Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: 18 Beatles Songs John Lennon Hated
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 18, 2013 23:35

For those who love Let It Be........for does who don't just skip it

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 19, 2013 00:07

NICOS

It amazes me anyone can dislike that song.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 19, 2013 00:26

No-one had written better songs than Yesterday-Hey Jude-Let it be 'xcept for Lennon or Jagger/Richards....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 19, 2013 00:54

Likes, dislikes, it's all subjective.

It always amazed producer George Martin to find that Lennon also hated his own singing voice and was always asking him to "do something with it", when Martin himself always thought Lennon had the best of voices.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 19, 2013 06:05

I mean how can George Martin be so underestimated. It is so easy to arm chair history from 2013. Rock music of the 50s and early 60s was simple and records followed a pretty typical pattern. Martin and The Beatles met at the perfect time to bring on a perfect storm of innovation and purpose. The Beatles were hyper sensitive and offended by older upper crust people telling them how to live and what can and cannot be done. Martin heard something exciting that unlocked the potential for creative innovation and adventure and leaped in head first. Martin was able to help bring out the vision and ideas the Beatles heard in their heads. The man was truly the fifth Beatle. Again, it is so typical of people now to not have the experiential frame of mind to truly appreciate how exciting and adventurous it all was. Listen to the Mono box set, or better yet spin a mono album from The Beatles and you will truly appreciated what Martin did.

Date: October 19, 2013 19:48

whitem8
I mean how can George Martin be so underestimated. It is so easy to arm chair history from 2013. Rock music of the 50s and early 60s was simple and records followed a pretty typical pattern. Martin and The Beatles met at the perfect time to bring on a perfect storm of innovation and purpose. The Beatles were hyper sensitive and offended by older upper crust people telling them how to live and what can and cannot be done. Martin heard something exciting that unlocked the potential for creative innovation and adventure and leaped in head first. Martin was able to help bring out the vision and ideas the Beatles heard in their heads. The man was truly the fifth Beatle. Again, it is so typical of people now to not have the experiential frame of mind to truly appreciate how exciting and adventurous it all was. Listen to the Mono box set, or better yet spin a mono album from The Beatles and you will truly appreciated what Martin did.

smileys with beer

Date: October 20, 2013 00:06

whitem8

Date: October 20, 2013 01:09

Ok stonehearted, that is a cryptic picture to post in your reply. IS it meaning you think Martin is antiquated, or people don't recognize the past to put the present into perspective?

Date: October 20, 2013 01:13

whitem8
Ok stonehearted, that is a cryptic picture to post in your reply. IS it meaning you think Martin is antiquated, or people don't recognize the past to put the present into perspective?

I think he's agreeing with you...isn't that a DITTO?!

Date: October 20, 2013 01:33

Hey thanks for the cheers treaclefingers....by the way, do you like good Sri Lankan treacle?? Love it!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 20, 2013 01:39

Come On
No-one had written better songs than Yesterday-Hey Jude-Let it be 'xcept for Lennon or Jagger/Richards....

Many are as good and way better.

Date: October 20, 2013 02:51

treaclefingers
whitem8

I think he's agreeing with you...isn't that a DITTO?!

Yes, correct! Anyone who attended grade school up to the 1970s the distinctive aroma the blue ink added to papers fresh out of the DITTO machine.

whitem8, I just thought I'd try something different from the usual +1, thumbs-up, or word ditto.

Maybe in future I'll just post a Xerox machine--but who says "Xerox!" when echoing someone's sentiments?

I could post an image of an HP laser printer--or even a scanner.

Nah, I'll just stay with the good old, antiquated DITTO machine.

Date: October 20, 2013 05:19

Ditto that! Yeah I used to love the smell of those dittos, and always volunteered to pass them out in class...

Historical perspective is so important, and often is overlooked by us all. Thinking of George Martin, the man was a visionary and a genius. He went from producing Spike Mulligan and other odd records to hearing a vision for a small dance hall rock n' roll band. He perfectly conveyed the excitement of The Beatles live Cavern sound and keenly used their charisma, vocals, and encouraged them to write. How could he be overrated? I read the interview where Lennon rails on Martin and how he wanted to re-record everything, but that was Lennon! He loved to hit people's beliefs where they lived, and he was famously fickle and insecure.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 20, 2013 07:58

whitem8

I agree that the Beatles were perfectly timed. Lets look at from a historical perspective. Age wise the Beatles were a good 3-5 years older than their later peers like the Stones, Who, Kinks, etc. This meant that they were able to be accomplished musicians and writers by the time the Stones started performing! While they were taking England by storm in 1963, the US wasn't quite ready for them until November 22 1963, when JFK, a young vibrant President, was assasinated. In February of 1964 much of America was still looking for the youth and vitality of Kennedy. The Beatles perfect timing made them fill that void. No doubt that the Beatles would have been seen as something different musical, in the same vein as Sinatra was in the 40's, Elvis in the 50's and even Dylan in the 60's, but as a cultural phenom it would be hard to assume that they would have had as much success if they come a few months earlier to the US or a few months later.

