Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: 18 Beatles Songs John Lennon Hated
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 15, 2013 16:47

Come On
mmm and McCartney's 'London Town' or Harrison's 'Extra Texture must be examples of the worst ones...

There's loads of 'em that are so much worse .... depressingly enough.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: October 15, 2013 17:21

Elmo Lewis
Did he list the Yoko songs he hated? Maybe not enough time or space......

"ALL" has only 3 cases in it.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: October 15, 2013 17:33

bob r
Love John...always have...but he had a real tendency to shit all over his work and the rest of the Beatles whenever he has having a tough day or going through therapy or whatever, only to turn around a year or two later when questioned about it and say "Well...I didn't REALLY mean it like that"....etc

you had to take Lennon with a grain of salt.... he loved to shoot his mouth off and so may time had to take it back

It's been a real long time since I read it, but most of this article sounds like it comes from the Playboy Interviews book, where he was interviewed right before his death. They went through every single song the Beatles did, mainly who wrote what, it's not nearly as totally negative as it's made out to sound here. His main beef before his death was with George, not Paul.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 15, 2013 18:11

Wroclaw
Elmo Lewis

"ALL" has only 3 cases in it.

thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 15, 2013 18:21

Elmo Lewis

or guts...I'd guess this is one area where he didn't mouth off.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 15, 2013 18:31

tatters
Come On
mmm and McCartney's 'London Town' or Harrison's 'Extra Texture must be examples of the worst ones...

There's loads of 'em that are so much worse .... depressingly enough.

McCartney II, for example. "Temporary Secretary", anyone?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 15, 2013 19:03

See fans have very diverse tastes. I for one love London Town. A weird mix of music, some great stuff on it. Backwards Traveler, Cafe on the Left Bank, Deliver Your Children, Name and Address...great album!
George's stuff post Walls and Bridges up to Cloud 9 didn't do much for me. A few great songs on each, but the production and style seemed to desperately stay contemporary. Listening to George's recent release Early Takes Vol 1 was revelatory with songs like Woman Don't Cry For Me, with the sparse acoustic version far superior to the version on 33 and 1/3. It is a shame that George's inner instincts for more sparse arrangements didn't hold sway. There are several interviews with Harrison while remixing All Things Must Pass where he states he never liked the production of it, not a big fan of the wall of sound and too busy and he wished he could remix the entire album. He said he wanted a simple sound on Brainwashed, yet Jeff Lynn and Dhani added a bit, but not too much, and it is one of the few Lynn produced albums that doesn't sound like ELO!

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: October 15, 2013 19:31

This comes from the guy who thought YOKO was a talented artist! I had to post this video it makes me cry with laughter every time I watch it.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 15, 2013 20:07

Totally agree, he couldhave added 100 more songs

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 16, 2013 01:34

fleabitmonkey

This comes from the guy who thought YOKO was a talented artist! I had to post this video it makes me cry with laughter every time I watch it.

i laughed just as hard the 10th time i saw that video as i did the 1st time,it just never gets old.its one of those "what the hell just happened?" moments.

why did she flip out and start making those noises? and why is everyone acting like nothing happened? chuck berry probably thought "damn,lennons wife has tourettes syndrome,i'll just play it cool"

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: October 16, 2013 01:47

so Lennon and I agree!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 16, 2013 03:14

What's the New Mary Jane

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 16, 2013 03:18

I'm reasonably sure I hate more than just 18 Beatles songs...on the other hand, I probably hate even more Rolling Stones songs than that...and that's just off the last 3 studio albums! (not including the deluxe sets mind you)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 16, 2013 08:17

I hate 0 songs from Beatles or Stones....sad smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: October 16, 2013 09:15

John and I have exactly the same opinions.
I could also add quite a few of Paul's to that list as well.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 16, 2013 11:03

tatters
slew
Gee Lennon picked those and left Revolution 9 off the list. That is pure CRAP!

Funny how he said that "Let It Be" had nothing to do with the Beatles. Revolution 9 really had nothing to do with the Beatles!

Actaully they both do: Rev. 9 is the best piece of avantarde music by anyone and could have been a solo work on and Let it be is the worst ballad ever written and could have been a solo work.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 16, 2013 12:35

"Did he list the Yoko songs he hated? Maybe not enough time or space......"

Hahahaha.

Amen.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 16, 2013 12:36

Stonecat could you elaborate please?

"His main beef before his death was with George, not Paul."

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 16, 2013 12:41

fleabitmonkey
[]

Yeah, that's really funny, say "@#$%&" repeatedly, pretending he is Al Pacino from Scarface or something.
So this guy doesn't like Yoko Ono singing and apparantly that is good enough reason for wanting John to hit her? My my, women hitting is so cool indeed.
The only thing I find funny is the idea of John Lennon playing the guitar next to Chuck Berry in any case. I mean, Lennon might have had some talents in song writing (nothing compared to McCartney though, as he knew very well and his pithy jealousy proves it) but he sure was no guitar player compared to Chuck Berry. And I am not so fond of playing jolly old rock n roll as if it's a gramma Las Vegas act either, so I think the act of Yoko Ono is almost the only good thing, at least doing something outside the well-trodden path. Hey, rock n roll was supposed to be fun, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-16 12:43 by matxil.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 16, 2013 16:28

OzHeavyThrobber

George and John has not spoken or met for several years before John's death. John was very upset with George for not mentioning John in his Autobiography. John was hurt and said that George seemed to remember every obscure sideman he had played with but made no mention of John. And John went on to say he helped George with his writing and gave George a lot more time than Paul ever did.

