Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Q&A: Ginger Baker on Why 'the Rolling Stones Are Not Good Musicians
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 20, 2013 16:20

You got any LPs left to sell?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 20, 2013 16:27

what a grumpy old troll...I'm amazed at the composure of the interviewer...probably was laughing inside the entire time thinking, "this is gold!"

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 20, 2013 16:32

What a miserable bastard.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 20, 2013 16:37

His drumming used to be very good but the man always gave the impression of beeing a neurotic moron.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:23

windmelody
His drumming used to be very good but the man always gave the impression of beeing a neurotic moron.

Well he certainly seems to have lived up to that impression!

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:26

Actually I find the interview quite interesting and there are some funny moments. The man has nothing to lose and says what he wants. So different from all the politically correct shit we read all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-20 17:27 by Torres.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 20, 2013 19:20

Torres
So different from all the politically correct shit we read all the time.

Yet, not different at all from the people who intentionally say outlandish shit to get attention. Ginger is entitled to his opinion, but he's not some anti-PC crusader. Sometimes I think he just says stuff to live up to the reputation. These days his grumpy interviews are as famous as his drumming. Which is a shame, because his drumming should be what we always talk about concerning Ginger. He was amazing.

But I think the first paragraph of the story puts Ginger's statements into context...

"Former Cream drummer Ginger Baker's life has changed since he starred in the 2012 documentary Beware of Mr. Baker. He moved to England with his wife and teenage daughter after decades of living on a South African polo ranch with 38 horses. He also formed a new group, Ginger Baker's Jazz Confusion, with saxophonist Pee Wee Ellis, bassist Alec Dankworth and percussionist Abbas Dodoo out of an impromptu jam session in England – and now they're in the middle of a run at New York's Iridium Jazz Club, ending October 13th.

Personally, I'm not too bothered by Ginger's assessment. It's not the first time I've heard it. People have been telling me that since I was 16. The luthier I take my guitars to (a jazz purist from what I've gathered over the years) always gives me a little shit when I bring in my strat that has a Tongue Logo sticker on it. It's all in good fun, but it is his opinion, regardless of whether he jokingly says it or not. I used to know this old blues guy (well old to me, he was probably in his 50's and I was maybe 19) and he HATED them. He would rip them so hard, if he would mention their name at all. From the size of the chip on his shoulder about The Stones, I started to suspect he had been kicked out of the actual band or something.

Ginger is one of those guys where if it's not to his taste, then it's complete shit. Most people seem to be that way these days. Just read through the comments on this very board. Those guys are shit, these guys can't play, that style of music isn't music, etc. It's just that none of us are famous or have microphones being shoved in our faces. I don't feel any more threatened by Ginger's opinion of the band than I do the comments I read on YouTube, or other band message boards where I've seen more inflammatory messages than what Ginger said. Doesn't affect my love of the Stones, or my love of Cream/Ginger. I've taken a lot of shit over the years concerning my two favorite bands, and I've developed a thick skin. Catch me on a bad day or after prolonged bashing and I might get my nuts in a little twist and become a little defensive, but in the end it's just one man's opinion. And we all know what they say about opinions. That includes our own as well.

I've never been under the impression that The Stones were the best musicians ever. So Ginger isn't telling me anything I didn't know, he's just being extra grumpy ab out it. They were the right guys for the right sound. It's not ALL about technical skill. One does not need a lot of technical skill to play a song like "Come Together" for instance, you just need the imagination to dream it up in the first place. The funniest part to me was Ginger not even giving them credit for being good songwriters. Sorry Ginger, they can't all be "Pressed Rat And Warthog". He couldn't even give them a little bit of credit (other than his friend Charlie, which was really more of a backhanded compliment), which I think says more about Ginger than it does about The Stones.

Posted by: jaaiii ()
Date: October 20, 2013 19:58

One or two:

[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: October 20, 2013 21:02

The good thing about the Stones and the Beatles has always been they weren't best musicians but as a band far better than every brilliant individuals. Ginger is a very good bitter old drummer. Poor grumpy granny.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: October 20, 2013 21:54

This interview would be terribly funny if done when GB as a guest and the muppet show and questioned by Kermit the frog.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: October 20, 2013 22:10

Torres
Actually I find the interview quite interesting and there are some funny moments. The man has nothing to lose and says what he wants. So different from all the politically correct shit we read all the time.

I agree Torres. We live in the age of airbrushing, and people who are scared of allowing their real personality to come across in interviews. Ginger is just being himself, which I find makes a pleasant change to the usual boring by numbers interviews you normally get now. Baker has always been a grumpy person! Why should he start pretending to be something he is not? He doesn't like The Stones..... So what!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 20, 2013 23:42

It's easy to see why John "Rotten" Lydon likes him so much.