Date: October 20, 2013 16:22

Come On

Sorry, but what the hell did Lennon to do with Yesterday-Hey Jude-Let it Be?

I'll agree though that in that genre MACCA is fairly untouchable in terms of quality and consistency. To write even one of those songs would be a historic achievement in music.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 22, 2013 08:43

Some of you here have a real gift of spoiling an otherwise interesting thread for many ppl here. I wish you would just go and tend to threads you are actually interested in in a positive way.

John and George not speaking for years? Didn't realise or had forgotten. Never read George's autobio but find it amazing that he would not mention Lennon. How could he avoid it?

Date: October 22, 2013 09:08

OzHeavyThrobber
John and George not speaking for years? Didn't realise or had forgotten. Never read George's autobio but find it amazing that he would not mention Lennon. How could he avoid it?

Yes, that's a strange omission, and I think Lennon was both surprised and hurt by that. Strange because they were friendly in the days after The Beatles split up, with George even playing on Lennon's Imagine album. It could be that he just resented Yoko's complete absorption of John's company so much so that perhaps she wound up negating any possibility of them (he and John) being social in later years, because wherever John was she would also be, and that would have hearkened back to bad memories of later Beatle days when George was no longer interested in being in the group. Recall also that George invited John to perform at the Bangladesh concert but when Lennon informed George that Yoko too would be onstage with him George forbade it, so with Yoko not being allowed to perform John refused as well to take part. It is perhaps after this point that John and George stopped talking.

But according to a new book that has just come out, the one in the band that George really had a problem with was Paul, as confirmed by George's wife Patti:

"George saw Paul as difficult," she said. "They would tolerate each other, but I think George basically didn’t like Paul’s personality. I just think they really didn’t love each other."

The book is titled Behind The Locked Door by Graeme Thomson.

Full details at: [www.gigwise.com]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 22, 2013 09:17

OzHeavyThrobber
Never read George's autobio but find it amazing that he would not mention Lennon. How could he avoid it?

You should read it, though it's not an interestng read. Lennon was pissed becaue he wasn't mentioned enough. That tells of an ego problem. The book was a limitied eidion of George's song manuscripts with some commentary. The first part has him in a foul mood on just about everything except India and Monty Python.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 22, 2013 10:49

Also, Lennon and Harrison accordingly had a row backstage during George's Madison Square Garden concerts in 1974.

Paul and George slowly made up in the 1980's. It's worth to remember, that Harrison was famously quite negative about many things, whereas Paul tries to be a fairly optimistic human being. No wonder there were some personality clashes...

Not to take McCartney in favour here, but he has often been seen as a cynical money-grabber. Actually, during the break-up in the 1970's, it was Lennon who didn't want to sign the disolvation papers, because he feared he wouldn't get enough money to himself.

And Harrison agreed to do the Anthology because he had lost money on his film company.

Date: October 22, 2013 18:13

Blueranger
Also, Lennon and Harrison accordingly had a row backstage during George's Madison Square Garden concerts in 1974.

Paul and George slowly made up in the 1980's. It's worth to remember, that Harrison was famously quite negative about many things, whereas Paul tries to be a fairly optimistic human being. No wonder there were some personality clashes...

Not to take McCartney in favour here, but he has often been seen as a cynical money-grabber. Actually, during the break-up in the 1970's, it was Lennon who didn't want to sign the disolvation papers, because he feared he wouldn't get enough money to himself.

And Harrison agreed to do the Anthology because he had lost money on his film company.

So, we can thank Madonna that the Beatles Anthology was released?

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 22, 2013 18:58

treaclefingers
Blueranger

You can put it that way, if you will... winking smiley

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: October 22, 2013 19:28

Blueranger

Out of the fab four George was by far the least "corrupted" by the fact he... was a Beatle - and that goes for good, and for bad. I never saw, or read, and post Beatles interview of him in which one gets a feeling of him "diving" into the seductive golden glamour image of being a Beatle. John Lennon was trashing the Beatles as long as others were not doing the same: he definitely was still la proud Beatle. Paul and Ringo never, for a moment, ignored their "Beatlehood" - all 3 might have had reasons to resent certain aspects and times, but surely the always remained sort of "beatles".

