Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Billy P. and Mick T. live in 1973
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 19, 2013 19:34

Billy Preston and his band plus Mick Taylor were the main support act during the Rolling Stones 1973 Tour. Those who attended one of those gigs will very probably appreciate this video, but also people who weren't there might like it.
Great music in my opinion.

Info:

Released: 1974/2008
Running time: 80:28
Specials: Contains European & US version on 1 disc; 24-bit remasterd in 2008, original vinyl replica

Live European Tour is the first live album by Billy Preston, released in 1974 in Europe & Japan. It was recorded during his opening act stint for The Rolling Stones 1973 European Tour, featuring Mick Taylor on lead guitar and Preston's own band "The God Squad". In 2003, A&M Records released this album in Japan, featuring alternative song takes. This SHM-disc contains both versions in great quality!

Allmusic.com rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Review by Bruce Eder

In the mid-'70s, A&M Records began releasing live albums by many of its key rock artists (Peter Frampton, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Flying Burrito Brothers, etc.). Billy Preston's, recorded along his 1973 European tour with a band that included Mick Taylor -- moonlighting from the Rolling Stones (from whose lineup he was soon to be liberated) -- might be the most impressive of them all, capturing a funky, soulful, soaring, and overall spellbinding performance that embraced just about every side of his work. Preston's rendition of "Let It Be" is the only one this reviewer has ever heard that could challenge the original on its own ground, and Preston also turns in killer renditions of his own hits "Will It Go Round in Circles" and "That's the Way God Planned It," a gorgeous organ instrumental version of "Amazing Grace," and a scintillating performance of "Let's Go Get Stoned" (where he gives a loving homage to Ray Charles). The obligatory "Space Race" and "Outa-Space" are also present, the latter expanded into an eight-minute jam that leaves it not too recognizable but still a fair amount of fun as a finale. The sound is excellent

Track listing:

US Version:
1. "Day Tripper" (John Lennon & Paul McCartney) –2:07
2. "The Bus" (Billy Preston/Joe Greene) –10:58
3. "Let It Be" (John Lennon & Paul McCartney) –2:28
4. "Will It Go Round In Circles2 (Billy Preston/Bruce Fisher) –3:44
5. "Let's Go Get Stoned" (Simpson/Ashford/Armstead) –1:36
6. "Space Race" (Billy Preston) –1:57
7. "Amazing Grace" (Traditional, arr. Billy Preston) –4:43
8. "That's The Way God Planned It" (Billy Preston) –4:05
9. "Outa-Space/Higher" (Billy Preston/Joe Greene) –8:05
UK Version:
10. "Day Tripper" (John Lennon & Paul McCartney) - 2:05
11. "The Bus" (Billy Preston & Joe Greene) - 10:31
12. "Let It Be" (John Lennon & Paul McCartney) - 2:32
13. "Let's Go Get Stoned" (Simpson/Ashford/Armstead) - 1:12
14. "Billy's Bag" (Billy Preston) - 3:19
15. "Will It Go Round In Circles" (Billy Preston & Bruce Fisher) - 3:58
16. "Outa-Space" (Billy Preston & Joe Greene) - 3:55
17 "Higher" (Vamp) - 6:58
18. "Get Back" (John Lennon & Paul McCartney) - 5:18
19. Higher (encore)

Personnel:

* Billy Preston: All keyboards, melodica, lead vocals.
* Mick Taylor: Guitars, backing vocals.
* Hubert Heard: Keyboards.
* Kenneth Lupper: Keyboards.
* Manuel Kellough: Drums, percussion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-24 20:01 by kleermaker.

Re: Billy and Mick live in 1973
Posted by: muenke ()
Date: September 19, 2013 21:45

Kleermarker, thank you very much for this One, I really like your work on youtube, bedankt!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 19, 2013 22:19

Kracker supported the Stones for the Wembley shows, kleer.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 19, 2013 23:21

Thanks for posting! I knew the album existed but never listened to it before.

