Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 224
OT: Amazing unpublished pix of The Beatles in 1968 surface
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 9, 2015 15:33

Lovely story in the Daily Mail about some unpublished Beatles phgotos that have recently surfaced.

The last photo of Lennon looking into the mirror is really unsettling. Not really sure why but there's something spooky about it.

PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Never-before-seen images of The Beatles in 1968 may show George Harrison carrying Paul McCartney's resignation letter in his shirt pocket
The photographs were taken in 1968 by then 19-year-old Michael Herring
One shows George Harrison with a piece of paper in his shirt pocket
Herring claims it was Paul McCartney's unopened resignation letter
He took the photographs after turning up uninvited on Lennon's doorstep
Captured the group recording and says he witnessed letter opening

BySanchez Manning for The Mail on Sunday

Published: 22:02, 7 March 2015 | Updated: 13:06, 8 March 2015

They are extraordinary pictures of the Beatles in their heyday, images never published before.

And, it is claimed, these photographs reveal for the first time a bombshell moment in the band’s history that has left Beatles experts baffled.

It is 1968 and John Lennon coolly stares into the camera. Alongside him, George Harrison has in his shirt pocket a resignation letter from Paul McCartney – apparently written a full two years before he would eventually quit.

That is the claim of Michael Herring, who took the pictures as a 19-year-old art student during a magical day other Beatles fans could only dream about.

Mr Herring says he took these intimate pictures of the Beatles after turning up uninvited on John’s doorstep, later sharing a car ride with him to George Harrison’s house to see the Beatles recording – and witnessing the opening of a letter said to announce McCartney’s resignation.

US-born Mr Herring’s adventure began when he ‘doorstepped’ Lennon at his Surrey mansion, Kenwood, on May 28, 1968, after getting the star’s address through a friend.

Mr Herring, who at the time was studying art in Kensington, West London, said that to his surprise he was invited in.

‘John opened the door and said exactly these words: “Well then, what’s it about?”,’ he recalled.

Mr Herring said he won Lennon over by joking: ‘John, I wish you could be me so that you know what it feels like to meet you.’ He was promptly invited in for breakfast.

Mr Herring sat down to eat with the singer and Yoko Ono – who ‘never spoke a word and was just mumbling into a cassette recorder’ – and then his luck got even better.

Impressed with Mr Herring’s knowledge of Yoko’s artwork, Lennon invited him to the band’s rehearsals for the White Album, which would be released later that year.

They jumped into Lennon’s Mini and drove to Harrison’s Surrey bungalow, Kinfauns – adorned with psychedelic murals – to find George sitting on his lawn, playing the guitar. It was here that Mr Herring captured his series of evocative images.

‘George looked up and said, “Who’s this, then?”’ Mr Herring, 67, recalled. ‘John said, “This is Michael. He’s an artist. I found him in me garden.” They were chatting and the topic they were talking about was Paul. It appeared there was some question over whether Paul was going to show up for the rehearsal.’

In the house, Mr Herring was introduced to Ringo Starr and Harrison’s girlfriend Pattie Boyd.

And then came the arrival of a hand-delivered letter.

Mr Herring said: ‘There was a knock on the door. George opened it and there was a personal delivery guy. He handed him this pale blue letter. George read it and passed it to John.

‘I understood it was a letter from Paul’s attorney saying Paul wanted to quit the band. It was as if they were expecting he wasn’t coming that day. They didn’t seem that surprised. I can only paraphrase, but I recall George saying, “It’s from Eastmans and he’s not coming. Paul is quitting.” ’

Eastmans may have been a reference to the New York law firm Eastman & Eastman, the family business of Lee Eastman, father of the future Linda McCartney, who Paul had met in 1967. Linda’s brother John would later play a central role in steering Paul’s exit from the band.

The Beatles spent the rest of the day rehearsing in a small room and only broke to enjoy vegetarian curries. Mr Herring said he saw no drugs or alcohol.

Later, Lennon gave Mr Herring a lift back to the station, Mr Herring capturing one final iconic photograph as Lennon glanced into the car’s rear-view mirror.

Mr Herring kept his day with the Beatles under wraps for 47 years, only going public when he contacted a Manchester auction house, Omega Auctions, to enquire about selling his photographs and other memorabilia. The rare items are expected to fetch in excess of £10,000 when they go on sale on March 24.

Last night, Mark Lewisohn, a leading authority on the Beatles, said Mr Herring’s photographs were ‘fantastic because they capture a moment in history’.

