Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Interesting read on the death of the album format
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 17, 2013 18:26

There is so much vinyls I can get from my local vinyl shop or internetshops that's amazing. A lot of new bands nowadays bring out their new music on vinyls.
Nothing can beat a turntable with vinyls to look at and listen to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 19:23 by runaway.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 18, 2013 08:33

This may be very strange to some, but I would smell the inside of the sleeve before sliding out the record for the first time.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 18, 2013 08:42

Buying the albums & 45s were the days, my friends! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 18, 2013 13:23

Doxa

But in a bigger history of music, the story of album is not that long. Since the whole format is very made to a certain technological innovation, it is rather natural that the album is a rather contingent format of presenting music (and in hindsight, its destiny is very much sealed with its technological premises). It was a lucky co-incidence that the best creative souls of the 60's - surely some before them, but it was them who make it big both artistically and commercially - took this format as the object of their creativity impulses, and made it an artistic statement of its own, and not just a random collection of songs. In a way, an album is really music format of rock culture and rock 'generations', - Doxa

Oh I don't know.

The typical symphony or opera work is of similar length to an album.
[Operas are like big double albums with fancy sleaves ;^) ]

There may be something "right" about a musical experience that lasts between about 40 mins and an hour or two.

...You're going to sit down, relax and listen to this for an hour or so.

That's partly what's lost I think. Folks don't sit down and listen to music so much...it's all short bursts of whatever whilst they do something else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-18 13:24 by Spud.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 18, 2013 22:08

i started my stones collection in 1987.

first it was a tape of love you live, then a tape of rolled gold, bought tapes as it was fit for the walkman, but loved to buy the vinyl record as it was great to show off your record collection and the sound quality was so much better.

then cd,s came out and i started to update my stones collection in the late 90,s.

today my collection is a mishmash of tapes, which i dont play anymore, cd,s and some vinyl albums.

have recently added to my cd and dvd collection by buying cheap on amazon, and hopefully will get as many cd,s, dvd,s and both vinyl albums and singles, including box sets as possible. it will be costly and could take time but would prefer to have something tangible as a stones record collection than just a few memory sticks.

if only the stones discography hadnt been as complicated.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: September 19, 2013 01:13

I had a co-worker a few years ago say to me:

"I would never, ever, sit down and listen to an entire album in one sitting."

That hit me, because I have spent HOURS doing just that, and, at the age of 58, I still DO!

Attention span is just too short these days. Music is something that is going on in the background, almost like a lamp in the corner.

Date: September 19, 2013 12:57

Mongoose

That hit me, because I have spent HOURS doing just that, and, at the age of 58, I still DO!

Attention span is just too short these days. Music is something that is going on in the background, almost like a lamp in the corner.

Exactly so .

I sometimes think we're all these days too busy to enjoy anything properly

...and it's not just an age thing. I've always found time to sit and listen to music .
It has to be said though that music isn't the "be all and end all" to youth that it used to be. Gaming and social media have rather usurped it for many younger folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-19 13:07 by Spud.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 19, 2013 14:39

Spud

That's partly what's lost I think. Folks don't sit down and listen to music so much...it's all short bursts of whatever whilst they do something else.

Did (do) you ever SIT down to listen to a Stones LP?

How do you play air guitar?

C

Date: September 19, 2013 14:40

grinning smiley

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 19, 2013 14:52

At 46 I remember albums which quickly shifted to cassettes for portability then CD's. When there were 6 channels on the TV and no internet, radio and albums were important sources of music and entertainment. The beauty was having to sit down and listen. I always had a good stereo system with large speakers to crank tunes out. I never had ever stones album but did have every one on cassette. What a treat realizing the depth of catalog they had in the old days. I remember buying Got Live If You Want It, sounded great, hated it! I think my brother and I are going to start a new album collection and get the turntable fired up again. They sound incredible. All good new bands have their current stuff on vynil.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 19, 2013 16:54

Spud
Doxa

But in a bigger history of music, the story of album is not that long. Since the whole format is very made to a certain technological innovation, it is rather natural that the album is a rather contingent format of presenting music (and in hindsight, its destiny is very much sealed with its technological premises). It was a lucky co-incidence that the best creative souls of the 60's - surely some before them, but it was them who make it big both artistically and commercially - took this format as the object of their creativity impulses, and made it an artistic statement of its own, and not just a random collection of songs. In a way, an album is really music format of rock culture and rock 'generations', - Doxa

Oh I don't know.

The typical symphony or opera work is of similar length to an album.
[Operas are like big double albums with fancy sleaves ;^) ]

There may be something "right" about a musical experience that lasts between about 40 mins and an hour or two.

...You're going to sit down, relax and listen to this for an hour or so.

exceptionally good point Spud.

Date: September 19, 2013 18:57

liddas
Spud

C
#

I was going to cover the options in my original commentsgrinning smiley .
Yes, by all means dance, jump up and down, play air guitar...we're all guilty

...but the point is that the music has your attention and that's why you're dancin' .