Billy Preston was a very accomplished musician and a good singer but everything I've heard from him was kind of mediocre, including this. Too much show, too little substance. Preston could have had more dynamics, better songs and fewer jams. His rhythm section here is surprisingly unfunky, kind of sounding like the Stones' coked-up closing number on every number.

That said, it's interesting and funny to hear that instantly recognizable Brussels '73 guitar sound from Mick Taylor in a non-Stones context. He plays very solid here, but I think the Stones set gets much more out of his abilities.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-19 23:24 by LieB.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 20, 2013 00:28

Great sound and it sounds like it would have been a real party, live.

Billy Preston, The Flaming Lips, Beck, Sharon Jones, James Brown, partly Prince, and it could go back to Louis Armstrong and a whole diverse set of live acts (if this list isn't diverse enough!) are/were all better seen live than just heard. They put passion and heart and fun into their show. Not trying to recreate their records note for note, but more like being masters of ceremony at a party, with a few thousand friends invited. I love it.

Very cool that Mick Taylor joined on guitar. LOL maybe we can get a Faces/Stones double bill with Woody doing both sets, and Mac joining the Stones on keyboards.

Date: September 20, 2013 01:44

Silver Dagger

Also in Rotterdam Silver, but Billy and his band were there too. Weren't they in the Wembley shows? I remember a pic with Mick Taylor wearing a white 'Afro'-wig and found it in another Iorr-thread:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 20, 2013 11:42

kleermaker
Billy Preston and his band plus Mick Taylor were the main support act during the Rolling Stones 1973 Tour. Those who attended one of those gigs will very probably appreciate this video, but also people who weren't there might like it.

This is not correct as far as I know. Kracker was the main opening act on all shows, and Preston on about half of the shows -it actually still is uncertain on which shows exactly.

It is also unknown on how many shows Taylor joined Preston, but he most probably only played with Preston during the Essen shows for the recording of the live album.

On the extended live album Taylor is on half of the tracks, most of the new ones do not feature a guitarist.

Although Taylor sometimes sounds great on the Preston album, he also sounds like he isn't too sure about the songs, like he didn't really rehearse them a lot.

Mathijs

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: September 20, 2013 12:04

Mathijs
It is also unknown on how many shows Taylor joined Preston, but he most probably only played with Preston during the Essen shows for the recording of the live album.
Mathijs

His guitar is audible for the Rotterdam shows.

Date: September 20, 2013 16:29

Mathijs
kleermaker

This is not correct as far as I know. Kracker was the main opening act on all shows, and Preston on about half of the shows -it actually still is uncertain on which shows exactly.

On the extended live album Taylor is on half of the tracks, most of the new ones do not feature a guitarist.

Although Taylor sometimes sounds great on the Preston album, he also sounds like he isn't too sure about the songs, like he didn't really rehearse them a lot.

Mathijs

On this vid (album) Taylor is on almost all songs/tracks. Really great interplay with Billy Preston. Wonderful how they build up a real musical party. A treat for the ears.

Preston/Taylor was a regular support act during the Rolling Stones European Tour 1973:

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Quote from Nico Zentgraf:

"1st September - 19th October: BILLY PRESTON. European Tour.
Line-up: MT (gtr)/Billy Preston (voc, keyb)/Manuel Kellough (dr)/Huby Heard
(keyb)/Kenny Lupper (keyb)
Note: Supporting act for The Rolling Stones."

Besides I heard them myself in Rotterdam.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: September 20, 2013 16:30

Thanks kleermaker. I vow to listen to this at home over the weekend. Can't do it here at work! I read somewhere that MT really enjoyed playing with Billy on this tour.

Date: September 20, 2013 18:42

Bellajane
Thanks kleermaker. I vow to listen to this at home over the weekend. Can't do it here at work! I read somewhere that MT really enjoyed playing with Billy on this tour.

