Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: For guitar players here who've used Keith's 5-string tuning:
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 20, 2013 19:47

I don't often use open G to play Stones songs originally in that tuning. "Honky Tonk Women" for example can be transposed to the key of A where one can make use of open strings. "Can't You hear Me Knockin'" can be played passably in standard tuning as well. I do agree though that some tunes when played in their original keys lend themselves much better to open G. "Brown Sugar" for example is one such song I have not been able to nail in standard tuning.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 20, 2013 20:31

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I thought START ME UP might show up on a list (it did) because that's the song that makes me curse my indolence in not rejiggering my guitar. It just doesn't sound right in "regular" tuning. And I can sing it, so I'm depriving myself of two pleasures when bypassing START ME UP when I sit down with my guitar. Maybe this thread will push me to finally retune. (More songs showed up here than I expected.)

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: September 20, 2013 22:32

there are lots of simply tutorials on youtube to get ya rolling in Open G or what have ya

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 20, 2013 22:41

Title5Take1
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I thought START ME UP might show up on a list (it did) because that's the song that makes me curse my indolence in not rejiggering my guitar. It just doesn't sound right in "regular" tuning. And I can sing it, so I'm depriving myself of two pleasures when bypassing START ME UP when I sit down with my guitar. Maybe this thread will push me to finally retune. (More songs showed up here than I expected.)

All you have to do is change the tuning of 2 strings (3 if you actually tune the low E to D which isn't necessary for this song), you don't have to take your guitar to the shop or anything.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 20, 2013 22:47

Title5Take1

Retuning to open G takes about 6 seconds -I don't see what this thread is all about.

Mathijs

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 20, 2013 23:04

Mathijs
Title5Take1

Retuning to open G takes about 6 seconds -I don't see what this thread is all about.

Mathijs

Sounds as though someone may have urinated in your cheerios this morning Mathijs...sorry for that.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 20, 2013 23:07

Mathijs
Title5Take1

Mathijs

Hi Mathijs!

Please see my question in the "Questions about Micawber & Malcolm" thread, maybe you have an answer to my question?

Best!

Jesper

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 21, 2013 00:11

I have my LP Jr tuned to open G. Besides BS and SMU; CYHMK(1st half) and SS are two that I usually always play.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 21, 2013 01:42

Happy

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: September 21, 2013 04:19

For all you lazy tuners.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 21, 2013 10:27

NoCode0680
Title5Take1

All you have to do is change the tuning of 2 strings (3 if you actually tune the low E to D which isn't necessary for this song), you don't have to take your guitar to the shop or anything.

Thanks! Much easier than I imagined. I should have done research before feeling discouraged. START ME UP here I come.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: September 21, 2013 17:25

jazzbass
For all you lazy tuners.

if i see that guitar that escaped , im gonna take it home !

Date: September 21, 2013 17:48

Title5Take1
NoCode0680
Title5Take1

Thanks! Much easier than I imagined. I should have done research before feeling discouraged. START ME UP here I come.

I was the same way. The idea of Open G seemed very daunting for some reason. But I'd used some alternate tunings before, like Drop D or tuning all the strings a half step down (considerably more work than tuning to Open G). But those tunings don't stray far from Standard, one is just a string away and the other is the same as playing in standard except a little lower tone. Open G seemed like such a different way of playing. But once you've messed around with it a little bit you'll notice how simple it is (seriously, it almost feels like cheating) and wonder why you ever resisted.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2013 18:12

It's interesting to notice that, in regards to what got released, GOATS HEAD SOUP, BLACK AND BLUE, SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and TATTOO YOU have very little or no open-G from Keith and just one or two with Mick playing in open-G.

And in terms of their hit songs there aren't that many that are in open G - Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, Happy and Start Me Up are the few I can come up with. I know there were other singles released that featured open G like Love Is Strong and Mixed Emotions but they're not exactly hits...

Date: September 21, 2013 18:18

Is ER the only album after 1969 without any open G from Keith? Only BTMMR on SG. 3 songs on TY. Two on BAB.

