Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A new Rolling Stones Tour with only songs from the 60s
Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 30, 2013 01:58

What do you all think?? When The Rolling Stones would go on the road and perform only songs, which they recorded in the 60s with maybe some unreleased songs from that time.

It would for me such a great concert tour, when it would happen!

Re: A new Rolling Stones Tour with only songs from the 60s
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 30, 2013 02:23

Awful concept.

Fine for a package/reunion tour for the likes of The Searchers or The Tremeloes.

Totally pointless for any act who existed beyond that decade, let alone made any decent music after it.

They'd be the biggest joke in the industry if they went down that route.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 30, 2013 02:50

Beyond cool!!!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 30, 2013 02:56

And not to mention the people who would complain for the lack of warhorses.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 30, 2013 02:57

yeah I don't like the idea myself.

Having said that, I think doing some sort of concept tour, ie two albums in their entirety for each stop would be beyond unbelievable but that would never happen in this dimension.

Prolly have to go to the 4th dimension for that.

Can you imagine though, Philadelphia gets Sticky Fingers & Emotional Rescue
Boston gets Aftermath and Tattoo You, Toronto gets Let It Bleed and Undercover, LA gets "Goats Head Soup & Dirty Work" (sorry LA!), Vancouver gets "Exile on Main Street and Some Girls" - with the deluxe cuts thrown in.

A great tour in that other dimension.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 30, 2013 03:04

They barely do anything past the 60s now.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 30, 2013 03:46

Why stop at just songs?

Limit the instruments, amps, and sound systems to that period as well, and the ticket prices.

And also only band members from the 60s, and they have to play in the exact tempo as they did back then.....

wait, does this mean the return of the screaming girls also, so that we won't be able to hear the music?

Also, the audience must arrive attired in vintage threads, only clothes from the 60s.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 30, 2013 06:10

Take away Tumbling Dice, Its Only Rock n Roll, Miss You, and Start Me Up and you're basically already there. Outside of those four, plus a new song or two, they stay close to songs they could have or did play at Altamont.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 30, 2013 06:15

If Brian were still here, you bet. If only..

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 30, 2013 07:27

stonehearted

wait, does this mean the return of the screaming girls also, so that we won't be able to hear the music?

Which part of the '60s are we talking about? We'd all stopped screaming by 1967, but I'd be happy to reprise my youth if called upon to do so. I think I could probably dig out some of my more ludicrous outfits, too, though I don't especially want to wear them in public.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 30, 2013 07:29

Doesn't matter what anyone here thinks: Jagger would never go for this concept.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 30, 2013 08:22

Aquamarine
Which part of the '60s are we talking about?

That would be another thread in itself. Even if we could agree on a 60s-themed Stones tour, in typical IORR fashion there would be a thread disagreeing over the Satisfaction vs. Gimme Shelter era--in fact there would even be factions rising up in support of single albums versus other albums, because no one could agree ona favorite.

I find myself listening to the earlier albums, the first on up through Aftermath and into '67 with Between The Buttons and some of the singles, though usually stopping short of Satanic Majesties. I like all their albums, to be honest, even right up to A Bigger Bang, but I devote most of my listening time to that vintage early era.

As I'm from the U.S. these would be England's Newest, 12X5, and Now! for the first three albums. I favor the UK version of Aftermath and the UK version of Out Of Our Heads, but it kills me that I can't get the UK versions of their first two albums on CD (Rolling Stones No. 1 and No. 2). I wonder why this is. I've read where you and someone else were discussing those recently. There's an MP3 version available from CD Universe for $9.95, but a CD version (with 8 bonus tracks) is only available as a UK or German import and starting at $45USD and up.sad smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 30, 2013 08:29

I don't have those on CD either, only my original vinyl versions and the US CD versions. I can't imagine why they're not available on CD over here. confused smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 30, 2013 08:32

Opening number 'Blue turns to grey'....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: September 30, 2013 09:23

Great idea:
first part with the full "beggars banquet"
2nd part with "let it bleed"
with 1 or 2 outtakes of these period between the 2 parts. smileys with beer

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 30, 2013 09:38

I'd love it. Between Aftermath, Between The Buttons, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and Their Majesties Satanic Request, along with all the other hits and albums pre-1966, you have an amazing setlist right there. Not many bands can say they can do that with just ONE of their decades (granted its only one of two decades they could do this with). Still a major achievement and I'd love that show.

