Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...949596979899100101102103104...LastNext
Current Page: 99 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 25, 2015 14:55

It´s all very confusing. If the Stones would return to the studio this fall, the studios would have been booked months in advance. Not a word of it has been spread so far. So possibly they will not record a new album. Keith obviously is not interested in touring his own album, the Stones are not touring either, a new record may only be wishful thinking. I guess they will carry on with their tour-routine next spring and do nothing in the meantime. They release Tokyo Dome this fall, so there probably will be no Sticky-Fingers-Fonda-release this year. Maybe they will lock this memorable concert in the attic for decades or will never release it at all.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: August 25, 2015 15:03

Lorenz
I'm really disappointed they didn't do this properly after all. I'd fire my social media manager right away if a major promotion with communicated dates gets messed up like that.

Do we know if the person who unlocked Amnesia actually went to Dartford to unlock the song? Or did that person just faked his/her location using some tools?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 25, 2015 15:06

Lorenz
I'm really disappointed they didn't do this properly after all. I'd fire my social media manager right away if a major promotion with communicated dates gets messed up like that.

Agreed. It's really bad form and especially inexcusable in the case of such a high-profile artist who should have no one but the best working for him.

Date: August 25, 2015 15:12

Could it be that the given date (the 24th) simply was wrong, as the first song was unlocked on the 18th?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 25, 2015 15:13

Beast
Lorenz

Agreed. It's really bad form and especially inexcusable in the case of such a high-profile artist who should have no one but the best working for him.

Agree

embarassing

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 25, 2015 15:21

I got a feeling Keith has hit the bottle hard again and just can't be bothered to do anything

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 25, 2015 15:23

DandelionPowderman
Could it be that the given date (the 24th) simply was wrong, as the first song was unlocked on the 18th?

I did find it odd that the second date wasn't a week after the first, so maybe we're dealing with a misprint - let's see if anything happens today. The first tweet happened at about 1.30 London time....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 25, 2015 15:25

georgelicks
Some worldwide sales for the solo works:

She's The Boss (2,5 worldwide, 1.3 m US)
Primitive Cool (800-850k worldwide, 300-350k US)
Talk is Cheap (900k - 1 m worldwide, 600-650k US)
Hollywood Palladium (150-200k worldwide, 60k US)
Main Offender (400-500k worldwide, 250k US)
Wandering Spirit (2.2 - 2.3 m worldwide, +1 m Europe, 500k US)
Goddess In The Doorway (1.3 m worldwide, +500k Europe, 350k US)
Alfie soundtrack (150-200k worldwide, 80k US)
Best Of MJ (200-250k worldwide, 60k US)
Vintage Winos (20k US)
Superheavy (550-600k worldwide, 250-300k Europe, 140k US)

Thank you, georgelicks, once again, for giving us some 'hard facts'. (It would be great if you could give also Stones album sales, perhaps in a thread of its own. You gave those some years ago, but I always have so many difficulties in finding that thread when I need those figures...)

Some observations:

1. Ironical that no matter how much all kind of shit GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY got at the time (UK Press and Keith Richards leading the choir), it finally sold more copies than Keith's winning album, 'the best Stones album since EXILE/SOME GIRLS/TATTOO YOU, etc'. TALK IS CHEAP.

2. Both Mick and KEith's debut albums are their best sellers. In both cases - I remember well - being a MIck/Keith solo alone - no matter what it contained - gathered a lot of expectations and interest. Now when we finally will have a new solo album, there might be some similar enthusiasism, but, however, that is nothing compared to the excitement during the 80's. What would Jagger or Richards sound without the context of THe Rolling Stones... no one had any idea prior SHE'S THE BOSS and TALK IS CHEAP...

3. Seeemingly when that need and curiosity was satisfied, and probably in both cases, the results not meeting the actual standards of, say, The Rolling Stones, both solo artists flopped with their second album. Jagger, taking the context, and what he'd been used to, really bad - which probably had an effect on him getting the Stones rolling again. Richards, too: by the sales standards of the day, Keith's MAIN OFFENDER, started to be an item of cult following, and the legend himself, despite his name, pretty far from the limelights. No wonder Richards wasn't too keen on doing another commercial solo album for a long time.

4. Of all those six solo albums, only two - Jagger's SHE'S THE BOSS and WANDERING SPIRIT - have sold numbers that are somehow reaching the sales of weakest selling Stones albums (such as IT'S ONLY R&R, BLACK & BLUE, UNDERCOVER, DIRTY WORK). But, however, even though WANDERING SPIRIT was not just a critical, but also a commercial success, it pales in comparison to the nearest Stones albums 'surrounding' it: both STEEL WHEELS and VOODOO LOUNGE sold at least twice as much as it did.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 15:28 by Doxa.

Date: August 25, 2015 15:26

Green Lady
DandelionPowderman

I did find it odd that the second date wasn't a week after the first, so maybe we're dealing with a misprint - let's see if anything happens today. The first tweet happened at about 1.30 London time....

