Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...213214215216217218219220221222223Next
Current Page: 222 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 7, 2023 14:55

Spud
The Beatles early recordings sound absolutely wonderful [as do the early Stones records]...

...so why muck about with them ?

Oh . wait, I know..

...so they can sell them again for the umpteenth time to the same customers.

That's very true; although I still only own the 1987 CD's. I just think that their pre-Revolver era deserves the special treatment. Failing that, could we, one day, finally get their mono mixes made available as individual releases? It seems ludicrous that one has to fork out a fortune for the box set we presently have.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2023 15:16

Big Al
Spud
The Beatles early recordings sound absolutely wonderful [as do the early Stones records]...

Oh . wait, I know..

That's very true; although I still only own the 1987 CD's. I just think that their pre-Revolver era deserves the special treatment. Failing that, could we, one day, finally get their mono mixes made available as individual releases? It seems ludicrous that one has to fork out a fortune for the box set we presently have.

I presume you mean the individual albums? They were - mono mixes, shortly after the box was released in 2014 or 2016.

They are, like the box set, OOP, and you can also buy overpriced versions individually or by the box in the aftermarket.

You're right that there's no reason not to release this stuff yet again with the demand there clearly still is.

Date: November 7, 2023 15:48

treaclefingers
Big Al
Spud

Oh . wait, I know..

I presume you mean the individual albums? They were - mono mixes, shortly after the box was released in 2014 or 2016.

They are, like the box set, OOP, and you can also buy overpriced versions individually or by the box in the aftermarket.

You're right that there's no reason not to release this stuff yet again with the demand there clearly still is.

I though it was only the stereo mixes that were, and are, available individually? I'd certainly like to hear the '09, or a further remastered version of Please Please Me, With The Beatles, etc. I do feel a 'wider celebration' of their earliest works is warranting of a special release.

Date: November 7, 2023 16:01

Big Al
treaclefingers
Big Al
Spud

Oh . wait, I know..

I though it was only the stereo mixes that were, and are, available individually? I'd certainly like to hear the '09, or a further remastered version of Please Please Me, With The Beatles, etc. I do feel a 'wider celebration' of their earliest works is warranting of a special release.

They initially released the stereo albums individually and then after the MONO box, they did the mono's individually, including the Mono Masters. I bought the MONO box at the time, and considered buying some of the individual albums - never did and they were quickly gone.

Date: November 7, 2023 16:19

Interesting to hear that, despite various comments that have been made here suggesting otherwise, Paul and Mick spoke to each other regarding NOT releasing records the same week as each other........as they did back in the '60s.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: November 7, 2023 20:06

It's not fair us backwater colonials miss out again! The Beatles new CD isn't available in New Zealand and btw Peter Jackson is from New Zealand, just say'n...

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 11, 2023 01:28

This week's UK charts:

Sales Report: W/E 16th November 2023
Source: Music Week

Singles

01 78,168 The Beatles - Now and Then [18,738 CDs, 19,358 7" vinyl, 8,523 downloads, 31,549 streaming]
02 36,126 cassö, RAYE & D-Block Europe - Prada
03 32,838 Taylor Swift - Is It Over Now? (Taylor's Version)
04 27,762 Tate McRae - greedy
05 27,093 Tyla - Water
06 23,634 Jung Kook - Standing Next to You
07 23,230 Taylor Swift - Cruel Summer
08 23,127 Noah Kahan - Stick Season
09 22,575 Chase & Status & Bou feat. IRah, Flowdan, Trigga & Takura - Baddadan
10 20,680 Taylor Swift - Now That We Don't Talk (Taylor's Version)

Albums

01 23,561 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version) [3,878 CDs, 2,809 vinyl, 1 cassette, 579 downloads, 16,295 streaming] [total: 208,526]
02 17,425 Oasis - The Masterplan [1,624 CDs, 14,521 vinyl, 782 cassettes, 87 downloads, 411 streaming] [total: 973,536]
03 12,306 Jung Kook - GOLDEN
04 10,672 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds
05 8,756 Cliff Richard - Cliff with Strings - My Kinda Life
06 7,786 Olivia Rodrigo - GUTS
07 7,244 Johnny Marr - Spirit Power: The Best of Johnny Marr
08 6,334 The Weeknd - The Highlights
09 5,753 Elton John - Diamonds
10 5,590 Fleetwood Mac - 50 Years: Don't Stop

