Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Random Bill Wyman Quote
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:46

Which alternatives did Sir Michael have? Was not inviting Perks or Taylor to a 50 years band jubilee really an alternative? Was it solely out of kindness The Commander invited the pair to take part in this?

Date: September 26, 2013 15:57

So?

Date: September 26, 2013 17:05

What I mean is that it wasn't out of kindness Bill and Mick T were invited; a 50 year jubilee without them wouldn't have been credible.
And, furthermore, the inclusion of the two made it possible to charge those exorbitant ticket prices.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 26, 2013 17:37

wanderingspirit66
Doxa
And if speculate more of Jagger's position, I think he is such a professional that he don't consider these kind of 'personal' or 'nostalgic' matters over the actual working of the band. I mean, for Jagger - to be able to concentrate 100% to make his show work - the less he has worries about how the band works, the better. Even though he would love to have Wyman - or Taylor - there all the time, I don't think he would ever get this nostalgic feeling go over his will to to keep the band as 'safe and sure' in backing him up. The way I read Jagger, he has bigger schemes than 'personal relations' in his mind (how could he even stand Richards, if he wouldn't?); a modern Stones is Jagger's masterpiece in minimizing all the risky factors it might have - as it did traditionally, long time ago, have (we nostalgic romantics would say rejecting the "danger" elements out). And that dedication and attitude has kept the Stones as a trademark strong concert draw for decades now.

So my 'educated guess' is that what deep down happened between Wyman and the Stones was simply that Wyman's nostalgic thoughts of happy 'get together' simply clashed with Jagger's determinated way to lead the band, and keep it on a 'right' track. Jagger simply didn't share the 'romantical' view Wyman seemed to have about this 50th Anniversary. Jagger surely knows how to play the nostalgia card, but not that way. In a way, I actually admire Jagger's determinate professionalism.

- Doxa

I don't think this has that much to do with determinate (read ruthless) professionalism. Jagger did accept that 50 years was all about being nostalgic and romanticizing the anniversary was just a part of the process. IMO, it is the only reason Jagger even went through the process - not because he was nostalgic, certainly not because he wanted to work with Richards - but more because one is supposed to be nostalgic after 50 years. The Rolling Stones were always supposed to last 50 years and more. It is also precisely why Jagger included Wyman and Taylor at all. Including them to any extent was actually quite a sweet thing to do and also extend the romantic myth.
You can't have people walking and out of organizations as they please. What happens to the ones who came later and the ones that replaced them - leave them out hanging and then they step in when ordered to do so? Or slight them by letting them know that they aren’t really part of the “best” version of the band?

You think “he is such a professional that he don't consider these kind of 'personal' or 'nostalgic' matters over the actual working of the band”.

I actually believe the complete opposite, Jagger's dedication to the Stones is so great that he considers these personal and nostalgic matters to be an intrinsic component to the actual workings of the band. It is also why he often works outside the band. It is also why in 50 years you'd be hard pressed to find anything grossly negative that Jagger has said regarding the Stones or a fellow Stone. The Stones may be Brian's baby but they have certainly been Jagger's to raise and Jagger's burden to carry.

In regards to the Stones and its members, Jagger's decisions hardly smack of deterministic professionalism. Au contraire, his decisions seem laden with sensitivity to both current and past members of the band, more aligned with someone thoughtfully managing the process of pleasing as many people as possible that are associated with the Stones (including a host of disapproving and disingenuous fans who think they can do better). Jagger, the front man has not had the luxury to choose between arrangements that are safe and sure versus those that are dangerous and risky; Jagger the front man has had to worry more about whether his backing band can even function every day or not.

What I admire more is that has the IQ and EQ to manage a host of diplomatically bankrupt boozards, junkies, curmudgeons that surround him, often musically incompetent and yet he steers the band and have it reach these improbable milestones - even perform Glastonbury and Hyde Park.

There was a funny blurb in the New Yorker when Jagger turned 70 - see below
[www.newyorker.com]
Hertzberg, too, had attended one of the Stones’ concerts that week, and, leaving the Garden, he ran into a friend. The friend, Hertzberg wrote, was one of those people who are obsessed with ranking things: “Over the years, he has informed me at various times that Mao Tse-tung is the No. 1 politician, Le Monde is the No. 1 newspaper, and the Siamese cat is the No. 1 urban pet.” “I’ve decided that Mick Jagger is No. 1,” he told Hertzberg.
“You mean he’s the best rock singer in the world? Of course he is,” I said.
“No,” he said. “I mean that he’s No. 1 over all. I mean that if I were to make a list ranking all the people in the world, all four billion of them, his name would be the first on the list. In the field of human beings, Mick Jagger is No. 1.”