Date: September 30, 2013 09:45

Only if all of them cut their hair and are wearing the suits Andrew suggested. Heck, bring Andrew back as well...

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 30, 2013 09:55

stonehearted
Why stop at just songs?

Limit the instruments, amps, and sound systems to that period as well, and the ticket prices.

And also only band members from the 60s, and they have to play in the exact tempo as they did back then.....

Also, the audience must arrive attired in vintage threads, only clothes from the 60s.

I think that all sounds pretty good especially the ticket prices bit. If we assume no-one screams these days then they only need to slightly adjust their current set to do this. It would be great to be able to actually see the band in a smaller venue like the liverpool empire or bristol colston hall instead of watching the show on a video screen at the aircraft hangar/stadium.
The sound system doesn't have to be complicated - they're a rock n roll band with one singer. All this multi mic-ed overcompressed far too loud bass drum crap drives me nuts.
Beggars/Bleed and a selection of singles and cool album cuts...great idea...i wouldn't miss anything post-1969 personally. 60s clothes,faster tempos (definitely please) and 60s drugs...ok i'm sold on this. Brian might not be up to it though but there again, he didn't always turn up anyway. Bill back on bass..
i say yes. why not ? I bet it would be brilliant.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 30, 2013 10:13

Carnaby
If Brian were still here, you bet. If only..
Took the words right out of my mouth! thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: September 30, 2013 15:17

Gazza! What do you mean? Can you be any clearer? smiling smiley

Yes, there are plenty of songs from the later albums that
work great in concert that they haven't played in a while.
I Go Wild, Love Is Strong, Mixed Emotions, Lies...not played since the 78 tour, It Wont Take Long, Slave...which might not work so well.........just off the top of my head.

Gazza
Awful concept.

Fine for a package/reunion tour for the likes of The Searchers or The Tremeloes.

Totally pointless for any act who existed beyond that decade, let alone made any decent music after it.

They'd be the biggest joke in the industry if they went down that route.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 30, 2013 17:59

Why? . .and No!

See Gazza . .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 30, 2013 18:26

no way

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 30, 2013 18:33

Great idea!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 30, 2013 18:48

If this thread was a parody of losers who live in the past and go on the internet and post dumb ideas based on that, it would be funny. It's like, if the Onion had a parody of a Stones board, this is the post they would use. Are you @#$%& kidding?

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 30, 2013 18:50

No one is allowed different ideas here. Too bad.

Date: September 30, 2013 19:06

Ladykiller
What do you all think?? When The Rolling Stones would go on the road and perform only songs, which they recorded in the 60s with maybe some unreleased songs from that time.

It would for me such a great concert tour, when it would happen!

I would much rather see them build a tour around Bridges and Satanic.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 30, 2013 19:09

michaelsavage
No one is allowed different ideas here. Too bad.
what do you mean "allowed"?

If the post was removed you would have a point.

You think nobody should be "allowed" to post and say "your post is stupid."

I think it's free speech. Everyone is "allowed" to say what they want.

Typical right-wing logic. Your ideas are as different as they come. You are allowed to have them and i am allowed to say they are stupid. That's how it works.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: September 30, 2013 20:50

Bud is #1 PBR is # 1a RAP is cRAP

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: September 30, 2013 20:54

Raokyfan .. In the name of Free Speech ..... that was a stupid post.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 30, 2013 20:55

Gazza
Awful concept.

Well they did use a lot of leftovers from 60's for the first two albums of the 70's. After that, hmm. grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home