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 11, 2023 07:21

georgelicks
This week's UK charts:

Singles

01 78,168 The Beatles - Now and Then [18,738 CDs, 19,358 7" vinyl, 8,523 downloads, 31,549 streaming]
05 27,093 Tyla - Water

Albums

01 23,561 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version) [3,878 CDs, 2,809 vinyl, 1 cassette, 579 downloads, 16,295 streaming] [total: 208,526]
02 17,425 Oasis - The Masterplan [1,624 CDs, 14,521 vinyl, 782 cassettes, 87 downloads, 411 streaming] [total: 973,536]

Not bad. Both bands have enjoyed a #1 hit here in 2023. Personally, I really enjoyed Now & Then.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 11, 2023 08:14

colonial
It's not fair us backwater colonials miss out again! The Beatles new CD isn't available in New Zealand and btw Peter Jackson is from New Zealand, just say'n...

You have every right to be pissed off about that!!

Don't just complain here, but get in touch with Peter Jackson and moan directly at him.

The service formerly known as Twitter may be of use (I don't know), Or Wingnut Productions HAS to be significant - try this email address help@wingnutwings.com

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 14, 2023 11:58

georgelicks
This week's UK charts:

Singles

05 27,093 Tyla - Water

Albums

Whilst it was inevitable that Hackney Diamonds would drop down the chart-placings, I am please to observe that it is, at least, merely trickling down, gradually. It's evidently still selling copies, and streaming tracks, which is great. It's a 'steady-seller' in the U.K. thumbs up

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 15, 2023 12:58

And in USA, Beatles #1 ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: November 15, 2023 14:28

powerage78
And in USA, Beatles #1 ?

#7 on Billboard Hot 100

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 15, 2023 15:47

Hmm.. What goes for the old rivalry, it looks like that the Beatles are doing a bit better 'lately' on US and UK single charts. The last time The Stones had a top ten hit on Billboard 100 was in 1989, and the last time they topped UK single charts was in 1969...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 15, 2023 17:37

Doxa
Hmm.. What goes for the old rivalry, it looks like that the Beatles are doing a bit better 'lately' on US and UK single charts. The last time The Stones had a top ten hit on Billboard 100 was in 1989, and the last time they topped UK single charts was in 1969...grinning smiley

- Doxa

To be a fair comparison, the Stones would have had to release their "last song ever", and feature Brian and Charlie playing on it complete with AI generated imagery of them playing it all togetherwinking smiley

Date: November 15, 2023 17:45

MisterDDDD
Doxa

- Doxa

To be a fair comparison, the Stones would have had to release their "last song ever", and feature Brian and Charlie playing on it complete with AI generated imagery of them playing it all togetherwinking smiley

And they would have had to have been largely quiet, "as a band" for the last 50 years or so. There's something to be said for "pent up demand".

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: November 16, 2023 06:49

So I’ve listened to Now and Then a couple of times. I love the Beatles, but this song is pretty uninteresting to me. IMO, it falls short of every song on HD.

Date: November 16, 2023 14:09

JadedFaded
So I’ve listened to Now and Then a couple of times. I love the Beatles, but this song is pretty uninteresting to me. IMO, it falls short of every song on HD.

The song itself isn't great, but it's all they had to work with. I don't think time will be terribly kind to it...it's sort of a Frankenbeatles monster cobbled together with bits of this and pieces of that, old and new.

A great gift to Beatles fans and a nice goodbye from the remaining band but hardly something that will be of remote interest beyond the core fan base (which I'm sure some will say about HD, but I'll disagree on that!).

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 16, 2023 18:32

treaclefingers
JadedFaded

The song itself isn't great, but it's all they had to work with. I don't think time will be terribly kind to it...it's sort of a Frankenbeatles monster cobbled together with bits of this and pieces of that, old and new.

A great gift to Beatles fans and a nice goodbye from the remaining band but hardly something that will be of remote interest beyond the core fan base (which I'm sure some will say about HD, but I'll disagree on that!).

