Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Billy and Mick live in 1973
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 21, 2013 18:09

Let's agree on something, here -

"Mick" in a Stones context = Mick JAGGER.

Your favorite guitar man = "Taylor", "Mick Taylor", "Mick T.", or however you'd like to call him -
just NOT plain "Mick".

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 21, 2013 19:04

Which one?
Great players can play in any band..I love the stinging guitar..

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 21, 2013 19:06

MT fits in with the funk listen to his guitar lines on the BUS medley and it was mentioned that he rarely practiced well why bother if he could play like that he threw away his bluesy stonesy licks and did not overplay as many of the songs had starts and stops as Billy lead the way.play that funk boy

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: September 21, 2013 19:51

It's a different style than the Stones in spots, more of a Memphis/Muscle Shoals style. So much for people who think he always sounded the same. He also didn't overplay on these sets, sometimes not playing at all. He was at the level of the big three '60s guitariststhat are always mentioned, too bad he never established the type of career he could have had.

I can see why he felt confined by the Stones, but this shows that he should have tried harder to find other quality bands to play with on a regular basis. There was Dylan, this limited Preston run, and not much else. A solo career doesn't really suit the type of guitarist that he is. You can say the same about Jeff Beck, whom I've never seen solo in spite of my admiration for his playing, though I am seeing Jeff next month, strictly because he's playing with Brian Wilson.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 21, 2013 21:09

I don't believe it until we have proof. First there's no proof Preston opened on each and every show -it was Kracker doing all shows, and Preston about half. Than, the only proof to date on which shows Taylor joined Preston is the fact that he joined in Essen, for the recording of the live album. He donned a huge wig for at least one show in order not to be recognised, but there's also a picture of Taylor with preston without the wig -but the clothes are the same.

I would find it very weird Jagger would have allowed Taylor to do all openers with Preston, especially when the Stones played two shows a day. Then, Taylor's playing on the live album sounds impromptu, and certainly not like you would expect after a full month of touring.

Preston toured late 1972 and early 1973 with his God Squad band, which basically was a loud double wurly and piano attack. Many shows did not feature a guitarist, some shows did feature a rhytyhm guitarist playing simple rythm chops. The shows where all about Billy and his organ. Pun intended.

Last: it is quite amazing that after 30 years I have yet to read or hear one guy state (except for the Essen show): Preston opened with Taylor, and it was great. Some people mention Preston, but never Taylor. Really strange when just about everybody who saw a 1973 show does remember Kracker....

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-21 21:31 by Mathijs.

Date: September 21, 2013 21:10

A good example of a 1973 Preston show:

Mathijs

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 22, 2013 05:53

Taylor only played on very few gigs with Preston.
I saw some 73 shows - always with Preston but no Taylor.
I didn't even see him in Essen and was at all 3 gigs. Maybe he did only 1 Essen show and I missed him cause I had to do some work there. Or he played hidden.
They recorded all 3 gigs with the mobile.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: September 22, 2013 06:08

Mathijs
Last: it is quite amazing that after 30 years I have yet to read or hear one guy state (except for the Essen show): Preston opened with Taylor, and it was great. Some people mention Preston, but never Taylor. Really strange when just about everybody who saw a 1973 show does remember Kracker...
Mathijs

One certain and two maybe's:

NME 1973-10-27, Nick Kent (Berlin show): Mick Taylor has donned a huge steel wool afro wig in readiness for his jam with the Preston band... Once onstage, Taylor lets loose with some of the most searing guitar work I've witnessed in any age, building up riffs meticulously, pulling surprises and spinning guitar lines like fireworks over Preston's keyboard dynamics... Offstage, ... Richards ... rises ... to mutter a sincere "Nice one, Mick" after the performance.

Sounds 1973-10-27, Martin Hayman (Berlin): Billy Preston's God Squad . . . play their piece ... Mick Taylor ... goes on unrecognized. Billy Preston's set is wild, infectious; ... though most of the audience resist its attractions successfully. Mick Taylor plays fluid slide guitar and solos admirably...

A third review of the same show in Disc has a paragraph on Preston's show, but does not note Taylor's presence with Preston.

Date: September 22, 2013 17:09

I've asked around a bit, and this is what I have confirmed so far: Preston opened ALL shows, in fact he was the main support act, not Kracker. Which shows Kracker exactly did is unsure to me, but they did not open all shows.

Taylor is confirmed to have played with Preston on two shows: one Essen show, and the last show of the tour, Berlin. Taylor is confirmed NOT to have played with preston on the opening Vienna show, all German shows (except the one Essen and Berlin shows of course), the Belgium shows, the three Rotterdam shows, and all UK shows.

I do not know about the Scandinavian shows. But, it appears that the reports by John Carr etc. are true: Taylor only played with Preston for the recording of the live album in Essen, and probably decided to jam with them again on the last show of the tour.

Mathijs

Date: September 22, 2013 17:10

svt22
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
Billy Preston and his band plus Mick Taylor were the main support act during the Rolling Stones 1973 Tour. Those who attended one of those gigs will very probably appreciate this video, but also people who weren't there might like it.
Great music in my opinion.

