Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...162163164165166167168169170171172...LastNext
Current Page: 167 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 23, 2015 15:25

RoughJusticeOnYa
Piano lick on "Blues in the Morning" is taken from Chuck Berry's "Little Queenie". Anybody agree?

Would love to see if we all, joined forces, could reach a comprehensive list of all references like these; obvious inspirations for riffs, licks, breaks & things....

Some earlier reflected the "Demon" familiarity in whats-that-track-named-again...; EDIT: musthave been "Illusion"... Listening to it right now; that 'ta-da-daa, ta-da-daa, dàààà...' is unmistakeable. smoking smiley
...and in the early "Trouble"-days people heard stuff from "Can't You Hear me Knocking" and "How I Wish" in there.

The intro to "Illusion" reminded me of "Baby Break It Down".
And something in the melody line of "Suspicious" reminds me of "This Place Is Empty"

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 23, 2015 15:27

open-g
35love
On the Best Buy bonus track 'Love Overdue' w/ Lee 'Scratch' Perry-
maybe a 'dumb' question,
the 'scratch' sound at the end? It is like a high pitch noise, maybe only me and the dogs hear it?
What is that?
(and I read the CD footnotes before asking...nada...)
Thanks!

Always remember to turn the phone off in the studio.
Scratch is probably receiving text messages on the cell. heh spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

sounds like digital background noise from the plug-ins.
no one cared about such things when it was all analog delays and other gadgets.
*thanks for reply! In reading up on 'Scratch' Perry, (quite a character) he was the master (inventor?) of the 'dub' 'sampling' and added some funky stuff to tracks! It sounds like a scratch sound at the end in 'Love Overdue' bonus. Guess what it exactly is may stay a secret between Keith, Mr. Perry, and CA spleef ;-)
*the start of song 'Trouble' I cannot pinpoint to another Stones song, but the opening riffs always make me think (wait?) for Jagger until Keith's voice comes on.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 23, 2015 15:27

SL818
Bashlets
Hey # 11 is nothing to sneeze at in the USA. Fantastic album all the way around. My favorite since Tattoo YOU. I just cant stop playing it. There really isnt one clunker on it imho. Considering it is probably not getting any air play # 11 is awesome. Talk is Cheap only peaked at what? # 23 or so and MAIN OFFENDER did not even crack the top 50 so 11 is good.

best since Tattoo You? You can not be serious!eye popping smiley

...maybe best since Talk is Cheap that is the best Stones album after Tatoo You.

Date: September 23, 2015 15:29

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 23, 2015 15:39

DandelionPowderman
matxil
RoughJusticeOnYa
Piano lick on "Blues in the Morning" is taken from Chuck Berry's "Little Queenie". Anybody agree?

Would love to see if we all, joined forces, could reach a comprehensive list of all references like these; obvious inspirations for riffs, licks, breaks & things....

Some earlier reflected the "Demon" familiarity in whats-that-track-named-again...; EDIT: musthave been "Illusion"... Listening to it right now; that 'ta-da-daa, ta-da-daa, dàààà...' is unmistakeable. smoking smiley
...and in the early "Trouble"-days people heard stuff from "Can't You Hear me Knocking" and "How I Wish" in there.

And something in the melody line of "Suspicious" reminds me of "This Place Is Empty"

I agree about the first one, but I'm curious on what it is with Suspicious that's reminiscent of TPIE?

Yes, the "Suspicious" - TPIE similarity is more vague. And I actually like Suspicious very much, and TPIE not at all.
But the lines "What have you done to me" in Suspicious(the 3th line of each verse), sounds to my ears a bit like "and make yourself at home" or "you hate to be alone" of TPIE (each 3th line of each verse).

Posted by: SL818 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 15:40

DandelionPowderman
matxil
RoughJusticeOnYa

I agree about the first one, but I'm curious on what it is with Suspicious that's reminiscent of TPIE?

try to sing along the lyrics to TPIE. it works. :-)

Date: September 23, 2015 15:41

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 23, 2015 15:49

I have to say it again. Lover's Plea is among the best work of the Stone and Richards. It's utterly fantastic.

Mathijs

Date: September 23, 2015 15:52

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 23, 2015 15:54

keefriffhards
georgelicks
gotdablouse
Wow, Gilmour is really cleaning up isn't he! Well deserved too with that album of his. Besides he's on tour so that can't hurt.

