Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: re Muddy Waters...Levon Helm, Keith and Ronnie's books
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 21, 2013 22:43

Just read "This Wheel's on Fire" by Levon Helm thanks to several IORRers who mentioned it in a previous thread. LOVE this book...one of the best ever re what being on the road and in the music business is really like.

Levon tells a great and rather miserable story about how "someone" wanted to get rid of Muddy being in The Last Waltz.

The line that grabbed me is "Muddy had the dignity of a King." And that is exactly how I felt when I saw him my one and only time. He was and remains "Somebody."

A friend of mine in LA has just read most of the Amazon reviews, especially the bad ones of Keith's book and Ronnie's book. He is still laughing...and glad he didn't buy either of them.

Re: OT: re Muddy Waters...Levon Helm, Keith and Ronnie's books
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 21, 2013 23:39

Keith's book is good. It's as if he has an IORR persona and was in that mode when thinking back over the past and telling it to James Fox. grinning smiley

Who was the someone that wanted Muddy our of The Last Waltz? Why would some not want him in it? confused smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 23:59

Sorry, but when you strip the legend and hype away from Keith's book you realize it is just a long interview, where he DID NOT WRITE A THING. And a lot of the same stories. Very little new was learned other than Keith is a man who holds a grudge and doesn't believe he has much responsibility for "Losing His Friend..." He really tries to come across as this tough as nails pirate who is the everyman and liked by all because he is a good man. He was a self absorbed junkie who used people, relied on his friends to keep him going, and is a big tough guy when his body guards are around. Other than that, yeah, its a great book.

Date: October 22, 2013 00:08

I don't care about the legend stuff. His book was revealing though, but in a kinda bad and maybe unintentional way, that's good imo. grinning smiley

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 22, 2013 00:25

I didn't think Keith really tried to come across as tough as nails in his book, in fact I was surprised at what a softy he is, and that he would admit it. It was revealing to me, because it was the first (and to this day the only) Rolling Stones book I've read.

It was basically a long interview, and Keith didn't really do any writing, but that's pretty much what I figured it would be. That's how many bios by people who aren't writers and take on an author to help them are. And in that respect, I thought it worked, it felt like you were sitting around listening to Keith talk about his life, rather than reading a book. We should all be glad Keith didn't write it, that probably would have been bad. His letters are a chore to get through, imagine a whole book.

I did find it odd the things they focused on, and the things they glossed over or didn't mention. And it was kind of disorganized, but I guess that's fitting for a book about Keith. I found it an overall enjoyable read, but it's not a GREAT book or anything.

I didn't even know Ronnie had a book. And as far as Levon Helm, that book sounds interesting and I've been thinking of checking it out, even though I'm a casual fan of The Band at best. But I know enough to know that the "someone" stonesrule was referring to is likely Robbie. But maybe I'm wrong on that. Robbie is usually the bad guy (deserved or not) in stories about The Band.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 22, 2013 00:38

in Keith's book its very sad to read about his infant son's death.

gotta admire him for keeping his professional commitments around that tragic time for Anita and him.

its still astounding to me that someone could carry on the amount of drug abuse he indulged in with children around.

that aspect of the book, his self absorbed addict lifestyle is what makes it difficult to read for me. probably would have felt different if I had read this 20 years ago..

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 22, 2013 00:51

whitem8
Sorry, but when you strip the legend and hype away from Keith's book you realize it is just a long interview, where he DID NOT WRITE A THING. And a lot of the same stories. Very little new was learned other than Keith is a man who holds a grudge and doesn't believe he has much responsibility for "Losing His Friend..." He really tries to come across as this tough as nails pirate who is the everyman and liked by all because he is a good man. He was a self absorbed junkie who used people, relied on his friends to keep him going, and is a big tough guy when his body guards are around. Other than that, yeah, its a great book.

That is not the entire Keith but it is a good deal of it. But no one gets to where he has in life without having a lot going for himself.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 22, 2013 01:04

In reading various posts on IORR I'm always impressed with people who seem to take a little time to examine themselves and their lives. And, in an autobiography, most of the best ones by both men and women, talk about good and bad times, lucky breaks, the value of learning who they really are...of perseverance etc.

