Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10
-
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 14, 2013 07:11

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 17:03 by camper88.

Re: Is Beast of Burden The Last Great Stones Song?
Posted by: muffie ()
Date: September 14, 2013 07:15

Start Me Up (1981) came after BOB (1978). That was their last great classic.

Date: September 14, 2013 07:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 17:03 by camper88.

Re: The Last Great Stones Song?
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 14, 2013 07:29

It's Dome and Gloom

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 14, 2013 07:38

....it's coming ......

ROCKMAN

Date: September 14, 2013 07:43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 17:04 by camper88.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 14, 2013 07:56

Far Away Eyes kicks Beast Of Burden's ass every day of the week. It's scientific fact. Especially the Texas '78 version. Mick cracks me up. Especially the music video, or TV performance. Whatever that weird redneck scene is.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 14, 2013 08:01

If we're talking merely 'great' songs, then yeah, I suppose Beat Of Burden fits the bill, but if we're talking truly magnificent, awe-inspiring compositions, then Mick and Keith haven't composed too much that's particularly memorable post-Exile on Main Street.

Date: September 14, 2013 08:08

Glastonbury Girl .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 14, 2013 08:46

Shattered is the last one for me ||||||||||| I've been Shidoobeed down!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-14 08:53 by triceratops.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 14, 2013 09:50

Highwire

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 14, 2013 09:57

slewan
Highwire

Highwire and Mixed Emotions.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 14, 2013 10:21

I thought we all agreed that the last great Stones song to transcend the studio version was Out Of Control:

Date: September 14, 2013 10:43

Doom And Gloom is great!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 14, 2013 11:03

It depends on the meaning of 'great'... If that is the highest category or not. If songs like "Gimme Shelter", "Honky Tonk Women", "Satisfaction", "Paint It Black", "Brown Sugar", "Wild Horses", "Sympathy For The Devil" etc. are 'great', then there are not many songs from the early 70's on, that cannot be called as 'great', unless we seriously start underrating the value of the songs of that caliber... But if we loosen up a bit, I guess "Miss You", "Beast of Burden" and "Start Me Up" are there lurking up, and not even far... The next category might include songs like "How Can I Stop" or "Out of Control" but then the league of the first mentioned songs is damn far by then...

The 'problem' is that the Stones made so incredibly great songs in their peak days that the criterion of 'great' is so damn high...

- Doxa

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 14, 2013 11:28

Doxa
It depends on the meaning of 'great'... If that is the highest category or not. If songs like "Gimme Shelter", "Honky Tonk Women", "Satisfaction", "Paint It Black", "Brown Sugar", "Wild Horses", "Sympathy For The Devil" etc. are 'great', then there are not many songs from the early 70's on, that cannot be called as 'great', unless we seriously start underrating the value of the songs of that caliber... But if we loosen up a bit, I guess "Miss You", "Beast of Burden" and "Start Me Up" are there lurking up, and not even far... The next category might include songs like "How Can I Stop" or "Out of Control" but then the league of the first mentioned songs is damn far by then...

The 'problem' is that the Stones made so incredibly great songs in their peak days that the criterion of 'great' is so damn high...

- Doxa
thumbs up

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 14, 2013 11:38

Doom and Gloom, great song

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: September 14, 2013 11:53

camper88
muffie
Start Me Up (1981) came after BOB (1978). That was their last great classic.

On the record, sure, but do you think there are live versions that are great in the way that there are great (I mean really great) versions of BOB?

I agree that BOB is the last great song "both on the record and live", Start Me Up is an absolute classic on the record but they have never been able to play it live in a way that could be even near that recorded version, and on the record I think even Mixed Emotions is a great song, not on the par with SMU though. But the final answer is BOB!

It's almost strange that they made such a fantastic record Some Girls and then suddenly the true creativity almost disappeared, I think the Punk and Disco scene were a tremendous inspirational boost for the Stones and after that they could not find any new inspiration again. And of course Jerry Hall took drugs off from Mick which was bad for Mick's creativity...Ok, I'm not pro drugs, don't get me wrong here!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 14, 2013 12:01

Nope.

Last great Stones song is Doom And Gloom

Date: September 14, 2013 12:04

How can I stop is up there with the best from the 60s imo.

Date: September 14, 2013 12:15

Under The Radar ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: September 14, 2013 12:38

Almost hear you sigh.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: September 14, 2013 12:40

Flip The Switch

Posted by: reiziger99 ()
Date: September 14, 2013 12:59

Good question and lot of answers smiling smiley.

May be a more important question would be if they still got it in them and if so, how to get it out.

I got the feeling that after a certain point their songwriting became more separated whereas in the early years they really worked on eachothers ideas.

I wonder what would happen if they would really spend some time in eachothers company (and by that I don't mean separate dressing rooms on tour) playing the old roots records, talking about music and start writing again.

What would happen if you put e.g. Rick Rubin in this cocktail? And please forget about these 60/70 minute albums.

8 to 10 great songs approx. 45/50 minutes would be enough.

What if....

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 14, 2013 13:08

the 1st one and the last one they made all of them are great
stones are way of life

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: September 14, 2013 13:19

reiziger99
Good question and lot of answers smiling smiley.

May be a more important question would be if they still got it in them and if so, how to get it out.

I got the feeling that after a certain point their songwriting became more separated whereas in the early years they really worked on eachothers ideas.

I wonder what would happen if they would really spend some time in eachothers company (and by that I don't mean separate dressing rooms on tour) playing the old roots records, talking about music and start writing again.

What would happen if you put e.g. Rick Rubin in this cocktail? And please forget about these 60/70 minute albums.

8 to 10 great songs approx. 45/50 minutes would be enough.

What if....

Yes, 10 songs is the optimal number, even 9 would be ok. I hate these 60/70 minute albums unless there really is enough substance to cover the lenght.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 14, 2013 13:20

I would say that Love Is Strong, Doom And Gloom, Continental Drift, Out Of Control, The Worst, Rough Justice, How Can I Stop, Under The Radar, Thru and Thru, Laugh I Nearly Died, , etc...plenty of others that still kick ass, right up there with the classics...

I think most people have the attitude that Stones cant do it anymore, when they listen to same old classics and over and over, year after year - but if you actually take the time and listen to new songs - you will realize that there's plenty of really good stuff out there - I didnt like Exile when I first heard it, but as the years went by - it became my all time favourite, as the years go by - I found lot more new songs on Bigger bang and Voodoo Lounge too that I didnt care for when I first heard it...

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 14, 2013 13:22

see my feelings cominĀ“....

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 14, 2013 13:30

Doom And Gloom !!!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 14, 2013 13:33

Doom and Gloom definitely NOT great.

I'd go with Out of Control, particularly the No Security version.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2481
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home