You're not on Face Book or playing Grand Theft Auto at the same time .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 19, 2013 19:33

Spud
liddas
Spud

C
#

I was going to cover the options in my original commentsgrinning smiley .
Yes, by all means dance, jump up and down, play air guitar...we're all guilty

...but the point is that the music has your attention and that's why you're dancin' .

You're not on Face Book or playing Grand Theft Auto at the same time .

I've never been on Facebook or GTA...what have I missed?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 19, 2013 19:38

shattered
This may be very strange to some, but I would smell the inside of the sleeve before sliding out the record for the first time.

I have this strange habit, too. smileys with beer

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 19, 2013 19:56

Cristiano Radtke
shattered

Same here. Thanks for reminding me of something I'd forgotten all about. LP vinyl did have its own distinctive aroma. There's a blog I read sometimes whose owner mentions occasionally that he would love to be able to spend a day in his favorite past era just to know what it smelled like.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 19, 2013 21:01

blivet
Cristiano Radtke
shattered

Same here. Thanks for reminding me of something I'd forgotten all about. LP vinyl did have its own distinctive aroma. There's a blog I read sometimes whose owner mentions occasionally that he would love to be able to spend a day in his favorite past era just to know what it smelled like.

Of course, this very same habit is also applied on books. Sometimes I think I've got some kind of nasty habits. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: September 20, 2013 00:44

Another big music change from kids from today and when we grew up.....the reaction to neighborhood garage bands.

In the old days, especially in a small town like I grew up in, a Saturday afternoon garage band session meant LOT of kids hearing the music, running over to wherever you were trying to bang out a version of "Satisfaction" or whatever tune you were working on. It was almost an instant party.

"Hey, these guys are playing music. They have an amplifier and cymbals and EVERYTHING!"

Now, any kid walking by a house hearing music being rehearsed by any kind of band is just going to turn up their iPod or video game and keep on truckin'.

Just doesn't have the same appeal any more.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 20, 2013 17:47

The meaning of the album has perhaps lost its place in the last 5 years or so with the iPod being such a big deal. Although I'm sure it's fun I've never viewed music as something to listen to while on the go (grocery shopping, walking wherever). Back in the day of the cassette Walkman I'd make tapes of Love You Live and listen to it over and over and over while mowing lawns. Tapes in the car for road trips. Tapes at home - from vinyl until CDs came out - for my own mixes.

Listening to an album was always a time out though. Regardless of what band there was always that time of day where I'd sit and listen while looking at the album. That continued with CDs, which took longer because of the smaller print.

I never really lost the feel of the album from playing a CD. I didn't mind not having to get up to flip the vinyl record. The CD record didn't need flipping! That, to me, was the genius part of it. So with EXILE you don't have that opening and closing of sides - but at least the songs are still in that order.

LPs, regardless of format, will always be my preference. I like albums. The Cult's latest LP, CHOICE OF WEAPON, has the lyrics and fantastic artwork. It's essentially a book. I didn't get the vinyl version, perhaps some day.

However, if all that is released is a single, so be it. MP3? Well I guess it's better than nothing if you want the song. I'd prefer a CD single - remember when those were cool? Then one day they became "too expensive" to release. How can that be? What a joke.

Does LP sequencing matter today? I think so. It's art, right? Regardless of format the artist should still give a shit how it goes. I'm all for trimming down the damn releases and keeping it a real experience opposed to wandering around a junk yard. So with the digital LP I am able to do that thanks to Windows Media Player and take the shit songs off of whatever albums.

It brings the joy of listening to an album the way it shold have been done ha ha.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 20, 2013 18:22

Mongoose

That was the advantage of the vinyl. It could be 'interrupted'. You could split the 'entire album' into two occasions to listen. There must be 17 minutes off duty to concentrate on an album side!
But with the cd format you have to listen to entire 'double albums' in one go.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 20, 2013 20:39

JJHMick

And who actually has so much space and time and receptive energy to do that? Maybe once, if it is a new one, and then pick up the songs individually, after having made a first and quick impression of their quality...

- Doxa

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 20, 2013 21:02

Doxa
JJHMick

And who actually has so much space and time and receptive energy to do that? Maybe once, if it is a new one, and then pick up the songs individually, after having made a first and quick impression of their quality...

- Doxa
Doxa, you are right. I remember listening to A Bigger Bang several times up to She Saw Me Coming (track 7), finally fed up and starting with the song to get the second half of the cd.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 20, 2013 21:37

I'm going to say something really controversial here.. I have a huge collection of vinyl records, which I love, and nothing beats the vinyl lp cover as a piece of artwork. But I was playing some Stones vinyl on the weekend, then put on a cd and was blown away by the clarity and power of the cd.... Yes, perhaps vinyl is slightly warmer, but really I found myself digging the CDs more than the vinyl. Perhaps I need a better turntable...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home