Yes, Keith is often an softy when he's straight. What surprised me was how seldom he talked about being fortunate at various times. He didn't seem to dig very deep except when it came to all the drugging. Man, that was OVERKIll.

To some extent, James Fox,Jane Rose and others might take some blame for the lack of balance in this book. But in the end, the blame has to go to anyone who writes a book for a lot of dough and goes along with the publisher's desire for "dirt." Keith gave readers more than they needed of that.

The problem I have with both Keith and Ronnie's books is that they clearly didn't want to bother taking the time to read the final draft before submitting it to their publishers. Numerous errors in Ronnie's "memories."

However, I didn't actually mean this thread to be a "Bash Keith and Ronnie" outing. What I loved about the Levon Helm book was its honesty...you felt like you were right there with The Band from the get-go. For Dylan lovers, the Helm book shows the nicest, most real side of Dylan and his respect for The Band.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 22, 2013 01:11

whitem8

smileys with beer

well put...oh, and it was also meandering and boring

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 22, 2013 01:52

I enjoyed Keith's book for what it was--a performance.

If you're a Keith fan it's got everything you could want. It's entertaining and it reinforces the legend of the man. Alternately funny and at times poignant, Keith portrays himself as the Romantic hero always fighting the good fight and forever in service to his Muse. If he wants to portray himself as the modern equivalent to the unrepentant Wild West gunslinger or the swashbuckling pirate, then why not? He's a rock n roll musician, not a politician, and those who still remember the long-faded cultural ethos of "sex, drugs, and rock n roll" would expect nothing less. Besides, most of us here have never met the man in person and will never know him in his private life when not veiled by his stage persona, so what does it matter?

However, since I read the book 2 years ago, Crossfire Hurricane has been released, and the book betrays a similar pattern of storytelling to the film documentary, in that Life seems to live mainly over a 20-year period.

The book reads like a metaphor of The Stones' own apparent perception of their long and storied career. Steeped in background history, heavily layered with anecdotes and analysis of their salad days, the 60s, then tales of soldiering on with various trials and challenges and triumphs through the 70s and into the early 80s. After that, the last 30 years are covered in pedestrian, superficial fashion, as though he were merely discussing the furniture of the room he was sitting in at the time of a given interview. The amount of pages Life takes up over the most recent 30 years would be devoted to a couple of years of the 70s, a single year of the 60s, and just months of the space devoted to tales of his formative years.

One gets the ironic sense from Life that its subject really hasn't lived all that much in the last 30 years, except to revel in the 20 years that led up to that time where the memoir begins to gloss over the times rather than live through them.

Strange how Keith--and The Stones as well--don't devote the time and depth of analysis to the last 30 years as they did to the previous 30 years when looking back from 1989, for example, with 25X5.

But, perhaps, that's just life....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 22, 2013 01:54

Or perhaps, they aren't as inspired by their later career as they were with their first 20 years. Part of that is youth, and when you are young and hungry, learning and interpreting. Now they are staid, laid back and in the most lucrative working retirement known to humanity.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 22, 2013 02:02

Yeah, I think Keith spent more time talking about bangers and mash than VL and B2B combined. I've never tried his recipe. I've never tried bangers and mash.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 22, 2013 02:05

stonehearted
I enjoyed Keith's book for what it was--a performance.

This is the point--he may not have written it, but they're very much his words, as opposed to those "as told to" books where the ghostwriter expresses the information mostly in HIS words. Somebody else transcribed and organized them, but they're still Keith's own words, thoughts, etc. What people think of what he said is a whole other matter, of course--personally, I thought the parts about his early life were wonderfully evocative of a certain point in British history, and the parts where he was talking about music were terrific. I'm not so interested in his descriptions of Mick's anatomy.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 22, 2013 04:33

stonehearted

Strange how Keith--and The Stones as well--don't devote the time and depth of analysis to the last 30 years as they did to the previous 30 years when looking back from 1989, for example, with 25X5.

But, perhaps, that's just life....

1989 was the turning point, or summing up year of the band. I think they still felt like the legend was going to continue. Bill leaving really was the end of the relevant years, and not just because he left, but because the New Fab Four seemed kind of lost as to what to do music wise. They tried retro-ism and it had some success, but they ran out of gas when it came to what to do with the Rolling Stones. There was still money to be made when it came to propping up those warhorses and touring them around the world for obscene amounts of money, but that was about it artistically.