John and Paul were back to being friends up to his death.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 16, 2013 16:54

ab
I get the sense that Lennon was a bit of an arse.

I think the word jerk best describes him.. A total Narcissist and a bore.

And what a surprise, he constantly wrote songs only about himself and his relationship with his wife and second child. I have never see anyone do this before. Narcissist .

Lennon was a great song writer, but I have to question the judgment of anyone who admires the person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-16 17:05 by stanlove.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 16, 2013 16:59

whitem8
OzHeavyThrobber

George and John has not spoken or met for several years before John's death. John was very upset with George for not mentioning John in his Autobiography. .

I remember when John stated flat out that John was Georges hero when they were younger.

I remember when someone told George about it and George was shocked that anyone could say something like that ( a Narcissist could ) and laughed that Lennon felt like that. It was pathetic.

John was the guy who said flat out he couldn't sing the song the Greatest because of obvious reasons. Real story...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-16 17:11 by stanlove.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: October 16, 2013 17:25

StonesCat

It's been a real long time since I read it, but most of this article sounds like it comes from the Playboy Interviews book, where he was interviewed right before his death. They went through every single song the Beatles did, mainly who wrote what, it's not nearly as totally negative as it's made out to sound here. His main beef before his death was with George, not Paul.

I have always felt like some of that Playboy interview was like, Lennon may have been exaggerating the negativity or his lack of interest in the songs, exaggerating his responses, because he was getting tired of going through every single one in the big long list that the interviewer brought with him. He says some very insightful stuff about obscure, minor songs in the early part of the interview, but by the time they get to Pepper and the White Album, he realizes he's still got so far to go, he's getting bored, and he realizes the interviewer is going to ask him EVERY SINGLE ONE, so he starts giving the really dismissive, flippant one-sentence answers "it's crap!" "That one sucked!" "Wasn't mine!" etc.

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: October 16, 2013 20:07

Matxil didn't mean to offend you, this is just a piece from a radio comedy show. For you to spin this into I condone hitting women is Laughable. I also find it funny that you consider Yoko's screeching singing.

Date: October 16, 2013 20:20

Come On
I hate 0 songs from Beatles or Stones....sad smiley

You my friend, need to get out of the house more often.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 16, 2013 22:44

fleabitmonkey
Matxil didn't mean to offend you, this is just a piece from a radio comedy show. For you to spin this into I condone hitting women is Laughable. I also find it funny that you consider Yoko's screeching singing.

I didn't mean to offend you either. Only the guy on that show. I didn't think it was funny. But then a sense of humour is a personal thing, right?

Call it singing, call it screeching, call it what you like. Still, Ono bashing is soooo 70s of the last century, I find.

I am not a fan of her, but she annoys me a lot less than Lennon.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 17, 2013 00:07

Wroclaw
John Lennon is the wet dream of any "List of # best/worst ever &*%$#'s" freaks. An extremely assertive person: Lennon and his opinions were like Keith Moon to Drumming and Hendrix to guitar showmanship: all 3 were great in doing that - the best as far as it goes for giving a show. All 3 died in young age just as they were starting their way down so as sad as their premature tragic death was: in some way, and remember we all die once (no more, no less), his tragic death came just in time as far as the legendary JL goes. I bet that had he grown old he would have made Macca look like the good one.

Anyway: 5-6 of these songs are crap but you do not have to be Lennon to know that. The rest are actually quite good.

sadly,what you are saying is true.the beatles and elvis had become a bit passe` in the 70's.elvis was considered washed up and the beatles were very much a 60's group that was great for their time but time had moved on.

its no suprise that johns only number 1 song during the entire 70s was a duet with elton john and paul was happily turning out pop jingles one after another.
ringo and george had all but disappeared after an initial success in the early part of the decade.

even sgt pepper,a record once considered a great leap in music was supplanted by pink floyds dark side of the moon.

but just like elvis,when lennon died all that changed.people were taking to the streets holding candlelight vigils.the same people who had ignored a pretty good record"rock and roll" 5 years before.

like someone once said"death is a great career move."

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 17, 2013 00:30

Totally disagree lem motlow, I don't even feel the need to explain it

Date: October 17, 2013 01:03

NICOS
Totally disagree lem motlow, I don't even feel the need to explain it

Me too...I wonder if lem was born after the 70s...doesn't sound as though he was there. Anyway, a very weak attempt at revisionist history.

The solo Beatles were ALL OVER the charts throughout the 70s, John's 5 year hiatus notwithstanding.

Didn't the Beatles even chart a top ten single with Got To Get You Into My Life in 76...ten years AFTER it was originally released on Revolver?

I'm willing to bet the Beatles catalogue, and solo stuff far outsold the Stones during the 70s.

Doesn't sound like a band people forgot about or left behind.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: October 17, 2013 01:12

beachbreak
Some of Paul's songs were.......nursery rhyme-ish, quite juvenile.

That's a good way to describe a lot of their songs, not just Paul's

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home