Well, enjoy! I advice listening to it with good ear phones. You can indeed hear MT had fun with Billy and his band.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: September 20, 2013 19:02

kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

On this vid (album) Taylor is on almost all songs/tracks. Really great interplay with Billy Preston. Wonderful how they build up a real musical party. A treat for the ears.

Preston/Taylor was a regular support act during the Rolling Stones European Tour 1973:

[www.nzentgraf.de]

maybe they got lost in peek en cloppenburg !

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: September 20, 2013 19:12

kleermaker
Bellajane

Well, enjoy! I advice listening to it with good ear phones. You can indeed hear MT had fun with Billy and his band.

I will take your advice. It's good to hear Little Mick having some fun!smiling smiley

Date: September 20, 2013 19:36

straycatblues73
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

[www.nzentgraf.de]

maybe they got lost in peek en cloppenburg !

According to Matthijs Peek en Cloppenburg in Essen. grinning smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 20, 2013 19:41

Wow! I never payed toon much attention to that 'odd' fact that Mick Taylor was supporting their support act during 1973 tour. But now listening to it, all I can say what a huge instrument animal this - what, 24 years old? - kid was then. Playing with Preston first, and then with the Stones in some of their hottest gigs ever... Incredible! One can understand how pissed Mick, Keith et all were when he decided to quit. Funny to think that one of the explanations of Taylor's "over-playing" during that tour was that he was bored or frustrated... Still playing his heart out with Preston many nights before the main show....eye popping smiley

Yeah, Taylor was one of his kind, an incredible musician, as this clip shows - thanks Kleerie! - as a support act he is actually contributing to the very stuff, and giving to it his own distinguished mark. Sometimes a bit more off the mark, sometimes closer, but god damn strong musicianship all the time. Kids, don't try that at home - get some hottest American black musicians of the day on the stage, and go and do your shit there convincingly, with no much rehearsal, never losing your own style...

The Woodists here, of course, have their microscopes on, and try to find something to complain in Taylor's contribution, but shit, they don't understand no shit...grinning smiley

That Taylor guy was a son of gun, indeed (like everyone who actually played with him would say)...thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-20 20:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: September 20, 2013 20:22

Silver Dagger

Weren't Kracker on the whole tour? Didn't they release a record on Rolling Stones records.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 20, 2013 20:58

Hey all,
Is there anyway to rip the audio of this and add it to ITunes?

Date: September 20, 2013 21:01

kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

[www.nzentgraf.de]

I know Zentgraf lists Preston as opener for all shows, but I really doubt that actually happened, as well as there are reports Taylor was asked to do some shows with Preston specifically for the live album.

Did Preston and Taylor open in Rotterdam for example? The printed reviews from the day say only Cracker opened, and just about nobody I know who was there remembers Preston opening, let alone with Taylor. They only remember Cracker AND loud psychedelic music (as well as Keith Richards with his new German vamp on his arm watching Cracker while nodding off).

Mathijs

Date: September 20, 2013 22:17

Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

[www.nzentgraf.de]

I know Zentgraf lists Preston as opener for all shows, but I really doubt that actually happened, as well as there are reports Taylor was asked to do some shows with Preston specifically for the live album.

Did Preston and Taylor open in Rotterdam for example? The printed reviews from the day say only Cracker opened, and just about nobody I know who was there remembers Preston opening, let alone with Taylor. They only remember Cracker AND loud psychedelic music (as well as Keith Richards with his new German vamp on his arm watching Cracker while nodding off).

Mathijs

I'm sure Kracker wasn't the only supporting act in Rotterdam Oct. 1973. According to this so called Rolling Stones October Diary article Preston played before all three Rolling Stones shows in October 73, though they mix things (Preston and Kracker) up and the ticket says the same!

