Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Billy and Mick live in 1973
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 23, 2013 23:58

smokeydusky
LieB
Also, if you have any pointers as to where one can find that Central Park bootleg, don't hesitate to tell us. smiling smiley

When was this gig? Does Taylor really play here?

Mathijs

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 24, 2013 00:07

Mathijs

Mathijs

Yeah, I just found that show on youtube. I listened to several songs and I think they're better than the ones on the '73 album, but there's no sign of Taylor anywhere as far as I'm concerned. Very little guitar playing at all. In this song, for example, you can hear a wah-wah guitar around 4:00 which I'm pretty sure ain't Mick T:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-24 00:07 by LieB.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: September 24, 2013 00:13

LieB

Yeah, I just found that show on youtube. I listened to several songs and I think they're better than the ones on the '73 album, but there's no sign of Taylor anywhere as far as I'm concerned. Very little guitar playing at all. In this song, for example, you can hear a wah-wah guitar around 4:00 which I'm pretty sure ain't Mick T:

That's not Taylor by a mile. Mick had a different feel and sound, brought more soul and space to the music than this guitarist when (Taylor) played with Preston in Europe / Rotterdam '73.

Posted by: Winston1111 ()
Date: September 24, 2013 01:44

I suppose it is entirely possible that Mick Taylor is not on the Central Park recording. The bootleg was sent to me by a friend who had found the torrent somewhere online and burned a CD for me. But the liner notes that my friend printed for me listed Mick Taylor on guitar and even include a picture of him with Billy. Maybe he was listed in error?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 24, 2013 01:44

RoughJusticeOnYa
Let's agree on something, here -

"Mick" in a Stones context = Mick JAGGER.

Your favorite guitar man = "Taylor", "Mick Taylor", "Mick T.", or however you'd like to call him -
just NOT plain "Mick".

I agree 100% with this.

In any discussion of rock n' roll, Mick pretty much OWNS the name, and if you're talking about someone else you better specify which "Mick" you mean.

Like when you say, "Elvis"--the default goes to Presley. If you mean Costello, then you better start the topic by saying, "Elvis Costello."

Date: September 24, 2013 01:55

Winston1111
I suppose it is entirely possible that Mick Taylor is not on the Central Park recording. The bootleg was sent to me by a friend who had found the torrent somewhere online and burned a CD for me. But the liner notes that my friend printed for me listed Mick Taylor on guitar and even include a picture of him with Billy. Maybe he was listed in error?

Possible. He sounds a bit castrated here, although the funky part is quite ok. Never heard him play rhythm like that.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: September 24, 2013 03:50

Does anyone know how to rip this youtube clip to my hard drive as an audio file?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: September 24, 2013 03:58

For Brussels 1 (afternoon show), MT was on stage with Billy, wearing a wig.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: September 24, 2013 04:25

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-24 11:30 by smokeydusky.

Date: September 24, 2013 04:31

smokeydusky
Winston1111
include a picture of him with Billy

I believe the picture is from Europe.

The Rainbow Room concert is known and should contain Taylor at least for the two Jagger songs, if not more.

Date: September 24, 2013 11:08

LieB
Mathijs

Mathijs

That's not Taylor, it sounds like the guitarist on the Soul! show.

Mathijs

Date: September 24, 2013 11:10

marclaff
For Brussels 1 (afternoon show), MT was on stage with Billy, wearing a wig.

Are your sure? Where you there?

Mathijs

Date: September 24, 2013 14:18

I can't hear Taylor on the Gotherburg tapes, only a wah wah-clavinet...

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 24, 2013 15:32

I remember watching preston opening up for the stones at birmingham odeon in 73, i cant recall mick taylor being on stage, i was there for the evening show.

I have always said that billy was one of the best opening acts i have seen for the stones and got a great reception at the end of his set.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 24, 2013 16:49

MILKYWAY
Does anyone know how to rip this youtube clip to my hard drive as an audio file?

