Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who played single note guitar part on studio 'Get Off My Cloud?
Posted by: Fullerblindboy69 ()
Date: August 28, 2013 04:49

Brian or Keith? Have alway's wondered about this, listened to the song today and thought someone here would know. The other guitar part (rhythm chords) is SO powerful!

Re: Who played single note guitar part on studio 'Get Off My Cloud?
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: August 28, 2013 05:07

I always thought Brian as the rhythm playing seems all Keith and that lick is a similar type of thing to whatBrian did with "The Last Time" although nowhere near as pronounced.

Pretty heavy handed playing by that chord thrashing heading into the chorus. I think Townshend may owe a little more to Keith than his famed windmill action.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 28, 2013 05:17

Brian playing 12 string Rickenbacker.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 28, 2013 07:59

It's always Keith if it rock.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 28, 2013 18:02

Come On
It's always Keith if it rock.

Its not Keith. It's Brian like His Majesty says.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: August 28, 2013 18:11

yes, I've wondered this too. The 12 string makes sense because there's a certain twang to it. Wish we had a good live video of Brian playing it.

Date: August 28, 2013 18:41

During The Bigger Bang tour Keith was doing the single note licks. He was playing the lick on the second string along with an open E to get that 12 string effect.. During the 50th anniversary shows. keith did The Rhythm chords and Ronnie played Brians parts on a 12 string.

Date: August 28, 2013 18:48

It's only miming, but we see round 1:15 that it is indeed Brian's part:

Date: August 28, 2013 19:05

Here is wide stereo version. You can everything.

Date: August 29, 2013 18:51

Wonderfully raucous noise live with some additional lead bits by Brian on 12 string. The combination of Keith's guitar and Bill's bass is like a sonic juggernaut.

Dig the bars right before Mick starts singing Yesterdays Papers, Bill's grooving bassline and Keith's ace slashing chords. smoking smiley

Charlie only had one overhead mic on his kit, he must have been walloping those drums real hard. hot smiley

@#$%& ace band! The real deal! >grinning smiley<

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 19:09 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 29, 2013 19:01

Man I wish we had the complete 1967 concerts in high def for our viewing pleasure...smoking smiley

Date: August 29, 2013 19:08

2000 LYFH
Man I wish we had the complete 1967 concerts in high def for our viewing pleasure...smoking smiley

Oh yes! Paris Olympia especially!

Frustrating to know that there are some filmed Olympia performances of others from around that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 19:33 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 29, 2013 23:09

We need a proper live album from the 60s, covering the beginning to 1967. There are so many gems just buried under their 60s image. Im thinking more DOncha bother me, Rooster, LAst time, PIB etc

Date: August 29, 2013 23:16

They played Dontcha Bother Me live?

PIB live in 1966 is ace, Brian's off beat stabbing distored rhythm guitar which is similar to the acoustic on the studio version. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-30 00:33 by His Majesty.

Date: August 30, 2013 00:12

And Keith's guitar is very different as well.

Date: August 30, 2013 00:37

DandelionPowderman
And Keith's guitar is very different as well.

Oh yes, more ace! thumbs up

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: August 30, 2013 11:34

Man, would have loved to see them back in the early 60s in some Gaumont theatre. Rough and pure, no real light show, no PA, Amps sitting on a chair with Mick singing through the in house sound system.That's the real deal.

Date: August 30, 2013 11:48

Sorry I'm lost. Who's playing the riff on PIB Hawaii? I thought Brian played it on the studio version on sitar yes?

Just that your comment "Brian's off beat stabbing distored rhythm guitar" His Majesty leads me to think Brian's on rhythm therefore Keith riffing?

Date: August 30, 2013 11:53

OzHeavyThrobber
Sorry I'm lost. Who's playing the riff on PIB Hawaii? I thought Brian played it on the studio version on sitar yes?

Just that your comment "Brian's off beat stabbing distored rhythm guitar" His Majesty leads me to think Brian's on rhythm therefore Keith riffing?

Keith, but it's hard to tell whether both are playing the riff, because of the recording quality. The off-beat thing is more evident before the riffs.

If memory serves, there is an electric guitar underneath the sitar in the mix, playing the riff on the studio version as well? If so, that's probably Keith.

Date: August 30, 2013 11:55

OzHeavyThrobber

Keith is picking out the melody from chords he's playing and Brian is playing the stabbing chords.

Keith plays, in a more restrained and tidier way, much the same on the studio version, I think it's fair to assume Brian plays one of the acoustics doing the stabbing rhythm on the record as well as sitar.

smiling smiley

Date: August 30, 2013 11:58

DandelionPowderman

Keith, but it's hard to tell whether both are playing the riff, because of the recording quality. The off-beat thing is more evident before the riffs.

If memory serves, there is an electric guitar underneath the sitar in the mix, playing the riff on the studio version as well? If so, that's probably Keith.

The stabbing guitar continues during the verses.

On the record it's kinda more a case of the sitar being below the clean electric guitar Only really playing the basic melody during verses and nothing during the chorus. The clean electric plays all the way through.

Date: August 30, 2013 12:03

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

The stabbing guitar continues during the verses.

On the record it's kinda more a case of the sitar being below the clean electric guitar Only really playing the basic melody during verses and nothing during the chorus. The clean electric plays all the way through.

You may be right about the studio version, although I think it's mixed pretty well, so you won't hear it so clear throughout.

I've never heard a live version with the "stabbing" all the way through, though.

Date: August 30, 2013 12:04

DandelionPowderman

I've never heard a live version with the "stabbing" all the way through, though.

Aside from the obvious break in the middle, the one I posted has it. grinning smiley

They are essentially following the studio version minus the sitar, so Brian is playing the stabbing rhythm, off beat during verses to on and off the beat during chorus.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-30 12:11 by His Majesty.

Date: August 30, 2013 12:14

Yes I see and thanks for the explanation fellas.

PIB sounded raw and exciting and Charlie sounds as tho he'd just snorted meth as the opening riff was being played given the timing diff between it and the drums coming in hahaha. Great stuff!

Be brilliant to have a triple cd come out of their stage work from 63-67. We can live in hope smoking smiley

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 30, 2013 13:02

His Majesty
I think it's fair to assume Brian plays one of the acoustics doing the stabbing rhythm on the record as well as sitar.

Yes, according to Bill´s "Rolling With The Stones", Brian plays acoustic guitar as well as sitar (with Keith on electric guitar) on the studio recording of Paint It Black.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-30 13:03 by rootsman.

Date: August 30, 2013 13:09

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Aside from the obvious break in the middle, the one I posted has it. grinning smiley

They are essentially following the studio version minus the sitar, so Brian is playing the stabbing rhythm, off beat during verses to on and off the beat during chorus.

And in the ending? I hear triads there. Well, they're sort of stabbings as well grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-30 13:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 30, 2013 13:10

rootsman
His Majesty
I think it's fair to assume Brian plays one of the acoustics doing the stabbing rhythm on the record as well as sitar.

Yes, according to Bill´s "Rolling With The Stones", Brian plays acoustic guitar as well as sitar (with Keith on electric guitar) on the studio recording of Paint It Black.

There are two on the record, Keith probably plays the other one which is kinda supporting the melody.

Date: August 30, 2013 13:11

DandelionPowderman

And in the ending?

You got it. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-30 13:16 by His Majesty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home