Great post, wanderingspirit66!thumbs up

Jagger simply didn't share the 'romantical' view Wyman seemed to have about this 50th Anniversary

Really, Doxa?
from all that I know and have read about the two, I would dare to suggest that it is Jagger who is much more romantic in his relation to the Stones. after all it's his(and Keith's) creation, his art and his life. For Wyman Stones was always a job, nothing more.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 27, 2013 08:49

Doxa
owlbynite
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
There is a conspiracy everywhere, if you'll look hard enough, Doxa.

This time, it looks simple: Bill was disappointed that he didn't get a bigger role - and perhaps he didn't get the time required for his travel plans/arrangement.

They didn't HAVE to invite him, but they did.

What's hypocritical by saying having Bill back was fantastic? Man, that's a weird statement!

While you're lurking in conspiracy-land, I prefer sticking to the reality. The Stones is not a war zone, it's a pensionnaire entourage. This just isn't a crime novel. If a guest can't adapt to how it is, that's sad - but not necessarily anyone's fault...

A-ha, since I'm not seeing everything according to the Holy Doctrine of The Rolling Stones where Mick and Keith Can Do No Wrong, and where me a mortal fan is only supposed to praise everything these Gods do, and be eternally happy if any bone is thrown to me by them, I am "lurking in conspiracy-land". Besides, everytime someone is claiming to be have a privileged access to "reality" - and thereby seeing the rivalling views as non-rational - we are drifting to dangerous waters.

That True Believier Attitude is so beatifully expressed in your point that "They didn't HAVE to invite him, but they did". Yes, praise them - those altruistic saints were just so nice to that old bugger and to us stupid fans to do a gesture like that. No, they didn't "have to" do that, but they just had so big hearts. Hallelujah! Nor didn't they had to ask so much guarantee money they asked for their gigs, but those sweethearts did in the solely for the joy of us having a chance to see them. Hallelujah!

But my initial point in my post was that Wyman still had a little 'nostalgic' picture of the band - if I recall right he had some three decades history eith them - which didn't match with the reality any longer. That's the way I interpret his bitternesss. Of course, for you True Believers, he is just a "bitter" man an sich (not to forget his systematic bullshit with which he makes such heretic claims of composing the riff of "Jumpin' Jack Flash"), so no need to even try to understand any reasons for his bitterness.

- Doxa

...Holy Doctrine of the Rolling Stones.....winking smiley

A bit heavy rhetorics I admit... grinning smiley

I had so much fun in writing that, and it wasn't meant to be offensive or anything, but just over-exaggarated caricature picture of the funny position I take some fans here to have. I hope Dandie sees through it...

- Doxa

Laughed at...where Mick & Keith can do no wrong.., too! cool smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 28, 2013 02:03

Stoneage
What I mean is that it wasn't out of kindness Bill and Mick T were invited; a 50 year jubilee without them wouldn't have been credible.
And, furthermore, the inclusion of the two made it possible to charge those exorbitant ticket prices.

That's an interesting point. It would have been a bit of a political headache is Bill hadn't joined in and been there for not just the O2 shows, but cooperating for Crossfire, attending the premiere, and the London photo exhibit.

I think, sadly, that it's really not about the music for Mick. It's really about the business. He doesn't even seem particularly interested in stretching the music out by playing lesser know numbers (lesser known to the general public). I don't remember ever hearing Mick ever make much comment on how he felt about each member's musical abilities and musical contribution to the band. (Except the stock Brian as 'colourist' routine). Could it be that Mick doesn't even particularly like the way the Stones sound? In an alternate universe Mick might not even like the Rolling Stones.

All I know is that the crowd was really psyched when Mick Taylor played Midnight Rambler on the last tour. It was the true high point of the concert. Could Mick be oblivious to that? Bringing out a lineup of Taylor, Wyman, Richards, Watts and Jagger would have brought tears to the eyes of a lot of longtime fans. That was one of the two golden group of Stones, along with early Brian. But such considerations seem beyond what Jagger thinks of or will allow.