This is not correct as far as I know. Kracker was the main opening act on all shows, and Preston on about half of the shows -it actually still is uncertain on which shows exactly.

It is also unknown on how many shows Taylor joined Preston, but he most probably only played with Preston during the Essen shows for the recording of the live album.

On the extended live album Taylor is on half of the tracks, most of the new ones do not feature a guitarist.

Although Taylor sometimes sounds great on the Preston album, he also sounds like he isn't too sure about the songs, like he didn't really rehearse them a lot.

Mathijs

On this vid (album) Taylor is on almost all songs/tracks. Really great interplay with Billy Preston. Wonderful how they build up a real musical party. A treat for the ears.

Preston/Taylor was a regular support act during the Rolling Stones European Tour 1973:

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Quote from Nico Zentgraf:

"1st September - 19th October: BILLY PRESTON. European Tour.
Line-up: MT (gtr)/Billy Preston (voc, keyb)/Manuel Kellough (dr)/Huby Heard
(keyb)/Kenny Lupper (keyb)
Note: Supporting act for The Rolling Stones."

Besides I heard them myself in Rotterdam.

I know Zentgraf lists Preston as opener for all shows, but I really doubt that actually happened, as well as there are reports Taylor was asked to do some shows with Preston specifically for the live album.

Did Preston and Taylor open in Rotterdam for example? The printed reviews from the day say only Cracker opened, and just about nobody I know who was there remembers Preston opening, let alone with Taylor. They only remember Cracker AND loud psychedelic music (as well as Keith Richards with his new German vamp on his arm watching Cracker while nodding off).

Mathijs

I'm sure Kracker wasn't the only supporting act in Rotterdam Oct. 1973. According to this so called Rolling Stones October Diary article Preston played before all three Rolling Stones shows in October 73, though they mix things (Preston and Kracker) up and the ticket says the same!

[www.vandaagindemuziek.nl]

see the ticket here: [www.kelderke-sittard.com]

In any case the name of the band was Kracker and it wasn't Billy Preston's band:

[en.wikipedia.org]

By all events the 'Billy Preston And His Krackers' on the ticket means nothing. It was the band Kracker, and Preston's 'Gods Squad'.

Most important: YOU have stated about a million times that seeing Taylor with the Stones in 1973 was a live changing event, but still you NEVER mentioned seeing Taylor with Preston opening for the Stones, nor do you seem to recall it now.

I don't blame you, as nobody I know remembers Preston, let alone Taylor. Some tickets of the tour mention Preston as being 'a guest' from the 'USA', some tickets mention Kracker as opening act, most mention nothing at all.

Mathijs

You cannot know cause you were only a little kid then.

Zentgraf is right. Besides I was there too - Rotterdam '73, Taylor played with Preston. They played the roof off.

I wasn't even born then. The good thing about that is that my memory still serves, and that I still remember all bands I have seen.

You are again full of shite: Taylor did not play with Preston in Rotterdam.

Mathijs

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 22, 2013 17:36

Mathijs
svt22
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
Billy Preston and his band plus Mick Taylor were the main support act during the Rolling Stones 1973 Tour. Those who attended one of those gigs will very probably appreciate this video, but also people who weren't there might like it.

This is not correct as far as I know. Kracker was the main opening act on all shows, and Preston on about half of the shows -it actually still is uncertain on which shows exactly.

It is also unknown on how many shows Taylor joined Preston, but he most probably only played with Preston during the Essen shows for the recording of the live album.

On the extended live album Taylor is on half of the tracks, most of the new ones do not feature a guitarist.

Although Taylor sometimes sounds great on the Preston album, he also sounds like he isn't too sure about the songs, like he didn't really rehearse them a lot.

Mathijs

On this vid (album) Taylor is on almost all songs/tracks. Really great interplay with Billy Preston. Wonderful how they build up a real musical party. A treat for the ears.

Preston/Taylor was a regular support act during the Rolling Stones European Tour 1973:

[www.nzentgraf.de]

I know Zentgraf lists Preston as opener for all shows, but I really doubt that actually happened, as well as there are reports Taylor was asked to do some shows with Preston specifically for the live album.

Did Preston and Taylor open in Rotterdam for example? The printed reviews from the day say only Cracker opened, and just about nobody I know who was there remembers Preston opening, let alone with Taylor. They only remember Cracker AND loud psychedelic music (as well as Keith Richards with his new German vamp on his arm watching Cracker while nodding off).

Mathijs

I'm sure Kracker wasn't the only supporting act in Rotterdam Oct. 1973. According to this so called Rolling Stones October Diary article Preston played before all three Rolling Stones shows in October 73, though they mix things (Preston and Kracker) up and the ticket says the same!

In any case the name of the band was Kracker and it wasn't Billy Preston's band:

[en.wikipedia.org]

By all events the 'Billy Preston And His Krackers' on the ticket means nothing. It was the band Kracker, and Preston's 'Gods Squad'.

Most important: YOU have stated about a million times that seeing Taylor with the Stones in 1973 was a live changing event, but still you NEVER mentioned seeing Taylor with Preston opening for the Stones, nor do you seem to recall it now.