I checked now, and all the following dates are a week after the 24th... confused smiley

Keith's people are either laughing their heads off right now, or simply don't care at all...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 25, 2015 15:32

keefriffhards
I got a feeling Keith has hit the bottle hard again and just can't be bothered to do anything

Reliable sources have confirmed this to me. So sad….. moody smileymoody smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 25, 2015 15:40

gwen
Do we know if the person who unlocked Amnesia actually went to Dartford to unlock the song?
Or did that person just fake his/her location using some tools?

No, we don't know that - or anyway I don't - but why are you asking, if I may ask?

Maybe they couldn't get permits to put up the plaques. Maybe an irate occupant objected.
Maybe one of the tracks is called A Day Late. Maybe it *is* amnesia.
(My fear is that they've given up the "treasure hunt" because they've found out about the bootleg and feel there's no point.)

Date: August 25, 2015 15:43

Doxa
georgelicks

Vintage Winos (20k US)

Thank you, georgelicks, once again, for giving us some 'hard facts'. (It would be great if you could give also Stones album sales, perhaps in a thread of its own. You gave those some years ago, but I always have so many difficulties in finding that thread when I need those figures...)

Some observations:

1. Ironical that no matter how much all kind of shit GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY got at the time (UK Press and Keith Richards leading the choir), it finally sold more copies than Keith's winning album, 'the best Stones album since EXILE/SOME GIRLS/TATTOO YOU, etc'. TALK IS CHEAP.

2. Both Mick and KEith's debut albums are their best sellers. In both cases - I remember well - being a MIck/Keith solo alone - no matter what it contained - gathered a lot of expectations and interest. Now when we finally will have a new solo album, there might be some similar enthusiasism, but, however, that is nothing compared to the excitement during the 80's. What would Jagger or Richards sound without the context of THe Rolling Stones... no one had any idea prior SHE'S THE BOSS and TALK IS CHEAP...

3. Seeemingly when that need and curiosity was satisfied, and probably in both cases, the results not meeting the actual standards of, say, The Rolling Stones, both solo artists flopped with their second album. Jagger, taking the context, and what he'd been used to, really bad - which probably had an effect on him getting the Stones rolling again. Richards, too: by the sales standards of the day, Keith's MAIN OFFENDER, started to be an item of cult following, and the legend himself, despite his name, pretty far from the limelights. No wonder Richards wasn't too keen on doing another commercial solo album for a long time.

4. Of all those six solo albums, only two - Jagger's SHE'S THE BOSS and WANDERING SPIRIT - have sold numbers that are somehow reaching the sales of weakest selling Stones albums (such as IT'S ONLY R&R, BLACK & BLUE, UNDERCOVER, DIRTY WORK). But, however, even though WANDERING SPIRIT was not just a critical, but also a commercial success, it pales in comparison to the nearest Stones albums 'surrounding' it: both STEEL WHEELS and VOODOO LOUNGE sold at least twice as much as it did.

- Doxa

Can i just say in 88' 92' how could Keith be expected to outsell the most famous man on the planet
In 88' i had girlfriends and mates that had never heard of Keith Richards
Mick Jagger is a mega-star, the most recognisable person on the planet
Stands to reason more people would buy a Jagger album for themselves out of curiosity, or as a gift for mum, dad, brother, boyfriend what ever
I think its very telling that Keith sold over half a million in the US for TIC and Mick sold about the same for WS
A result for Keith i would say because its clearly a better album, that most people agree is better than Mick's efforts

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 25, 2015 15:46

It's not a competition...

Date: August 25, 2015 16:04

Maindefender
keefriffhards

Reliable sources have confirmed this to me. So sad….. moody smileymoody smiley

Its a horrible disease, i hope he is ok
Only just got free of the demon drink myself this week
That's why i'm a moody git lol
Your never free from temptation
I think Keith had to many nights waiting for the next gig in too many hotels recently
I mean 2 shows a week
What do you do in the meantime
He is Keith Richards he cant go anywhere without people all around him like leaches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 16:12 by keefriffhards.

Date: August 25, 2015 16:05

keefriffhards

Can i just say in 88' 92' how could Keith be expected to outsell the most famous man on the planet
Stands to reason more people would buy a Jagger album for themselves out of curiosity, or as a gift for mum, dad, brother, boyfriend what ever
I think its very telling that Keith sold over half a million in the US for TIC and Mick sold about the same for WS
A result for Keith i would say because its clearly a better album, that most people agree is better than Mick's efforts

Still WANDERING SPIRIT sold more than twice worldwide, or is that the US market only counts?winking smiley

I think both of them sold nice figures for their debut albums just by their name. If Keith's name wasn't that well-known at the time (I doubt) his sales pretty much indicate how much die-hard or enough big Rolling Stones fans there were 'out there' (I think that is especially true with MAIN OFFENDER and its damn weak sales - those who had bought TALK IS CHEAP by curiosity had disappeared by then; only the loyal Stones fans were left).