George had it right.. at least for the nineties version they worked on, doubt his mind would've changed much on the final version.

"Harrison had more choice words for the track: "f cking rubbish."

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: amg077 ()
Date: November 16, 2023 22:13

I went to see Macca yesterday.

He came to Mexico City

Good show but Paul´s voice is not what it used to be.

Mick Jaggers voice is better nowadays than Paul´s

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 23, 2023 08:27

I just watched this and I thought it was pretty interesting, with some new footage, at least for me. It's still up on BBC iPlayer for 11 days.

The Beatles & The BBC

The relationship between The Beatles and the BBC has always been a special and fascinating one.

This programme looks back at some key moments that saw the BBC document the band’s journey as they went from Merseybeat heroes with mop-tops and MBEs, to seeing out the sixties as long-haired heroes of the counter-culture. In the early years, an interview on the BBC was something the band would pursue and embrace, but as their fame spread, their TV appearances became increasingly rare.

The changing dynamic is captured here through a combination of classic music performances and the very best moments from the BBC’s archives. Moments include: a rare performance of Ticket to Ride on a 1965 William Hartnell episode of Doctor Who; an interview with Paul McCartney on A Degree of Frost (1964) in which he discusses early retirement plans and writing with John Lennon; Blue Peter and Panorama reports from 1965 on The Beatles receiving MBEs; and a rarely seen, six-minute version of All You Need is Love from the famous Our World live broadcast across Europe in June 1967.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: November 23, 2023 14:26

Cristiano Radtke
I just watched this and I thought it was pretty interesting, with some new footage, at least for me. It's still up on BBC iPlayer for 11 days.

The Beatles & The BBC

The relationship between The Beatles and the BBC has always been a special and fascinating one.

This programme looks back at some key moments that saw the BBC document the band’s journey as they went from Merseybeat heroes with mop-tops and MBEs, to seeing out the sixties as long-haired heroes of the counter-culture. In the early years, an interview on the BBC was something the band would pursue and embrace, but as their fame spread, their TV appearances became increasingly rare.

The changing dynamic is captured here through a combination of classic music performances and the very best moments from the BBC’s archives. Moments include: a rare performance of Ticket to Ride on a 1965 William Hartnell episode of Doctor Who; an interview with Paul McCartney on A Degree of Frost (1964) in which he discusses early retirement plans and writing with John Lennon; Blue Peter and Panorama reports from 1965 on The Beatles receiving MBEs; and a rarely seen, six-minute version of All You Need is Love from the famous Our World live broadcast across Europe in June 1967.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

It should be clarified that this 'performance' was mimed especially for the BBC's Top Of The Pops programme. A brief clip featured in an episode of Doctor Who, but the original film no-longer exists.

Unreleased John Lennon interview (for his 34th birdthay)
Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: November 24, 2023 13:48

My friend Michel Brillié (former host on french radio Europe 1) has just posted on YouTube an interview he found in his archives with John Lennon called on his 34th birthday! Back then, it was as simple as a phone call!

Check this out !

[youtu.be]

Re: Unreleased John Lennon interview (for his 34th birdthay)
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 24, 2023 14:19

Who does he badmouth? grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 29, 2023 01:03

Paul started his Brazilian tour today in Brasília with a very special concert announced earlier today. The tickets costed $40-80 and approximately 400 were sold.

[instagram.com]

Setlist:

A Hard Day’s Night (Beatles)
Junior’s Farm (Wings)
Letting Go (Wings)
Got to Get You Into My Life (Beatles)
Come On to Me
Let Me Roll It (Wings)
Getting Better (Beatles)
My Valentine
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five (Wings)
Maybe I’m Amazed
I’ve Just Seen a Face (Beatles)
From Me to You (Beatles)
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Beatles)
Get Back (Beatles)
Lady Madonna (Beatles)
Let It Be (Beatles)
Hey Jude (Beatles)
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (Beatles)
Helter Skelter (Beatles)
Golden Slumbers (Beatles)Carry That Weight (Beatles)
The End (Beatles)

[igormiranda.com.br]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-29 01:26 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 29, 2023 02:14

