Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Fleetwood Mac playing with a additional drummer?
Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: October 8, 2013 15:52

Had the opportunity to attend Fleetwood Mac at their German tour start in Cologne passed Sunday. The concert was excellent, but I detected a hidden drummer behind the stage. He's been playing drums hidden behind the stage during more than a half of the concert.sad smiley

So does anybody know more about that?

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac playing with a additional drummer?
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 8, 2013 16:33

Yeah, Charlie is drumming, underneath the stage.

jeroen

Posted by: backofmyhand ()
Date: October 8, 2013 16:42

i saw them yesterday
in amsterdam
concert was a bit boring
i don t understand why a great drummer need a second?
stones did in 75 with olie brown

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: October 8, 2013 16:58

Why hide it, bring him out front, nothing to be ashamed of.
Any reappearances of Christine McVie or is that a one off?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 8, 2013 17:02

I'n not familair with their current set or production but there are two likely explanations.

Either they want to better replicate the more complex percussion from some origininal recordings or Mick Feetwood just wants to make his job a bit more interesting and/or easier ;^).

That said, Fleetwood used to be able to hold down a shuffle beat and do a bleedin' drum solo all at the same time...so maybe he's just feeling his age a bit these days.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: October 8, 2013 17:03

I saw them at Jones Beach in NY over the summer.
Here is are a couple of the videos I took.

Lindsey Buckingham can still play well. But Stevie Nicks is losing her range.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 17:03 by steverogan.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: October 8, 2013 17:34

steverogan

Lindsey Buckingham can still play well. But Stevie Nicks is losing her range.

Yeah, the playing is the main draw now, I think. With the voices going, and no Christine, the vocal magic isn't really there anymore. It does have to be said though, that they've always sounded much better on record than on stage anyway.

Date: October 8, 2013 17:39

Floorbird
Why hide it, bring him out front, nothing to be ashamed of.
Any reappearances of Christine McVie or is that a one off?

In the UK
jeroen

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 8, 2013 18:21

steverogan

Before I start looking at these, does one of them show the hidden drummer ?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 8, 2013 18:40

When I saw them 10 years ago, the second drummer wasn't "hidden" per se. He was directly behind Mick which did make it hard for people on the floor to see him but anyone elevated past about the 10th row on the sides and back could see him. I'd say he played 1/4-1/3 the songs and looked to be only playing "time" and "basic fills/turnarounds". Mick was definately the primary drummer regardless of the other guy's involvement or not. I do know that my general impression was that I couldn't tell much of a difference in the sound from where I was sitting (on the side) but Mick seemed to be having a ton of fun for the entire show. If I had to guess, Spud's thoughts above are probably not to far off base.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: October 8, 2013 19:17

Koen
steverogan

yes... the "hidden drummer" is shown in at least one video.. now go look for him and tell us all where he is... kinda like "Hidden Pictures" when I was a kid- the drummer IS in at least one of them.. Find him and win a prize! Where is he? First one to point him out wins!

Date: October 8, 2013 19:31

Koen
steverogan

CHARLIE BASHER WATTS

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 8, 2013 19:57

When I saw them way back in 1990, they had a Ghanian percussionist named Isaac Asante playing with them...I believe he was part of the touring band from '87-'90 (after Lindsey had left).

Not sure what's going on this tour.

Date: October 8, 2013 20:17

mr_dja
When I saw them 10 years ago, the second drummer wasn't "hidden" per se. He was directly behind Mick which did make it hard for people on the floor to see him but anyone elevated past about the 10th row on the sides and back could see him. I'd say he played 1/4-1/3 the songs and looked to be only playing "time" and "basic fills/turnarounds". Mick was definately the primary drummer regardless of the other guy's involvement or not. I do know that my general impression was that I couldn't tell much of a difference in the sound from where I was sitting (on the side) but Mick seemed to be having a ton of fun for the entire show. If I had to guess, Spud's thoughts above are probably not to far off base.

Peace,
Mr DJA

From the credits for their 2003 "Live In Boston" DVD...

Taku Hirano – percussion
Steve Rinkov – additional drums

I'm guessing it's one of these guys still playing with them now.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 8, 2013 21:36

It's probably support, to carry Mick F through the show. In recent years the Moody Blues have done the same, added a second drummer--only this one is in full view--because their drummer can no longer sustain the energy level needed for a 2-hour show. He still plays, but the other drummer handles most of the heavy lifting, so that the original drummer can "let rip" on a few numbers.

It's not easy to maintain the same exertion level once you enter your sixties, which would seem to make the Wembley Whammer's continued effective attack all the more amazing, but he just stays with the basics and doesn't really hit the drums all that hard, as per his jazz training. But if Charlie had been more a John Bonham type drummer, he would have needed a supporting player onstage by now as well.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 9, 2013 23:18

Yes, I could see the hidden drummer all through the show from where I was seated at the O2. Wondered if he might be given a name check during the intriductions, but no - hidden he remained.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 10, 2013 11:19

...Saw'em in Antwerp, yesterday;
and yep - he was hard to spot, but he was there allright.

