Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223
Current Page: 23 of 23
Re: OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 10, 2023 00:49

SomeGuy
Cristiano Radtke
There's a new album by Ray Davies titled Dog Fights & Shootouts that sounds like a soundtrack for a western movie. confused smiley

[open.spotify.com]

Not 'our' Ray Davies I don't think...

I think that as well. But when I click on Ray's name it directs me to his Spotify page, which is odd.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 10, 2023 19:47

Cristiano Radtke
SomeGuy
Cristiano Radtke
There's a new album by Ray Davies titled Dog Fights & Shootouts that sounds like a soundtrack for a western movie. confused smiley

[open.spotify.com]

Not 'our' Ray Davies I don't think...

I think that as well. But when I click on Ray's name it directs me to his Spotify page, which is odd.

Welcome to the world of algorhythms and, dare I say it, AI (sorry bv).

OT: Happy 77th Birthday Dave Davies
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 3, 2024 15:45

The original wild out of control teenage punk of the British Invasion...

Re: OT: Happy 77th Birthday Dave Davies
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: February 3, 2024 20:48

Happy Birthday Dave!

I always loved the original Kinks.
Still have most of their singles from back then.
Alas, then there were the feuds.
(the brothers, Mick Avory)

Now it's too late I think.
Just my 2 cts.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: February 5, 2024 11:55

Oh, Dave! Glad he is till with us. He did well on his solo albums. I often play 'em. He seems like a lovely bloke, probably more open minded than Ray.

Happy B-day to him!

It is unfortunately over for the Kinks.

To The Bone is one of the most enjoyable live albums out there.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 5, 2024 15:18

frenki09
Oh, Dave! Glad he is till with us. He did well on his solo albums. I often play 'em. He seems like a lovely bloke, probably more open minded than Ray.

Happy B-day to him!

It is unfortunately over for the Kinks.

To The Bone is one of the most enjoyable live albums out there.

If one is to be realistic, then yes - sadly it is !

This is one of several regrets I have, that I never saw the KINKS in their day. I also regret never having seen Zeppelin in theirs. Or for that matter, Queen with Freddy, and the original FACES .....

O well ? Made up for it elsewhere.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: February 6, 2024 15:39

"To The Bone" is great..a total commercial flop they had to release on their own label. Apparently the live sessions at KONK for "To The Bone" were filmed..this looks like it...totally in their element here..

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 6, 2024 20:09

To The Bone was such a good farewell that I wish they didn't go away. But it was the perfect career summation to go out with, in retrospect.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: February 6, 2024 23:40

To the Bone is so good I’ve often said it would be my “one album only” to the desert island! I’ve got a full size framed poster of the album cover in my rock n roll basement.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: February 7, 2024 09:48

roryfaninva
"To The Bone" is great..a total commercial flop they had to release on their own label. Apparently the live sessions at KONK for "To The Bone" were filmed..this looks like it...totally in their element here..

Commercial flop or not, I believe it is well-received today. Actually, I do not even know why this album failed in the first place, if it really did, at the time of release. This is from Allmusic.com:

The group's American popularity was at an all-time low in the mid-'90s and the band wasn't able to score a major-label record deal, let alone land a spot on MTV's prime-time ratings bonanza, Unplugged. So, the bandmembers financed their acoustic greatest-hits record To the Bone themselves, releasing it on the U.K. independent label Grapevine.

Now everyone wants to see The Kinks, but in the 90s no one cared for them. Still, they carried on. Life's not fair.

I never really cared for the first one-disc version. (Perhaps that is one reason why it was not well received at the time.) The release with two dics was better thought out. That is the version you want even if you don't get two songs that are on the one-disc edition. It was a silly move to leave those off the 1996 release. Get the single and then it's only Autumn Almanac that you will be missing (which is a wonderful song).

There was no other band like The Kinks. I cannot imagine any other band writing Apeman. Mick 'Brenda' Jagger singing Apeman? That would be something! "I'm an ape man I'm a King Kong man I'm a voo doo man" / "I'll be your Tarzan, you'll be my (Lady) Jane / I'll keep you warm and you'll keep me sane / and we'll sit in the trees and eat bananas all day"

But this line, Mick probably could do: "I look out my window, but I can't see the sky / 'Cos the air pollution is fogging up my eyes"

I hope there will be a super deluxe edition some day with the video included.

This is a true lost classic.

An interesting read on reunion rumours:

Ray & Dave & Mick on The Kinks doing it one last time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-07 10:10 by frenki09.

Date: February 7, 2024 14:39

The two-disc To The Bone is indeed a great record to go out with. In the liner notes, however, Ray writes about songs that would turn up on future Kinks releases. They never did of course.
I get the impression that the reunion rumours always start to float about when they have some record to sell, be it an expanded reissue, a solo record or a compilation. This has been the template since 2004 or thereabout.
Btw, I always regarded Apeman a bit as a nod to the Stones' Monkeyman, although the songs are very different indeed.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 7, 2024 20:09

SomeGuy
The two-disc To The Bone is indeed a great record to go out with. In the liner notes, however, Ray writes about songs that would turn up on future Kinks releases. They never did of course.
I get the impression that the reunion rumours always start to float about when they have some record to sell, be it an expanded reissue, a solo record or a compilation. This has been the template since 2004 or thereabout.
Btw, I always regarded Apeman a bit as a nod to the Stones' Monkeyman, although the songs are very different indeed.

I share that view. I would love nothing more than to see them do it one more time - so to say. But the chances of it actually happening ? Next to zero I'd wager ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 8, 2024 07:32

frenki09
Now everyone wants to see The Kinks, but in the 90s no one cared for them. Still, they carried on. Life's not fair.
They never stopped. I think that was their problem. They had good stuff in the 80s but it was few and far between and just when you're around that long people think (and you are) old news. Go away and people want you again. Look at someone like the Eagles. They didn't go away till it was too late, and then they rekindled their relationship too late.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: February 8, 2024 15:05

My first ever gig was the Kinks at Saint Georges Hall in Bradford in May 1979.Amazing gig.Remember Dave getting a little over excited and falling into the crowd with his guitar.Those were the days.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: February 8, 2024 15:06

January actually

Date: February 8, 2024 17:11

Old enough (unfortunately) to have first seen them at DAR Constitution Hall in DC on the Sleepwalker tour (John Gosling-Andy Pyle lineup) - the show famously ended in an onstage meltdown between Dave and Mick Avory. Back then their reputation was similar to the Faces, fun shows, very loose and presumably intoxicated. Saw them countless times over they years and they played tighter and sharper every time (props to the late Jim Rodford and Ian Gibbons). Right up there with The Beatles and Stones in my opinion.

Date: February 8, 2024 18:12

My first Kinks show was in 1984, when their highly underrated album 'Word Of Mouth' was released. That was when their slow fall from fame started, before that they had successful records in the US at least, and in 1980 they had a no. 1 hit in The Netherlands.
The last show I saw was in 1993. After that I saw Ray's solo shows a couple of times. Always great atmosphere, fanatical crowd, 5 or 6 encores at least.
That is one band that I really miss nowadays.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223
Current Page: 23 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home