I also think Stonehearted, Doxa and Gazza and His Majesty, and some others I'm too lazy to go back and look at, made some great contributions to this thread.

Who gives a shit if 21-year-old-Joe-Frat-Boy Stones concertgoer only wants warhorses and gets bored easy? There's room to give the long time fans something too. I will never go see the Stones live again if it's as scripted and boring and predictable as the last tour was.

Date: September 28, 2013 16:32

Stoneage

They could have toured without them and charged the same.

Of course it would have been credible. It was more righteously to include them, though.

Date: September 28, 2013 16:57

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

They could have toured without them and charged the same.

Of course it would have been credible. It was more righteously to include them, though.

So you mean people would have flown in from half around the world spending ten grand on travel, accommodation and tickets just for another Rolling Stones gig?
You don't think the presence of Taylor and Wyman raised the bar a bit?

Date: September 28, 2013 17:30

Not as much as you think.

It wasn't "just another Stones gig". It was the first gig after 6 years - many thought the band was finished. And it was the anniversary.

And, no, I don't hordes of people fly around the world to see Bill Wyman, unfair or not.

I think a lot of the people didn't even know who Taylor is. Sad, but true, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-28 17:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 28, 2013 17:42

I'd say a lot of people who were at the concerts couldn't even name all the core band members, let alone Mick Taylor.

It's easy to think that because we all know the minutiae of the band, that everyone else knows it too. Casual fans made up the bulk of those high priced ticket holders and they were there for the experience of seeing an iconic band, hearing those familiar songs live before it was to late.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: September 28, 2013 20:15

The peeople beside and behind me didn't know who Mick Taylor was, and I know both groups had been to more concerts than I had. It felt kind of weird having to tell them when they asked me.

Date: September 28, 2013 20:21

KatieGirl
The peeople beside and behind me didn't know who Mick Taylor was, and I know both groups had been to more concerts than I had. It felt kind of weird having to tell them when they asked me.

I don't think the average Rolling Stones sucker fan would know the difference if the others just stood there and mimed to the records while Mick sang.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 28, 2013 21:18

Random Bill Wyman quote...

"Honest your honour, I thought she was at least 15".

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 28, 2013 21:34

24FPS
the average Rolling Stones sucker fan

Oh, how I would love to have a definition of that

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 28, 2013 22:07

Rolling Hansie
24FPS

Rolling Stones sucker fan: Someone who paid more than $150 to any show on the current tour. Someone who thought Mick Taylor would play at least 3-4 songs at each stop. Someone who thought the band would be as good as they've been in the past. Someone who went to more than one show, expecting a setlist that differed by more than one of two 'rarities'. Someone who thought an $85 'Lottery' ticket couldn't be the absolute worst seats in the house, almost totally obstructed, and not even offered for sale before the concert. (Of which I was one).

Date: September 28, 2013 23:19

24FPS
Rolling Hansie
24FPS

Rolling Stones sucker fan: Someone who paid more than $150 to any show on the current tour. Someone who thought Mick Taylor would play at least 3-4 songs at each stop. Someone who thought the band would be as good as they've been in the past. Someone who went to more than one show, expecting a setlist that differed by more than one of two 'rarities'. Someone who thought an $85 'Lottery' ticket couldn't be the absolute worst seats in the house, almost totally obstructed, and not even offered for sale before the concert. (Of which I was one).

I'll have you know that I got 85's and got upgraded 5 minutes before show time and was in row 12 beside the stage. Mick would wave at me every time he pranced passed.

I'm not even joking.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 28, 2013 23:24

treaclefingers
24FPS
Rolling Hansie
24FPS

I'll have you know that I got 85's and got upgraded 5 minutes before show time and was in row 12 beside the stage. Mick would wave at me every time he pranced passed.

I'm not even joking.

Same scenario...I went the $85 route to three concerts and got upgraded to great seats for two of the shows. If that makes me a sucker fan, than I'm a happy one. smiling smiley

Date: September 29, 2013 00:23

24FPS
Rolling Hansie
24FPS

Yes, count me in for that one. But I don't fit into the other things you mention. Do I still qualify ?

-------------------

Date: September 29, 2013 00:27

Rolling Hansie
24FPS
Rolling Hansie
24FPS

Yes, count me in for that one. But I don't fit into the other things you mention. Do I still qualify ?

yeah, you're still rolling with us hansie.

