my time, listening to music, and watching some old movies.

Last night I saw the Netflix movie, Stoned, and liked it quite a bit. Brian Jones was depicted as a mean-spirited pathetic lost soul who liked beating women and showed little remorse for his actions, such as having at least five children out of wedlock, two of which were conceived before he was eighteen. He was seen taking drugs far in excess of any of the other Stones, and he enjoyed stirring up trouble just for the fun of it. The other Stones were not prominent in the film, as it centered around Brian, his many women, and his constant legal and personal troubles. If any of this were at least half true, he certainly was not a very likable human being. George Thorogood, a construction foreman, supposedly confessed killing him in the swimming pool in a dispute over his wages and his poor treatment of his girl friend. I did have a lot of difficulty understanding the thick English accents, and there were far too many exposed male organs to suit me. Overall, it was entertaining.

Has anyone else seen this movie?

Re: Stoned 2005 movie
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 26, 2013 19:40

The film is awful.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: October 26, 2013 19:43

Crap

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 26, 2013 20:15

eh

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 26, 2013 20:17

Shite

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 26, 2013 21:12

flilflam
George Thorogood, a construction foreman, supposedly confessed killing him in the swimming pool in a dispute over his wages and his poor treatment of his girl friend.

FRANK Thorogood!!! I concur with others in saying that the film is absolutely terrible. Nothing but a soap opera. My wife and I turned it off about 20 minutes in. Just garbage. Maybe I am not fan enough..

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 26, 2013 21:19

Hmmm. ..."at least five children out of wedlock".

Is that bad?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 26, 2013 23:16

I saw it once during its 1- or 2-week theater run, and I've never wanted to see it again since.

Any film that hires Tom Keylock as a "consultant" is going to be as far from the truth as one can get.

One of the UK music mags at the time, Uncut, did a birthday special on Brian that year and they had one of their writers on the set of Stoned for an article on the making of the movie. The writer was not allowed anywhere near Keylock for any questioning. At one point they are in the film editing room viewing footage of "Brian" submerged in the pool and Keylock moves forward to get a closer look at the video and says, mostly to himself but audibly enough for the Uncut writer to hear, "It's like going back in time!"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 27, 2013 16:20

GasLightStreet
Hmmm. ..."at least five children out of wedlock".

Is that bad?

chortle

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 27, 2013 17:22

Having read about it on here, I went into the film not expecting it to be 100% accurate. I just intended to try and enjoy it as a film instead of a history lesson, but I found it extremely boring and poorly made. It felt very amateur. I think Paddy Considine is a fine actor, but I felt bad for him for being in this.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 27, 2013 22:50

Terrible film

Posted by: hotspot3000 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 05:17

Loved it!

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 05:59

It made me dislike Brian and have little sympathy for him.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 28, 2013 06:30

^ It should have made you dislike the filmmaker instead.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: October 28, 2013 09:11

Boring.
And the soundtrack has no stones music.

Date: October 28, 2013 17:49

brownsugar86
It made me dislike Brian and have little sympathy for him.

It's ok, he's dead.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 28, 2013 20:28

I went to see the movie thinking that I was going to enjoy it but I came out of the theater disappointed.Nowadays, I don't even remember what I didn't like about it. I should try to see it again to be able to make a valid point against it in this thread!
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: October 28, 2013 20:31

rollmops
I went to see the movie thinking that I was going to enjoy it but I came out of the theater disappointed.Nowadays, I don't even remember what I didn't like about it. I should try to see it again to be able to make a valid point against it in this thread!
Rock and roll,
Mops

The directing, acting and general vibe is that of a straight to video or tv type film. It tries to go for the sensationalist stuff, but does so in such a cheesy unconvincing way.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 05:44

I still believe Tom Keylock killed Brian Jones. He was the only "gangster type person" involved with the band at the time and a much more likely suspect than construction foreman George. I believe it takes a certain type of person to murder another humanbeing and just being pissed off over wages owed or whatever, doesn't automatically turn the average guy into a killer. Then there's the rare type of individual that can actually murder for profit and by all accounts Tom was exactly that type of guy.
Wasn't it Tom Keylock that George was supposed to have confessed to on his death bed? Well why would he even have been by Georges bedside so many years later, and it still seem's weird to me that nobody ever put this all together.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: October 29, 2013 13:52

rob51
I still believe Tom Keylock killed Brian Jones. He was the only "gangster type person" involved with the band at the time and a much more likely suspect than construction foreman George.

The Thorogood of our story is called FRANK, not George. George is an American guitarist, as we know it.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 29, 2013 14:44

this really bad Stones-related movie serves to point the way for a really good Stones-related movie.

c'mon there must be a producer and director who can get a team and cast together and do this..

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 29, 2013 19:31

male frontal nudity!

(thats all i recall about it other than the actors looked NOTHING like the Stones)

Date: October 29, 2013 20:16

lettingitbleed
male frontal nudity!

(thats all i recall about it other than the actors looked NOTHING like the Stones)

They got Keith circa 1967 hair and clobber close enough though. grinning smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 30, 2013 02:53

I watched stoned for the first time last week, i did quite enjoy it up to a point but im not sure of the accuracy of it.

I felt frank thorogood to be an extremely needy person with low self esteem who hung around brians villa too often for his own good, was he a builder or a social worker to brian.

I didnt really get the relationship between the stones and keylock and felt it strange that brian was reportedly running out of money even though the stones were huge and still selling records.

I do feel brian was killed, not as an act of meditated murder but in frustration over a disagreement about money or as a result of other ongoing disputes. I cant just believe he died on his own in the pool as he was a strong swimmer apparently and he wasnt found to have a lot of drugs or alcohol in his body.

who knows what really happened.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: October 30, 2013 03:29

I wonder if there is a possible connection between Thorogood at the scene of the crime and his re-emergence, opening for the rest of the Stones in '81. Quid pro quo, Dr. Lector?

Date: October 30, 2013 11:46

Hehe. grinning smiley

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: October 30, 2013 12:05

A massive disappointment, cheap.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 30, 2013 12:33

Sipuncula
I wonder if there is a possible connection between Thorogood at the scene of the crime and his re-emergence, opening for the rest of the Stones in '81. Quid pro quo, Dr. Lector?

Bad to the bone...

- Doxa

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 30, 2013 19:23

I fell asleep(!) watching it the first time and for years have been meaning to watch it again all the way thru. STill havent gotten around to it...

but now that im hearing I may have missed an appearance by George Thorogood; ill have to make some time!

Date: October 30, 2013 21:28

Oh, the woman that plays Anna Wohlin is mighty fine. thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home