Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: What bands did you see in concert before Stones
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 27, 2013 02:28

The Boss...Rick Springfield!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: September 27, 2013 03:17

The Kinks

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 27, 2013 03:56

Deluxtone
Aquamarine
Just for the record, I WAS joking about Dylan not being as good as Sir Cliff.

In fact, he was even better than Tommy Steele. cool smiley

Well if Dylan was as good as Cliff he would have a knighthood AND would have kept with their mutual Solid Rock.

Not sure how Tommy Steele fits in here.

Has he ever been a Christian or been honoured?

No idea, but he's among those I saw in a pantomime.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: September 27, 2013 04:37

My first concert was U2 in 87. My arm was twisted for well over an hour. I wanted to see the Stones first but honestly didn't think they were ever coming back. So I went. I still have not been to see anyone else but the Stones and have skipped quite a few of the opening acts.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 27, 2013 05:28

Prior to seeing the Stones for the first time in 1981, I saw:

The Clash
Bob Dylan
The Who
The Jam
Jethro Tull
Johnny Winter
Robin Trower
Blue Oyster Cult
Devo

...and many Punk bands in the L.A. area.

Had a chance to see Bob Marley at the Roxy with a free ticket from my brother,
but had other plans that night...regrets, I've had a few.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: September 27, 2013 05:58

None.

The Rolling stones were the very first concert show I ever attended, at age 18, in Fort Collins, Colorado, Nov. 7, 1969.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 27, 2013 06:08

No One. The Stones was the first. Buffalo Aud. June 15th 1975. $9.00 a ticket. It was all the money I had.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 27, 2013 06:17

My parents took me to see Chicago in 1972. Blew my mind. It was when Chicago was all the rage, a great rock/horn band (before the cheese whizz). Not only did it blow my mind, it blew my ears. Full forced horn section blasting out 25 or 6 to 4. Whew! Amazing. We had fourth row at Pine Knob in Michigan. Full on hippy concert. Tons of pot smoke and I was so young, I had no idea what was what, but I new I like this rock n' roll. Next show my folks took me to see Beatlemania, the same venue. My first full fledged rock show with my buddies was The Who at the Pontiac Silverdome in 1979. A week after the Ohio tragedy. I wanted to see The Stones in 78, however, the show in Detroit wasn't announced and sold out in minutes. Small venue at the Masonic Temple. I didn't have my license, nor did I even know about the show. I would have went for sure. After The Who, I went to every show I could afford from my paper route. Another great one was The Kinks at Cobo Arena in Downtown Detroit. The One for the Road tour. Fantastic! Got a gem that night with Dave Davies playing his solo song Nothing More to Loose. Great show, full of energy. And Eddie Money opened the show...classic 80's cheese whizz.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2013 07:29

The Kinks, The Who, Bob Dylan, ZZ Top, Pretenders, Iggy Pop, U2, REM, BB King, Head Pins, Powder Blues Band, Doug and the Slugs, the Head Pins ... there must be more.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 27, 2013 14:25

stonesrule
Ladykiller, what were...are your thoughts on Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr.?
I'm a fan of both of them.

I saw Frank and Sammy together with Liza Minnelli on The Ultimate Event Tour in 1989. The stage was in the middle and I had the cheapest seat in the middle of the venue in the last row, with the help of binoculars, I had a perfect view. I enjoyed both late legendary performers, but there was one thing which I absolute disliked; Frank & Sammy read their lyrics from telepromters in front of them. Liza sung free.

Hope for you, stonesrule, that you had also a chance for seeing them live in concert!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 27, 2013 15:04

The Rolling Stones was my first real concert in 1969 at The Spectrum when I was a kid...

But there were a few other shows before that I remember at Steel Pier in Atlantic City: Paul Revere and The Raiders, the Brooklyn Bridge ("The Worst That Could Happen" ).

Also Bert Allen band at my older brother's Bar Mitzvah. Not sure that counts though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-27 15:05 by schillid.

Posted by: Dande ()
Date: September 29, 2013 10:27

A few very smal bands, it was good but nothing that really left lasting impact. Rolling Stones opened a whole new world of music for me. I bought my first guitar after I saw Keith. I´ve worked as a music teacher for 10 years.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 29, 2013 14:06

Chacho
None.

The Rolling stones were the very first concert show I ever attended, at age 18, in Fort Collins, Colorado, Nov. 7, 1969.

...You started off very well in adult life, Chaco. winking smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 29, 2013 15:54

To answer the question, I saw both Sammy Davis Jr. and Frank Sinatra numerous times in the Sixties, from the age of ten onward, FANTASTIC performers at the top of their game. Really, no one could top them in the history of music. All the great movie stars went to see them and left spellbound. Jimmy Cagney, Cary Grant etc.

In a different genre, I consider Jagger to be right up there with them.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: September 29, 2013 17:57

Pre 1975, let's see:
Black Oak Arkansas, Blue Oyster Cult, Hawkwind (Kansas opener), Golden Earring, Aerosmith, Gentle Giant, Alice Cooper (ZZ Top opening), Tull, Fleetwood Mc (BOC opening), Queen, Yes, Manfred Mann

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 1, 2013 02:44

stonesrule
To answer the question, I saw both Sammy Davis Jr. and Frank Sinatra numerous times in the Sixties, from the age of ten onward, FANTASTIC performers at the top of their game. Really, no one could top them in the history of music. All the great movie stars went to see them and left spellbound. Jimmy Cagney, Cary Grant etc.

In a different genre, I consider Jagger to be right up there with them.

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1919
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home