Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Black And Blue Underrated
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 2, 2013 19:11

Rokyfan
Silver Dagger
It's a fantastic album and possibly their best sounding one of the 70s sonically speaking, or at least up there with Sticky Fingers.

I have only great memories of listening to it in that hot summer of 76....staying out late, getting blasted with groovy chicks, seeing the Stones 6 times and having that album as the soundtrack as the summer months gave way to punk.

Here's my rating.

Hot Stuff - 10/10
Hand of Fate - 10/10
Cherry Oh Baby 8/10
Memory Motel - 10/10
Hey Negrita - 9/10
Melody 8/10
Fool To Cry - 8/10
Crazy Mama - 9/10

And yep, I don't mind Cherry Oh Baby. It's loose, sloppy and makes you want to sing along with it.

My God, where do you go for numbers for songs like Gimmee Shelter, JJF, Let it Loose, on and on, dozens and dozens of Stones songs that wipe the floor with any of these except for Memory Motel?

Hot Stuff is a nice riff. I dig it, turn it up when it comes on. It's not in the same conversation with dozens of great Stones songs, classics and unknowns. 10 out of 10??? Are you kidding???

Not at all. It's a different Stones on this album. I'd be bored if they churned out typical Stones sounding songs all the time. This was a breath of fresh air when it came.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 2, 2013 20:57

CanYouHearTheMusic
I know I'll get flak for saying this, but I vastly prefer it to Some Girls. Is it more uneven? Yes! Does it have more variety by far than the often monochromatic (and slightly, if only slightly, overrated Some Girls)? Yes.

I'm all for variety if the songs are good to begin with. Black and Blue ranks highly on style, but a lot lower on actual substance. Hot Stuff and Hey Negrita are fine grooves - they're just pretty lightweight (albeit quite enjoyable) songs. Crazy Mama is a solid rocker - but sounds more like the Stones imitating The Faces imitating the Stones.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 2, 2013 22:06

DandelionPowderman

Black And Blue is a great album, with a good collection of different songs WITHIN a context: Black music.

So, you're pigeon-holing Black and Blue as being within the context of 'Black Music'. Music and culture is way too complex to bring a 'race' into it. After all, what would you perceive to be 'White Music', exactly?

Black and Blue is heavily influenced by reggae, West-Indian music.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 2, 2013 22:10

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

Black And Blue is a great album, with a good collection of different songs WITHIN a context: Black music.

So, you're pigeon-holing Black and Blue as being within the context of 'Black Music'. Music and culture is way too complex to bring a 'race' into it. After all, what would you perceive to be 'White Music', exactly?

White music? Jim Reeves...

Date: September 2, 2013 22:23

Munichhilton
West-Indian music.

White music? Jim Reeves...[/quote]

Well, that's my point. Yes, he probaly has a large white audience, but you wouldn't pigeon-hole it as 'white music'

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 2, 2013 22:57

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

White music: Heavy Metal and Industrial music. ( i hate both)

Date: September 2, 2013 23:46

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

As well as by funk, soul, jazz, blues and rhythm and blues.

I think you know what I mean with the term. It´s musical, not racial.

Date: September 2, 2013 23:49

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, I do tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 2, 2013 23:51

DandelionPowderman
Big Al
DandelionPowderman

As in the Stones were the blackest sounding of all the UK and even US r'n'n bands. Actually they carried that right on.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-03 09:59 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 3, 2013 00:33

I know there are a lot of folks on here that don't dig "Mickboy's" stuff(and I don't believe everything he's done is gold) but his "From Rags To Excess" with the "tuned up" track listing( using the instrumental "Act Together" and "Slave')show how it could have been a really nice record...

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 3, 2013 02:26

Great album. Like GHS

Date: September 3, 2013 11:40

The caribbean swing on some of the tracks (HS, HN, COcool smiley makes this album quite unique. It suits the Stones well, imo.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: September 3, 2013 11:45

DandelionPowderman
The caribbean swing on some of the tracks (HS, HN, COcool smiley makes this album quite unique. It suits the Stones well, imo.

Agree, it is a different album from the Stones, and it suits the Stones from that era very well....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 3, 2013 12:10

ROCKMAN

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: September 3, 2013 12:46

Rockman

Yeah, I remember those days very well... nationalism and patriotism sucks. A black day in English (music) history.