There's loads (check Google: "youtiube to mp3 audio rip" ) of easy to handle, free software around - this one works fine for me: dvdvideosoft

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 24, 2013 16:58

loog droog
RoughJusticeOnYa
Let's agree on something, here -

"Mick" in a Stones context = Mick JAGGER.

Your favorite guitar man = "Taylor", "Mick Taylor", "Mick T.", or however you'd like to call him -
just NOT plain "Mick".

I agree 100% with this.

In any discussion of rock n' roll, Mick pretty much OWNS the name, and if you're talking about someone else you better specify which "Mick" you mean.

Like when you say, "Elvis"--the default goes to Presley. If you mean Costello, then you better start the topic by saying, "Elvis Costello."

thumbs up

And to Kleermaker: thanx for adjusting the thread title!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 24, 2013 18:21

buffalo7478
Very cool that Mick Taylor joined on guitar. LOL maybe we can get a Faces/Stones double bill with Woody doing both sets, and Mac joining the Stones on keyboards.
I like this idea!

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: September 24, 2013 22:07

RoughJusticeOnYa
There's loads (check Google: "youtiube to mp3 audio rip" ) of easy to handle, free software around - this one works fine for me: dvdvideosoft

Thanks, RoughJustice. I was looking to see if someone had a specific recommendation. Many of those "free conversion" sites put dozens of spyware and malware programs on one's hard drive.

I will check out dvdvideosoft.

Re: Billy P. and Mick T. live in 1973
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 24, 2013 22:36

I got the following from a very kind person:

"MICK TAYLOR with BILLY PRESTON
MP3 SOURCE
ROTTERDAM, 1973 OCTOBER 13, 14 (first and second show)

CD 1

October 13, 1973
1. The Bus/Dance to the Music
2. Let It Be/Let’s Go Get Stoned
3. Will It Go Round In Circles
4. That’s The Way God Planned It
5. Outta Space/Higher
6. Get Back/Higher

October 14, 1973, 1st Show
7. The Bus/Dance to the Music
8. Let It Be/Let’s Go Get Stoned
9. Will It Go Round In Circles
10. That’s the Way God Planned It

CD 2

October 14, 1973, 2nd show
2. Let It Be/Let’s Get Stoned
4. That’s the Way God Planned It
5. Outta Space/Higher"

I've just checked all three Let It Be performances and they are all different from each other and also different from the US and UK versions of the Live European Tour 193 with Preston and Taylor. So there's absolute proof that Taylor joined Preston at least 5 times during the Stones' European 1973 tour and probably more than 5 times. Of course there's no absolute proof that these three performances are from Rotterdam, but I have no reason to doubt that at all.

The sound quality of these recordings is very poor, but Taylor is clearly and unmistakably audible. I'll upload them to YouTube.

Date: September 24, 2013 23:14

October 13, 1973
1. The Bus/Dance to the Music: very, very clear Taylor. You can hear Dutch people speaking.
2. Let It Be/Let’s Go Get Stoned: : Preston starts with a bit of Mozart, a guitar is tuning up. Then the full intro, and at 1:03 some beautiful lead lines from Taylor rises, which continue throughout the song. Taylor’s playing is stunning.
3. Will It Go Round In Circles: clear Taylor starting at the 1:43 mark
4. That’s The Way God Planned It: guitar not very clear until 1:48. At 2:53 Taylor can be recognized clearly.
5. Outta Space/Higher: Guitar tuning up. The assault of Hohner piano for ‘Outta Space’ drowns everything. ‘Higher’ has a clear Taylor again.
6. Get Back/Higher: Before ‘Get Back’ there are Dutch people speaking again, so it is from Rotterdam for sure. I don’t hear guitar on ‘Get Back’, nor on ‘Higher’.

7. The Bus/Dance to the Music: Taylor can be heard clearly in the background.
8. Let It Be/Let’s Go Get Stoned: no classical intro, the piano intro seems cut. At 0:40 the chorus starts, the point at 1:03 where Taylor started to solo the day before. Now: no solo at all. At 1:08 Taylor did come in with a solo the night before, now Preston does a piano solo. At 1:58 a short Taylor solo. It seems the piano is drowning out Taylor on this recording.
9. Will It Go Round In Circles: I don’t hear any guitar.
10. That’s the Way God Planned It: No guitar.

