Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223Next
Current Page: 19 of 23
Re: OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 31, 2016 14:38

Dunno if anyones seen these before but they seem to be 3 tracks that video got lost from RockPalast gig in 1982. Lovely guitar by Dave. smileys with beer

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 10, 2016 02:07

Hear Kinks' Rare Live 'Long Tall Shorty'

The Kinks sandwiched a swinging guitar-driven and harmonica-tinged blues number, "Long Tall Shorty" – perhaps showing the spiritual roots of hard-rocking originals like "You Really Got Me" – in the middle of the first side of their 1964 self-titled debut. And even though they amassed their own hits in their own style, they never lost sight of their R&B influences. When the group played a two-night stand at New York City's Carnegie Hall in 1972, they presented a much more raucous version of the rarely played song – ornamenting the tune, originally by Don Covay and Atlantic Records co-founder Herb Abramson, with horns and organ – which is now coming out for the first time.

A deluxe version of Everybody's in Show-Biz, the band's 10th album – a double LP containing studio recordings on one disc and live cuts on the other – will come out on June 3rd. The album is home to singles "Supersonic Rocket Ship" and "Celluloid Heroes." The expanded edition features many previously unreleased songs from the group's Carnegie Hall gigs and some alternative mixes of songs they put to tape in London.

The Kinks sandwiched a swinging guitar-driven and harmonica-tinged blues number, "Long Tall Shorty" – perhaps showing the spiritual roots of hard-rocking originals like "You Really Got Me" – in the middle of the first side of their 1964 self-titled debut. And even though they amassed their own hits in their own style, they never lost sight of their R&B influences. When the group played a two-night stand at New York City's Carnegie Hall in 1972, they presented a much more raucous version of the rarely played song – ornamenting the tune, originally by Don Covay and Atlantic Records co-founder Herb Abramson, with horns and organ – which is now coming out for the first time.

A deluxe version of Everybody's in Show-Biz, the band's 10th album – a double LP containing studio recordings on one disc and live cuts on the other – will come out on June 3rd. The album is home to singles "Supersonic Rocket Ship" and "Celluloid Heroes." The expanded edition features many previously unreleased songs from the group's Carnegie Hall gigs and some alternative mixes of songs they put to tape in London.

Long Tall Shorty (Live 1972 - audio)

The first CD contains both LPs that came out on the original release, while most of the second contains many never-before-released rendition of "Sunny Afternoon," "Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues," "Muswell Hillbilly" and others. It also contains the studio outtake "Holiday" – which foreshadows their Preservation Act 1 – and an early version of "Money Talks," dubbed "Sophisticated Lady," among other rarities.

The release, which includes liner notes by Rolling Stone's David Fricke, will also be available as a three-LP set.

[rollingstoneaus.com]

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: May 23, 2016 15:51

Thank you so much! What a great band!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 23, 2016 19:26

Thanks crawdaddy and Cristiano. I have pre-ordered the "Showbiz" collection and look forward to hearing some "new" old stuff.

God Bless The Kinks!

Date: January 14, 2017 03:54

Dave Davies Talks Smithsonian TV Series, New Album With His Son & Recent Demos With Brother Ray

1/13/2017 by Gary Graff

Rock stars and their toys are the subject of a new Smithsonian Channel series -- and the Kinks' Dave Davies is happy to be a part of it.

Davies joins Graham Nash, Motown legend Martha Reeves, Moby and others in Rock 'N' Roll Inventions, a six-episode weekly series kicking off at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, Jan. 16. The first episode, "This Damn Music," examines developments such as windup gramophones and 78rpm shellac records, vinyl singles, the jukebox, transistor radios, FM radio, cassette and videos, while subsequent chapters will take on everything from electric guitars and keyboards to studio technology and staging.

"It's an extraordinary work, really. There's a lot of information in that show and I was excited to be part of it," Davies, who appears in several episodes -- including one talking about how he created his signature "You Really Got Me" guitar tone by slashing a radio speaker with a razor blade -- tells Billboard. "I've always been interested in new ideas and new technology. Even now I like the digital stuff. I came up in the era of vinyl and even 78s, of course, but [new technology] helps you write the songs and there's a whole gamut of sound and effects you can experiment with. It's a very creative time."

