Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Under The Radar vs. Plundered My Soul
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 5, 2011 06:56

I think these two tracks are the best things they've done since 1983.

I love'em both...which do you think is better and why?

Re: Under The Radar vs. Plundered My Soul
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 5, 2011 07:10

PMS.

Because of Mick Taylor, but mostly because it brought back in a new song a certain Stones vibe we had almost lost hope we would ever hear again.

Date: March 5, 2011 07:23

I put a little effort in this evening, and was FINALLY able to successfully rip UNDER THE RADAR off the DVD from the Special ABB set.

It took some doing because it was copyright protected, and on the initial rips, the sound quality was distorted.

I had to create a new dvd, that somehow 'lost' the video part of the DVD, and as well, the copyright protection.

Then, using that DVD, I ripped the songs into WAV format.

NOW, I can configure A BETTER BANG!

Here is my setlist...only 11 tracks:

Rough Justice
ONNYA
Dangerous Beauty
Under The Radar
Back Of My Hand
It Won't Take Long
SSMC
Rain Fall Down
LIND
This Place Is Empty
Don't Wanna Go Home

Date: March 5, 2011 08:09

71Tele
PMS.

Because of Mick Taylor, but mostly because it brought back in a new song a certain Stones vibe we had almost lost hope we would ever hear again.

I so totally appreciate what they did with that number.

For me, it's a very hard choice, for as much as I like PMS, both for just as a song, and how they were able to pull it together 40 years later and make it sound great, I also very much like Under the Radar particularly because they didn't have to go back 40 years.

Date: March 5, 2011 10:05

treaclefingers
71Tele
PMS.

For me, it's a very hard choice, for as much as I like PMS, both for just as a song, and how they were able to pull it together 40 years later and make it sound great, I also very much like Under the Radar particularly because they didn't have to go back 40 years.

If going back 40 years produces a Plundered My Soul, I hope they do it more often. It was a "new" great Stones song.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 5, 2011 10:54

treaclefingers
71Tele
PMS.

Well, actually with "Under The Radar" they went musically even more back - to 1967/68...

I don't quite get the fascination people have with it. Yeah, its melody has some reminiscants of "Child of The Moon" - or that era - but I find it quite formulaic and cliche-like - no inspiration - and Jagger's lyrical content is typical late-day "couldn't care less" but the backing track is just Keith and Charlie by numbers. No swing, no musical interaction, no breathing.... The track is seemingly half-baked, a filler, and that's it.

It is a typical A BIGGER BANG track in the sense that there perhaps could be some idea in it, but obviously there was no any will to develop it any further, to really start the hard work.

"Plundered My Soul" is opposition. It's natural way to swing, to breathe is a pleasure to ear - and it gets just more hypnotic by each listening, in contrast to UTR that loses its catchy- but cheap - melodic appael very soon and gets annoying. It is question of nuances but with PMS those little nuances make the HUGE difference, and I suppose finding the right nuances is a question of dedication and hard work. The backing track - Charlie, Bill & Keith - is simply classical Stones with its over-nuanced backbeat with Taylor's melodic lead icing the cake. Each intrument, in fact, is so tastly included to the cake. Jagger surprisinlgy surpasses his late-day limited singing cliches, and sounds actually edgy, inspired and not-formulaic. The melody of the song is nothing special - but neither is "Satisfaction" or "Jumpin' Jack Flash" or "Tumblin' Dice" - it is the question of finding the right lines and notes ways of expression. Each line matters, and each nuance is thought out.

That's my two cents. To me "Plundered My Soul" is their best track since TATTOO YOU, and "Under The Radar" one more retro by-numbers cut that could have made A BIGGER BANG - or VOODOO LOUNGE - or not as well as any song actually did it.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-05 10:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 5, 2011 11:15

Even though I think UTR is a great track and played great (Keith's guitar), I'd have to go with PMS.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: March 5, 2011 11:18

Nothing since Tattoo You comes close to Plundered, I'm still obsessed with the track. The iTunes singles version has a totally different mix that the album and vinyl version, Taylor's so high in the mix, check it out it'll be the best £1.79 you've ever spent.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 5, 2011 12:42

flairville
Nothing since Tattoo You comes close to Plundered, I'm still obsessed with the track. The iTunes singles version has a totally different mix that the album and vinyl version, Taylor's so high in the mix, check it out it'll be the best £1.79 you've ever spent.

Now that I don't agree on. PMS is, to me, not the best since TY. I could name many others that I like better.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 5, 2011 12:50

I´m all the way with Doxa,Under the radar is an unfinished song,it has a nice
cathcy melody,decent groove,but it just hangs on cliff.
PMS,is a perfect reminder how great,classic songs they wrote.

Date: March 5, 2011 13:46

IAW Doxa and marko. "Radar" belongs right in there with all the ABB tracks. It almost doesn't matter what I think of any of these tracks because they are all still should have/could have tracks. Demos. That have not been fleshed out, tossed around - finished yet. They all have the potential of going way up or way down still.
PMS on the other hand is a demo that feels "finished".

