Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: is gimme shelter the best stones song ever?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 2, 2013 16:50

I do NOT think they succeded to tranform it to live in 1969 but in 1972 they did. 1972 and....1975. Yes 1975. Reason is this piece of studio art, the best rock song ever recorded, changed in 1972 and 1975 and still had some of that haunting shelter feel to it. Different but haunting. That never ever happened again after 1975. The intro of the 75 version is overlooked. Preston actually breathed new air into the song. That synth-flute is fantastic.

the 1972 versions are fantastic. The intro is new and that year it was Hopkins and Watts who made the difference. The guitar intro is hard to change hence the importance of a great talent on keys.

Date: October 2, 2013 16:52

Can't find it, Eleanor...

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 2, 2013 16:54

There is no best Stones song ever.

Date: October 2, 2013 17:01

<That never ever happened again after 1975.>

Er, it happened on November 29th last year...

Personally, I think the version from the official LA Friday-album is superior to all the 72/73 version - mainly because of the energy.

The dangerous and haunting feeling from the 1969 versions were gone in 1972, 73 and 75, though. A glimpse of it came back with Florence Welsh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-02 17:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 2, 2013 17:56

DandelionPowderman
Can't find it, Eleanor...

Bugger..I'll have to get off my ar$e and find it.
Thanks anyway.

Yes..the 72/73 versions were brilliant in their own way..but more in the soaring solos of MT and Jagger's belting vocals!
But I prefer studio..and of coarse 1969 live as it captures the true essence of the song.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 2, 2013 18:35

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-22 09:13 by colonial.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 3, 2013 00:04

Listening to the live Altamont version a few times in a row and it manages to sound more dangerous and foreboding than the studio version! What a fookin sound that version has.

The studio version has that unique magical intro and amazing vocals, the later live versions have more whizz and fizz, but the Altamont version puts across such a heavy sound and feel. Oocha! hot smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 3, 2013 00:10

His Majesty
Listening to the live Altamont version a few times in a row and it manages to sound more dangerous and foreboding than the studio version! What a fookin sound that version has.

The studio version has that unique magical intro and amazing vocals, the later live versions have more whizz and fizz, but the Altamont version puts across such a heavy sound and feel. Oocha! hot smiley

This one ................most stunning haunting performance ever you sure need a shelter

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 3, 2013 00:18

thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 3, 2013 23:55

His Majesty
thumbs up

Only one thumbs up my friend "His Majesty"................this one deserved at least thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up up

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 4, 2013 00:31

If I have to pick just one, it's Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 4, 2013 05:21

There is no best Stones song ever.

Well 'Back To Zero' is the worst stones song ever, so maybe we can allow a 'best' as counterbalance?

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1189
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home