Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...163164165166167168169170171172173...LastNext
Current Page: 168 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 14, 2021 14:52

Irix
Toru A

What is the Uber Deluxe Box?

Uber, derived from the German term über (something beyond), is a prefix like super, hyper, mega, ultra and has nothing to do with the same named delivery/transportation company.

I think Rudraksha beads are the most intriguing thing in this box.smiling smiley

Mick, Keith and A Day In The Life
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 7, 2021 18:56

So, I'm looking at something else on utoob and come across this link to ADITL and decided to check it out since I never watched a video before for this song. The video is filled with celebrities and Mick and Keith keep popping up throughout the video. Made me wonder - did they (or other Stones) participate in the recording of the song in any way or just showed up for a listening party? Listening to the song through headphones (don't wanna wake up the household) I got to wondering how much George Martin got trippy with the boys in the studio as the song is a sonic trip itself here. If this has been brought up here before, regarding M and K, please excuse my bringing it up again.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Mick, Keith and A Day In The Life
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 7, 2021 19:29

I would be surprised if Mr. Martin got trippy with the Lads

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 8, 2021 10:46

Mick & Keith were among the celebrities invited to the "One World" broadcast. That was the first organised TV show that was broadcast live and worldwide. The BBC decided that the best representation for the UK would be The Beatles. Mick's jacket is great.

The song was specially written, but not that many days before. I can't be bothered to check the ultra details in Lewisohn's book, but I do know for certain (see shortly) that they did a guide version of the song a few days beforehand and had some backing/guide tracks ready for the broadcast.

The orchestra players demanded extra payment for wearing funny stuff.

The programme went out live - and nail bitingly the sound link between the studio and the TV producers was lost at a vital moment, but they recovered.

The invited celebrities were encouraged to join in the chorus, so Mick & Keith may be there in the mix, but then so could any of those present.

After the broadcast The Beatles stayed in the studio and re-did the recording and it was in the shops a few days later.

I know that there was a guide version from a few days prior because the whole UK show was produced by someone called Derek Burrell-Davis (who I met) and his daughter was a long time colleague of mine! She even went to the studio rehearsals. Anyway, Derek was given an acetate of the guide version so that he could 'plan' (my term) the broadcast.

When I told my colleague about this they literally searched high and low in his house for the acetate - which would have had considerable value - but it was never found.

What they did have, and I have a recording from it, is an acetate of the actual broadcast, and that is different to the released track.

George Martin was blissfully unaware of the drugs being consumed by The Beatles. It is said that one day John was having a bad trip, and George Martin saw he wasn't too well and suggested that he (John) went up onto the Abbey Road roof to get some air. Ouch. Luckily Mal or Nell realised what had happened and rushed off to make sure that John was safe!

bv should merge this with the main Beatles thread IMHO.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: May 8, 2021 10:50

As far as I know, The Beatles invited a crowd of friends to the orchestra recordings for Sgt. Pepper/ A Day in the Life, as well as a film crew, to get some stuff for a possible music video.

Posted by: esqcjh ()
Date: June 11, 2021 17:45

Didn't want to start a new thread so I picked this one with Mick & Keith in title...this author's new book is "The 213 Most Important Men in My Life" (Jean Pagozzi). The cover has a picture of Mick and Keith at a mixing board.

Subscription based so I copied the 'pertinent' part

Wall Street Journal dated 6.9.21

[www.wsj.com]

Interviewer (sic): You point out Mick Jagger’s discipline, which is not necessarily what the world associates with him.

Pagozzi (sic): I met Jagger, I think, in 1975, and we immediately clicked. I have traveled with him, and he has stayed with me. Every morning, he exercises for an hour and a half very, very seriously. And then in the afternoon, you hear him training his voice.

I spoke to him three days ago, and he cannot wait to go on tour [again]. You would think that at 77, with eight children, 95 grandchildren [laughs], he would say, “OK, I’m going to rest, write my memoirs” or whatever. And going on tour is incredibly complicated—the Rolling Stones have, you know, 50 trucks, 200 people, accountants, bodyguards, makeup people, cooks, sound people. So many things can go wrong, and he really is the brains of this entire thing.

