Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: For guitar players here who've used Keith's 5-string tuning:
Date: September 23, 2013 16:49

JC21769
Little T&A original studio version is a combo of standard tuning and open G.

No it isn't, although Keith is playing the second guitar riffs as he would do with an open G, only with fewer strings.

Date: September 23, 2013 17:02

schillid
Someone said above that Keith has use Open-G for Wild Horses...
It's easy to play songs like Brown Sugar and HTW in open-G tuning... all Major chords...

But how would you easily play a minow chord: Am. Am7, Bm, etc?

Here's Keith doing an A minor chord on Wild Horses. For B minor, hold the same formation two frets up. That B minor, using three fingers, is indeed a beautiful chord.

If you use that chord up at the 9th fret, you get the E minor Keith is playing in Before They Make Me Run.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 23, 2013 17:20

For Wild Horses the chord that he plays in open G is like a regular Am, except you need to fret the A string at the 2nd fret, so what I do is play a regular Am chord but use my pinky to fret the low G string (A string in standard tuning). I let the open high D string (1st string) ring, which gives it a nice sound (the D is a suspended 4th against an Am). For the Bm, just move up two frets.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 23, 2013 17:33

if he would just film some lessons and put 'em up on his website..

"hi folks, and welcome to the voodoo lounge..

class is in session so lets get on with the lesson.."

grinning smiley

Date: September 23, 2013 17:46

71Tele
For Wild Horses the chord that he plays in open G is like a regular Am, except you need to fret the A string at the 2nd fret, so what I do is play a regular Am chord but use my pinky to fret the low G string (A string in standard tuning). I let the open high D string (1st string) ring, which gives it a nice sound (the D is a suspended 4th against an Am). For the Bm, just move up two frets.

I always avoid fretting the g string with these chords, especially on b and e minor. It gives them a unique sound, like the b minor Keith plays in WH.

By fretting the G-string in A minor, you'll get a chord that is more similar to A minor in standard tuning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-24 12:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: KeefRichards88 ()
Date: September 24, 2013 03:42

Does anyone know how to play an E minor in open G, If that is at all possible?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 24, 2013 04:56

KeefRichards88

If you figure it out, let me know!

Seriously what I do is put my index finger on the 7th fret of the A string, bend my hand, then put my ring finger on the 9th fret of the same string, the pinky on the 9th fret of the D string, and my 3rd finger on the 8th fret of the B string. If you bend your hand you let the G string ring without muting it. Voila! A 4-note Em.

Yes, the index finger on the 7th fret is completely unnecessary, but it enables you to make a sort of barre chord and is more easily moveable with the other open G voicings.

Date: September 24, 2013 09:37

KeefRichards88

There are two ways:

- Do as I said above. Keep the normal A minor formation, but move it to the 9th fret (long and ring finger on the A and D-strings, your index finger on the B-string on the 8th fret.

- Use your index finger as a barre chord on the 9th fret. Use your ring finger or pinky to cover the three (sometimes four) lightest strings on the 12th fret. If you strum all the strings you'll get the E minor 7. If you avoid the lightest string you'll get a E minor chord.

EDIT: There is also a third way:
- A hybrid e minor chord: Place your ring finger on the A string on the 4th fret, and place your index finger on the D string on the 2nd fret. When strumming all the strings you'll get something similar to e minor 7. When riffing, just strum a few of the strings. It sounds way darker than the other chords, and it's cool to use in riffs when you're down there on the fretboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-24 09:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 24, 2013 11:27

Keith in the process of doing a E minor on open G, London Nov 25 2012:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-24 11:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 24, 2013 12:45

If you're serious about getting into open G it's a huge help if you're able to keep a guitar tuned that way all the time.

It then soon becomes second nature and, in a liitle time, just as instinctive as standard tuning.

Date: September 24, 2013 13:20

Spud
If you're serious about getting into open G it's a huge help if you're able to keep a guitar tuned that way all the time.

It then soon becomes second nature and, in a liitle time, just as instinctive as standard tuning.

thumbs up

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 24, 2013 16:29

For the lucky series Who Gives a F..., recently I'm trying my best to get into Robert Johnson's style (I even bought a tab book that is quite well done). In any case, one of the first I tried out was, guess? Love in Vain (that actually is in open A, but it's the same).

Only then I noticed that not once Robert's open G/A (great) fingerings or licks appear in a RS song (and we know that Keith can play RJ quite well).