Davies, meanwhile, is in the midst of his own burst of creativity. In addition to a Kinks The Mono Collection 10-LP box set that came out late last year, more archival projects are in the works according to the guitarist. Meanwhile, Davies and his son Russell have also recorded a new album called Open Road that's due out March 31 -- just before Davies comes across the pond for a North American tour in April. "It's a rock album," Davies says. "There's hard rock elements, but it's not hard rock. It's very melodic, very musical, kind of a little poppier than my last few albums. I think the songs are great; Russell's a great writer in his own right and he's got a lovely voice, and I think our voices work really well together. He does a lot of [electronic] kind of music, but we really put our creativity together and I think it came out really great."

Davies has been doing some other songwriting recently -- with his brother and Kinks partner Ray Davies. He confirms that the two "wrote quite a few demos at Ray's house" last year, "and it was sounding good." Fans had hoped for 50th anniversary reunion in 2015, which never transpired, but the younger Davies holds out hope that their collaboration will bear fruit before people get, er, so tired of waiting...

"He's been working on an album, too, so I think it's going to be a very interesting year for both of us -- and the Kinks," Davies says. "It's difficult sometimes. I've given up wanting to even try and analyze it. If it happens, it happens. It's just one of those unknowables. But just the fact that we get together and try it has got to be good, right?"

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 14, 2017 05:18

Cristiano Radtke
Dave Davies Talks Smithsonian TV Series, New Album With His Son & Recent Demos With Brother Ray

1/13/2017 by Gary Graff

Rock stars and their toys are the subject of a new Smithsonian Channel series -- and the Kinks' Dave Davies is happy to be a part of it.

Davies joins Graham Nash, Motown legend Martha Reeves, Moby and others in Rock 'N' Roll Inventions, a six-episode weekly series kicking off at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, Jan. 16. The first episode, "This Damn Music," examines developments such as windup gramophones and 78rpm shellac records, vinyl singles, the jukebox, transistor radios, FM radio, cassette and videos, while subsequent chapters will take on everything from electric guitars and keyboards to studio technology and staging.

"It's an extraordinary work, really. There's a lot of information in that show and I was excited to be part of it," Davies, who appears in several episodes -- including one talking about how he created his signature "You Really Got Me" guitar tone by slashing a radio speaker with a razor blade -- tells Billboard. "I've always been interested in new ideas and new technology. Even now I like the digital stuff. I came up in the era of vinyl and even 78s, of course, but [new technology] helps you write the songs and there's a whole gamut of sound and effects you can experiment with. It's a very creative time."

Davies, meanwhile, is in the midst of his own burst of creativity. In addition to a Kinks The Mono Collection 10-LP box set that came out late last year, more archival projects are in the works according to the guitarist. Meanwhile, Davies and his son Russell have also recorded a new album called Open Road that's due out March 31 -- just before Davies comes across the pond for a North American tour in April. "It's a rock album," Davies says. "There's hard rock elements, but it's not hard rock. It's very melodic, very musical, kind of a little poppier than my last few albums. I think the songs are great; Russell's a great writer in his own right and he's got a lovely voice, and I think our voices work really well together. He does a lot of [electronic] kind of music, but we really put our creativity together and I think it came out really great."

Davies has been doing some other songwriting recently -- with his brother and Kinks partner Ray Davies. He confirms that the two "wrote quite a few demos at Ray's house" last year, "and it was sounding good." Fans had hoped for 50th anniversary reunion in 2015, which never transpired, but the younger Davies holds out hope that their collaboration will bear fruit before people get, er, so tired of waiting...

"He's been working on an album, too, so I think it's going to be a very interesting year for both of us -- and the Kinks," Davies says. "It's difficult sometimes. I've given up wanting to even try and analyze it. If it happens, it happens. It's just one of those unknowables. But just the fact that we get together and try it has got to be good, right?"

[www.billboard.com]

EVERY TIME I jump onto this message board and see that THIS particular thread has lit up red indicating someone's posted a message .... my heart skips a beat. I think 'this is when I'm going to read the post that FINALLY informs us all that the 'official' news has broken - the KINKS ARE REUNITING' !!

