Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Announcement tomorrow
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 3, 2013 23:08

corriecas
GumbootCloggeroo
Wasn't the Hyde Park concert recently available for sale in mp3 format? And now they're releasing it again but as a proper cd? Why?

Money Money money

What about the Ziggodome?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 3, 2013 23:13

There is bound to be a DVD of Hyde Park sooner or later - probably with the 1969 show as a bonus disc. I'd be surprised if all that lot is sorted out and ready for release already (and it's ideal pre-Christmas material) - so what's this early announcement about? Doubt if it's a physical Hyde Park CD so soon after the i-Tunes release, but you never know. Maybe it is something from the US shows.

Re: RS App: Big News Coming September 4
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 4, 2013 00:24

I just tried to listen to Hyde Park again.. the sound mix is unbearable and the performance lackluster. For the first time I am completely apathetic to a DVD release.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 4, 2013 05:05

I'vce been playing the Hyde Park release non-stop. It was a great performance when there, and sounds great on iTunes. Fabulous mix too. It's not Sept 4 here in the States yet, I expect the announcement will come on 4 September EDT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-04 05:06 by Woz.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: September 4, 2013 05:25

Green Lady
There is bound to be a DVD of Hyde Park sooner or later - probably with the 1969 show as a bonus disc.

With Abkco a part of the Universal collective that release could be done but, could we get so lucky.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 4, 2013 06:51

flacnvinyl
I just tried to listen to Hyde Park again.. the sound mix is unbearable and the performance lackluster. For the first time I am completely apathetic to a DVD release.

Woz
I'vce been playing the Hyde Park release non-stop. It was a great performance when there, and sounds great on iTunes. Fabulous mix too. It's not Sept 4 here in the States yet, I expect the announcement will come on 4 September EDT.

So which is it??

Posted by: nick ()
Date: September 4, 2013 07:16

It's both. You know where flacnvinyl is coming from in his name. Woz I bet has his whole music collection on his iPod, a handful of CD's and no vinyl. I thought Hyde Park was great until someone here mentioned the in your face mid range and he was right. I still like it but think the CD should eliminate that problem.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 4, 2013 07:29

An Official Release of All The Ramblers ?!?!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 4, 2013 07:57

schillid
An Official Release of All The Ramblers ?!?!

In a box set with all the Gimme Shelters from 72/73

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 4, 2013 08:05

a de Luxe version on long version of Tell Me is on it's way?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 4, 2013 08:08

Reasons why I have a difficult time enjoying the sound...

- Charlie's kit.. the snare has no top end, no crack. Just sounds like a loud thud. Cymbals, ride all seem buried.

- Guitars have NO low end. It sounds like everything below 400 was cut from the mix. Keith's riffs all sound thin but he is playing with tons of effort! It should sound great but instead sounds thin.

- Bass is way too loud in the mix. This is a popular mixing technique... thin guitars, fat bass. Unfortunately it ends up sounding boomy and muddy simultaneously. If you take an EQ and drop 250Hz by 1db, it helps but adversely effects the kick drum and guitars.

-Ambient sound... for such a huge concert the audience does not have that sound. The ambient mics do not give us a big sound spectrum but instead a narrow one. Way too mid-heavy as well. Also too dang loud at the wrong moments. Volume is used for effect to the detriment of the music. Ronnie's solo on Start Me Up is a prime example.

Compression. The whole dang recording has been over-compressed. Every channel, every bus, every effect and the mastering. There is no room for anything to groove. You only get to 'feel' the atmosphere between songs. During songs the dynamics follow the bass since it is mixed too loud. This means that Charlie, in the mix, plays second to Darryl. I respect Darryl greatly but he is way too loud on this.

Go listen to Light The Fuse... another great performance destroyed by this same style of mixing. Fat loud bass, thin shrill guitars.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 4, 2013 08:08

nick
It's both. You know where flacnvinyl is coming from in his name. Woz I bet has his whole music collection on his iPod, a handful of CD's and no vinyl. I thought Hyde Park was great until someone here mentioned the in your face mid range and he was right. I still like it but think the CD should eliminate that problem.

LOL, I don't have an iPod. All vinyl, CD and downloaded FLACS. He'll, I don't even know how to use iTunes. That said, the apple "lossless" files sound fine burned to cd and played on my stereo, especially compared to all the audience recordings I downloaded. Everything is relative. I flew to London for the shows and had a great time. Basically, I've been seeing these guys since '78 and endless negativity about the recent tour and anything the Stones do seems silly to me.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 4, 2013 09:38

nick

I have the CD files and the thing is it's sounding even worse to me. This kind of mixing technique is made for lossy files not for CD quality files IMO.