Date: September 3, 2013 13:18

svt22
Rockman

Yeah, I remember those days very well... nationalism and patriotism sucks. A black day in English music history.

That the Faces broke up? Indeed! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-03 13:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 3, 2013 13:56

No, I was referring to Keith's forgetful and narrow-minded remark. Great album btw, Black and Blue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-03 13:57 by svt22.

Date: September 3, 2013 14:01

svt22
No, I was referring to Keith's forgetful and narrow-minded remark. Great album btw, Black and Blue.

It was a band decision, not Keith's.

Date: September 3, 2013 14:09

That makes it even worse then. cool smiley

Date: September 3, 2013 14:11

Why? I'm sure even Taylor was happy that his friend, Ronnie - whom he already had recorded with, got the job grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-03 14:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 3, 2013 14:19

I'm not talking on Taylor's behalf, but my own.

Date: September 3, 2013 14:26

Musically, it had to be Ronnie..

Date: September 3, 2013 16:22

No more spam please, DP. grinning smiley

Date: September 3, 2013 16:50

Not spam, just good music grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2013 17:01

Silver Dagger
His Majesty
Hot Stuff is awful.

I can remember clearly the first time I played Black and Blue, hearing that first horrible guitar.

Gadz.

You don't like the funk?

personally, can't get enuff!

Date: September 3, 2013 18:04

DandelionPowderman
Not spam, just good music grinning smiley

This was very impressive when we were 12, remember ? drinking smiley
Anyways, I file it under spam, besides this is a B&B thread. Black & Blue has more soul to offer, a bit more timeless imo.

Date: September 3, 2013 18:53

The decision to go for Ronnie is of course far fetched in a BAB thread...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 3, 2013 20:42

Gazza
CanYouHearTheMusic
I know I'll get flak for saying this, but I vastly prefer it to Some Girls. Is it more uneven? Yes! Does it have more variety by far than the often monochromatic (and slightly, if only slightly, overrated Some Girls)? Yes.

I'm all for variety if the songs are good to begin with. Black and Blue ranks highly on style, but a lot lower on actual substance. Hot Stuff and Hey Negrita are fine grooves - they're just pretty lightweight (albeit quite enjoyable) songs. Crazy Mama is a solid rocker - but sounds more like the Stones imitating The Faces imitating the Stones.

So that would be a GREAT imitation then right!!?? A triple imitation is better than a double!

Date: September 4, 2013 07:59

DandelionPowderman
<Does it have more variety by far than the often monochromatic (and slightly, if only slightly, overrated Some Girls)? Yes.>

Some Girls is also a great album, with a remarkable collection of different songs WITHIN a context: New York.

Monochromatic?
Pop, funk/disco, country, blues, pop rock, rock'n'roll, new wave. How much more diverse can it actually get?...

While I see what you're saying here, I respectfully disagree. Other than the fluke of the excellent, disco-influenced (but ROCK, through and through! that's not a disco song at all but a ROCK song with 4 on the floor drums) "Miss You" and the country parody "Far Away Eyes" and the slow-burner "Beast Of Burden," the other 7 songs tend to often sound quite samey to my ears. "Lies" and "Respectable" are totally redundant on the same album. I prefer "Respectable;" "Lies" should've been left on the cutting room floor and is almost an identical song. Plus, for me anyway, having the first 4 out of 5 songs on side 1 all be in A was/is a really dumb decision. It's like "ANOTHER one that sounds the same?! REALLY?!" Don't get me wrong--I love Some Girls, but I prefer the predecessor *and* the way more adventurous follow-up (though I hate "Indian Girl," it's terrible!). Although there may have been influences like punk, new wave, etc. etc. over all the album largely sounds too similar. It'd still make my top 10 though for sure, but behind Black & Blue, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You, all more enjoyable (if not "better" per se, since it's all to taste and even I can admit that Black & Blue is, as you put it later in this thread, all bout groove and feel but not necessarily about heavyweight songwriting) albums for me.

Date: September 4, 2013 08:01

leatherjacket
the only underrated album is Dirty Work which is much better than what you usually read on iorr. B&B is for a lot of none Stones fan pretty well known and be loved.

Dirty Work rules! smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1471
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home