But I never saw him get angry. I’ve been in situations where Keith was not there, it was raining, everything was going wrong, and I never saw him lose his temper. If my Uber is three minutes late, I go crazy. Obviously, I can’t learn how to sing like [Mick], but I can learn his discipline and how he keeps his cool. That was really the lesson I learned from him.

Date: June 11, 2021 18:02

Cool photo of Mick and Keith. Interesting comments regarding MJ.

Date: June 11, 2021 21:16

CaptainCorella
Mick & Keith were among the celebrities invited to the "One World" broadcast. That was the first organised TV show that was broadcast live and worldwide. The BBC decided that the best representation for the UK would be The Beatles. Mick's jacket is great.

The song was specially written, but not that many days before. I can't be bothered to check the ultra details in Lewisohn's book, but I do know for certain (see shortly) that they did a guide version of the song a few days beforehand and had some backing/guide tracks ready for the broadcast.

The orchestra players demanded extra payment for wearing funny stuff.

The programme went out live - and nail bitingly the sound link between the studio and the TV producers was lost at a vital moment, but they recovered.

The invited celebrities were encouraged to join in the chorus, so Mick & Keith may be there in the mix, but then so could any of those present.

After the broadcast The Beatles stayed in the studio and re-did the recording and it was in the shops a few days later.

I know that there was a guide version from a few days prior because the whole UK show was produced by someone called Derek Burrell-Davis (who I met) and his daughter was a long time colleague of mine! She even went to the studio rehearsals. Anyway, Derek was given an acetate of the guide version so that he could 'plan' (my term) the broadcast.

When I told my colleague about this they literally searched high and low in his house for the acetate - which would have had considerable value - but it was never found.

What they did have, and I have a recording from it, is an acetate of the actual broadcast, and that is different to the released track.

George Martin was blissfully unaware of the drugs being consumed by The Beatles. It is said that one day John was having a bad trip, and George Martin saw he wasn't too well and suggested that he (John) went up onto the Abbey Road roof to get some air. Ouch. Luckily Mal or Nell realised what had happened and rushed off to make sure that John was safe!

bv should merge this with the main Beatles thread IMHO.

I believe the programme was called Our World and the Beatles performed All You Need Is Love. Mick and Keith were there for sure.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 12, 2021 01:54

Papo
As far as I know, The Beatles invited a crowd of friends to the orchestra recordings for Sgt. Pepper/ A Day in the Life, as well as a film crew, to get some stuff for a possible music video.
Sorry to digress but I watched the Zappa on Netflixand Frank says that the Beatles
copied him with "St Pepper". I had never heard that before.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: June 12, 2021 05:06

The Beatles copied Zappa? Maybe Zappa did concept albums or so he claimed before the Beatles but, if anything, he copied the Beatles down to a take off on the Pepper album cover with his We're Only In It For The Money album.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 12, 2021 11:58

Thanks, i can't get those 5 minutes back, forced to listen the the Beatles.

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: June 12, 2021 17:03

SonofHarlemShuffler

I believe the programme was called Our World and the Beatles performed All You Need Is Love. Mick and Keith were there for sure.

If that show, and that song, then:

RS had begun "We love you" and was recording parts in the beginning of June with Paul and John present. After that they began working on a song "All you need is love" that they used in that particular show. And the rest is history

Date: June 13, 2021 03:18

Steen G
SonofHarlemShuffler

If that show, and that song, then:

RS had begun "We love you" and was recording parts in the beginning of June with Paul and John present. After that they began working on a song "All you need is love" that they used in that particular show. And the rest is history

Interesting.

Sources of following. Elliot 3rd edition, and Lewisohn's Complete Recording Sessions and his Complete Beatles Chronicle, and Barry Miles' Beatles Day By Day. All dates 1967.

June 3 First We Love You date.
June 14 First All You Need is Love
June 19 Second All You Need is Love
June 21 Third All You Need is Love
June 21 Second We Love You
June 23 Fourth Third All You Need is Love
June 24 Fifth Third All You Need is Love
June 25 Sixth (broadcast) Third All You Need is Love
June 26 Seventh (remix/overdubs) Third All You Need is Love
July 2 Third We Love You
July 19 Fourth We Love You

Whilst it's well known that the two bands had good relations and implicitly liaised on all sorts of stuff, IMHO it's a very long bow to imply that 'All You Need is Love' was derived in any way shape or form from anything The Stones did for 'We Love You'.

