Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...217218219220221222223224225226227...LastNext
Current Page: 222 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 30, 2015 15:31

Adams
DandelionPowderman
Adams
Is it me or has anyone noticed/mentioned this before?
For the first minute of Goodnight Irene Keith's voice sounds like 70's Keith.
Could they sample old Keith to a new recording?

It's the key and the way he sings smiling smiley

Yeah, and it's totally different than the rest of the song and record.
That vocal bit sounds a bit brighter too, hence my sampling suspision.
Of course I don't mind it, just made me curious.

It's certainly possible to "sample" Keith's vocal but only if he had sung the same words, phrasing, etc. It's not like they have a sample of Keith's tone and timber from the 70's that they can call up and patch in to automatically make Keith's voice sound like it used to from years ago. But they can do things like change the entire key with a DSP program after the track has been cut, not that I think that was done here. I don't think this tune is anything other than a decent take from Keith with typical studio processing like EQ compression and reverb to make it sound the best they could.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: October 30, 2015 15:47

Naturalust
Adams
DandelionPowderman
Adams
Is it me or has anyone noticed/mentioned this before?
For the first minute of Goodnight Irene Keith's voice sounds like 70's Keith.
Could they sample old Keith to a new recording?

It's the key and the way he sings smiling smiley

Yeah, and it's totally different than the rest of the song and record.
That vocal bit sounds a bit brighter too, hence my sampling suspision.
Of course I don't mind it, just made me curious.

It's certainly possible to "sample" Keith's vocal but only if he had sung the same words, phrasing, etc. It's not like they have a sample of Keith's tone and timber from the 70's that they can call up and patch in to automatically make Keith's voice sound like it used to from years ago. But they can do things like change the entire key with a DSP program after the track has been cut, not that I think that was done here. I don't think this tune is anything other than a decent take from Keith with typical studio processing like EQ compression and reverb to make it sound the best they could.

What I meant is that they had the exact take of Keith recorded in the 70's they wanted and they used it.
If they did, to which most of you disagree, it could be meant as just a joke from the producers.

It is unprobable, however it still sounds a lot different than the rest of vocals

Date: October 30, 2015 16:13

Adams
What I meant is that they had the exact take of Keith recorded in the 70's they wanted and they used it.
If they did, to which most of you disagree, it could be meant as just a joke from the producers.

It is unprobable, however it still sounds a lot different than the rest of vocals

Pretty sure there was a story of Keith getting a book or something from Tom Waits? early on and him saying this is what inspired him to cut the track (fresh) and that it somehow started the whole project of making this record. It could be the track was cut years before some of the others since the record was made over such a long period.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 30, 2015 16:28

Good grief. The dude sounds a little different and now it's Watergate? COME ON. Goodnight Irene was recorded for CH just like the rest of the songs were. There's no sampling, there's no old recording...

Oh yeah, Naturalust, it's timbre, not timber... ha ha!

Date: October 30, 2015 16:40

GasLightStreet
Good grief. The dude sounds a little different and now it's Watergate? COME ON. Goodnight Irene was recorded for CH just like the rest of the songs were. There's no sampling, there's no old recording...

Why so tense?
IF and only if they used a sample then it is just interesting. Nothing more.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 30, 2015 16:46

Adams
GasLightStreet

Why so tense?

On what planet could anyone even consider the idea of thinking that Keith would do such a thing? Keith talked about recording it for CH and somehow that's ground for thinking he sampled himself? There is no if.

Date: October 30, 2015 16:58

GasLightStreet
Adams
GasLightStreet

Why so tense?

On what planet could anyone even consider the idea of thinking that Keith would do such a thing? Keith talked about recording it for CH and somehow that's ground for thinking he sampled himself? There is no if.

No IF then tongue sticking out smiley
Actually it would be quite amusing IF he did that...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 30, 2015 17:14

I can't imagine old school Keith knowingly 'sampling' anything, except maybe a new variety of vodka and/or a new strain of California bud.

Other than that - sacrilege.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: October 30, 2015 18:01

This is what I love about this board.
Great discussions
Great insight

Not sure if you've seen this Naturalust, but here's a quote from Chris Kimsey from an article referenced in another thread on the Start Me Up vocal session and Mick vs. Keith's mic technique

What did work, when Jagger showed up for a session, was his ability to perform quickly and effectively, completing a song within four or five takes once he'd sorted out the lyrics. In most cases, he already had a verse as well as an idea of the chorus, and he'd repeat the same verse until he came up with more words.

"He'd give it the full performance, moving all over the place," Kimsey confirms. "It was great to watch and equally great to record. He knows how to work a microphone. He might be at the back of the control room, just a bar before the verse, and all of a sudden he's in front of the mic. He backs off in the chorus when he's singing loud, he gets in close when he's singing soft, and he knows what to do. Keith, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. You need a shotgun to get him in front of the mic. He'll wander all over the place while singing, taking an attitude of 'You do your job, you record me.'"