But he cast doubt on the revelations about Paul’s resignation letter, saying: ‘There’s no way that can be accurate because the Eastmans had no part in Paul’s life until his relationship with Linda began in October 1968, and there was no way Paul was quitting at this point. They had a number of sessions at George’s house and Paul was certainly at most of them – maybe not this one – because we have the recordings.’

But he added: ‘This does not undermine the general story, which I do believe.

Mr Herring, a retired illustrator now living in Australia, insists his memories of events at Harrison’s house are correct.

A spokesman for Paul McCartney did not comment last night.

Hunter Davies asks why the photographs have never seen the light of the day before

In 1968, John Lennon had all the fame and fortune most people could ever wish for.

He had been locked in hotel bedrooms for his own safety, guarded going in and out of concert halls, smuggled out of places in case he was attacked – and yet he constantly let total strangers into his own house.

Was he potty, silly, dicing with danger? Or just innocent and naive?

So the story behind these new, fascinating pictures, taken by a young man who got invited into John’s life, sounds true; the sort of daft thing John often did.

Kenwood, his house on a private estate near Weybridge, Surrey, was hard to get to, the approach intimidating, but several fans had managed to get the address, thanks to a helpful American pop magazine.

The house was large, with an extensive garden and pool and lots of rooms. It cost John £20,000 in 1964 but he had spent another £40,000 doing it up. (Last year, it was on the market for £14 million.)

The reception rooms were lavishly decorated and furnished but they might as well have been corridors – John only ever seemed to walk through them on the way to a little room with a couch and TV where he lolled most days, doing nothing.

In 1966, when I first went there, his marriage to Cynthia was a sham, so I could see that any interruption might amuse him. But by May 28, 1968, it is harder to believe he would be so welcoming. He had recently shacked up with Yoko – their union consummated just nine days earlier, when Cynthia was away on holiday.

I am surprised John bothered to invite young Mr Herring in, when he was in the first, careless raptures with the love of his life.

George was not like that. His house, Kinfauns, a few miles away, was also on a private estate, and he guarded his privacy with great care. I was with him once when the phone rang. He picked it up and put on a silly Cockney voice. ‘Esher wine store,’ he said. He listened for a moment, said sorry and hung up.

George would not have invited strangers into his house. By 1968, he hated being a Beatle and hated even more being asked about being a Beatle. Fans would get short shrift.

John could be equally rude. But there was a part of him which found it amusing to be kind to strangers – usually if they had come a long way, such as young Americans like Michael Herring.

Taking him to watch them recording for their next album is harder to understand. The Beatles did not like outsiders present when they worked.

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-09 16:09 by Silver Dagger.

Re: OT: Amazing unpublished pix of The Beatles in 1968 surface
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 9, 2015 16:18

Michael here's your pension plan! Books, prints, exhibitions, MONEY! >grinning smiley<
Seriously I find the pix rather mundane and amateurish... but I'm not a Beatles fan.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 9, 2015 16:18

what, John Lennon didn't have a driver, and drove a mini..

that's so unsuperstarish..

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 9, 2015 16:26

duke richardson

Wait a minute! It's Ringo's car...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 9, 2015 16:32

Strange story, nice pics.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 9, 2015 16:35

I'm not sure I'd call the pictures 'amazing' interesting, made more interesting by the accompanying story, if true.

Odd though about the Paul 'retirement' letter coming from the Eastman's, if the timing is as off as was noted earlier.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 9, 2015 16:55

those Beatles were kind of odd..

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 9, 2015 18:21

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 9, 2015 18:39

duke richardson

Yes I imagined they were much more dysfunctional by then,

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 9, 2015 22:52

"Amazing unpublished pix of The Beatles in 1968 surface"

Always nice to see new picture not really understand the word "Amazing"

Date: March 9, 2015 22:56

Rollin' Stoner

Now THOSE pictures are amazing! What's up with their eyes, are they stoned?

It reminds me of that song by Kim Carnes, "Marty Feldman Eyes".

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 9, 2015 23:07

treaclefingers
Rollin' Stoner

Now THOSE pictures are amazing! What's up with their eyes, are they stoned?

It reminds me of that song by Kim Carnes, "Marty Feldman Eyes".
Marty Feldman Eyes is a fine tune

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 9, 2015 23:18

<<that song by Kim Carnes, "Marty Feldman Eyes".>>

"She knows just what it takes to make a bowl flush

All the boys think she's surprised--

She's got buggy thyroid eyes"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 11, 2015 18:11

Here's a nice article written by Anthony DeCurtis about this never-ending subject:

[medium.com]

Date: March 11, 2015 19:06

Cristiano Radtke
Here's a nice article written by Anthony DeCurtis about this never-ending subject:

[medium.com]

Thanks Cristiano, that was an excellent read!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 11, 2015 19:25

Cristiano Radtke

[medium.com]

Remembers me on this comic .... smiling smiley

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 11, 2015 20:00

Irix
Cristiano Radtke

[medium.com]

Remembers me on this comic .... smiling smiley

[www.iorr.org]

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 02:26

Yes, a very good read indeed! Loved it!

