Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Hendrix Coming to PBS as American Master
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 15, 2013 19:14

stonesrule
Anyone who is truly interested in Hendrix can go to the library and request "Jimi Hendrix, The Man, The Magic, The Truth" which is my account of the Jimi I knew, with many rare interviews with others who knew him.

Much of the book is in his own words through 1970.it is inhis own words. It covers his life, his death and what happened afterward through 2004.

...and it's now available as an ebook. smiling smiley

I just ordered it for my NOOK stonesrule, can't wait to read it!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 16, 2013 00:10

Will be interested in your thoughts, LA. Be sure you're heavily moisturized.
As I said to Eric Clapton, who got one of the first hardcovers, "Better get out the Kleenex."

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: October 16, 2013 09:41

Dear Jimi. I miss him so much.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 16, 2013 10:01

I seem to have missed this thread--makes me madder than ever about the chickenpox that prevented my sole chance to see Hendrix. angry smiley Even at the time, I thought "there'll always be another opportunity, he's bound to tour again . ."

I haven't read stonesrule's book yet either, though following latebloomer's suggestion I now have it nestling in the Kindle app of my iPad and am looking forward very much to reading it. smiling smiley

Reading the above posts, though, I was very disappointed to hear about Joe Boyd. He was a bit of a hero back in the Elektra days.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 16, 2013 12:14

I remember the first time playing a Jimi Hendrix record sitting at the end of my bed thinking it couldn't be real, what I was hearing. The record was the 1973 soundtrack. But nothing tears me up more than Live in the West, though it's peiced together. For me Jimi was the greatest musician that walked the earth, though I sometimes get funny looks saying it, ha-ha. Looking forward to these new releases as always.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 16, 2013 18:57

frankotero
For me Jimi was the greatest musician that walked the earth, though I sometimes get funny looks saying it, ha-ha.

Although 'the greatest musician that walked the earth' is something people can debate, I don't think we've seen anything like him in popular music since. He was a musician with unlimited potential and feel. There was just a glimmer of that in Cobain, the feeling of emotions being expressed in the playing that spoke at without words. I said a glimmer.

I'm certainly not saying Jimi was the greatest musician of all time. IMO he was the greatest musician in the rock/blues field in an era of giants and the music genre itself reached its zenith, with Jimi being a huge part of it. It's impossible to say how Jimi would have fared in other kinds of music. He simply did the most with what was in his time. He was most likely headed for some jazz experimentation with Miles Davis, but jazz was bending towards the more popular rock at the time. Still, it would have been cool to see what Jimi could have done with fusion. In that sense Jimi will forever be captured in amber as a rock and roll artist.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 16, 2013 19:56

Miles Davis wanted $50,000 before he'd go into the studio with Jimi.
Jimi was offended. He never thought about Miles again. That's a FACT.

If he had lived, there were numerous other fine jazz musicians who were more than eager to work with Jimi.

Was he the greatest? He would never have said so. But another FACT is that virtually every talented rock musicians in the UK and America admired him and were huge fans of Hendrix as a player and person. Eric Burdon summed it up this way: "It's so EXCITIN' when Jimi plays."

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 16, 2013 20:11

stonesrule

If he had lived, there were numerous other fine jazz musicians who were more than eager to work with Jimi.
One jazz musician Hendrix did jam with was John McLaughlin, who had played with Miles Davis on notable recordings (In A Silent Way recorded a month before the Hendrix/McLaughlin jam). stonesrule, if I may ask, was there intention of Jimi and John ever working together or was it just a one off jam they shared? Did Jimi get connected to Miles through John?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 16, 2013 20:12

stonesrule

Was he the greatest? He would never have said so. But another FACT is that virtually every talented rock musicians in the UK and America admired him and were huge fans of Hendrix as a player and person. Eric Burdon summed it up this way: "It's so EXCITIN' when Jimi plays."

I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever that he was the greatest rock and roll/blues musician of all time. And that includes the future and all planets and civilizations encountered then. But I don't think 'The Greatest Musician Of All Time' is warranted. Duke Ellington, Buddy Rich, Charlie Parker, these are people I would never put behind Jimi Hendrix. I would put Jimi in that pantheon though. And the rarity of those kind of players is evident. We haven't had a musician of any kind with that level of ability and feel since Hendrix. That's 43 years.

I tell you what's sad. Duane Allman. He was only 24 when he died. He had already been a top notch session guitarists on genres from Aretha to Herbie Mann. I think if Duane had lived he would have moved the Allman Brothers into new territories. We might not even think of them as just Southern Rock, because Duane might have taken them beyond that. And too bad Duane and Jimi never crossed paths as far as I know. Duane would have absorbed all he could from Jimi and maybe Jimi would have added a killer slide to his repertoire.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 16, 2013 20:21

Jimi Hendrix-Hey Joe-Jimi's last concert in Fehmarn Germany

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home