Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Philly 2 Revisited (June 18 & 21, 2013)
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 20, 2013 22:17

Took a Greyhound to Philly for the 6/21 concert. Never rode a Greyhound before. grinning smiley Not sure if I'd do it again. But I got a good story out of it.

Walked around the city during the afternoon. Philly's Chinatown was cool.

Then walked to the arena. Phillies game too, so two parking lots of fun.

My cheap seat. First time on Ronnie's side. Usually with these "production type-seats", I go with Keith's side.

I didn't bother with a hotel room. Just walked around the city all night, till my bus departed ~7am.

Left this dude some food. Was suprised with the amount of people living on the streets. Especially by the bus station.

This is where I ended up. Got kicked outta the bus station. It was boring outside with the taxi drivers. So I walked around the block and set up camp and waited for my bus.

Who else went to the Philly concerts? Share pics and stories, if you got 'em.

Re: Philly 2 Revisited (June 18 & 21, 2013)
Date: October 20, 2013 22:58

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 20, 2013 23:24

My wife and I were there for the second show. Great city and nice people. I couldn't get over all the homeless along the streets and in the parks, Best show of the tour out of the 5 that I attended.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 21, 2013 00:03

I went to the second Philly show, 35 years to the week after my first Stones on the same site (Wells Fargo Center is built on the land where JFK Stadium used to be). It was a better show than the one I saw the one I saw there 35 years ago and better than the one I saw in DC three days later, a few bobbles notwithstanding. Aaron Neville was a worthy guest. Can't You Hear Me Knocking was one for the bucket list. I drove from DC, saw the show, and was back home before 3 am.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 21, 2013 00:49

ab
I went to the second Philly show, 35 years to the week after my first Stones on the same site (Wells Fargo Center is built on the land where JFK Stadium used to be). It was a better show than the one I saw the one I saw there 35 years ago and better than the one I saw in DC three days later, a few bobbles notwithstanding. Aaron Neville was a worthy guest. Can't You Hear Me Knocking was one for the bucket list. I drove from DC, saw the show, and was back home before 3 am.
I came from NJ and it was the only show I saw this tour. I had to ask my work for the day off because it was Friday and I was nervous they might have a problem. I told my boss and he asked what I needed the day off for. I said "oh, you know, some Rolling Stones concert that my dad got us tickets for" (even though I was the one that bought the tickets and had to beg him to go). To my surprise my boss said "The Stones?! I saw them at JFK Stadium on the Some Girls tour. They were awesome! I'd be upset if you didn't go!"

One of the coolest moments in recent memory. It was only my second or third week at work and I didn't know much about my boss, let alone that he was a Stones fan, and this couldn't have been a better conversation starter. One of those very odd moments where being a 20 something Stones fan was valued and put me in a great position with my boss. Ended up giving me great assignments and an excellent letter of recommendation, with the Stones concert being my first real connection with him. Mindblowingly good show and I got video of When The Whip Comes Down for my boss grinning smiley .

Date: October 21, 2013 02:48

RollingFreak
I came from NJ and it was the only show I saw this tour. I had to ask my work for the day off because it was Friday and I was nervous they might have a problem. I told my boss and he asked what I needed the day off for. I said "oh, you know, some Rolling Stones concert that my dad got us tickets for" (even though I was the one that bought the tickets and had to beg him to go). To my surprise my boss said "The Stones?! I saw them at JFK Stadium on the Some Girls tour. They were awesome! I'd be upset if you didn't go!"

One of the coolest moments in recent memory. It was only my second or third week at work and I didn't know much about my boss, let alone that he was a Stones fan, and this couldn't have been a better conversation starter. One of those very odd moments where being a 20 something Stones fan was valued and put me in a great position with my boss. Ended up giving me great assignments and an excellent letter of recommendation, with the Stones concert being my first real connection with him. Mindblowingly good show and I got video of When The Whip Comes Down for my boss grinning smiley .

That's awesome!

I enjoyed this one.

Date: October 21, 2013 03:13

I thought this was surprisingly a highlight of the show. Keith blew me away right from the start of the show. He was on, and their cameraman knew it halfway through the song.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 21, 2013 03:46

RollingFreak
I thought this was surprisingly a highlight of the show. Keith blew me away right from the start of the show. He was on, and their cameraman knew it halfway through the song.

That's the most playing I've seem Keith do in years, doing all his Chuck Berry runs etc. Well done!! None of that BS posing and mugging.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 21, 2013 05:31

That is classic Keith on IORR there really, really good. Keith did not do a lot of posing on this tour. I think he has to concentrate more now and its helped his playing.

Date: October 21, 2013 05:43

I wish there was a camera on my section of the audience once Keith took that solo. Before the solo, you see him doing a bunch of stuff, and everyone around me already knew by that point he was on. So we were cheering in anticipation of solo, knowing he was gonna kill it. Then literally, our jaws were to the floor. Hadn't seen him play that well in... well, a long time. I'm exaggerating a bit, but it really was this shot in the arm that no one was expecting. I was amazed and smiling ear to ear out of sheer happiness for Keith, and knew then and there it was going to be an amazing show. His tone was so freaking clear and loud that it was just the best thing ever. I was on his side too which helped. We were watching him the whole time.