This was never an issue on 'Start Me Up', which, regardless of the image conveyed in the promotional video, actually features Jagger performing all of the backing vocals as well as the lead. "He's very good at sounding like Keith on harmonies," remarks Kimsey.

[www.soundonsound.com]

Naturalust
35love
What is the correct way, then, to sing into a microphone? Am I dense to think that means keep your mouth positioned steady over it? Thanks.
ETA: I googled it. I dunno, I'm starting to overthink. Basically, his history unfolded how it should have-

You are right 35love. A few simple techniques being the correct distance from the mic are the most important. Also things like increasing that distance when you are force to sing with more volume to either hit a high or particularly long or powerful note or doing the opposite to make it seem like you are actually holding long notes with the same relative volume (when in fact you lost the power earlier in the note). Not exhaling powerful breaths directly into the mic, etc etc.

Different type of mics also have very different qualities for vocals and the dynamic mics used for live performances are MUCH different than the large diaphragm condensers used in the studio and require different techniques. The latter pick up lots of detail and is why you get transients like hearing singers take breaths. Often left in the recordings to provide a sense of intimacy like on Keith's new record! Also of course in the studio there are many things done to make sure the vocal is great like multiple takes and excellent control of compression and EQ.

Anyway, the point is it generally takes practice to do it correctly, and while Mick is a master at it, Keith has been almost classic in his disregard for such techniques. So many times you see him run up to the mic at the last minute or leave the proximity of it early to concentrate on his guitar part or whatever. So many live recording of his vocal (even on his solo tunes) cutting in and out of the mix and this is the primary reason why, imo. Many times he even just backs off early and after an awkward moment Mick is left to finish the phrase for him. Lots of examples of this on Happy throughout the years.

The best vocalist are very aware of mic technique and most professional singers learn it early since it is such an important part of their craft. In any case I think alcohol probably had more to do with Rod's Face's mic techniques than anything else. lol He's definitely shown good mic skills since then in any case. You can witness him changing the distance from the mic during the softer and more powerful vocals in this video....if you can stand to get through it. smoking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-31 06:05 by GS1978.

Date: October 30, 2015 18:30

Hairball
I can't imagine old school Keith knowingly 'sampling' anything, except maybe a new variety of vodka and/or a new strain of California bud.

Other than that - sacrilege.

I'm not saying it happened, probably not. Just curious for your opinion guys.

It's funny how some of you react to a word 'sampling' though. Maybe Keith is old school but so are some of his fans smiling smiley

Let's not call it 'sampling' an old recording to a new one. Let's call it 'overdubbing' new instrumental parts over an old vocal then tongue sticking out smiley

Date: October 30, 2015 18:36

I was just trying to lighten things up Adams, and wasn't criticizing your thoughts on it. thumbs up

Date: October 30, 2015 18:43

Good critisism is alright Hairball, so is lightening up smiling smiley
That vocal part sounds so different than the rest but it is also hard for me to believe that they would do that.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 30, 2015 18:47

GS1978
"Keith, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. You need a shotgun to get him in front of the mic.
He'll wander all over the place while singing, taking an attitude of 'You do your job, you record me.'"

I love watching Keith's approach to the mic in concert, and have often wondered
if part of his skittishness is related to being electrocuted by one in 1965.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-30 19:18 by with sssoul.

Date: October 30, 2015 19:01

Pretty classic quote of just what I was talking about for sure. Thanks for posting it GS1978! It certainly confirms that Keith's aversion to good mic technique isn't limited to his live performances. I think it may be improving a bit since we got such a decent recording of the vocals on his new record but who knows.

What is interesting about the quote is that is kind of shows that Keith may have never really taken his role as a vocalist very seriously. The microphone is such a key part of a vocalists performance that to say something like "You do your job, you record me" while he runs around is kind of flippant and silly, imo. Pretty frustrating for an engineer. I would have duct taped a mic to the mans face or something or given him a headset mic. LOL Kudos to Kimsey for whatever he did. I'm trying to think of a similar analogy for his guitar playing which he obviously does take very seriously, perhaps 'you plug me in, tune my guitar and set my amp up". Oh wait he probably has people to do all that too. Spoiled brat. LOL

Date: October 30, 2015 19:05

with sssoul
GS1978
"Keith, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. You need a shotgun to get him in front of the mic.
He'll wander all over the place while singing, taking an attitude of 'You do your job, you record me.'"[/b][/i]

That would certainly make anyone leery - like jumping back in the ocean after being attacked by a shark! eye popping smiley

Date: October 30, 2015 19:17

What era is Chris Kimsey talking about in that quote, NL? I ask because I think it's pretty obvious

that up to the mid-80s (more or less) Keith was a guitarist who also sang sometimes.
From the mid-80s on he started treating his vocal abilities more seriously,
and that's evolved him into a singer/guitarist. The difference is visible on stage and audible in the studio.
Even though his approach to the mic apparently still isn't up to your standards,
I wonder if a lot of people would rather have pro mic technique or be Keith Richards :E