And I retain the hope that ONE DAY, that'll be what happens. Come on Ray n' Dave ... please please please please please !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-14 05:20 by paulywaul.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 14, 2017 17:11

Same pauly. I do assume that I'd probably have heard by the time I see this thread or that someone would start a new thread outright saying they are reuniting, but same thing happens to me when I hope there's been a new development.

Date: January 23, 2017 15:42

The Kinks' Ray Davies Teams Up With The Jayhawks On 'Poetry'
Hear The First Single From His New Album, 'Americana'

[www.npr.org]

Date: January 23, 2017 15:59

Beautiful song! thumbs up

Date: January 23, 2017 16:43

DandelionPowderman

Beautiful song indeed, this album sounds promising.

BTW, sorry Pauly and RollingFreak for giving a bump on this thread but it's always good to hear something new from Ray, even if it's not THE news everybody is waiting for. grinning smiley

Date: January 23, 2017 17:29

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

Beautiful song indeed, this album sounds promising.

BTW, sorry Pauly and RollingFreak for giving a bump on this thread but it's always good to hear something new from Ray, even if it's not THE news everybody is waiting for. grinning smiley

Nah, don't be sorry, its on us! We should keep the thread alive!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 23, 2017 19:32

Cristiano Radtke
sorry for giving a bump on this thread but it's always good to hear something new from Ray, even if it's not THE news everybody is waiting for. grinning smiley
It's perfectly appropriate -- Ray himself has for years been using Kinks reunion talk to promote his latest solo work, and lately even brother Dave has gotten into the act. So, please do feel free to bump away. winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 23, 2017 19:36

Cristiano Radtke
The Kinks' Ray Davies Teams Up With The Jayhawks On 'Poetry'
Hear The First Single From His New Album, 'Americana'

[www.npr.org]

Thanks Cristiano - classic. thumbs up

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 23, 2017 20:14

lovely song. thank you for sharing this. This guy has always been amazing true tough and tender and brilliant. he's driven by the purest heart; working his ass of in small places w just a guitar for years every growing observing digging deep and sharing his wonderful music. The consistency, variety and power of his true writer's heart is what drives him, and I am just so grateful some half century after first hearing that voice, that he'd still be here; and not only that but far beyond the top rung of any of the scrapyard of contemporaries who took their eye off their ball, if they ever had much of a swing in the first place. I don't know when I first heard "God bless the Kinks" maybe Creem Magazine or something way back when...but this is personal. Like great art should be. I've only heard it once. I don't have any cogent critique; I'm just so glad it's' here and he's here. I'm actually very grateful for this. There's a world of hype bullshit and noise and then there's Raymond Douglas Davies.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: January 23, 2017 23:22

Dave Davies @ Nashville City Winery 4/30, 5/1, Hope n to catch one of these shows!

Date: January 24, 2017 00:38

BamaStone
Dave Davies @ Nashville City Winery 4/30, 5/1, Hope n to catch one of these shows!

saw dave last year. good stuff. he has some new releases coming soon too

Date: February 20, 2017 22:44

Deal alert / The Kinks Mono Collection / 10LP deluxe vinyl box set

Amazon Italy have The Kinks Mono Collection vinyl box set for a great price right now. It’s just £96 (€112) right now on the Italian site, the cheapest it’s been by some margin and more than £50 cheaper than HMV or Amazon in the UK.

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 20, 2017 22:52

Anyone in West London: the Kast-Off Kinks are at the Eel Pie Club this Thursday:

[www.eelpieclub.com]

(Also the Rollin' Stoned on the 23rd March)

Date: March 1, 2017 05:28

Exclusive: a new song from Ray Davies

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 16, 2017 11:03

Ray Davies: Kinks star returns home on the eve of his knighthood
"He talks about the possibility of the band's reunion and tells me he is writing a Kinks album in which he will invite his ex-band members to take part.
Does that include your brother Dave I ask? The siblings have a famously fractious relationship.
It depends on the deal offered, he replies, with a smile on his lips."
[www.itv.com]

