Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Honky Tonk Woman
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: September 4, 2013 08:37

you know the start of Honky Tonk Woman when Keith picks the strings and he is just using one hand.

do you like it when he does the beginning part for a long time?I like it when he does that for a long time.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Re: Honky Tonk Woman
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 4, 2013 09:18

Yes. On one of the Anaheim shows from 1978, he did it for a little over a minute. That's a long time. Of course it depends on where Jagger is, stage-wise.

Date: September 4, 2013 09:51

Women...

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: September 4, 2013 10:49

yeah i love it when he done it during the Steel Wheels tour especially Live At The Max

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: September 4, 2013 11:07

No; short intro is better... just my opinion.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 4, 2013 13:41

this song should be 20 min jam,would be great,lot of singing and guitars blowing our minds,just dream

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 4, 2013 13:47

Best version I've seen was on ABB tour. On the B stage in Seattle. Motley Crue had opened & Ronnie was a little too "well adjusted". Keith did all the heavy lifting & I got full blast from his amp as the stage went by. One of the highlights of that tour for me.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 4, 2013 16:23

when he does that extended intro, it must be joy for him..he just loves the sound of that open G and that groove..
he just lets it settle in for awhile before launching the lick everyone's waiting for..

another pure Keith moment..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 4, 2013 17:09

DandelionPowderman
Women...

Blues...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 4, 2013 17:45

The intro riff and Charlie joining...21 times in Hampton 81, I think.
For me it´s a trademark and pillar of the Stones´ music.
It´s pure fascination that it grabs you just with it´s simplicity.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 4, 2013 17:51

TooTough
The intro riff and Charlie joining...21 times in Hampton 81, I think.
For me it´s a trademark and pillar of the Stones´ music.
It´s pure fascination that it grabs you just with it´s simplicity.

that's it..its like he wants it for himself for a little while..

I don't know of any other song he could do that with..just hang on the groove

with Charlie.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 4, 2013 18:33

On some of the 1981 shows he adds in some picking and some bluesy riffs...run and check them out...plus at Sun Devil Stadium they added about 5000 women and children to the riff...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 4, 2013 19:31

Not when he overdoes it. Not a fan of that. Sometimes it's just too long. Didn't like the SMU dragged out riff for B2B either.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: September 4, 2013 20:16

Although there may be quite a few better overall renditions of the song, I've always dug the combination of Fanfare for the Common Man and the extended intro to HTW on Love You Live.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 4, 2013 21:28

xke38
Although there may be quite a few better overall renditions of the song, I've always dug the combination of Fanfare for the Common Man and the extended intro to HTW on Love You Live.

the LOVE YOU LIVE version of HTW.

The excitement is total. This intro is their best ever. Brown Sugar was great as an opener in 1972 and 1973 but this is almost better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-04 21:29 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 4, 2013 23:31

Schoolkids singing naughty lyrics...but nice rendition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-04 23:33 by TooTough.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 4, 2013 23:48

I have never liked the live intro to HTW over the studio intro...it just cant be beat in my opinion but I did like the fact that they had two GUITAR lead breaks on the 75 tour instead of having to suffer through that awful piano break that's been there since 89. It makes the song too long. It's perfect in its single length format..

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 5, 2013 00:35

scottkeef
I have never liked the live intro to HTW over the studio intro...it just cant be beat in my opinion but I did like the fact that they had two GUITAR lead breaks on the 75 tour instead of having to suffer through that awful piano break that's been there since 89. It makes the song too long. It's perfect in its single length format..

I HATE the 1989- version with the awful disgusting piano solo. It is truly a low point and a sign of total crappy Vegas shite take on the song.

The 1975 and 1976 versions are really cool.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 5, 2013 06:59

On the recorded version he bends the G string from the A note to a B then he relives it back to A. Live, he just slides from B to A. I think it takes away from the feel of the recorded version.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 5, 2013 12:29

For some reason I like the drums to come in first, then the guitar (i.e. the studio version).

Problem with the long keith intro is that Mick Taylor first and Ronnie then felt the need to add unnecessary licks and riffs.

HTW, in my opinion should ALWAYS have:

cowbell > drums > Keith - second guitar tacet

opening lick played by two guitars (it was perfect in 69 and 75)

no bass during the first and second verse

Taylor's 69 fills

1 solo is enough (no second guitar / piano / sax solo is really needed). Yet, Ronnie's solos in the 75 leg were great stuff.

C

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 5, 2013 13:16

liddas
For some reason I like the drums to come in first, then the guitar (i.e. the studio version).

Problem with the long keith intro is that Mick Taylor first and Ronnie then felt the need to add unnecessary licks and riffs.

Taylor's 69 fills

1 solo is enough (no second guitar / piano / sax solo is really needed). Yet, Ronnie's solos in the 75 leg were great stuff.

C

I agree with pretty much all that. There are a gazillion live versions and covers of this song, but for some reason it seldom gets good when you deviate from the original arrangement too much.

One thing I think worked well was when Mick Taylor played a regular steady blues rhythm on top of Keith's intro at Brussels '73. But he didn't do that consistently. It comes in at 0.15 here. The intro is kinda short, though, and the drums enter in a lazy manner.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: September 7, 2013 06:59

I like it when he mixes it up and you don't know if the intros going to go on forever or just when he's going to cut it and go into the rest of the song. Always have thought this was the greatest intro to any song ever written (studio version) and the guitars on this tune are nothing short of magical. They really nailed it when they recorded the released version in my opinion and I wish they could have somehow kept up this level of work for a few more records atleast.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2013 07:48

liddas

Taylor's 69 fills

C

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure it works as well as an instrumental.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: September 7, 2013 21:48

i think keith draws out the intro for a long time sometimes just to irritate mick...

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: September 7, 2013 21:51

roundnround
i think keith draws out the intro for a long time sometimes just to irritate mick...

sometimes you hear Mick go "yeah" or "let's do it" or some noise as to go yeah come on Keith getting bit bored now lol

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 8, 2013 02:18

Charlie has NEVER captured the drumming live like he did on the studio version. 78' came closest.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: September 8, 2013 04:10

i like the long version of just the pullin the dgh strings...
its so simple...but building up n immense tension...
sometimes simplicity is the whole secret of awesomeness.

and have to add,...its his fookin riff,..maybe one of his best :d
and he knows it grinning smiley so he just enjoys it .

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-08 04:12 by TeleK.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 8, 2013 04:37

roundnround

I think he does it like that because it's the easiest thing he has to play on any given night; gives him a chance to rest his left hand--and for that matter his right hand as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home