Date: October 20, 2013 23:46

stonehearted

I'm guessing that feeling isn't mutual.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 20, 2013 23:55

NoCode0680
stonehearted

Don't be so sure about that: Baker thought enough of him to play on PIL's Album.

Date: October 21, 2013 00:04

ab
NoCode0680
stonehearted

Don't be so sure about that: Baker thought enough of him to play on PIL's Album.

Yes, and according to Lydon they got on splendidly together. Here's an excerpt fron a 2007 online interview with Lydon where he answers questions posted by fans:

In 1981, when PiL were on their fifth drummer in 18 months, the NME ran an
April Fool news story about Ginger Baker joining the band. Was that why you hired him five years later?
Chris Cowan

Ha ha! Actually, I'm not keen on these spoof stories. I hear at least two about me every year. They might start out as some drunk arse having a wheeze, but it ends up being disruptive, like all gossip. The worst thing is that people often believe them! Anyway, Ginger Baker was an absolutely smashing bloke, as was everyone on Album. Steve Vai, Ravi Shankar, Ryuichi Sakamoto - we came together as friends. There was more talk than there was actual play, which was very important. And the late, great Tony Williams [legendary Miles Davis drummer] what a fantastic, wonderful human being. It's a shame that his music still isn't really appreciated. People don't know how to listen to humanity.

Full interview at: [www.johnlydon.com]

Date: October 21, 2013 00:30

stonehearted
ab
NoCode0680
stonehearted

Yes, and according to Lydon they got on splendidly together. Here's an excerpt fron a 2007 online interview with Lydon where he answers questions posted by fans:

In 1981, when PiL were on their fifth drummer in 18 months, the NME ran an
April Fool news story about Ginger Baker joining the band. Was that why you hired him five years later?
Chris Cowan

Ha ha! Actually, I'm not keen on these spoof stories. I hear at least two about me every year. They might start out as some drunk arse having a wheeze, but it ends up being disruptive, like all gossip. The worst thing is that people often believe them! Anyway, Ginger Baker was an absolutely smashing bloke, as was everyone on Album. Steve Vai, Ravi Shankar, Ryuichi Sakamoto - we came together as friends. There was more talk than there was actual play, which was very important. And the late, great Tony Williams [legendary Miles Davis drummer] what a fantastic, wonderful human being. It's a shame that his music still isn't really appreciated. People don't know how to listen to humanity.

Full interview at: [www.johnlydon.com]

That only makes his comments about The Stones funnier and contradictory. Or does he think the Sex Pistols were top notch jazz musicians?

Date: October 21, 2013 00:34

NoCode0680
That only makes his comments about The Stones funnier and contradictory. Or does he think the Sex Pistols were top notch jazz musicians?

Jazz in spirit--at least where PiL are concerned. I think Baker probably appreciates that Lydon is as anti-rock n roll as he is.

Date: October 21, 2013 00:44

stonehearted
NoCode0680

Jazz in spirit--at least where PiL are concerned. I think Baker probably appreciates that Lydon is as anti-rock n roll as he is.

I can see where Ginger would like John in that respect. But he went after the Stones for a lack of musicianship, not for their spirit.

Ginger: I won't go within 10 miles of a Rolling Stones gig.

Interviewer: Why is that?

Ginger: They're not good musicians, that's why.

So his mind would be changed if they talked a lot of shit like him and John?

I still think his opinion is valid, but he sounds pretty contradictory. I'm guessing there's more to his dislike of The Stones than just lack of musicianship, or he wouldn't go within 10 miles of a Sex Pistol either. I like them by the way, but they weren't great musicians either. I think Ginger should say what he REALLY thinks. If past interviews I've seen with him are any indicator, sour grapes over how much many they make (like his sour grapes over Bruce/Brown royalties) might play a part in that.

Date: October 21, 2013 00:51

NoCode0680
I think Ginger should say what he REALLY thinks. If past interviews I've seen with him are any indicator, sour grapes over how much many they make (like his sour grapes over Bruce/Brown royalties) might play a part in that.

Yes, possibly. Also, like many players of his caliber and genre, he could resent the fact that a form of music that requires less talent--hell, even no talent--becomes infinitely more popular than the music he loves.

Then again, regarding money, Ginger has historically been reckless when it comes to holding on to it, having gone flat broke several times over the years. The Cream reunion tour of 2005 netted him $5 million USD, and by 2010 it was all gone.