CD 2

1. The Bus/Dance to the Music: clear Taylor.
2. Let It Be/Let’s Get Stoned: hints of guitar here and there, and it seems to be Taylor.
3. Will It Go Round In Circles: I don’t hear any guitar
4. That’s the Way God Planned It: clear Taylor in the end
5. Outta Space/Higher: I don’t hear guitar.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-25 00:41 by Mathijs.

Date: September 25, 2013 00:08

kleermaker
I got the following from a very kind person:

"MICK TAYLOR with BILLY PRESTON
MP3 SOURCE
ROTTERDAM, 1973 OCTOBER 13, 14 (first and second show)

CD 1

October 13, 1973
2. Let It Be/Let’s Go Get Stoned
4. That’s The Way God Planned It
5. Outta Space/Higher
6. Get Back/Higher

7. The Bus/Dance to the Music
8. Let It Be/Let’s Go Get Stoned
9. Will It Go Round In Circles
10. That’s the Way God Planned It

CD 2

2. Let It Be/Let’s Get Stoned
4. That’s the Way God Planned It
5. Outta Space/Higher"

I've just checked all three Let It Be performances and they are all different from each other and also different from the US and UK versions of the Live European Tour 193 with Preston and Taylor. So there's absolute proof that Taylor joined Preston at least 5 times during the Stones' European 1973 tour and probably more than 5 times. Of course there's no absolute proof that these three performances are from Rotterdam, but I have no reason to doubt that at all.

The sound quality of these recordings is very poor, but Taylor is clearly and unmistakably audible. I'll upload them to YouTube.

Thanks for your input Kleer, very much appreciated. Cannot wait for the upload. For a moment I thought I suffer from long-term memory loss winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 25, 2013 00:33

Mathijs

Why the edit? grinning smiley

Date: September 25, 2013 00:42

His Majesty
Mathijs

Why the edit? grinning smiley

Cause I changed headphones and started listening again! See above.

Mathijs

Date: September 25, 2013 01:07

A very nice listen indeed. Thanks, Mathijs for the files!

No Taylor in Gothenburg, obviously?

Date: September 25, 2013 01:46

svt22
kleermaker

Thanks for your input Kleer, very much appreciated. Cannot wait for the upload. For a moment I thought I suffer from long-term memory loss winking smiley

Good news for you svt! But how about your short term memory, that's much more important. winking smiley

Date: September 25, 2013 04:01

kleermaker

Thank you, Kleermaker.

To all:
Kleermaker's files are hi gen sources converted into mp3.
If anyone has better sources, please consider sharing them here
or making them available.
Obviously, these shows have not been broadly circulated.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 25, 2013 14:36

Scuze my ignorance, but where do I find kleermaker's files?

Date: September 25, 2013 15:05

LieB
Scuze my ignorance, but where do I find kleermaker's files?

I'll upload them to YouTube and post the link to the vid here.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: September 25, 2013 16:05

Just ordered this awesome show (SHM-CD) from japan, it´s a "must have" for Taylorfans IMO! Thanks again Kleermarker ....

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 25, 2013 16:31

MILKYWAY

I use: www.youtube-mp3.org

Can't guarantee a lack of spy/malware but the site was recommended by a friend who is an IT Tech and I haven't noticed any problems on my computer in the 6 months I've been using the site. If anyone knows any different about the site I'd love to know just to spread the word and protect myself in the future.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Edit: For what it's worth, I just did a search to see if there were any warnings regarding the above conversion site. Found multiple sites with positive reviews and none mentioned any problems with viruses or spy/malware. I still can't guarantee that there aren't any but I will say that I'm going to keep using the site as it's VERY easy to use and apparently it's safe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-25 16:42 by mr_dja.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2327
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home