Lennon & McCartney would simply have been too busy. Only two Stones' sessions precede the recording of The Beatles' song. Yes, they may have been at the June 3 session, but totally unlikely to have been at the one on June 21.

Can you cite a (reliable) source that says that John & Paul were at any of the "We Love You Sessions" before June 23rd. Miles' book has nothing for those dates, yet it DOES mention other sessions by other artists that they did attend in that period.

(Worth noting as a total aside is that June 4th 1967 is the date of Jimi Hendrix's Savill Theatre show which he opened with Sgt. Pepper - the album only having been released in the UK 2 days prior.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-13 03:22 by CaptainCorella.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: June 13, 2021 05:19

rollmops
Sorry to digress but I watched the Zappa on Netflixand Frank says that the Beatles
copied him with "St Pepper". I had never heard that before.

It is well-known that Frank invented the wheel, came up with gunpowder and was the first human to start a fire ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 13, 2021 05:59

.... so he's the guy who slipped Eve the Granny Smith ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 13, 2021 06:36

esqcjh
Didn't want to start a new thread so I picked this one with Mick & Keith in title...this author's new book is "The 213 Most Important Men in My Life" (Jean Pagozzi). The cover has a picture of Mick and Keith at a mixing board.

Subscription based so I copied the 'pertinent' part

Wall Street Journal dated 6.9.21

[www.wsj.com]

My god, you have to be even keeled. So many tours, so many dates, so many things to go wrong. And yet to rise above it, make work what you can, and then go be the ultimate rock star.

Interviewer (sic): You point out Mick Jagger’s discipline, which is not necessarily what the world associates with him.

Pagozzi (sic): I met Jagger, I think, in 1975, and we immediately clicked. I have traveled with him, and he has stayed with me. Every morning, he exercises for an hour and a half very, very seriously. And then in the afternoon, you hear him training his voice.

I spoke to him three days ago, and he cannot wait to go on tour [again]. You would think that at 77, with eight children, 95 grandchildren [laughs], he would say, “OK, I’m going to rest, write my memoirs” or whatever. And going on tour is incredibly complicated—the Rolling Stones have, you know, 50 trucks, 200 people, accountants, bodyguards, makeup people, cooks, sound people. So many things can go wrong, and he really is the brains of this entire thing.

But I never saw him get angry. I’ve been in situations where Keith was not there, it was raining, everything was going wrong, and I never saw him lose his temper. If my Uber is three minutes late, I go crazy. Obviously, I can’t learn how to sing like [Mick], but I can learn his discipline and how he keeps his cool. That was really the lesson I learned from him.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 17, 2021 17:12

The Beatles: Get Back—An Exclusive Deep Dive Into Peter Jackson’s Revelatory New Movie

Nice read in Vanity Fair re: upcoming Get Back movie

[www.vanityfair.com]

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 17, 2021 22:09

Sighunt
The Beatles: Get Back—An Exclusive Deep Dive Into Peter Jackson’s Revelatory New Movie

[www.vanityfair.com]

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately it looks like it's being moved from theatrical release to Disney+:
Disney Moves Beatles Documentary From Theaters to Disney+

[www.bloomberg.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 17, 2021 22:40

bleedingman

"The Beatles: Get Back will be presented as three separate episodes. Each episode is approx. two hours in length, rolling out over three days, November 25, 26 and 27, 2021, exclusively on Disney+" - TheBeatles.com.

Date: June 17, 2021 22:55

The Beatles: Get Back - Hardcover-Book (240 pages, 12-Oct-2021):

ISBN: 978-0935112962 - [www.Amazon.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 17, 2021 23:12

Well I just hope that Get Back comes out on dvd and blu-ray.

