Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Brad Paisley on the Stones
Date: September 1, 2013 13:04

BowieStone
Of course George Jones was one of a kind.
But to me you don't have to live it before you can sing it.
A good singer is like a good actor.

To me artists like Toby Keith or Jimmy Buffett are the ones to blame.
They make the genre a laughing stock, while others (I already mentioned) truly mean it.

i wouldn't even call jimmy buffet country. he has been around 40+ years but country music hasn't been on the downslide for 40+ years. i always called him easy listening beach music. its easy to blame toby keith but he started out pure country with songs like "who's that man", "does the blue moon ever shine on you" and "dream walkin". are you familiar with those tunes? in the late 90's when toby keith became a bafoon he was just copying the already redneck retard anthem style that country music had become.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 13:06 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 1, 2013 16:13

BowieStone
Maybe you shouldn't be prejudiced by calling it phony. And start from there.

There's a lot of very enjoyable country'pop'.
Pistol Annies are great, So are the solo albums of Miranda Lambert & Ashley Monroe.
Kacey Musgraves is an up and coming talent.
Jamey Johnson is utterly fantastic.
Hell, if you listen to Taylor Swift without any prejudice...great songs man. They really are.
Brad is a great guitar player (although I'm not a big fan of his albums). Same thing goes for Keith Urban.
The old 'hat-acts' are still doing great: like the almighty George Strait (but he is in a league of his own). Alan Jackson is still very enjoyable.
Are you familiar with Kasey Chambers? Quite wonderful.

Date: September 1, 2013 16:19

Merle Haggard wears a hat but not a cowboy one. Follically challenged, as many of us are. Of course at this point I think he transcends the country label. A true American treasure. I think him & Keith get along well. Wish they would've had him as a guest last tour. Have seen him several times. Would've been cool to see the show he opened on ABB tour.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 1, 2013 16:31

crholmstrom
BowieStone

Pistol Annies are great, So are the solo albums of Miranda Lambert & Ashley Monroe.
Hell, if you listen to Taylor Swift without any prejudice...great songs man. They really are.
Brad is a great guitar player (although I'm not a big fan of his albums). Same thing goes for Keith Urban.
The old 'hat-acts' are still doing great: like the almighty George Strait (but he is in a league of his own). Alan Jackson is still very enjoyable.

She's Australian. Apparently that's not allowed.
I hope she doesn't sing with a southern accent.

(I'll check her out. Thanks for the tip)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 16:46 by BowieStone.

Date: September 1, 2013 16:38

keefriffhard4life
BowieStone

They make the genre a laughing stock, while others (I already mentioned) truly mean it.

i wouldn't even call jimmy buffet country. he has been around 40+ years but country music hasn't been on the downslide for 40+ years. i always called him easy listening beach music. its easy to blame toby keith but he started out pure country with songs like "who's that man", "does the blue moon ever shine on you" and "dream walkin". are you familiar with those tunes? in the late 90's when toby keith became a bafoon he was just copying the already redneck retard anthem style that country music had become.

Jimmy Buffett might not be country for you, but he gives country a bad name all over the world.

Toby Keith, no I don't know those songs. And you've got to excuse me that I'm not really looking forward to digging into a guys oeuvre who once made 'Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)'.
No, his music is a disgrace to mankind. He might have started out ok, but nobody with a little bit of talent gets this bad.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 1, 2013 17:46

Derek Brad

Putting aside the hat/no hat, new country/old country palaver, here are some things Brad Paisley said about the Rolling Stones in his "Talks at Google" interview:

"They're the consummate sort of jam band. They're really all about getting up there and playing music and bringing it."

"I'm influenced by some of the same people they are. They actually have a very heavy country base. They were a great country band when they wanted to be on certain songs.”

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 1, 2013 17:55

keefriffhard4life
BowieStone
Keith Urban & Taylor Swift do not have a southern accent.
They don't wear hats either. So all is fine.
Country isn't restricted to the South, of course.
But if you're not from Texas, indeed, don't imitate the accent.

and thats why most of these newer country acts sound nothing like country. because they aren't from the south and are simply imitating a style of music to make money. when george jones sang you felt every word of it because he lived it all.

Couldn't you make that argument about the Stones and blues/R&B?

Date: September 1, 2013 19:19

BowieStone
keefriffhard4life
BowieStone

Jimmy Buffett might not be country for you, but he gives country a bad name all over the world.

