Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: is gimme shelter the best stones song ever?
Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: September 30, 2013 01:20

Yep- by the stones or anyone else - most powerful song at a time when r&r was a cultural force that was feared by western governments. - voodoo mystique and message unequaled any time since

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 30, 2013 02:55

But, two songs from many which piss on this Gimme Shelter best ever song silliness from a great height.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 30, 2013 09:19

It's funny how much I absolutely love listening to it, but find it boring to play on guitar (I'm talking about the chords), since it's the same chords up and down the neck over and over. (I've never played it with a band, when I'd of course feel differently.)

Date: September 30, 2013 09:47

Title5Take1
It's funny how much I absolutely love listening to it, but find it boring to play on guitar (I'm talking about the chords), since it's the same chords up and down the neck over and over. (I've never played it with a band, when I'd of course feel differently.)

Well, there is a little more variation on the studio version...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 30, 2013 10:38

GS is a very nice and talented song, but does not have a chance in comparison with even the short version of the masterpiece ' Tell Me ' ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: September 30, 2013 15:09

MIDNIGHT RAMBLER.AN "OPERA BLUES" AS KEITH SAID

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: September 30, 2013 15:37

Well the one way to categorically answer this question in an objective way would be to acquire and to use a 'bestometer' on all Stones recordings to date.

Perhaps Bill will come up with one.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 30, 2013 15:46

A resounding YES, actually I'd nominate it for best rock song ever, nothing comes close really, like "A Day in the Life" is the best pop song, and when Mick and Lisa walked that b-stage at HP during GS, well...still gives me the chills!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 30, 2013 15:54

Wroclaw
GS is one of those songs you learn to appreciate only after you cross a certain age. I remember times when I couldnt understand whats it all about: the admiration etc. but now days its seen by me as the masterpiece by the RS. Many of the RS "greatest songs" are superb but you do not get the sence of 'em being genious. GS is definetly the one that should appeal to any none stones fan but a person who admires and appreciates masterpieces. I was lucky to be in HP2 where it was performed in a great way. Really like some of the 1972 MT fast versions too. even thouh they turn this song into a sort of rock fast track and leave behind all its dark evil sound of the studio version. Only the 1969 live versions (the few) really catch its original dark sound.

I've been a big fan of Gimme Shelter since I got my first copy of Let It Bleed for Christmas 1969, when I was 9. I couldn't even tell what Merry Clayton was singing, but the overall impact of the track was massive.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 30, 2013 16:27

His Majesty
But, two songs from many which piss on this Gimme Shelter best ever song silliness from a great height.

surprising choices but pretty good..

any others? this is instructive..

Date: September 30, 2013 16:41

Let's face it. There are other bands with stuff just as good as the Stones's best smiling smiley

Date: September 30, 2013 16:54

DandelionPowderman
Let's face it. There are other bands with stuff just as good as the Stones's best smiling smiley

yeah..
but that artwork is disturbing..

Date: September 30, 2013 16:59

duke richardson
DandelionPowderman

yeah..

A self portrait by this guy.

[www.batguano.com]

grinning smiley

Date: September 30, 2013 17:00

duke richardson

iorr would crash if I posted all of the songs I deem to be excellent. grinning smiley

Gimme Shelter is of course magic, but come on, it's ridiculous to call it the best song ever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-30 17:34 by His Majesty.

Date: September 30, 2013 17:07

His Majesty
duke richardson
DandelionPowderman

yeah..

A self portrait by this guy.

[www.batguano.com]

batguano..

personally, I prefer something a little more peaceful, an inviting kind of imagery..

grinning smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 30, 2013 17:07

Great band and a great album. Had it for 40+ years...

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 30, 2013 18:06

Satisfaction. Greatest song ever, too.

Date: September 30, 2013 18:47

michaelsavage
Satisfaction. Greatest song ever, too.

Greater than this?

Nah. grinning smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 30, 2013 19:46

DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1

Well, it's not utter repetition, and Keith has said the Jimmy Reed three-chords-up-and-down-the-neck is something the Stones have utilized successfully with a number songs, and I'd agreed. But I think the magic of GIMME SHELTER is in the Stones' presentation of it, and as a composition alone, it's nothing special. But I listen to the studio version all the time, and this extended outtake that's been posted her before (in case some missed it):

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 30, 2013 19:57

Wroclaw
GS is one of those songs you learn to appreciate only after you cross a certain age. I remember times when I couldnt understand whats it all about: the admiration etc. but now days its seen by me as the masterpiece by the RS.

Absolutely, when I first heard it on "Rolled Gold" when I was around 12 I didn't get it, The urgency of the lyrics of course but more to the point I found the music "boring" and preferred the more "melodic" songs from the mid-60's that were on the first LP. Now I can't get enough of it and I was floored when the isolated tracks version became available about three years ago.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 30, 2013 20:26

It's tied for #1 with the following songs:

#1. Jumpin Jack Flash
#1. Midnight Rambler
#1. Street Fighting Man
#1. Moonlight Mile
#1. Winter
#1. Don't Be A Stranger
#1. Out of Control
#1. Saint Of Me
#1. Like A Thief In The Night
#1. Sympathy For The Devil
#1. The Last Time
#1. You Can't Always Get What You Want
#1. 2000 Light Years From Home
#1. Almost Hear You Sigh
#1. It's All Over Now
#1. Get Off Of My Cloud
#1. Under My Thumb
#1. Ruby Tuesday
#1. Salt Of The Earth
#1. That's How Strong My Love Is
#1. Stray Cat Blues
#1. Rip This Joint
#1. Satisfaction
#1. Start Me Up
#1. Honky Tonk Woman
#1. Happy
#1. Before They Make Me Run
#1. Shattered
#1. One Hit To The Body
#1. Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker
#1. Sway
#1. Monkey Man
#1. Before They Make Me Run
#1. Child Of The Moon

#1. All of the rest minus Back To Zero.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-30 20:29 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 30, 2013 20:36

Title5Take1
DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1

Well, it's not utter repetition, and Keith has said the Jimmy Reed three-chords-up-and-down-the-neck is something the Stones have utilized successfully with a number songs, and I'd agreed. But I think the magic of GIMME SHELTER is in the Stones' presentation of it, and as a composition alone, it's nothing special. But I listen to the studio version all the time, and this extended outtake that's been posted her before (in case some missed it):

Isn't this an "outfake"?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 30, 2013 20:44

It's someones wonky mix of the seperates.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: September 30, 2013 20:53

What about JJF and Honky Tonk Women ?

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: September 30, 2013 21:12

Yes Gimme Shelter is their best EVER!! Can't think anything comes close to this. Satisfaction, JJF, Honky Tonk are great but not better.

John Nicholls

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 30, 2013 21:36

Deltics
Title5Take1
DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1

Isn't this an "outfake"?

Yes this is an outfake, since Gimmi Shelter is available as a Multi Track Recording I don't trust any new releases

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 1, 2013 05:48

No, even though it is my favorite song Satisfaction is the Rolling Stones best song.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 06:55

Yes.

Date: October 1, 2013 07:08

His Majesty
duke richardson

iorr would crash if I posted all of the songs I deem to be excellent. grinning smiley

Wow!!! iorr.org can still sometimes surprise. whodathunkit - Gimme Shelter and Satyam Shivam Sundaram in the same thread. What a pick your Majesty!thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 07:11 by wanderingspirit66.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 1, 2013 07:46

"is gimme shelter the best stones song ever?" It is if you think it is. My choice would be "Gomper" though...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home