As far as quality marks something, I think only Jagger's WANDERING SPIRIT seemed to sell thanks to its surprisingly good content. After the total flop of PRIMITIVE COOL, he was in the eyes of many a lost case as a solo artist. But Jagger proved them wrong. His reputation and name didn't save PRINITIVE COOL to flop - why would that had happened with WANDERING SPIRIT? My guess that the latter's relatively good sales had something to do with the content. Even many conservative Stones fans (=Keith RIchards camp) seemed to like the album...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 16:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 25, 2015 16:07

I suggest to ask in the Facebook and Twitter accounts, about what's happening.
like so:
sara
Keith darlin, what happened to the new track that was supposed to be revealed 24th August, aka yesterday? Did your promo team forgot to provide the address of the second plaque? Such a cool promotion - but only if they do it as advertised! Wake 'em up, okay? We're pining to hear the next song

just follow the links on the upper right
[www.keithrichards.com]

man, they must have party'd hard. drinking smiley

Date: August 25, 2015 16:10

Doxa
keefriffhards

Still WANDERING SPIRIT sold more than twice worldwide, or is that the US market only counts?winking smiley

I think both of them sold nice figures for their debut albums just by their name. If Keith's name wasn't that well-known at the time (I doubt) his sales pretty much indicate how much die-hard or enough big Rolling Stones fans there were 'out there' (I think that is especially true with MAIN OFFENDER and its damn weak sales - those who had bought TALK IS CHEAP by curiosity had disappeared by then; only the loyal Stones fans were left).

As far as quality marks something, I think only Jagger's WANDERING SPIRIT seemed to sell thanks to its surprisingly good content. After the total flop of PRIMITIVE COOL, he was in the eyes of many a lost case as a solo artist. But Jagger proved them wrong. His reputation and name didn't save PRINITIVE COOL to flop - why would that had happened with WANDERING SPIRIT? My guess that the latter's relatively good sales had something to do with the content. Even many conservative Stones fans (=Keith RIchards camp) seemed to like the album...

- Doxa

Agreed WS is the best of Mick's albums, but we will just have to agree to disagree on which album is the better between WS and TIC winking smiley
But i know i'm right lol

Date: August 25, 2015 16:11

Doxa
keefriffhards

- Doxa

Sweet Thing and MTV sold Wandering Spirit. Brilliant single, great video.

Keith is not in the same league when it comes to a catchy single like that.

Date: August 25, 2015 16:13

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
keefriffhards

- Doxa

Sweet Thing and MTV sold Wandering Spirit. Brilliant single, great video.

Keith is not in the same league when it comes to a catchy single like that.

Thank god

Date: August 25, 2015 16:18

Who'll break into page 100 for this thread? winking smiley

Date: August 25, 2015 16:23

DandelionPowderman

Me?

No, I'm not gonna do nothin'
I ain't gonna do shhh
I ain't gonna do nothin'
I'm gonna sit in there
And I'm waiting
Until the sh1t kicks in
You understand me?
You got it?
You got it?
You got it?

dang! still page 99

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 16:24 by open-g.

Date: August 25, 2015 16:28

grinning smiley

Date: August 25, 2015 16:33

keefriffhards
Doxa
keefriffhards

- Doxa

Agreed WS is the best of Mick's albums, but we will just have to agree to disagree on which album is the better between WS and TIC winking smiley
But i know i'm right lol

grinning smiley

Qualitywise they are for me rather equal. Good albums. Both have their ups and downs... And both of them contain better music than what the Stones were doing at the time (that is: what they were able to do together any longer, which I think speaks volumes...), DIRTY WORK, STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE...

- Doxa

Date: August 25, 2015 16:35

open-g
DandelionPowderman

Me?

No, I'm not gonna do nothin'
I ain't gonna do shhh
I ain't gonna do nothin'
I'm gonna sit in there
And I'm waiting
Until the sh1t kicks in
You understand me?
You got it?
You got it?
You got it?

dang! still page 99

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 16:36 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 25, 2015 16:36

Who said Keith has hit the bottle again.
I dont care about such rumours.

It´s nonsense. I am sure Keith is clean but cant see any sense in touring Crosseyed Heart, because it would not get one copy more sold.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 25, 2015 16:37

georgelicks

Vintage Winos (20k US)

GL are you sure about Goddess?! It has sold 80 k and not 350 in uk. And then 1.3 m worldwide it seems too many copies.

Date: August 25, 2015 16:39

KRiffhard
georgelicks

Vintage Winos (20k US)

GL are you sure about Goddess?! It has sold 80 k and not 350 in uk. And then 1.3 m worldwide it seems too many copies.

It says 350k US.

I don't know the figures, but it's perfectly possible that it sold 500k in Europe, but only 80k in the UK, isn't it?

Date: August 25, 2015 16:41

HMS

It´s nonsense. I am sure Keith is clean but cant see any sense in touring Crosseyed Heart, because it would not get one copy more sold.

I said i think he has and Maindefender confirmed it from a reliable source

Date: August 25, 2015 16:44

KRiffhard
georgelicks

Vintage Winos (20k US)

Is someone telling porky's to us lol

Date: August 25, 2015 16:45

keefriffhards
HMS

I said i think he has and Maindefender confirmed it from a reliable source

Don't believe everything just because it was on the internutz. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 16:49 by open-g.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...949596979899100101102103104...LastNext
Current Page: 99 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home