Toby Keith, no I don't know those songs. And you've got to excuse me that I'm not really looking forward to digging into a guys oeuvre who once made 'Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)'.
No, his music is a disgrace to mankind. He might have started out ok, but nobody with a little bit of talent gets this bad.

you will thank me a ton once you click on this song:

Date: September 1, 2013 19:21

Gazza
keefriffhard4life
BowieStone

and thats why most of these newer country acts sound nothing like country. because they aren't from the south and are simply imitating a style of music to make money. when george jones sang you felt every word of it because he lived it all.

no i don't think its the same thing. once the stones became rich though in the late 70's/early 80's you can easily argue that they haven't been able to capture the blues/rock spirit because they became rich

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 1, 2013 19:33

keefriffhard4life
BowieStone
keefriffhard4life
BowieStone

awful...as corny as Streets of Love

Date: September 1, 2013 19:39

Rip This
keefriffhard4life
BowieStone
keefriffhard4life
BowieStone

awful...as corny as Streets of Love

well lets compare.
his early good country stuff:

his newer redneck anthem stuff:

which is better? hard to believe its even the same guy

Date: September 1, 2013 20:07

Clearly wanted a piece of the pie after the huge Garth Brooks successes (who did this kind of schmaltz a lot better. I actually think Garth Brooks has a nice back catalogue...but that's another discussion).

But I get your point...he wasn't always this irritating, on people's emotions capitalizing 'angry american'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-02 09:42 by bv.

Date: September 2, 2013 01:31

and i believe that song was originally written and released in 1988 on an indie label which is before garth brooks was a star then re-recorded in the mid 90's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-02 09:43 by bv.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 2, 2013 03:18

is there any transcript of Brad's remarks. YouTube is disallowed on my network at work.

Or can someone summarize what he said?

plexi

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: September 2, 2013 03:55

BowieStone

You lost me at Taylor Swift.

Where is the "country" in Trouble?

Date: September 2, 2013 13:11

BowieStone
crholmstrom
BowieStone

She's Australian. Apparently that's not allowed.
I hope she doesn't sing with a southern accent.

(I'll check her out. Thanks for the tip)

I discovered her in a Quantas airline magazine on a trip downunder about the time her first record was our. Have seen her a few times. Very talented.

Date: September 2, 2013 13:46

for some really terrible country like taylor swift check out these tool bags:
brantley gilbert
kip moore
eric church
luke bryan
lee brice
juston moore
jake owen
dustin lynch
the band perry
dierks bentley
jason aldean
thompson square
lady antebellum
florida georgia line
sugarland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-02 13:47 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 2, 2013 16:20

Dwight Yoakum...

Brad Paisley...

Waylon and Willie...

Patsy Cline...

Loretta Lynn...

That's all you really need.

Date: September 2, 2013 16:21

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 2, 2013 16:25

Vince, Keith, Brad tribute to Glen Campbell, 2011 CMA show.

CMA Awards Video

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 2, 2013 17:20

Gazza
keefriffhard4life
BowieStone

Absolutely NOT!

that hits too close to home.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 2, 2013 17:21

JimmyTheSaint
BowieStone

hey, were you never a 12 year old girl?

Date: September 2, 2013 17:22

treaclefingers
JimmyTheSaint
BowieStone

hey, were you never a 12 year old girl?

I smell T-R-O-U-B-L-E

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 2, 2013 18:00

timbernardis
can someone summarize what he said?

plexi

he said something about being in the basement with a girl while you were at the Kentucky Derby in a fancy car.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 2, 2013 21:05

sad smiley The day that country music jumped the shark, boot scooted, flopped around, and died a horrible death.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 2, 2013 21:27

Be warned all. The clip 24FPS posted is hazardous to your heath! However, I would not say the song posted was a death knell to country music. it's just an incredible bad example of it. There are crap songs in every musical genre...

Date: September 2, 2013 22:09

Dale Watson is still making incredibly good country music...you just gotta look around to find the real deal these days...Cyrus certainly sent Nashville down a crappy road though...

C = country
M = my
A = ass

Awards

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 3, 2013 09:26

keefriffhard4life
for some really terrible country like taylor swift check out these tool bags:
brantley gilbert
kip moore
eric church
luke bryan
lee brice
juston moore
jake owen
dustin lynch
the band perry
dierks bentley
jason aldean
thompson square
lady antebellum
florida georgia line
sugarland

now, now, I like lady antebellum & some occasional taylor swift, but know nothing about the others. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 3, 2013 09:33

Brad really needs a say-something hat if he's going to wear one. This looks like a K-Mart special. Remember the 10-gallon white hat the cop pictured behind Lee Harvey Oswald wore the fateful day Oswald was shot after JFK's assassination? Hat made him famous! winking smiley

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: September 3, 2013 09:51

Tea-time or rock-time doesn´t matter to sir Mick. It´s quite impressive in that first picture how he has full control over his little finger...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home