Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 56
Re: Sweet Summer Sun - Hyde Park Live : DVD & BluRay due Nov. 11
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 15, 2013 22:09

treaclefingers
proudmary
Gazza
His Majesty
It was really odd how he wonked up the intro in much the same way on both nights though. grinning smiley

Someone on this forum during the ABB tour, in response to criticisms of Keith's playing, actually suggested in all seriousness that what people were actually hearing were innovative, jazz-inspired progressions from someone who had ascended to a level beyond that of a virtuoso which were so advanced that mere fans and other lesser musicians couldnt comprehend them. And that those who merely thought it was a bit of clumsiness from an old man with arthritis whose head may have been a bit befuddled with alcohol and/or medication were full of shit.

The fact that he was able to play this intro exactly the same way at both Hyde Park shows is making me question whether or not the lone nutcase in question was actually wrong.

thumbs up I like your writing style,Gazza. As for me I jumped and screamed out of my head up to the fourth song so I totally missed that notorious intro in real time

Well, messing up the intro for such an iconic song on the first night, what can one say? Odd, but hey, he's old.

To do the same thing the second night, AFTER everyone came to him after the show with, "WTF was that!?" smacks either of "f-you all" from Keith or a slow descent into dementia.

It is a second's mistake, everybody can here it. Come on, we are human beings, who doesn't @#$%& up a thing here and there?? It could have been much worse, at least it is not play back... so you get reality and that means a mistake every now and then.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 16, 2013 00:10

CousinC
Well Gazza yeah, - but than why overdub this brilliant piece of art for the official release . . ?!

because they realised that the unwashed, uncultured masses wont 'get' this piece of avant-garde genius?

Date: September 16, 2013 00:12

ruchin
I kind of remember it for the 6th, but i was having too much fun seeing my favourite band for the first time to give a shit and totally forgot until i read the reviews.

Ditto. Never bothered me. It was a great gig. The panty-pissing on here over one fluffed chord (which I'd forgotten about five seconds later when he played the couple of bars that followed it) was bordering on hysterical.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 16, 2013 00:14

CousinC
why overdub this brilliant piece of art for the official release . . ?!

To give all the suckers all over the world something to keep nagging on about for a couple of years

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 16, 2013 01:09

Gazza
ruchin
I kind of remember it for the 6th, but i was having too much fun seeing my favourite band for the first time to give a shit and totally forgot until i read the reviews.

Ditto. Never bothered me. It was a great gig. The panty-pissing on here over one fluffed chord (which I'd forgotten about five seconds later when he played the couple of bars that followed it) was bordering on hysterical.

I'm with all the people who either missed it or immediately forgot it. I was too busy thinking "IT'S KEITH!!" to notice what he was playing at that exact moment, anyway. And the show just kept getting better, I had a great time. smiling smiley

P.S. I got a text from the official app today telling me it was being released and to order my copy today. Where in the US am I supposed to do that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-16 01:11 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 16, 2013 09:22

Has there ever been a Rolling Stones Concert without any mistake ...?
Has there ever been a Rolling Stones Album with the right tracks on ...?

Has there ever been a Rock 'N' Roll Band like the Rolling Stones ...?

50 And Counting ...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 16, 2013 11:46

HighwireC

50 And Counting ...

...hear, hear! smileys with beer

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 16, 2013 12:33

I don't think there's one fan who is mad or disappointed that Keith messed up this intro. It's Keith, he messes things up.
But it's just the time (first notes of a concert), place (highly anticipated show to be released on dvd) and frequency (twice) what makes it, well, weird.
And let's face it, SMU is not a Heitor Villa Lobos improvisation.

Maybe even weirder, is that certain people didn't even hear it.

Date: September 16, 2013 22:20

I don't think it's so much that we didn't hear it as that in the excitement of the moment we didn't notice it. For one thing, we didn't know what song they were opening with, so we wouldn't have known it was the wrong chord right away. For another thing we were, y'know, jumping up and down and making noise. *cough*

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 16, 2013 22:35

Aquamarine
For one thing, we didn't know what song they were opening with

I actually knew the first few songs about an hour before the show - someone walked past with the setlist, held it up and practically screamed "What do I do with this?!"

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 16, 2013 22:43

hot smileysmileys with beer
HighwireC

50 And Counting ...

smileys with beersmileys with beer
Jeroen

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: September 16, 2013 22:45

I can't be bothered to read through all the previous message here so apologies if it's already been covered, but...

Why take songs out of the running order on the DVD of the concert and then include them anyway as extras? Surely that makes no sense whatsoever. Are they worried that viewers' attention spans can't cope past 16 songs?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 16, 2013 23:33

treaclefingers
proudmary
Gazza
His Majesty
It was really odd how he wonked up the intro in much the same way on both nights though. grinning smiley

Someone on this forum during the ABB tour, in response to criticisms of Keith's playing, actually suggested in all seriousness that what people were actually hearing were innovative, jazz-inspired progressions from someone who had ascended to a level beyond that of a virtuoso which were so advanced that mere fans and other lesser musicians couldnt comprehend them. And that those who merely thought it was a bit of clumsiness from an old man with arthritis whose head may have been a bit befuddled with alcohol and/or medication were full of shit.

The fact that he was able to play this intro exactly the same way at both Hyde Park shows is making me question whether or not the lone nutcase in question was actually wrong.

thumbs up I like your writing style,Gazza. As for me I jumped and screamed out of my head up to the fourth song so I totally missed that notorious intro in real time

Well, messing up the intro for such an iconic song on the first night, what can one say? Odd, but hey, he's old.