Date: September 21, 2013 19:22

GasLightStreet
It's interesting to notice that, in regards to what got released, GOATS HEAD SOUP, BLACK AND BLUE, SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and TATTOO YOU have very little or no open-G from Keith and just one or two with Mick playing in open-G.

And in terms of their hit songs there aren't that many that are in open G - Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, Happy and Start Me Up are the few I can come up with. I know there were other singles released that featured open G like Love Is Strong and Mixed Emotions but they're not exactly hits...

But there's quite a bit of Open G in there, whoever is playing it. Not so much on ER and TY, except Start Me Up. Does Keith play an Open G on She's So Cold? There seem to be several guitars on there, but privettricker had a video where he played it Open G. There's a lot of good Open G on IORR. If You Can't Rock Me, Luxury, Dance Little Sister. Seems like there's some more but maybe that's it. Is there any Open G on GHS? I think Silver Train is, but I don't think there is any on the studio version of Star Star since Taylor is playing rhythm and Keith is doing the Chuck stuff. I usually play the rhythm in Open G though, but I don't know if the Stones do now or not. Used to Ronnie would play it in standard. But IORR/B&B have some good, and not too complicated for a newcomer to Open G like Title5, Open G songs. Like the aforementioned ones on IORR, and then Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama on B&B.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 21, 2013 19:55

Interesting that he used open G for a Berry song (Around & Around on LYL).

Date: September 21, 2013 20:39

71Tele
Interesting that he used open G for a Berry song (Around & Around on LYL).

And he used it for Roll Over Beethoven live in 1970.

Mathijs

Date: September 21, 2013 20:47

DandelionPowderman
Is ER the only album after 1969 without any open G from Keith? Only BTMMR on SG. 3 songs on TY. Two on BAB.

Looks like it!

B&B:

Hand of Fate, Hey Negrita: Keith
Crazy Mama: Mick

Some Girls:

Some Girls: Mick
BTMMR: Keith

Emotional Resque: there is a rhythm guitar that sounds like open G, and I guess its Mick.

Tattoo You:
SMU, Black Limo, Tops: Keith
Heaven: Mick

Mathijs

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 22, 2013 19:27

Someone said above that Keith has use Open-G for Wild Horses...
It's easy to play songs like Brown Sugar and HTW in open-G tuning... all Major chords...

But how would you easily play a minow chord: Am. Am7, Bm, etc?

Date: September 22, 2013 19:30

It's been a day Title5. How you enjoying the world of Open G? Got SMU down yet?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 22, 2013 20:24

duke richardson
Street Fighting Man and Jumpin Jack Flash are lots of fun to play in 5 string open G

its cool for Cant You Hear Me Knockin

Sway is good in it..

I am a long time amateur guitarist (LOL) who has attempted to play Stones tunes. Recently, I picked up a few Stones guitar tab books. One of the books (The Rolling Stones Ultimate Guitar Play-Along published by Alfred publishing) indicates that the studio version of Jack Flash was played in open E tuning, the Rock and Roll Circus version was in standard tuning, and live stage versions beginning in '69 were performed in open G tuning (with a capo on the 4th fret)...

Date: September 22, 2013 20:28

Tha book is correct. thumbs up

Date: September 22, 2013 20:32

schillid
It's easy to play songs like Brown Sugar and HTW in open-G tuning... all Major chords...

Just place your index finger one fret more to the left side.

Mathijs

Date: September 22, 2013 20:40

schillid

Watch Keith during the Stripped video of WH, schillid.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 23, 2013 01:22

Struggle is a "minor" open G song

Date: September 23, 2013 01:25

Redhotcarpet
Struggle is a "minor" open G song

For a long time I thought Keith actually tuned the B-string to open G minor, Carpet, but apparently it's in standard open G...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 11:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 23, 2013 07:28

In standard open G that is. See also some older threads:

[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]

Date: September 23, 2013 08:46

Koen
In standard open G that is. See also some older threads:

[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]

Yep.

If you tune to open G minor it's fun to play, though.

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: September 23, 2013 16:43

Little T&A original studio version is a combo of standard tuning and open G.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home