Crossfire pretty much goes over the same territory as 25X5, but with a different perspective, and maybe a little more humanity towards the problem child Brian. But both docs end in just about the same place. The Post-Wyman years just aren't that interesting compared to the first 25.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 22, 2013 09:00

duke richardson

gotta admire him for keeping his professional commitments around that tragic time for Anita and him.

its still astounding to me that someone could carry on the amount of drug abuse he indulged in with children around.

that aspect of the book, his self absorbed addict lifestyle is what makes it difficult to read for me. probably would have felt different if I had read this 20 years ago..

No, that tour should have been stopped right there and then. The death of one's child is certainily more important than the "the show must go on." Doesn't matter if you're playing Paris, London, or Madison Square Garden. It shows how much the drugs were in control.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 22, 2013 10:58

whitem8
Sorry, but when you strip the legend and hype away from Keith's book you realize it is just a long interview, where he DID NOT WRITE A THING. And a lot of the same stories. Very little new was learned other than Keith is a man who holds a grudge and doesn't believe he has much responsibility for "Losing His Friend..." He really tries to come across as this tough as nails pirate who is the everyman and liked by all because he is a good man. He was a self absorbed junkie who used people, relied on his friends to keep him going, and is a big tough guy when his body guards are around.

...and your point is...?!

whitem8
Other than that, yeah, its a great book.

Exactly.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 22, 2013 13:47

tomk
duke richardson

No, that tour should have been stopped right there and then. The death of one's child is certainily more important than the "the show must go on." Doesn't matter if you're playing Paris, London, or Madison Square Garden. It shows how much the drugs were in control.
yes you would be right if this was anyone but Keith we're talking about...
seems his way of grieving was to work..not saying I understand it because God forbid anyone should suffer the loss of one's child but..
He went ahead and mourned his own way..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 13:49 by duke richardson.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: October 22, 2013 13:48

Neil Diamonds album was being produced by R Robinson,thats why he ended up on the show.I seem to remember the row started over the time.Levon said that if Muddy Waters was kicked off ,Levon was"nt going to play.I could be wrong.

Date: October 22, 2013 13:54

duke richardson

... seems his way of grieving was to work...

Yup.

Date: October 22, 2013 13:58

NoCode0680
I didn't think Keith really tried to come across as tough as nails in his book, in fact I was surprised at what a softy he is, and that he would admit it. It was revealing to me, because it was the first (and to this day the only) Rolling Stones book I've read.

It was basically a long interview, and Keith didn't really do any writing, but that's pretty much what I figured it would be. That's how many bios by people who aren't writers and take on an author to help them are. And in that respect, I thought it worked, it felt like you were sitting around listening to Keith talk about his life, rather than reading a book. We should all be glad Keith didn't write it, that probably would have been bad. His letters are a chore to get through, imagine a whole book.

I did find it odd the things they focused on, and the things they glossed over or didn't mention. And it was kind of disorganized, but I guess that's fitting for a book about Keith. I found it an overall enjoyable read, but it's not a GREAT book or anything.

I didn't even know Ronnie had a book. And as far as Levon Helm, that book sounds interesting and I've been thinking of checking it out, even though I'm a casual fan of The Band at best. But I know enough to know that the "someone" stonesrule was referring to is likely Robbie. But maybe I'm wrong on that. Robbie is usually the bad guy (deserved or not) in stories about The Band.

Finally someone who got it! thumbs up

It is the contents in Keith's book people don't get. Keith is as soft as it gets, and very revealing and open - and that goes for his "darker sides" as well.

Date: October 22, 2013 14:17

People who are suprirsed by his softer side haven't been paying attention. It's there from the beginning and continued to be there once he found his Keef act and played up to it.

The book is not honest as such, it's more that things get revealed inbetween the words of the various keef characters he puts across.

There's quite a few contradictions to what he has said in his perviously way more open and honest interviews from the past. He's far more real, honest and open in the Barbara Charone book for example.

Some parts of the book have clearly just been taken from old interviews.

Date: October 22, 2013 14:25

I don't think people are surprised about his softer sides, more like they're surprised by how revealing he decided to be about them in this book.