Surprising, if you think how much Kith was into RJ!

C

Date: September 24, 2013 16:32

liddas
For the lucky series Who Gives a F..., recently I'm trying my best to get into Robert Johnson's style (I even bought a tab book that is quite well done). In any case, one of the first I tried out was, guess? Love in Vain (that actually is in open A, but it's the same).

Only then I noticed that not once Robert's open G/A (great) fingerings or licks appear in a RS song (and we know that Keith can play RJ quite well).

Surprising, if you think how much Kith was into RJ!

C

My guess is that quite a few of Keith's songs started with that RJ-rhythm, based on many of his licks smiling smiley

Date: September 24, 2013 16:38

Youtube is blocked here, so I don't know what example you are showing me.

But on top of my head I can't think of a single RJ trademark fingering or lick in a stones song.

C

Date: September 24, 2013 16:39

liddas

But on top of my head I can't think of a single RJ trademark fingering or lick in a stones song.

C

Some People Tell Me (aka Keep Up Blues) smiling smiley

Date: September 24, 2013 16:45

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

Well, if you include unreleased stuff, there is something here and there. In particular on the Voodoo brew/stew boot. But it never translated to a stones song.

C

Date: September 24, 2013 16:49

liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

Well, if you include unreleased stuff, there is something here and there. In particular on the Voodoo brew/stew boot. But it never translated to a stones song.

C

It is released on Some Girls deLuxe, but I know what you mean smiling smiley

There are some Keith-licks on Love In Vain from the Live In Texas album as well - in the spirit of RJ.

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: September 24, 2013 16:51

KR plays one guitar in open G. One in standard. just listen to song and try to play it. It sounds like the open G was an verdub to fill out the sound and add some punch.

Date: September 24, 2013 17:01

JC21769
KR plays one guitar in open G. One in standard. just listen to song and try to play it. It sounds like the open G was an verdub to fill out the sound and add some punch.

Which song are you talking about??

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 24, 2013 17:30

little T&A ?

Date: September 24, 2013 17:55

Too few strings involved in those riffs to be open G on T&A.

Date: September 24, 2013 18:03

DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

C

It is released on Some Girls deLuxe, but I know what you mean smiling smiley

There are some Keith-licks on Love In Vain from the Live In Texas album as well - in the spirit of RJ.

Ouch ... sooner or later I will have to give a second listen to those deluxe releases ... or at least learn the titles by heart so I can pretend I know the songs ...

In any case, I truly love RJ's wonderful voicings on the original LIV.

C

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 24, 2013 18:55

liddas
sooner or later I will have to give a second listen to those deluxe releases ... or at least learn the titles by heart so I can pretend I know the songs ...

C

You should definately spend some time with the SG "Bonus material" .

Irrespective of how well it stands up as an album or how much you like it...

...much of it certainly represents the band reverting to their roots and enjoying it.

Date: September 24, 2013 20:00

Spud
liddas
sooner or later I will have to give a second listen to those deluxe releases ... or at least learn the titles by heart so I can pretend I know the songs ...

C

You should definately spend some time with the SG "Bonus material" .

Irrespective of how well it stands up as an album or how much you like it...

...much of it certainly represents the band reverting to their roots and enjoying it.

The untouched songs are great. But I already had them in excellent quality boots.

I just can't get used to the new vocals on old music. Maybe it is because I have listened to the SG outtakes so much in my life that I am not ready to accept the novelty. In fact, the only two "new/old" songs I like are Plundered and River that were not available before.

C

Posted by: KeefRichards88 ()
Date: September 24, 2013 20:36

Thanks for all the E Minor help, My band has written a lot of song chords in E minor and I play in open G tuning all the time.

Date: September 24, 2013 20:46

Anytime, mate.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 2, 2014 23:03

I only just this week finally got around to retuning my electric to open G for the first time, mostly to play START ME UP...and it's heaven compared to playing it in standard tuning. It's just great. Some of the posters above helped push me to do it. I still procrastinated. But thanks. Now I gotta get back to my guitar....

Date: March 2, 2014 23:22

You can do Jack Flash in standard. Sounds fine to me. In fact, I prefer to play that one in standard.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 2, 2014 23:23

KeefRichards88

Yeah! It's easy. Watch the Struggle video from SNL. Keith also does it in Mixed Emotions.

Posted by: SJ9336JE ()
Date: August 20, 2015 00:21

T&A is pure standard tuning, you can't play that riffs in Open G

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home