Date: September 29, 2013 00:33

Thanks treacle, but I really would like to know if I still qualify for Rolling Stones sucker fan, according to 24FPS' standards

-------------------

Date: September 29, 2013 00:36

treaclefingers
I'm not even joking.

Now this is serious stuff. What's wrong ? Nothing bad I hope

-------------------

Date: September 29, 2013 06:01

Rolling Hansie
treaclefingers
I'm not even joking.

Now this is serious stuff. What's wrong ? Nothing bad I hope

even though I said "I'm not even joking", I was in fact, even joking at that point.

Date: September 29, 2013 11:10

treaclefingers
even though I said "I'm not even joking", I was in fact, even joking at that point.

Good news, thanks. Unless you are joking now of course.

-------------------

Date: September 29, 2013 14:07

We're proud suckers grinning smiley

Date: September 29, 2013 16:48

Rolling Hansie
treaclefingers

Good news, thanks. Unless you are joking now of course.

I've forgotten the question.

Date: September 29, 2013 21:33

treaclefingers
I've forgotten the question.

That's good

-------------------

Date: September 30, 2013 03:19

Rolling Hansie
24FPS
Rolling Hansie
24FPS

Sorry. I had to go out of town. Yes, of course, you're a sucker. And it's nice that the others got to upgrade their $85 seats, but unfortunately those of us at the first show, Los Angeles, didn't know this angle. We were the guinea pigs. And we should have never been in obstructed areas to begin with. The Lottery tickets were sold as not being any worse than the next lowest level $150 seat.

The only way I can see paying more than $150 this last tour is if you'd never seen them before and you wanted a decent seat. But if you're a veteran Stones fan/concertgoer, you've seen them play much better shows at much more reasonable rates. Face it, they gouged the fans this time around. There's no denying it. Good luck to them. I think they're in the final lap of running around the world to scoop up as much cash as they can before age denies them the chance to do so. And they're doing it with the least available effort on their part, playing songs they can do in their sleep now, and very often sound like they are.

I've always felt like there was value for money on a Stones tour, but not any more. The music and the act is tired and predictable. Only Mick is still at the high level set by the band's reputation. They should be charging less, since you're getting less.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 30, 2013 03:29

They were accused of price-gouging on the '69 tour, and every tour thereafter. With the Stones, it is what it is. Of course I wish they would make concert tickets more affordable for people, but by the same token, if someone paid more than $150 (even a lot more) and felt s/he'd got his/her money's worth, then that someone isn't a sucker. Value is relative.

Date: September 30, 2013 05:10

Aquamarine
They were accused of price-gouging on the '69 tour, and every tour thereafter. With the Stones, it is what it is. Of course I wish they would make concert tickets more affordable for people, but by the same token, if someone paid more than $150 (even a lot more) and felt s/he'd got his/her money's worth, then that someone isn't a sucker. Value is relative.

There's a big difference between accused of gouging for $5.00 for a top ducat in '69, and 130 times that for 2013. The highest I paid was $225 in 1999 for No Security. I'd never seen them in an arena, and I'd never seen them close-up. They were on fire musically, having been on the road for most of 3 years. That was expensive, but worth it for value.

A Bigger Bang at Dodger Stadium in 2006 was expensive, but I got floor seats and saw them close up. But it was more of a show than a musical experience. Still, a good value.

I agree that value is relative. It's just my 2-cent opinion. To my ears, and I've been going to Stones concerts since 1978, they jumped the shark on this last tour. One too many times of going to the same well.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 30, 2013 07:29

24FPS
Aquamarine

There's a big difference between accused of gouging for $5.00 for a top ducat in '69, and 130 times that for 2013. The highest I paid was $225 in 1999 for No Security. I'd never seen them in an arena, and I'd never seen them close-up. They were on fire musically, having been on the road for most of 3 years. That was expensive, but worth it for value.

A Bigger Bang at Dodger Stadium in 2006 was expensive, but I got floor seats and saw them close up. But it was more of a show than a musical experience. Still, a good value.

I agree that value is relative. It's just my 2-cent opinion. To my ears, and I've been going to Stones concerts since 1978, they jumped the shark on this last tour. One too many times of going to the same well.

Inflation, my friend. I don't think the relative values are much different.

Not that I'm supporting the ticket prices.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home