Not like that with George: He was cynical and often bitter, in a funny way, towards this past: I remember an interview of him during the 80s (Australian TV show?) during which he mocked Paul's current career in a polite, yet nasty way. I can throw his image into any of our daily life and find the private 40 years old George Harrison many of us know in our personal life: funny and sharp guy but not the person you can enjoy. When you think about it: he definitely did not get too much support from L&M while in the late stage of the Beatles Career he was producing some of the finest songs they had! and then it ended - just as he was at his peak. Subconsciously he must have resented both of them and having a certain vindictive aspect in his personality I think that he wasnt able to put things behind even in the 80s. George was always my "favorite" Beatle and always felt for me as if you cannot "not love him" but often really hate the way he smashes the fairytale.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 22, 2013 19:30

tomk
OzHeavyThrobber
Never read George's autobio but find it amazing that he would not mention Lennon. How could he avoid it?

You should read it, though it's not an interestng read. Lennon was pissed becaue he wasn't mentioned enough. That tells of an ego problem. The book was a limitied eidion of George's song manuscripts with some commentary. The first part has him in a foul mood on just about everything except India and Monty Python.

I think maybe Lennon wanted from George [in his book] more expression of the emotional connectedness that they once had during the early Beatle years. Given the fact Lennon claims to have supported George in his first songwriting efforts (and fulfilled a big brother or hero role for George). But something must've happened sometime in later 68' and perhaps with Yoko entering the picture between John and George. Perhaps blood was spilled, never to have fully returned to whatever closeness they may have had during the early Beatle years.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 22, 2013 19:31

treaclefingers
Blueranger

Lady Madonna?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: October 22, 2013 19:38

Elmo Lewis
treaclefingers
Blueranger

Lady Madonna?

she's a woman...but she ain't no lady.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 22, 2013 19:47

she's a woman...

My love don't give me presents ......

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 27, 2013 07:34

Thanks guys. Interesting stuff.

I read a book that was specifically about the Beatles financial affairs during and post being together caller "You never give me you money". A great book but ironically hard to read. It was so miserable. I don't believe I could have tolerated lennon in any sense given I think he may have been diagnosed with Bi Polar Syndrome or some other mental disease as he was as Keith stated once of Mick - "a great bunch of guys".

Geoarge appears hat he would have benefited from some kind of antidepressant to balance his mood as he was either friendly or an utter drudge. It comes across beautifully in the Anthology series. One interview he's dull, negative and quite damning of many things and people in a very tongue in cheek way and then in others he's rather illuminated and it's easy to see why somebody would be drawn into the orbit of his company and want to remain in it.

I don't know why McCartney gets slammed. I can't recall him ever saying a nasty thing about anyone in an interview. He may come across a little plastic but he was dealt a hand of fame at the likes of which nobody had ever experienced before almost overnight in his late teens. The way he coped is the front he puts up and I think that remains to this day.And he really is a decent human being. All he's ever done is promote the idea of love fundamentally and that carries over into his personal life even with regard to the treatment of animals. I admire him.

Ringo. Well if he still drank I'd love to get pissed with him smoking smiley Plus to boot I think he's the most underrated drummer in history.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 27, 2013 10:37

treaclefingers
NICOS

It amazes me anyone can dislike that song.

It's not bad of course that Let ie be version is good but the Long and winding road is sooo much better.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 27, 2013 10:44

A day in the life is their masterpiece. It's not matched by anything anyone's done. Except Gimme Shelter by the Stones. A song like Hey Jude is not that great, it appears great because of the outro but the outro hasnt aged well. Maccas screams never soudned right. The song is great but theres not true greatness in the song, it's not one of their masterpieces. There's true greatness in Julia, Blackbird, Happiness is a warm gun, Long long long or Mother nature's son, Come together or She came in through, or I want you. But those are not masterpieces.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 27, 2013 14:44

Redhotcarpet
A day in the life is their masterpiece. It's not matched by anything anyone's done. Except Gimme Shelter by the Stones. A song like Hey Jude is not that great, it appears great because of the outro but the outro hasnt aged well. Maccas screams never soudned right. The song is great but theres not true greatness in the song, it's not one of their masterpieces. There's true greatness in Julia, Blackbird, Happiness is a warm gun, Long long long or Mother nature's son, Come together or She came in through, or I want you. But those are not masterpieces.

Thanks. Great to get some facts and not just opinions.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home