Yep, he's selling very well and his promotion is way better and big than Keith's one:

- He's on tour, Keith didn't play a single song from the album
- He released 4 or 5 different versions of the album, that helps a lot because the old die hard fans are buying the same album different times to get all the versions.
Keith's album is pretty cheap made, no special editions.
- He released a video for the first single on Youtube, another one is coming and he has lots of interviews about the making of the album there. Keith's "Trouble" is an audio only track and sounds like hell on Youtube and still isn't fixed after 2+ months.
- He made a great interview with his wife on CBS while Keith spent what, 5 minutes, on Fallon's show?

To be fair you cant expect Keith to out sell Dave Gilmour, even the Stones would struggle to do that
But i do agree keiths album could of been marketed much better and he really should of played a few numbers on a few tv shows instead of just answering the same questions over and over in interviews
Interviews don't show the album to anyone, they just show Keith

I'm crossing my fingers for a SNL appearance this Fall. Perfect timing if he can get the band together.

Date: September 23, 2015 16:02

35love
open-g
35love
maybe a 'dumb' question,
the 'scratch' sound at the end? It is like a high pitch noise, maybe only me and the dogs hear it?
What is that?
Thanks!

Scratch is probably receiving text messages on the cell. heh spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

*thanks for reply! In reading up on 'Scratch' Perry, (quite a character) he was the master (inventor?) of the 'dub' 'sampling' and added some funky stuff to tracks! It sounds like a scratch sound at the end in 'Love Overdue' bonus. Guess what it exactly is may stay a secret between Keith, Mr. Perry, and CA spleef ;-)
*the start of song 'Trouble' I cannot pinpoint to another Stones song, but the opening riffs always make me think (wait?) for Jagger until Keith's voice comes on.

Keith appears on two of his fairly recent releases: Revelation, Scratch Came, Saw & Conquered. Both recommended

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-23 16:02 by Maindefender.

Date: September 23, 2015 16:26

Mathijs
I have to say it again. Lover's Plea is among the best work of the Stone and Richards. It's utterly fantastic.

Mathijs

Yes. My favourites till now are "Suspicious", "Illusion", "Just A Gift", "Goodnight Irene" and "Lover's Plea". So, the ballads, one way or other.

The rockers I find okay, but sound less special to me. Yet.

Date: September 23, 2015 16:28

DandelionPowderman
matxil

Yes, the "Suspicious" - TPIE similarity is more vague. And I actually like Suspicious very much, and TPIE not at all.
But the lines "What have you done to me" in Suspicious(the 3th line of each verse), sounds to my ears a bit like "and make yourself at home" or "you hate to be alone" of TPIE (each 3th line of each verse).

Ah, ok! So it's the percussive elements in his music - AGAIN! grinning smiley

Keith is an intuitive musician. These things happen because it's non-filtered.

Is it percussive or melodic? I am not sure, although I think I see your point. You mean the phrasing (not sure that's the official word for it) of the words? It's a vague similarity anyway, but - to me - the association is unescapable.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 23, 2015 16:31

So, who will be the 5,000th poster here?

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 23, 2015 16:34

Is Sssoul alright, her album arrived and no word since
She must be lost in it, enjoying it i hope

Date: September 23, 2015 16:35

Date: September 23, 2015 16:36

Date: September 23, 2015 16:46

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

Ah, ok! So it's the percussive elements in his music - AGAIN! grinning smiley

Keith is an intuitive musician. These things happen because it's non-filtered.

Is it percussive or melodic? I am not sure, although I think I see your point. You mean the phrasing (not sure that's the official word for it) of the words? It's a vague similarity anyway, but - to me - the association is unescapable.

Yeah, I mean the rhythmical part of the phrasing. Probably a hint of the melody as well smiling smiley

Its strange, lots of you are finding similarities in this album to Keiths other solo albums and songs Keith has done on Stones albums
I honestly cant hear any similarities
Some artists make albums that sound like a continuation of the same song all the way through like Green Day for an example
I mean its vary varied on this album and very different to previous solo albums he has made
He is Keith Richards surely he is going to sound like him and play like him to some extent confused smiley

Date: September 23, 2015 16:52

BV said there is something exciting happening next week
Could it possibly be good news about some Keith live activity
If your there BV is there any good news you can give us soon or did you mean just private personal good news for you

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 23, 2015 16:53

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
RoughJusticeOnYa

Yup. I thought the same thing, but in a different spot. The "what have you done to me?" lick is exactly the same (note-wise and rhythmically) as "so empty without you." Every ballad on this record uses the same basic color palette: Aminor, C, G, E, and F.