The 8LP harrison set is now pre-selling for about 170 US$ at amazon USA, down from the initial 199.99.

jb

Date: June 17, 2021 23:15

"It is now highly likely that a Let It Be Album-reissue will get bumped to 2022" along with a DVD/BluRay-release of The Beatles: Get Back - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Date: June 18, 2021 00:36

bleedingman
Sighunt

[www.vanityfair.com]

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately it looks like it's being moved from theatrical release to Disney+:

[www.bloomberg.com]

Wow, thanks for sharing that update bleedingman. That really sucks. I was hoping to catch this on the big screen in a movie theatre.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 18, 2021 00:42

Sighunt
bleedingman
Sighunt

[www.vanityfair.com]

[www.bloomberg.com]

Wow, thanks for sharing that update bleedingman. That really sucks. I was hoping to catch this on the big screen in a movie theatre.

On the positive side, it will be longer so there's that. I'll just have to hold out for the 4k release. The book looks good, at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 00:43 by bleedingman.

Date: June 18, 2021 00:45

Sighunt

I was hoping to catch this on the big screen in a movie theatre.

Maybe a Cinema-version will be shown in 2022 just before the DVD/BluRay-release (just a guess).

Date: June 18, 2021 01:59

Irix
Sighunt

I was hoping to catch this on the big screen in a movie theatre.

Maybe a Cinema-version will be shown in 2022 just before the DVD/BluRay-release (just a guess).

We can live in hope.

There's no way I'm getting a Disney subscription just for this!

I'm now also starting to get a bit bothered by the "Peter-Jackson-Effect". By that I mean the way that the (well deserved) praise for 'The Lord Of The Rings' trilogy went to his head and he then turned 'The Hobbit' into a Trilogy (!! FFS!!) that was on screen for almost as long.

(I was at an IMAX showing of part of it, and there's a scene where one obscure army goes into battle against another obscure army, and the leader of one of the armies calls his troops to attack. Unfortunately that character was voiced by the great Billy Connolley, and the entire audience erupted into laughter at hearing his voice.)

Will a SIX hour presentation of the films taken during those few weeks at the start of 1969 convert it from being a celebration of the sessions, and the Rooftop Concert, to a dull and boring over extended thing?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 02:01 by CaptainCorella.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 18, 2021 03:58

CaptainCorella

There's no way I'm getting a Disney subscription just for this!

So you'd pay $20 or more to see a 2 hour version in the theaters, but not pay $8 bucks to see what could be a 6 hour version in your own home?

I was looking forward to seeing it in the theater as well, but this new deal is hardly a rip off.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 18, 2021 14:19

One of the very first things I did when I got my driver's license in 1977 was drive some great distance to a movie theater that was showing Let It Be and Yellow Submarine as a midnight double feature picture show. I don't care how good your home theater is. It's nothing like seeing the Rooftop Concert in a movie theater, which after all, is about as close to a live Beatles concert experience as any of us are ever going to get. It sucks that they've cancelled the theatrical release of Get Back. I was really looking forward to recreating that memory from 44 years ago, and I don't understand why they've decided to take that Beatles concert experience away from us. Other than the re-writing of history to show how they actually parted the best of friends, I kinda thought that was the whole idea.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 14:22 by tatters.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 18, 2021 14:31

tatters
One of the very first things I did when I got my driver's license in 1977 was drive some great distance to a movie theater that was showing Let It Be and Yellow Submarine as a midnight double feature picture show. I don't care how good your home theater is. It's nothing like seeing the Rooftop Concert in a movie theater, which after all, is about as close to a live Beatles concert experience as any of us are ever going to get. It sucks that they've cancelled the theatrical release of Get Back. I was really looking forward to recreating that memory from 44 years ago, and I don't understand why they've decided to take that Beatles concert experience away from us. Other than the re-writing of history to show how they actually parted the best of friends, I kinda thought that was the whole idea.

I believe you when you mention your experience of seeing LIB and YS that way. Have you tried to see "things" in an iMax theatre? I watched LSTNT and Shine A Light (Stones obviously) and U2 (three dimentional with green/red glasses) and some nature films and the experience was fantastic. Seeing a 12 meters tall Mick Jagger right in front or Bono casually walking 3D right in front of you ... not to mention being surrounded by wild life ... great fun! cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: June 18, 2021 14:34

tatters

thumbs up Totally agree with your sentiments here tatters...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...163164165166167168169170171172173...LastNext
Current Page: 168 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2193
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home