I don't blame you, as nobody I know remembers Preston, let alone Taylor. Some tickets of the tour mention Preston as being 'a guest' from the 'USA', some tickets mention Kracker as opening act, most mention nothing at all.

Mathijs

Zentgraf is right. Besides I was there too - Rotterdam '73, Taylor played with Preston. They played the roof off.

I wasn't even born then. The good thing about that is that my memory still serves, and that I still remember all bands I have seen.

Mathijs

You're obviously so young you still have to learn how to behave.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: September 22, 2013 20:00

Mathijs
svt22
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Mathijs

[en.wikipedia.org]

Mathijs

Mathijs

I'm surprised it took you so long to come up wih this predictable reaction. >grinning smiley<

Can it be Preston played with Taylor and the Rolling Stones in Rotterdam '73 then ? At least Taylor sounded rather rehearsed there to me. winking smiley

Date: September 22, 2013 20:04

Preston was the keyboard player in the Stones throughout the tour...

Date: September 22, 2013 20:15

Let's ask John Carr, I don't believe you.grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-22 20:18 by svt22.

Date: September 22, 2013 20:28

grinning smiley Im pretty sure you know/saw that yourself...

Date: September 22, 2013 20:29

svt22
Mathijs
svt22
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Mathijs

[en.wikipedia.org]

Mathijs

Mathijs

I'm surprised it took you so long to come up wih this predictable reaction. >grinning smiley<

Can it be it Preston played with Taylor and the Rolling Stones in Rotterdam '73 then ? At least Taylor sounded rather rehearsed there to me. winking smiley

Don't worry, the way you phrased your responses made it all too clear. We're not as stupid as you are.

Mathijs

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: September 22, 2013 20:52

Gotta love these pics:

Date: September 22, 2013 21:05

DandelionPowderman
grinning smiley Im pretty sure you know/saw that yourself...

Quite impressive indeed, especially when it's the first rock concert you attend as a young boy.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 23, 2013 01:02

marianna
He was at the level of the big three '60s guitariststhat are always mentioned,

No.

Date: September 23, 2013 01:07

His Majesty
marianna

No.

grinning smiley

Date: September 23, 2013 01:12

svt22
His Majesty
marianna

No.

grinning smiley

Thanks for supporting my no.

Date: September 23, 2013 01:23

grinning smiley

Date: September 23, 2013 01:25

His Majesty
svt22
His Majesty
marianna

No.

grinning smiley

Thanks for supporting my no.

Date: September 23, 2013 01:29

His Majesty
marianna

No.

According to you.

I don't get the sworn enemies of Mick Taylor. When I looked up some YouTube videos of Mick's work at the start of this last tour, since I wasn't that familiar with all he's done since leaving the Stones, I found tons of disparaging comments about Mick's work and Mick as a person (maybe he's been flaky, but he seems harmless enough). It wasn't even Stones' videos, it was work he did with other people or as a solo. What's up with people who go out of their way to express their hatred for him and his work outside the Stones? If you don't like Mick, why are you reading or bothering to comment on a post about his work that wasn't even with the Stones? Go back to reading the autobiographies of Keith Richards and Ron Wood, charming nice guys that they are.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 23, 2013 01:33

I agree that he receives some unwarranted flak, but most people in this thread (e.g. His Majesty, svt22, Dandelion, Mathijs) like him, afaik -- they're just taking the piss as usual. drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 01:34 by LieB.

Date: September 23, 2013 01:39

Who are those sworn enemies? Step up! smiling smiley

Date: September 23, 2013 01:45

Sworn enemies might be a strong word, but really, if you don't like a musician's style or skills, or resent him for leaving your favorite band, why go out of your way to comment about work he did with a completely different musical act? I wouldn't bother. Also, there are journalists and others who put Mick right up there with Clapton, Page, and Beck. Part of it is that Clapton, Page, and Beck are not that difficult of a benchmark to approach. I say "the big three" as much in the spirit that the so-called big three aren't the absolute greatest guitarist of all time as much as Mick is all that great himself. Mick and those three guys at their best are very good and have had high points in their work, but there are younger guitarists out there who are better guitarists than any of them.

Date: September 23, 2013 01:47

marianna

According to you.

According to a whole lot of people.

The big 3, who I assume to mean Beck, Page and Clapton changed things big time, Taylor did no such thing.

He just isn't on the same level as them even though he could and did play better than them at times, but so do some guitarists in your local pub.

Date: September 23, 2013 01:55

His Majesty
marianna

According to you.

According to a whole lot of people.

The big 3, who I assume to mean Beck, Page and Clapton changed things big time, Taylor did no such thing.

He just isn't on the same level as them even though he could and did play better than them at times, but so do some guitarists in your local pub.

Hendrix was the big 3. The big 3 agree. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: September 23, 2013 02:07

svt22

Hendrix was the big 3. tongue sticking out smiley

Indeed, but a fan of the English big 3. winking smiley

Clapton is very overrated, but as far as innovation and influence (within white boy blues etc) he was really important.

The world of music would be much the same whether Taylor existed or not. That's not the case with regards to the big 3.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home