A Well Respected Man: Sir Ray Davies to be knighted for service to arts
March 16 2017
"Sir Ray, who was the band's lead singer and songwriter, penned classics such as You Really Got Me, Waterloo Sunset and Sunny Afternoon.
Upon discovering he would be knighted, the 72-year-old said: "Initially I felt a mixture of surprise, humility, joy and a bit embarrassed but after thinking about it, I accept this for my family and fans as well as everyone who has inspired me to write."
The Kinks were formed in 1963 and became one of the era's most influential bands - their influence on acts like Oasis and Blur earned Sir Ray the nickname Godfather of Britpop."
[www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk]
The ceremony is upon us, thought i'd share this...
Congratulations Ray: Long live the mighty mighty Kinks.
Dave, he couldn't have done it without ya...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 16, 2017 11:11

How is 'writing a Kinks album to which he MIGHT invite the band's members' different to writing for a solo album? What if they don't want to join?

Date: April 1, 2017 21:49

There's a new interview in Rolling Stone with Ray. Nothing really to say, but all us Kinks fans will cling to anything. Basically more "never say never", although it leans more towards never, and in all honesty if they aren't already discussing it it'd have to get started PRONTO because there will be a point where they're too old and its coming up soon. Not that I had them on my Desert Trip list but I guess its fair to definitely cross them out now.

Date: April 2, 2017 15:40

Popped into my head to play the 45 min BBC film "Muswell Hillbillies" yesterday. What a great piece that is and a testament to what a fantastic band The Kinks were. Apart from the original band I have always had great affection for the "Baptist"- Dalton years as the records they made and tours they did were terrific.

For some Sunday levity seek out the hilarious Apeman video on Youtube for a few laughs.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: April 2, 2017 20:22

Love Ray and love Jayhawks too. Hollywood Town Hall is a must have album, beautiful

Date: April 2, 2017 20:53

filstan
Popped into my head to play the 45 min BBC film "Muswell Hillbillies" yesterday. What a great piece that is and a testament to what a fantastic band The Kinks were. Apart from the original band I have always had great affection for the "Baptist"- Dalton years as the records they made and tours they did were terrific.

For some Sunday levity seek out the hilarious Apeman video on Youtube for a few laughs.

Totally agree. And they could all still get together and play. Thats the reunion I'd like to see.

Date: April 2, 2017 22:42

RollingFreak
filstan

Totally agree. And they could all still get together and play. Thats the reunion I'd like to see.

RollingFreak, while a Kinks reunion tour still has a romantic drive behind it, the reality of such a tour/gigs happening is increasingly slim. The last time I saw Dave play he was still weathering the after effects of the stroke. Sure he was out there touring and appeared to be enjoying himself, but a one off gig in London is probably as close as it would ever get if that. Meanwhile, we have the records and the videos to hearken us back to when The Kinks were a vibrant and creative musical force. Like the Stones, Kinks music is timeless and still sounds fresh when you hear it.

Date: April 2, 2017 22:45

Oh I completely agree. I saw Dave recently too and he can't properly tour The Kinks. He could probably make it, but it wouldn't have been what it was pre-stroke. I agree, the time for a reunion is pretty much over, although I do still think those two could go out together and have a good time. But yes, what I meant there was more in a romantic perfect world sense that Dalton lineup could go out and tour. If Dave was properly covered for than maybe, but he can't carry that guitar work anymore unfortunately.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: April 3, 2017 11:00

Unfortunately, I think they never can be as thrilling as Rockpalast/Essen 1982 or Chicago 1987 (or most ohter gig until 1996). And I´m only talking about gigs that were professionally recorded.
The last time I saw them live, was in 1993 or 1994, and they were as great as ever (first time I saw thme live was in 1977). The 2-CD-Set To The Bone is really great.
Don´t know why, but I´m listening a lot to Kinks music in the last weeks and I still like the Kinks very much.
But I think that they are not popular enough that someone will pay them enough money to do a tour or at least do some festival gigs, like Blackmore´s Rainbow last year.
I will keep them in mind like they were when they were one of the best bands in 70/80/90-ies and that´s okay for me.
....and now I will listen to One For The Road one more time!

Date: April 12, 2017 16:16

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 13, 2017 23:06

[www.newstatesman.com]

Interesting interview. I think by now he is playing at being Ray Davies in interviews, the same way Keith plays Keith, but still good read.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223Next
Current Page: 19 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1715
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home