Strikes me as a bit odd: on the one hand, you can hardly say he's "hidden away", as long as you can see him sitting & playing; on the other hand, he was definitely put away from the public's eye - sitting behind the gigantic drum kit of Mick Fleetwood & the broad stack of amps of Lindsay Buckingham. So the least you can say about this is that they do a really poor job in hiding their hidden musicians.
Still: if he/she's playing with you, you should give the audience a clear view of that. Otherwise it smells like cheating.

And nope: no mention of him/her in the introductions.

P.S.: Stevie was quite good, actually. It's the harmonies with Lindsay (partly due to their changed voices; esp. Lindsay's) that don't go down that well anymore, imo.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: October 10, 2013 12:31

RoughJusticeOnYa
...Saw'em in Antwerp, yesterday;
and yep - he was hard to spot, but he was there allright.

Strikes me as a bit odd: on the one hand, you can hardly say he's "hidden away", as long as you can see him sitting & playing; on the other hand, he was definitely put away from the public's eye - sitting behind the gigantic drum kit of Mick Fleetwood & the broad stack of amps of Lindsay Buckingham. So the least you can say about this is that they do a really poor job in hiding their hidden musicians.
Still: if he/she's playing with you, you should give the audience a clear view of that. Otherwise it smells like cheating.

P.S.: Stevie was quite good, actually. It's the harmonies with Lindsay (partly due to their changed voices; esp. Lindsay's) that don't go down that well anymore, imo.

You're absolutely right! had the same thoughts at least. If anybody booked the "mick fleetwood experience" with a Q&A part, Mick should be asked.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 10, 2013 12:48

Gangster-of-love
RoughJusticeOnYa

You're absolutely right! had the same thoughts at least. [...] Mick (EDIT: Fleetwood) should be asked.

...HBwriter, here's your cue!! smoking smiley

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 10, 2013 23:55

Beast
Yes, I could see the hidden drummer all through the show from where I was seated at the O2. Wondered if he might be given a name check during the intriductions, but no - hidden he remained.

Yes, I noticed the same at Birmingham. They were happy to introduce all the other additional musicians and singers who weren't hidden away either. It makes it seem like they're definitely embarrassed about it but Mick Fleetwood is undoubtedly still playing very well live and still has an amazing energy level so why not come clean?

You can clearly see the "hidden" drummer here (from 3.00 onwards) but unless you are well above the stage he's well tucked away behind speakers.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 11, 2013 04:42

For additional drummers, guitarists, keyboard players what is your preference?

a) on stage
b) under the stage
c) behind the curtain
d) other

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-11 04:44 by triceratops.

Date: October 11, 2013 04:59

triceratops

a) on stage
b) under the stage
c) behind the curtain
d) other

On stage...or don't bother! I want to see who I'm hearing.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 11, 2013 05:02

triceratops

a) on stage
b) under the stage
c) behind the curtain
d) other

a) on stage... and in clear view. thumbs up

or

d) other = don't have any additional musicians. grinning smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 11, 2013 05:24

Having now viewed the video showing the "hidden" drummer, it looks as if he's standing. That means he's not really a drummer, because he's not playing anything with his feet, like a bass drum or high hat or ride cymbals. He appears to be merely augmenting and/or accenting with cymbals and snares and toms. So that makes him merely a "percussionist". He certainly doesn't appear to be doubling and therefore "carrying" the main drummer.

Date: October 11, 2013 05:38

He's seated, but bouncing about.

He's there playing with a lot of energy, but unlike the others doesn't get introduced.

That's a bit weird and quite shitty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-11 05:44 by His Majesty.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 11, 2013 16:37

When I saw them, I had a great view of the additional drumset, how it was used and the guy who played it. Although I have no "official inside information", it was my impression that this guy was/is Mick's roadie/drum teck who was just augmenting the sound at certain points of certain songs. Other times, when he wasn't playing, he gave Mick new sticks or brought drinks if I remember correctly. Although I don't think he was introduced when I saw them, he and Mick interacted throughout the show.

Interesting thoughts/feelings on the whole seeing/introducing auxilary musicians or not. Having been a "pit musician" myself, I guess I can see it both ways. While it's always nice to be seen & acknowledged, I don't know that I consider it necessary for myself as either the performer or the interested spectator. I guess if I had the choice, I'd choose seen & acknowledged but if it was determined that I was to be hidden and not introduced, I don't think that would be a "deal-breaker".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 11, 2013 17:49

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-22 09:10 by colonial.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 11, 2013 22:53

Maybe he's just shy?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-11 22:57 by MILKYWAY.

Date: October 11, 2013 22:57

MILKYWAY
Maybe he's just shy?

Or doesn't want to be mentioned.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 12, 2013 20:52

mr_dja
When I saw them, I had a great view of the additional drumset, how it was used and the guy who played it. Although I have no "official inside information", it was my impression that this guy was/is Mick's roadie/drum teck who was just augmenting the sound at certain points of certain songs. Other times, when he wasn't playing, he gave Mick new sticks or brought drinks if I remember correctly. Although I don't think he was introduced when I saw them, he and Mick interacted throughout the show (...)

Having seen them last night I very much agree with your thoughts on this. I'm not sure why he's really needed since Mick Fleetwood does bang them drums pretty hard! I'm not a drum solo fan but his solo in was really great, possibly helped by his "vocals". The additional drummer doesn't seem like he was playing during that solo.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home