As pointed out Flacnvinyl, with such high level of dynamic range compression the groove is gone. Guitars are just lost in the mix. Even Jagger's voice seems distant. I don't get why they need to mix rock music this way.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: September 4, 2013 11:32

kowalski
nick

I have the CD files and the thing is it's sounding even worse to me. This kind of mixing technique is made for lossy files not for CD quality files IMO.

As pointed out Flacnvinyl, with such high level of dynamic range compression the groove is gone. Guitars are just lost in the mix. Even Jagger's voice seems distant. I don't get why they need to mix rock music this way.

The mixing people are obviously some young nerds who don't understand the music of the Stones at all. What I don't understand why the band does allow this to happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-04 11:33 by rollingon.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: September 4, 2013 11:45

rollingon
kowalski
nick

The mixing people are obviously some young nerds who don't understand the music of the Stones at all. What I don't understand why the band does allow this to happen.

I was at HP, actually chose a location where the sound was better on the account of visibility of the stage. The ITunes mix/release pretty much follows the actual sound that the crowd heard. I relay not only on my memory (I'm kind of a mixing freak - love to play with the mix controls in my stereo and listen to the same live recordings in the most different ways my system allows) but also on my personal clips I've taken as well as others on youtube. Sure, this is no science, and I cannot compete with the tendencies of people whom are much more audiophile than me, but for this specific live recording I really liked the fact they followed the actual live sound of that evening.

So - sure for many the mix might be a big miss of potential, but I feel that many who were actually at the show appreciate the ITunes download mix that preserves much of the sound and atmosphere. King of a really good bootleg. We all know how many complains there are out there for the "manipulated" classic live recordings such as 1969-MSG show or the Who's Woodstock selected bits (See Me, Feel Me, Sparks etc.).

The HP 2013 download is a great live recording, not too manipulated by back office technicians ( well... apart from the "Sampling" they had to do for the SMU intro...eye rolling smiley ). I really like it. I think that if they would produce a remastered clean version of HP 2013 I would still stick to the current one.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: September 4, 2013 12:32

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 4, 2013 12:51

maybe they will announce that they will announce it tomorrow?

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: September 4, 2013 13:03

I enjoyed the release at hyde park but I think Drake nailed it according to his post

Go Dawgs!

Date: September 4, 2013 13:13

hockenheim95

They did that yesterday grinning smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 4, 2013 13:15

hockenheim95

Patience. It's now 11:15am in London. They have still time until 5:00pm .....

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: September 4, 2013 13:23

Hang tight - Keith's not up yet.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 4, 2013 14:19

Twitter and Facebook are building up to a Hyde Park DVD announcement I'm sure. winking smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 4, 2013 15:21

Nah ! Nothing's happening.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 4, 2013 15:52

Is Everybody Ready ???

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: basti ()
Date: September 4, 2013 15:56

Yesssssss

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: September 4, 2013 15:58

I was born ready

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 4, 2013 16:00

BTW, is a possible Hyde Park DVD...."BIG" news?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 4, 2013 16:01

Everybody seems to be ready...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 4, 2013 16:03

Wroclaw
rollingon
kowalski
nick

I was at HP, actually chose a location where the sound was better on the account of visibility of the stage. The ITunes mix/release pretty much follows the actual sound that the crowd heard. I relay not only on my memory (I'm kind of a mixing freak - love to play with the mix controls in my stereo and listen to the same live recordings in the most different ways my system allows) but also on my personal clips I've taken as well as others on youtube. Sure, this is no science, and I cannot compete with the tendencies of people whom are much more audiophile than me, but for this specific live recording I really liked the fact they followed the actual live sound of that evening.

So - sure for many the mix might be a big miss of potential, but I feel that many who were actually at the show appreciate the ITunes download mix that preserves much of the sound and atmosphere. King of a really good bootleg. We all know how many complains there are out there for the "manipulated" classic live recordings such as 1969-MSG show or the Who's Woodstock selected bits (See Me, Feel Me, Sparks etc.).

The HP 2013 download is a great live recording, not too manipulated by back office technicians ( well... apart from the "Sampling" they had to do for the SMU intro...eye rolling smiley ). I really like it. I think that if they would produce a remastered clean version of HP 2013 I would still stick to the current one.

I think you're right about the iTunes release matching the concert sound. That's a trend I've noticed for concerts sound : it's just getting louder and louder. So I guess the sound is compressed during the concert too.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 4, 2013 16:08

Harm
BTW, is a possible Hyde Park DVD...."BIG" news?

Big news would be: "Mick Taylor rejoins the band" ...

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home