[www.vandaagindemuziek.nl]

see the ticket here: [www.kelderke-sittard.com]

In any case the name of the band was Kracker and it wasn't Billy Preston's band:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Finally a last recource, that says Preston and Taylor were supporting act for the 1973 European Stones Tour. That seems to me reliable enough:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Quote from eng. wikipedia:

"After working with the Beatles, Preston played keyboards (including piano, organ, clavinet, and various synthesizers) for The Rolling Stones alongside pianists Nicky Hopkins and Ian Stewart on Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock'n Roll and Black and Blue. As the band's primary touring keyboardist from 1973 to 1976, he also performed as a support act with his own band (including Mick Taylor on guitar) on their 1973 European Tour; a Munich performance was documented his live album Live European Tour 1973."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-20 22:43 by kleermaker.

Date: September 20, 2013 22:39

kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Mathijs

I'm sure Kracker wasn't the only supporting act in Rotterdam Oct. 1973. According to this so called Rolling Stones October Diary article Preston played before all three Rolling Stones shows in October 73, though they mix things (Preston and Kracker) up and the ticket says the same!

In any case the name of the band was Kracker and it wasn't Billy Preston's band:

[en.wikipedia.org]

By all events the 'Billy Preston And His Krackers' on the ticket means nothing. It was the band Kracker, and Preston's 'Gods Squad'.

Most important: YOU have stated about a million times that seeing Taylor with the Stones in 1973 was a live changing event, but still you NEVER mentioned seeing Taylor with Preston opening for the Stones, nor do you seem to recall it now.

I don't blame you, as nobody I know remembers Preston, let alone Taylor. Some tickets of the tour mention Preston as being 'a guest' from the 'USA', some tickets mention Kracker as opening act, most mention nothing at all.

Mathijs

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 20, 2013 23:25

Kracker was terrible. But they had an album out on RS Records. Preston was on all 73 shows I'd seen.
Always thought he did the whole tour.Preston was very well received on all dates. Some liked it better than the Stones.
Same happened that year with the Who and Golden Earring . .

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: September 20, 2013 23:29

Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Mathijs

[en.wikipedia.org]

By all events the 'Billy Preston And His Krackers' on the ticket means nothing. It was the band Kracker, and Preston's 'Gods Squad'.

Most important: YOU have stated about a million times that seeing Taylor with the Stones in 1973 was a live changing event, but still you NEVER mentioned seeing Taylor with Preston opening for the Stones, nor do you seem to recall it now.

I don't blame you, as nobody I know remembers Preston, let alone Taylor. Some tickets of the tour mention Preston as being 'a guest' from the 'USA', some tickets mention Kracker as opening act, most mention nothing at all.

Mathijs

You cannot know cause you were only a little kid then.

Zentgraf is right. Besides I was there too - Rotterdam '73, Taylor played with Preston. They played the roof off.

Date: September 20, 2013 23:42

svt22
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Mathijs

[en.wikipedia.org]

Mathijs

You cannot know cause you were only a little kid then.

Zentgraf is right. Besides I was there too - Rotterdam '73, Taylor played with Preston. They played the roof off.

That's what I remember too svt, but i'm old smiling smiley

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: September 21, 2013 00:29

So for the dates where the Stones played twice on one day....did Preston and MT play 4 gigs in one day? :-)
That would be impressive..

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: September 21, 2013 00:34

MT sounds AMAZING on this show! wow.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: September 21, 2013 00:36

Taylor had that typical '73 sound. Quite an effort he played both Preston and Stones gigs, and adding that great sound to both bands.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: September 21, 2013 01:02

Nick Kent's discussion of the Berlin show in NME mentions Taylor playing with Preston and wearing the Afro wig ("I think it comes from Selfridges.)

Date: September 21, 2013 03:14

champ72
So for the dates where the Stones played twice on one day....did Preston and MT play 4 gigs in one day? :-)
That would be impressive..

Those gigs didn't last long in those days. Preston about 40 minutes, the Stones about 75 minutes. And they were young too!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 21, 2013 16:52

Here is Bob and Mick live in 1984. A great version of a great song, which should please the fans of both of them. At least I was delighted when accidently run on it.

- Doxa

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 21, 2013 17:15

Mick Taylor fits so much better with this band.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home