I don't mean this as a knock. I like every single one of those tunes.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 23, 2015 17:11

The "Who's gonna tell me those lies and let me think they're true" line can be found either in "All About You" and in "Love Overdue" (which, by the way, is a cover).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-23 17:30 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 23, 2015 17:24

Lover's Plea is an exception. The Eb > Bb section is pleasantly unexpected and very atypical for Keith. I think Steve must've come up with it!

Date: September 23, 2015 17:33

Mel Belli

Yup. I thought the same thing, but in a different spot. The "what have you done to me?" lick is exactly the same (note-wise and rhythmically) as "so empty without you." Every ballad on this record uses the same basic color palette: Aminor, C, G, E, and F.

I don't mean this as a knock. I like every single one of those tunes.

Yes, you're right. There's a similarity a bit there too.

Date: September 23, 2015 17:38

keefriffhards

Its strange, lots of you are finding similarities in this album to Keiths other solo albums and songs Keith has done on Stones albums
I honestly cant hear any similarities
Some artists make albums that sound like a continuation of the same song all the way through like Green Day for an example
I mean its vary varied on this album and very different to previous solo albums he has made
He is Keith Richards surely he is going to sound like him and play like him to some extent confused smiley

Aren't you contradicting yourself a bit here? As you say, it's only natural that an artist has certain rhythmic or melodic or <whatever musical term> tendencies that he repeats at different places.
(And it's not the same as the HTW/SS -> Must Be Hell auto-rip-off either.)

The intro of "Illusion" just has a funny similarity to "Baby Break It Down" (undeniable, I think), but the rest of the song is completely different.

And there is a hint of "TPIE" in "Suspicion" but it's like Dandelion and Mel Belli say: just a certain artistic approach/tendency. It doesn't mean anything negative about the song as such. On the contrary, it's a great song.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 23, 2015 17:45

This album gets better each time I listen to it. I can't pinpoint a favorite yet since my pick changes each time I listen to it. I actually can't think of any album so comprehensive in its homage to so many different genres of music.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 23, 2015 18:36

Trumpet player Ben Cauley, a celebrated member of the time-honoured Memphis music community as a co-founder of the Bar-Kays, died on Monday (21) at the age of 67. His work is the musical bridge between Otis Redding, with whom the Bar-Kays toured, and Keith Richards, whose new album features Cauley’s last appearance on record (on ‘Lover’s Plea’).

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2015 18:41

In Suspicious I hear a slight connection to Bob Marley's tune Kaya (mostly '78 version, but also present in '71 version).

The guitar and line, and then...
Keith - Suspicious as it seems, you're cropping up in dreams.

Marley - I feel so high, I even touch the sky.
Or - I feel so good, in my neighborhood.

Might be a stretch, and obviously completely different tunes , but similar in my mind.

Still like Suspicious as a favorite, in the same way You Don't Move Me became a favorite.
They were both the first to really grab me from the first listen.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 23, 2015 19:10

open-g
35love
maybe a 'dumb' question,
What is that?
Thanks!

It's a Farfisa organ, that sound. It's in various places in the song in a couple of different modes.

Date: September 23, 2015 19:26

Cristiano Radtke
Trumpet player Ben Cauley, a celebrated member of the time-honoured Memphis music community as a co-founder of the Bar-Kays, died on Monday (21) at the age of 67. His work is the musical bridge between Otis Redding, with whom the Bar-Kays toured, and Keith Richards, whose new album features Cauley’s last appearance on record (on ‘Lover’s Plea’).

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Wow, Keith really went to the real deals on these songs. Thanks Cristiano

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 23, 2015 19:52

Keith's album is excellent, IMO. This is the most important factor, I guess. In addition, as expert IORRians (like Georgelicks) say, it is going to be his most sucessful album, from a commercial point of view, by the measures of the era, of course.

But the moaning is unceasing here!... Some say, "what a shame, Gilmour sells much better...". My first "answer" could be "so what?". My second answer: It surprises me the fact that some people can't undestand how pointless this comparison is. Keith is an iconic guitarist of a legentary band. David was an iconic guitarist AND singer of another legendary band. Speaking about the so called general public, the difference is huge: Any David's solo album seems and sounds like an good Floyd's "representative". But Keith's albums are not "working" this way - Mick's voice would be neccessary for that...

Maybe for the hardcore Stones fans Keith's singing is a part of the band's soul. But for the "general public" Keith is an iconic guitarist who "can't sing"...

So, don't underestimate Keith's success!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...162163164165166167168169170171172...LastNext
Current Page: 167 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home