I'm biased of course, but IMO this is one of the top 10 videos of the tour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-21 05:48 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 21, 2013 05:47

I WAS THERE,BASICALLY IN SAME SECTION AS MING..HAD AN AWESOME TAILGATE..
TOOK TIME TO REFLECT ON ALL THE SHOWS I HAD SEEN AT THAT COMPLEX SINCE 1989,KNOWING IT WAS MOST LIKELY THE LAST TIME I WOULD GET TO SEE THEM IN PHILLY.SHOW WAS FANTASTIC AS WAS THE 1ST PHILLY SHOW.
I LISTEN TO BOOTS FROM BOTH ALL THE TIME.
IT WAS A BLAST,BEST TIME IVE HAD AT 20 SHOWS SINCE 1989.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:56

triceratops
RollingFreak

That's the most playing I've seem Keith do in years, doing all his Chuck Berry runs etc. Well done!! None of that BS posing and mugging.

All this, and he started in the correct key (cool smiley! Three nights later, he started IORR in the wrong key and had to start over.

Date: October 21, 2013 12:05

RollingFreak

In standard tuning he's never posed as much as with his open G-tuning smiling smiley

He played like this on IORR throughout the tour, except for @#$%& up a few intros thumbs up

Date: October 21, 2013 13:00

Another solid performance. I thought Lisa did a great job, Keith too!

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: October 21, 2013 13:08

Philly 2 was my best show on the US trip. But I think I told you that already much to much.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: October 21, 2013 15:14

MingSubu
Another solid performance. I thought Lisa did a great job, Keith too!

great!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 16:06

strongest show of the tour by far. Shelter, Rambler, CYHMK are all best of tour versions in my opinion. the Whip is ferocious and the aaron neville guest was one of the best guest spots of the tour. if you've gone to multiple shows over the years you know what i'm talking about. keith is super focused. mick talks a little bit more to the audience. some shows just jump right out at you as being special and this is one of them.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 21, 2013 16:56

Yes... best of the 4 shows that I saw also (Newark 2x, Philly 2x).

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: October 21, 2013 16:59

Philly 1 was pretty damn good, also! Mick seemed extra inspired by the crowd and was into being in Philly - the mayor declared it Rolling Stones week and gave them a little liberty bell that was onstage for both nights, I think. One of the highlights was Brad Paisley on Dead Flowers - great guitar playing inspired Ronnie to take it up a notch, too.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: October 21, 2013 17:48

Love Philly

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: October 21, 2013 18:02

MingSubu
Took a Greyhound to Philly for the 6/21 concert. Never rode a Greyhound before. grinning smiley Not sure if I'd do it again. But I got a good story out of it.

Walked around the city during the afternoon. Philly's Chinatown was cool.

Who else went to the Philly concerts? Share pics and stories, if you got 'em.

I think I was right in front of you, thank you for not getting the back of my bald head in your awesome pictures!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 21, 2013 22:41

I have some pictures and I would put them up, but they pale in comparison to MingSubu's. I do have to say though, your greyhound bench shots are a little sad...I would have given you a sofa to rest on had I known you were wondering the streets of Philly until the wee hours. grinning smiley

I can't say enough great things about my Philadelphia Stones experience...so I'll just echo IrisC...love Philly. smiling smiley

Posted by: MJRocksoff ()
Date: October 22, 2013 00:10

I was in the front side row at the Philly 2 show! I can see myself in one of your 6/21 pics. I was wearing an exile shirt, got a set list and had the best Stones concert of my life being that close and having Mick and Keef look right at me. What a night. Great post

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 22, 2013 00:49

From deciding to go to my last show on the tour, to seeing the GT band at Xfinity, to losing one tailgate party and meeting new enthusiastic and gracious fan/friends at another, much smaller one, to seeing Philly 1, to the after-party, I must agree with you, UGot2, it was a very, very good show.

Oh, yeah, did I mention winning a pit seat with an 85.00 mystery ticket??? Thank you, S, you know who you are, for splitting the pair with me, speaking of new friends. Greeting Bjornulf there was nice too! It almost made up for the outrageous room rate at the Holiday Inn, my choice to be close to the venue and accessible back to the airport. Then too there was the RS photo show at the Calderwood Gallery, what an experience, talking with the owners with photographs from each eras all around.

Here is a pic she took of Mick on the rim from where we where in the tongue:

Excuse the blurriness, por favor...Mick did quite a few laps around the tongue or to and from the stage
to mid-tip, so to speak. cool smiley

Thanks for asking!

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 22, 2013 01:27

latebloomer
I have some pictures and I would put them up, but they pale in comparison to MingSubu's. I do have to say though, your greyhound bench shots are a little sad...I would have given you a sofa to rest on had I known you were wondering the streets of Philly until the wee hours. grinning smiley
quote]

It was sad. The ones I spoke to, were very nice. It may sound mean, but I enjoyed hanging with some of them.

Latebloomer, thank you for the offer! Very kind. Please post your pics, everyone post pics. Mine are so blurry, I get a headache looking at them.

I was never in Philly before. Just driven through, or around. I was just on a vacation during April and May and I didn't want to be away from my dog for long again. So Philly was just a overnight thing. I love walking around places and figured for one night, I'm getting the taste of Philly. I'll sleep when I'm older, or dead. smiling smiley I had so much fun! Walking all around. Seen a few very cool looking buildings and how some were lit up. In the early hours, it was just surreal at times. During the day, the museum and Chinatown was a blast.

Philly kicked ass!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home