Date: October 30, 2015 19:17

with sssoul
GS1978
He'll wander all over the place while singing, taking an attitude of 'You do your job, you record me.'"[/b][/i]

with sssoul you just love watching Keith do anything, admit it. grinning smiley But skittish is a pretty good description and you actually may be onto something there!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 30, 2015 19:21

with sssoul
What era is Chris Kimsey talking about in that quote, NL? I ask because I think it's pretty obvious

that up to the mid-80s (more or less) Keith was a guitarist who also sang sometimes.
From the mid-80s on he started treating his vocal abilities more seriously,
and that's evolved him into a singer/guitarist. The difference is visible on stage and audible in the studio.
Even though his approach to the mic apparently still isn't up to your standards,
I wonder if a lot of people would rather have pro mic technique or be Keith Richards :E

When performing live, Keith still does the same thing with the mike, up to and including the date at the Apollo. It doesn't bother me, it's one of his quirks, but I can see how it would make the professionals wince.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-30 19:22 by Turner68.

Date: October 30, 2015 19:23

Naturalust
with sssoul you just love watching Keith do anything, admit it. grinning smiley
But skittish is a pretty good description and you actually may be onto something there!

I would never deny it! After all, Keith is a remarkably well-put-together man with miles of interesting moves.
But you know what? Once again I regret that we're having this very interesting discussion in this thread
that's already way too long to wade through, besides not being the natural place anyone would hunt
for insights into the way Keith and Mick approach the microphone. Can we start over again in a separate thread?
Please?

Date: October 30, 2015 19:25

Turner68
When performing live, Keith still does the same thing with the mike, up to and including the date at the Apollo.

Not to anything like the extent he did in the '70s, though!

Date: October 30, 2015 19:27

He approaches his vocals the same way as some of his guitar playing.

To paraphrase: "Leave a bit of open space to give it some soul and leave some room for the imagination" grinning smiley

Date: October 30, 2015 19:50

oops! Nothing to see here ... :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-30 19:51 by with sssoul.

Posted by: z ()
Date: October 30, 2015 20:17

Naturalust
Pretty classic quote of just what I was talking about for sure. Thanks for posting it GS1978! It certainly confirms that Keith's aversion to good mic technique isn't limited to his live performances. I think it may be improving a bit since we got such a decent recording of the vocals on his new record but who knows.

What is interesting about the quote is that is kind of shows that Keith may have never really taken his role as a vocalist very seriously. The microphone is such a key part of a vocalists performance that to say something like "You do your job, you record me" while he runs around is kind of flippant and silly, imo. Pretty frustrating for an engineer. I would have duct taped a mic to the mans face or something or given him a headset mic. LOL Kudos to Kimsey for whatever he did. I'm trying to think of a similar analogy for his guitar playing which he obviously does take very seriously, perhaps 'you plug me in, tune my guitar and set my amp up". Oh wait he probably has people to do all that too. Spoiled brat. LOL

When using a condenser mic in the studio, it is best to keep some 40 cm distance between the singer and the mic. If the singer is very close to the mic, every little movement is noticeable. Some singers tend to get too close to the mic and engineers have their own tricks to keep them away. One of them is a pop filter.

Date: October 30, 2015 23:13

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 30, 2015 23:51

z
When using a condenser mic in the studio, it is best to keep some 40 cm distance between the singer and the mic. If the singer is very close to the mic, every little movement is noticeable. Some singers tend to get too close to the mic and engineers have their own tricks to keep them away. One of them is a pop filter.

You are of course talking about large diaphragm condenser mics. Some of small diaphragm ones are actually much more forgiving for closer distances, less sensitivity, higher SPL's and higher dynamic range, etc.

Date: October 30, 2015 23:56

Date: October 31, 2015 00:00

Z and Dande, I would love it if you'd join us in this thread: [www.iorr.org] -
and bring your interesting insights with you, please! :E

Date: October 31, 2015 01:32

DandelionPowderman
Keith uses the mic the very same way he plays guitar, writes songs or produces songs. Rough, unpolished and just the way I like it smoking smiley

Yeah but if he did it any other way it would be highly probably it would be just the way you like it too. You are helpless to his ways, admit it. By the way I will expect much less polished and precise guitar playing on the next Stones cover you guys record, your playing might just be a bit too good to capture the Stones vibe. LOL ( I mean that as a complement by the way)

I also read into your comment that you think Keith is without responsibility for some of the slick production we've seen out of the Stones for the last 30 years. Unfortunately and in spite of Crosseyed Heart I'm not letting him off so easy. winking smiley

Date: October 31, 2015 02:00

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 31, 2015 05:50

Keith's version of "Love is Overdue" is being played regularly on The Joint, the reggae station of Sirius XM radio, if anyone is interested… Kind of cool...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...217218219220221222223224225226227...LastNext
Current Page: 222 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1657
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home