To do the same thing the second night, AFTER everyone came to him after the show with, "WTF was that!?" smacks either of "f-you all" from Keith or a slow descent into dementia.

I'm pretty sure he did it on purpose the second night, especially since he took a long hard and dark look at the crowd (towards the T1 section) before starting to play. Keith's older but he can still hold a grudge and I don't think he was too pleased with the reaction to the missed chord on the 6th due to the scarf/wind ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 17, 2013 00:16

sjs12
I can't be bothered to read through all the previous message here so apologies if it's already been covered, but...

Why take songs out of the running order on the DVD of the concert and then include them anyway as extras? Surely that makes no sense whatsoever. Are they worried that viewers' attention spans can't cope past 16 songs?

They're extras in Japan. They must feel that two hours of music on a pricey multi-disc package is more than enough for the rest of the world .

Date: September 17, 2013 02:13

Bastion
Aquamarine
For one thing, we didn't know what song they were opening with

I actually knew the first few songs about an hour before the show - someone walked past with the setlist, held it up and practically screamed "What do I do with this?!"

Not me--that's cool, though! (This was a crewperson who didn't know what to do with the set list??) I prefer not to know, actually.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: September 17, 2013 03:50

sjs12

I love the way Jagger makes assumptions about our attention spans on our behalf.Couldn't they at least have a seamless branching option for the bonus tracks?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 17, 2013 09:26

gotdablouse
treaclefingers
proudmary
Gazza
His Majesty

I'm pretty sure he did it on purpose the second night, especially since he took a long hard and dark look at the crowd (towards the T1 section) before starting to play. Keith's older but he can still hold a grudge and I don't think he was too pleased with the reaction to the missed chord on the 6th due to the scarf/wind ;-)

OK then, so you think it was an "F-you all" from Keith. I don't doubt that either and it makes sense, certainly more sense than making the same mistake twice.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 17, 2013 09:26

proudmary
Gazza
His Majesty

Same here. But seemingly I'm getting old or being too spoiled by The Stones live shows (first in six years...eye rolling smiley), that I was sorted out already by the third number if I recall right, and started finally noticing what actually happens on the stage....

But there is a point in Gazza's saying. Probably Keith also here following his biggest hero, Chuck Berry, and this time, after being there and doing that all, taking the avantgarde route...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 09:29 by Doxa.

Date: September 17, 2013 10:01

I was laughing my head off during the intro on HP1. So was probably Keith grinning smiley

I'm pretty sure there was something wrong with the sound as well. His guitar was WAY too low out while playing the opening riff - or perhaps the sound guy knew he would wonk it up? winking smiley

Seriously, out of a 2 hr concert, a few mistakes shouldn't really matter, especially not with the Stones, a band that is notoriously known for making mistakes, also in the so-called golden era, on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 11:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 17, 2013 10:13

Of course everyone makes mistakes. But starts and ends are important. To screw up the intro riff is more noticeable than throwing in couple of mistakes in the middle. And then repeating the same mistake a week later...

Date: September 17, 2013 10:40

Stoneage
Of course everyone makes mistakes. But starts and ends are important. To screw up the intro riff is more noticeable than throwing in couple of mistakes in the middle. And then repeating the same mistake a week later...

Yeah it's just odd...mistakes are normal, singing out of key, missing timing, but fecking the intro to the same opening song on successive shows is strange.

My bet is a screw-up the first night and an, "F-YOU, I MEANT to do that the first time!", on the second night, after taking a bit of flack.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 17, 2013 10:53

HighwireC

50 And Counting ...

smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 17, 2013 11:02

treaclefingers
Stoneage

Yeah it's just odd...mistakes are normal, singing out of key, missing timing, but fecking the intro to the same opening song on successive shows is strange.

My bet is a screw-up the first night and an, "F-YOU, I MEANT to do that the first time!", on the second night, after taking a bit of flack.

He had an impressive string of encore-openings on the BB-tour as well. Almost without exceptions, the BS-intro was wonked up big time smiling smiley

Date: September 17, 2013 11:03

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Stoneage

He had an impressive string of encore-openings on the BB-tour as well. Almost without exceptions, the BS-intro was wonked up big time smiling smiley

Ain't it adorable though?

Date: September 17, 2013 15:33

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Stoneage

How many times does it have to be 'wonked up' before it gets re-classified as a 're-working' or 'new arrangement' ?

Date: September 17, 2013 15:42

Gazza
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Stoneage

How many times does it have to be 'wonked up' before it gets re-classified as a 're-working' or 'new arrangement' ?

It's free-jazz, Gaz smileys with beer

Date: September 17, 2013 17:13

DandelionPowderman
Gazza
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Stoneage

It's free-jazz, Gaz smileys with beer

Yes, only for the purists among us!

Posted by: steini ()
Date: September 17, 2013 19:20

I´ve heard a strong rumour that the Japanese version(the deluxe) includes Start Me Up without the correction, that is the original as was played in Hyde Park although it is not mentioned on the cover.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: September 17, 2013 19:28

You mean as bonus, or as the first track of the concert?
Seems very unlikely if you aks me (both choices).

Posted by: steini ()
Date: September 17, 2013 19:30

As opening bonus, first track.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 56

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home