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 5, 2011 18:15

Doxa - I totally disagree with you on UTR this is a really good latter day Stones track. That said I'd still go with PMS as the better song. I really like that song and somone above said if it takes going back 40 years for that sound then keep going back because there are unearthed treasures back there.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 5, 2011 18:31

Doxa - you crack me up. You correctly spell Jumpin' Jack Flash but incorrectly spell Tumbling Dice as Tumblin' Dice. Why do you do that!?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 5, 2011 18:38

JumpingKentFlash
Even though I think UTR is a great track and played great (Keith's guitar), I'd have to go with PMS.

I'd go the other way. UTR is the better one for me

When it comes to Plundered My Soul......there's something about that track which makes it absolutely excellent....but also something that ruins it. Think Jagger is somehow responsible for my wishy-woshy view on the song

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-05 18:42 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 5, 2011 18:43

Plundered is easily the best song of these two - yet alone the best song in quite some time.

Of its kind. I love some other tracks as well. Laugh I Nearly Died is as good if not better than Plundered. I think Plundered is handicapped by many people because of Mick Taylor. It's good alright, it's outstanding, but is it actually better than some of the songs they've written in the past, er 3 albums? That's difficult to discern.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-05 18:44 by skipstone.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: March 5, 2011 18:50

"Plundered My Soul" and it's not even close. The best Stones song in quite a long time.

"Under the Radar" is a pretty good filler/B-side. I don't understand the fascination with this song.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 5, 2011 18:52

I would go for PMS with UTR as a B side (which is what it is).

PLUNDERED for me is proof that MJ still cares about what they put out. Taylor was the icing on the cake.

sc uk

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 5, 2011 19:05

PMS over anything since 1981

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 5, 2011 19:19

To accomplish anything significant in life - it will simply not happen if there is no sense of urgency or pride or heart. Half ass produced songs make me sick.

Date: March 5, 2011 19:20

James Kirk
"Plundered My Soul" and it's not even close. The best Stones song in quite a long time.

"Under the Radar" is a pretty good filler/B-side. I don't understand the fascination with this song.

Disagree...UTR should have been THE lead single off ABB.

I like it as it is, although I wouldn't mind hearing it with a bit more tinkering if that's where they went.

That and the reconfigged, "A Better Bang" that I mentioned earlier, ane I think we would have had a hot album.

Date: March 5, 2011 19:46

I don't understand what the big deal is about UTR. It's ok, but I think it acquired a mystique simply because it was left off ABB.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 5, 2011 19:58

I agree 71; for example, the sudden stop in drumbeat leaves nothing to be desired. The song sounds like a cross of 2000 LYFH and ....yeah you know what i mean

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 5, 2011 20:05

71Tele
I don't understand what the big deal is about UTR. It's ok, but I think it acquired a mystique simply because it was left off ABB.

I think the big deal about Under The Radar is that it sounds so "real".....like the band really enjoy playing the tune - unlike most songs on ABB which sounds so forced (in my opinion, that is). So it's breeze of fresh air during a most forced session.

....or maybe it's just because of it reminding us of Child Of The Moon...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 5, 2011 20:09

"Plundered my soul" is really great. I don't think Keith harmonizes on it, it sounds like Mick does the not synchronized, high-pitched backing vocal that follows his lead (rolling stones trademark right there).That is my only complaint about that fantastic track.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: March 5, 2011 20:11

Keith does not harmonise on it, it's Mick.

Date: March 5, 2011 21:09

Erik_Snow
71Tele

I think the big deal about Under The Radar is that it sounds so "real".....like the band really enjoy playing the tune - unlike most songs on ABB which sounds so forced (in my opinion, that is). So it's breeze of fresh air during a most forced session.

....or maybe it's just because of it reminding us of Child Of The Moon...

Well, JJF reminds me of Satisfaction, so I'm for one not going to get my knickers in a twist about that.

Jagger's vocal is excellent on UTR and while I do enjoy the harmonies on PMS, I recall that a lot of people had a problem with the 'older sound' of his voice on that one. I think on UTR that is far less an issue.

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: March 5, 2011 21:11

PMS - easy....

Does anyone know where you can get the itunes version/single version everyone is talking about?
In the US - the itunes single version sounds the same as the cd version

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: March 5, 2011 22:34

I like them both.
I've been listening to PMS recently (again) and it keeps impressing me. It's a great tune.
UTR is also very good and, as others stated, it has that laid back flavor, specially the "cough".

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 6, 2011 00:56

nice! i thought i was going mad on some of the other threads where some are calling UTR a classic. it's very average at best. Doxa sums it up perfectly, imo, as i also find it uninspiring.

to me, PMS is a classic tune - i love it from beginning to end. musically great topped of with classic mick vocals.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 6, 2011 06:46

UTR is the best song they've done in decades....PMS is the also the best song they've done in decades. eye popping smiley

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home