Contradictions or not, Keith is Keith, and his instinctive way of being is bound to lead to contradictions. That doesn't mean he's not honest smiling smiley

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: October 22, 2013 14:30

"Levon tells a great and rather miserable story about how "someone" wanted to get rid of Muddy being in The Last Waltz."

Who else but Robbie Robertson?!

Date: October 22, 2013 14:39

DandelionPowderman
I don't think people are surprised about his softer sides, more like they're surprised by how revealing he decided to be about them in this book.

Contradictions or not, Keith is Keith, and his instinctive way of being is bound to lead to contradictions. That doesn't mean he's not honest smiling smiley

Someone has just told you they were. grinning smiley

Dishonest could be via James Fox. More balanced inward looking thoughts about Brian for example seem to have been held back in favour of a mostly negative view. His softer side for Brian is kept well back, but we get a far more balanced good and bad view in books like Charone etc.

Who knows what was left out, but we can only take the book as it is.

Dishonest may be the wrong word, but based on many past interviews certain angles have been presented in far less balanced ways. It is interesting that an old man would end up like this after having been more balanced about things before, but again, it's possibly down to James Fox or perhaps Keith just had a load of shit he needed to get off his chest in more direct, unbalanced way.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 14:50 by His Majesty.

Date: October 22, 2013 14:46

His Majesty

Someone has just told you they were. grinning smiley

More like it was surprising that he would admit he was a softy smiling smiley

The Brian-thing in the book is indeed weird, as Keith has had no problems in the past acknowledging his importance musically as well as saying kind things about him as a person..

Date: October 22, 2013 14:54

His interviews whilst promoting the book show the more balanced Keith, so this could be taken as a sign the more negative focused angles are a result of James Fox and/or pressure from book company to include some harder edge and dirt.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 22, 2013 14:55

His Majesty
duke richardson

... seems his way of grieving was to work...

I think he was more likely in too deep with his drug addiction at the time. Didn't he state in the book about not knowing where 'the little shit' or something like that, was buried. Even after 35 years this is not the way any parent would be referring to their own dead child.

Date: October 22, 2013 15:00

His Majesty
His interviews whilst promoting the book show the more balanced Keith, so this could be taken as a sign the more negative focused angles are a result of James Fox and/or pressure from book company to include some harder edge and dirt.

Especially the latter.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 22, 2013 17:12

His Majesty

... perhaps Keith just had a load of shit he needed to get off his chest in more direct, unbalanced way.

This is the ONLY reading key the book.

This is why he probably hasn't even read whole the book himself.

He had to get it out. That's it.

And much of what came out, well I found it quite moving. In the vain of Keith's great piano ballads.

Then, of course, the editor and Fox jumped on the wagon and empathized a series of statements rather than trying to dig the meaning of the words. But things go this way, its a fact.

As a result, we have a very uneven book. There are moments of pure brilliance, others that are quite dull-

But it remains the best Rolling Stones read to date.

C

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 22, 2013 17:24

liddas
His Majesty

... perhaps Keith just had a load of shit he needed to get off his chest in more direct, unbalanced way.

This is the ONLY reading key the book.

This is why he probably hasn't even read whole the book himself.

He had to get it out. That's it.

And much of what came out, well I found it quite moving. In the vain of Keith's great piano ballads.

Then, of course, the editor and Fox jumped on the wagon and empathized a series of statements rather than trying to dig the meaning of the words. But things go this way, its a fact.

As a result, we have a very uneven book. There are moments of pure brilliance, others that are quite dull-

But it remains the best Rolling Stones read to date.

C

thumbs upthumbs up

Historically for me Keith has been a focus of Hero Worship, tempered I hope in later years by a bit of maturity and healthy cynicism.

We've seen and heard enough of Keith in recent years to read between the lines and deduce that he seems a very nice bloke, with a few insecurities and the odd chip or two on his shoulder. Much like any other average guy in that respect.

Given that he's spent the last 40 years or so in some detached world, where nobody says "no" and everybody else cleans up after you, it's suprising that he's come out the other end as "normal" as he evidently is.

Same goes for Mick really. Very diiferent people but both obviously very grounded and normal when not "in character".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 17:39 by Spud.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home