Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Black And Blue Underrated
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 4, 2013 09:36

ROCKMAN

Date: September 4, 2013 09:50

CanYouHearTheMusic
DandelionPowderman
<Does it have more variety by far than the often monochromatic (and slightly, if only slightly, overrated Some Girls)? Yes.>

Black And Blue is a great album, with a good collection of different songs WITHIN a context: Black music.

Some Girls is also a great album, with a remarkable collection of different songs WITHIN a context: New York.

Monochromatic?
Pop, funk/disco, country, blues, pop rock, rock'n'roll, new wave. How much more diverse can it actually get?...

While I see what you're saying here, I respectfully disagree. Other than the fluke of the excellent, disco-influenced (but ROCK, through and through! that's not a disco song at all but a ROCK song with 4 on the floor drums) "Miss You" and the country parody "Far Away Eyes" and the slow-burner "Beast Of Burden," the other 7 songs tend to often sound quite samey to my ears. "Lies" and "Respectable" are totally redundant on the same album. I prefer "Respectable;" "Lies" should've been left on the cutting room floor and is almost an identical song. Plus, for me anyway, having the first 4 out of 5 songs on side 1 all be in A was/is a really dumb decision. It's like "ANOTHER one that sounds the same?! REALLY?!" Don't get me wrong--I love Some Girls, but I prefer the predecessor *and* the way more adventurous follow-up (though I hate "Indian Girl," it's terrible!). Although there may have been influences like punk, new wave, etc. etc. over all the album largely sounds too similar. It'd still make my top 10 though for sure, but behind Black & Blue, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You, all more enjoyable (if not "better" per se, since it's all to taste and even I can admit that Black & Blue is, as you put it later in this thread, all bout groove and feel but not necessarily about heavyweight songwriting) albums for me.

I see what you're saying as well, but I simply can't put Some Girls, Before They Make Me Run, Imagination and Shattered in the same "fast rock"-bag as When The Whip Comes Down, Lies and Respectable. The songs are too diverse for that. SG is a slow country blues, BTMMR is a catchy pop tune, really - and Shattered is a groove that plays with the phenomenon of the time: new wave.

So, musically the album is quite versatile. Miss You has four on the floor, sure, but it also has "disco bass" and is heavily dominated by falsetto-singing - so it surely is borderline disco, albeit with the Stones's rock stamp.

Date: September 4, 2013 14:32

svt22
DandelionPowderman
Not spam, just good music grinning smiley

This was very impressive when we were 12, remember ? drinking smiley
Anyways, I file it under spam, besides this is a B&B thread. Black & Blue has more soul to offer, a bit more timeless imo.

You listened to good soul music when you were 12? Not bad smiling smiley

I was very impressed with extended guitar solos at that age myself

drinking smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 4, 2013 19:11

black and blue is ok, nothing more.

not enough songs and some weak efforts.

good sound quality to the album, if it had another 2 or 3 decent songs on it, it would have been regarded as up there with the likes of some girls, goats head soup or a bigger bang.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 4, 2013 19:55

GREAT album

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 4, 2013 23:57

MIckboys "From Rags To Excess" line-up:

side a: Hot Stuff/Hand Of Fate/Cherry Oh Baby/Slave/Crazy Mama

side b: Hey Negrita/Melody/Fool To Cry/Act Together(instr)/Memory Motel

flows rather nicely but that's just me...

Date: September 5, 2013 00:42

DandelionPowderman
CanYouHearTheMusic
DandelionPowderman
<Does it have more variety by far than the often monochromatic (and slightly, if only slightly, overrated Some Girls)? Yes.>

Black And Blue is a great album, with a good collection of different songs WITHIN a context: Black music.

Some Girls is also a great album, with a remarkable collection of different songs WITHIN a context: New York.

Monochromatic?
Pop, funk/disco, country, blues, pop rock, rock'n'roll, new wave. How much more diverse can it actually get?...

While I see what you're saying here, I respectfully disagree. Other than the fluke of the excellent, disco-influenced (but ROCK, through and through! that's not a disco song at all but a ROCK song with 4 on the floor drums) "Miss You" and the country parody "Far Away Eyes" and the slow-burner "Beast Of Burden," the other 7 songs tend to often sound quite samey to my ears. "Lies" and "Respectable" are totally redundant on the same album. I prefer "Respectable;" "Lies" should've been left on the cutting room floor and is almost an identical song. Plus, for me anyway, having the first 4 out of 5 songs on side 1 all be in A was/is a really dumb decision. It's like "ANOTHER one that sounds the same?! REALLY?!" Don't get me wrong--I love Some Girls, but I prefer the predecessor *and* the way more adventurous follow-up (though I hate "Indian Girl," it's terrible!). Although there may have been influences like punk, new wave, etc. etc. over all the album largely sounds too similar. It'd still make my top 10 though for sure, but behind Black & Blue, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You, all more enjoyable (if not "better" per se, since it's all to taste and even I can admit that Black & Blue is, as you put it later in this thread, all bout groove and feel but not necessarily about heavyweight songwriting) albums for me.

I see what you're saying as well, but I simply can't put Some Girls, Before They Make Me Run, Imagination and Shattered in the same "fast rock"-bag as When The Whip Comes Down, Lies and Respectable. The songs are too diverse for that. SG is a slow country blues, BTMMR is a catchy pop tune, really - and Shattered is a groove that plays with the phenomenon of the time: new wave.

So, musically the album is quite versatile. Miss You has four on the floor, sure, but it also has "disco bass" and is heavily dominated by falsetto-singing - so it surely is borderline disco, albeit with the Stones's rock stamp.

Totally. I definitely don't think all those songs sound like fast rock, although I do think "Shattered" sounds more fast rock (with a GREAT groove) than new wave but ya know, we all hear different things. "Some Girls" is definitely quite different, tempo-wise, I just think I don't really care for the sequencing of the album (and "Lies" in general) as the main problem with it for me. You're right that "Imagination" and "Some Girls" have different feels than "Miss You" and "Whip" but they're all in the same key with exactly the same guitar tone and instrumentation on every song. I think that's what makes it feel samey for me, but nevertheless I LOVE the album all the same! smileys with beer

Date: September 5, 2013 01:51

The key and the instrumentation are good points indeed smileys with beer

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 5, 2013 05:25

In a perfect world, the Stones would have released "Hot Stuff" b/w "Worried About You" as a single during the '75 TOTA.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1038
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home