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 16:04

I only really got into The Beatles properly last summer. I started teaching guitar again and found that by using Beatles songs you can teach the fundamentals of rock playing. Plus, as some of the early songs are pretty easy they're great for beginners. By looking at their songs closely it really made me appreciate them in a way I hadn't before.

It's funny, I always considered myself far more a Stones guy and was quite derogatory towards the Beatles until I started listening to them properly. Plus, thanks to the movie "Boyhood" I made my own Black Album playlist and started to get into their solo stuff, especially Paul's. I guess I wrongly assumed that it was all a bit twee and poppy (which to be fair a lot of their early stuff is) but they really evolved. Songs like Yer Blues, Helter Skelter and Revolution really rock.

As for the Beatles vs the Stones, my love of the Stones predominantly stems from their late '60s and '70s stuff. In some ways I prefer the Beatles' 60s stuff to the Stones'. Exile will forever be the best rock album of all time in my opinion though. Although as the Beatles split up before then who knows what they could have done had they continued. At the end of the day they're two phenomenal bands, arguably the two best rock bands of all time so why not just enjoy them both?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 12, 2015 16:21

Cristiano Radtke

[medium.com]

That was an interesting article, but it takes him a long time to get to the primary difference between the bands:

"The Stones also provided my introduction to the blues and R&B, a history of black American music that existed in the shadows for white people. When hip-hop and, particularly, gangsta rap began to roil the music scene, I could sense that young people had the same feelings about it that I had had about the Stones—an unshakable belief that the music was significant and compelling, that it meant everything."

I've never "compared" the groups because the blues goes to the very essence of the Stones, and the Beatles, as great as they were, didn't have a bluesy bone in their bodies. It's like comparing a great hamburger to a great ice cream sundae - makes no sense.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 12, 2015 16:35

Seb91
. At the end of the day they're two phenomenal bands, arguably the two best rock bands of all time so why not just enjoy them both?

I hate it when people say this. You can enjoy them both but you have to like one better then the other.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 12, 2015 16:41

stanlove
Seb91
. At the end of the day they're two phenomenal bands, arguably the two best rock bands of all time so why not just enjoy them both?

I hate it when people say this. You can enjoy them both but you have to like one better then the other.

Hey Stan, love your view of things, starting to be my favorite poster...smoking smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 12, 2015 17:13

2000 LYFH
stanlove
Seb91

Hey Stan, love your view of things, starting to be my favorite poster...smoking smiley
I like them both equally, absolutely.

Date: March 12, 2015 17:22

stanlove
Seb91

why, cuz you said?

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 18:25

stanlove
Seb91

Not really to be honest. I don't think it's an easy comparison as they're really quite different. It always struck me that The Stones had more direct nods to the old blues stuff whereas The Beatles seemed to have more direct references to rock and roll stuff. Of course there was some overlap - Yer Blues being a great example.

Plus, as I said earlier I think The Stones' peak was during the 70s with Mick Taylor and the early Ronnie stuff. As the Beatles weren't around then there's no real comparison. I guess you could compare it against Wings and Lennon's solo stuff but it's not the same really. I've never got the thing of saying one band is 'better' than another - unless they're doing something really similar (Black Keys & The White Stripes spring to mind) it's not easy to make a direct comparison.

OT: Paul McCartney will induct Ringo Starr into Rock Hall
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 18, 2015 14:57

[news.google.com]

I thought they had a beef

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-18 14:59 by reg thorpe.

Re: OT: Paul McCartney will induct Ringo Starr into Rock Hall
Date: March 18, 2015 15:07

While that's lovely I do have an eyebrow raised that Ringo gets in on the strength of his solo output.

Date: March 18, 2015 15:12

reg thorpe
[news.google.com]

I thought they had a beef

The "beef" was posted on a satirical website smiling smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 18, 2015 15:34

Sure he deserves it. In the early and mid 70s he had a huge solo career. He's played on tons of other stuff, and is a walking brand name in his own right. The guy deserves it. And hell he is still alive and touring, and that is pretty amazing in of itself.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 18, 2015 15:35

treaclefingers
While that's lovely I do have an eyebrow raised that Ringo gets in on the strength of his solo output.

thumbs up

Pretend that he was never a Beatle. Does he still get in as a solo artist? Come on . . .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 224

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home