That's very cool of Paul. Must of been a lot of excitement for the lucky fans that got in.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 29, 2023 17:01

My only real problem with Now And Then is that I can't hear Ringo's voice at all. There's an old McCartney track called Beautiful Night, and when Ringo starts singing near the end it's a great moment. I think they made a mistake by turning his vocals down so far.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 1, 2023 16:15

2023 Red & Blue albums review by German HiFi-Magazine [www.Stereo.de] :

"Producer Giles Martin proudly explained that he never thought he could make the early Beatles recordings sound so 'thundering' by de- and remixing them. However, this is precisely the serious weakness of some of the three dozen of the 75 recordings that have now been released as remixes. On 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', for example, colleague Sam Okell simply mixed the bass drum too loudly, on 'I Saw Her Standing There' the snare drum. Producing the debut single 'Love Me Do' - instruments and vocals digitally isolated from the mono original - in the archaic ping-pong stereo of the early 1960s is a nostalgic joke. As with the LP remixes of recent years, the producer and sound engineer made numerous changes. As recently as 2009, some of the mistakes from the early mixes were not eliminated at all before remastering!

The remix of 'Please Please Me' is exemplary of their quirk of mixing McCartney very prominently on bass. The early class of George Harrison really comes into its own on the solo in the stereo-mixed 'I Saw Her Standing There'. The vocal tracks in particular benefit significantly from the new mixes. Even in the stereo remix, 'She Loves You' is still pretty much the worst of all the early Beatles recordings. The cover version of 'You Really Got A Hold of Me' apparently had such an excellent multitrack original available that the remix with the fabulous live presence of the vocalist trio is one of the best of the early Beatles.

The new sound quality of 'A Hard Day's Night' reminds us that a first-class remix of this LP is overdue, just like that of 'Rubber Soul'. 'I Feel Fine' and 'Eight Days A Week' were quite spoilt with voices mixed absurdly into the background (!) and instruments with little presence. Thanks to the opposite - the singer was mixed clearly and precisely in the foreground - 'Yesterday' sounds better than ever.

'Help!' is once again typical of the quirk of mixing McCartney's bass in a dominant but slightly blurred and booming way. This is even more unpleasant on 'We Can Work It Out'. The vocal tracks of the recordings of 'Rubber Soul', however, are excellently mixed - a nice preview of the remix of the LP. 'Paperback Writer' and the seven songs from 'Revolver' are identical to those on the October 2022 box set. 'Hey Bulldog' and 'Old Brown Shoe' are two of the 21 'encores' on the new three-LP editions (including the 'new' single 'Now And Then'). Strawberry Fields Forever' also sounds unexpectedly better in the latest mix than the remix from 2015!

'I Am The Walrus' was modified more drastically than anything else: Originally, the music played from 2:00 as a mono mix for a minute and a half in the right channel only! In the 2009 edition, the mono track appeared in the centre. The brand new remix was finally produced completely stereophonic. The new version is a revelation in terms of sound, with individual instruments even more audible in the coda from 3:25 onwards. 'Magical Mystery Tour' was also produced in real modern stereo for the first time.

The recordings of the 'Red Album' were excellently overdubbed 1:1 at a pleasingly high level for the vinyl set. Due to the running time of up to almost 27 minutes per LP side, a much lower level was chosen for the 'Blue Album'. Overall conclusion: There's a lot of light in these three-vinyl reissues, but also a little shade."

Date: December 12, 2023 10:35

The German edition 12-2023 of the Rolling Stone Magazine comes with two cover versions - Red & Blue:

[www.Musik-Magazine.de] , [www.Musik-Magazine.de]

Date: January 4, 2024 01:00

John Lennon’s 1973 album 'Mind Games' will be reissued in 2024 as 4CD+2BluRay (featuring 72 audio tracks). A book about 'Mind Games' will be available too - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 4, 2024 10:54

Not sure what there may or may not be in the can...but I wouldn't mind hearing any stuff that didn't make it onto John's Rock N Roll album...

..which remains for me one the most affectionate and enthusiastic tributes to their roots from any artist I can think of.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...213214215216217218219220221222223Next
Current Page: 222 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home