Date: October 21, 2013 01:05

stonehearted
NoCode0680
I think Ginger should say what he REALLY thinks. If past interviews I've seen with him are any indicator, sour grapes over how much many they make (like his sour grapes over Bruce/Brown royalties) might play a part in that.

Yes, possibly. Also, like many players of his caliber and genre, he could resent the fact that a form of music that requires less talent--hell, even no talent--becomes infinitely more popular than the music he loves.

Then again, regarding money, Ginger has historically been reckless when it comes to holding on to it, having gone flat broke several times over the years. The Cream reunion tour of 2005 netted him $5 million USD, and by 2010 it was all gone.

I've read, and this may be according to him, that he's been ripped off a few times over the years. Not that he's been very conservative with his money and only went broke because of being ripped off, but that he has had quite a bit stolen.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 21, 2013 01:11

I could not care less about any link pointing to that crappy ragazine... and as if we need another person bashing on the Stones, dont we have enough self appointed critics here already who go on and on and on and on about how they know the Stones suck?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-21 01:25 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 21, 2013 01:13

NoCode0680
I've read, and this may be according to him, that he's been ripped off a few times over the years. Not that he's been very conservative with his money and only went broke because of being ripped off, but that he has had quite a bit stolen.

Yes, the most recent case involved a bank clerk he hired to oversee his finances and who defrauded him of £30,000, a small sum in relation to the $5 million (USD) made from the Cream reunion:

Former Cream drummer Ginger Baker has said he is prepared to strip off in court to secure the prosecution of a woman who is alleged to have defrauded him out of £30,000.

Baker, who lives in South Africa, claims that bank clerk Lindiwe Noko conned him out of the money after he hired her to oversee his finances.

Noko argues that she was in a relationship with the 69-year-old drummer and that any money she received was given as a gift, an accusation strongly denied by Baker.

The drummer says he can prove the couple were never intimate by stripping off for the court, reports The Telegraph.

"I've a scar that only a woman who had a thing with me would know. It's there and she doesn't know it's there," Baker said. "I'm quite prepared to strip. It may well come down to it."

Baker is said to have paid Noko £7 a day for her support, along with perks including a digital camera and money to have an operation.

Noko denies 27 counts of fraud.

Story from: [www.nme.com]

Further details at: [www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: doster ()
Date: October 21, 2013 01:27

What a ray of sunshine! I feel sorry for the interviewer.

Date: October 21, 2013 01:48

doster
What a ray of sunshine! I feel sorry for the interviewer.

It's likely exactly what he wanted. The "controversial" and grumpy comments will likely generate much more interest in the article (especially among Who and Stones fans) than if it had been a cut and dry chat with Ginger. "Ginger Baker on Why 'the Rolling Stones Are Not Good Musicians'" makes for a very attention-grabbing headline. He also ripped on The Who, but that's not the headline, they're going for sensationalism here.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 21, 2013 01:55

I really don't understand why this article is getting such traction. This is the second thread about it. confused smiley And really--

strat72
Baker has always been a grumpy person! Why should he start pretending to be something he is not? He doesn't like The Stones..... So what!

That's all there is to say.

Date: October 21, 2013 02:01

Aquamarine
I really don't understand why this article is getting such traction. This is the second thread about it. confused smiley And really--

strat72
Baker has always been a grumpy person! Why should he start pretending to be something he is not? He doesn't like The Stones..... So what!

That's all there is to say.

I doubt anybody takes it too seriously or anything, but there's not a lof of Stones news right now. Two threads? Probably not required, but that's just a matter of the OP not reading the forum before starting a thread, not indicative of how big the story is.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 21, 2013 02:06

True, I suppose. I keep seeing people discussing it on other social media, though, too, and it's getting kinda old.

Start doing something, Stones, as of now!

Date: October 21, 2013 02:06

Well that does it... from now on I am picking Mary Ann in the "Ginger versus Mary Ann debate"... Ginger was always kind of grumpy.

Date: October 21, 2013 02:16

Max'sKansasCity
Well that does it... from now on I am picking Mary Ann in the "Ginger versus Mary Ann debate"... Ginger was always kind of grumpy.

Mary Ann is the correct answer anyway.

I won't go within 10 miles of Gilligans Island anyway. The Mosquitos were the only decent musicians there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-21 02:17 by NoCode0680.

Date: October 21, 2013 03:32

NoCode0680
Max'sKansasCity

Mary Ann is the correct answer anyway.

I won't go within 10 miles of Gilligans Island anyway. The Mosquitos were the only decent musicians there.
winking smiley smileys with beer

MARY ANN!!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home