Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: the VMAs
Posted by: Torres ()
Date: August 26, 2013 20:30

NoCode0680
Torres
NoCode0680
UnionHall
Ok, i just went to the link posted by aquamarine, as i did not watch the awards show. All I can say is what the hell? This is what music has come to? When I was younger all I listened to was rock, buat as I aged I began to appreciate music of all eras, including the music my parents listened to. I began to appreciate music as an art form, the complexity of melody and chord sequence. The interplay of the instruments either in sync with each other or playing counter melodies. But good gosh, how can this crap qualify as an art form? I realize I only saw the sample from the link, but I couldn't finish watching it because I felt it was an insult to all the talented artists who through the years have created music that WILL last forever.

Yeah, but there has always been shitty music. You can't judge all music today, or assume this is what it has come to, by some publicity stunt on the VMAs. We tend to just remember the good stuff over time. When I think back of the music of my teenage years in the 90's I remember Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots and all that. Not Spice Girls, Hanson and the Macarena. I don't think music is particularly great these days, but Miley's publicity stunt doesn't represent the entire music scene. The VMAs in general don't. It's a gimmick show built around the promise of just this type of crazy stunts. It was either this or have her make out with an albino midget in a foam penis suit.

I was also a teenager in the 90s, and I can't find equivalent bands nowadays to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden or Stone Temple Pilots. It's not just a matter of remembering the good things or not. There are quality bands today, but they don't become popular as those in the 90s.

They may be to somebody, I don't know. I personally agree, but I think my judgement might be clouded by nostalgia. These days the young adults who would normally be the rock demographic have taken to these folk/rock bands like Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers, Iron and Wine or any of these other acoustic bands that dress like Depression era school children. Either that or the other side of the spectrum with electronic rock bands like Muse. It's not really my thing, but it does have artistic merit.

Yes, I think you're right about bands like Muse. Not sure if in 20 years they will have the status of Pearl Jam or Nirvana, though. Only time will tell.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 26, 2013 20:31

Torres
NoCode0680
UnionHall
Ok, i just went to the link posted by aquamarine, as i did not watch the awards show. All I can say is what the hell? This is what music has come to? When I was younger all I listened to was rock, buat as I aged I began to appreciate music of all eras, including the music my parents listened to. I began to appreciate music as an art form, the complexity of melody and chord sequence. The interplay of the instruments either in sync with each other or playing counter melodies. But good gosh, how can this crap qualify as an art form? I realize I only saw the sample from the link, but I couldn't finish watching it because I felt it was an insult to all the talented artists who through the years have created music that WILL last forever.

Yeah, but there has always been shitty music. You can't judge all music today, or assume this is what it has come to, by some publicity stunt on the VMAs. We tend to just remember the good stuff over time. When I think back of the music of my teenage years in the 90's I remember Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots and all that. Not Spice Girls, Hanson and the Macarena. I don't think music is particularly great these days, but Miley's publicity stunt doesn't represent the entire music scene. The VMAs in general don't. It's a gimmick show built around the promise of just this type of crazy stunts. It was either this or have her make out with an albino midget in a foam penis suit.

I was also a teenager in the 90s, and I can't find equivalent bands nowadays to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden or Stone Temple Pilots. It's not just a matter of remembering the good things or not. There are quality bands today, but they don't become popular as those in the 90s.
This is the business side of the music business. I was a teenager in the early 90s and I feel lucky that I grew up in a time when popular music was great. Looking back now I can see how those bands and others existed and were popular because that was what was selling. That was the trend. Now the trend is something different and once that one artist does something that is huge. whatever it is, the various labels want dozens of artists doing the same thing because it'll be popular and popular = money, which is what it all comes down to. While those bands that you mentioned are/were good, I think you can't find equivalent bands (not in the mainstream, at least) that sound like them because their sound is a bit dated, The musical landscape has changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-26 20:32 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: August 26, 2013 21:23

Gazza
I love the fact that they now have an award for 'Best Video with a Social Message'.

An admission of sorts that the medium is generally banal, soulless, meaningless crap.
let's have a beer Gazza smileys with beer

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: August 26, 2013 22:05

stonesrule
If you live in the US and are watching the VMA's,..all I can say is OMG.

Anyone with any taste would NOT have watched...the NAME of the show is a contradiction as there is no music

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: August 26, 2013 22:08

That tongue is always hanging out. What's up with that?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 26, 2013 22:09

Don't think of music when I think of MTV, the videos are the packaging and the
product. In that context of no musical expectations....Miley has some very cool moves and
a very nice tongue.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 26, 2013 22:24

Cyrus seems no different then Jagger dry humping Katy Perry live onstage...both are desperate to be relevant in a fast moving river of putrescence...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 26, 2013 22:50

I watched to see if Kanye West (who I once admired and felt had great potential) would redeem himself. But anyone who modestly insists on a introduction that ties him to Jimi Hendrix is clearly an egomaniac.

Kanye must have been a very spoiled only child.

Too bad because he has talent but no humility.

Kanye, Jay-Z etc. make me wonder if they have ever donated a dime to a good cause.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 26, 2013 22:57

Music = sad state of affairs.

Gaga, Miley, etc. are just publicity whores with very little real singing talent.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 26, 2013 23:11

treaclefingers
stonehearted
Stoneage
Haven't tuned in to either MTV or VH1 for at least a decade. As I understand it MTV is mostly about teenage docu-soaps these days. MTV really was the market back in the 80s though...

"Video killed the radio star....oooh-uh-oh-oh...."

Reality TV killed the video star.

Now if there were only something that could kill "reality TV"--I know, how about talent? Or even intelligence? Nah, not enough to go around.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 26, 2013 23:24

Elmo Lewis
Music = sad state of affairs.

Gaga, Miley, etc. are just publicity whores with very little real singing talent.

Can't speak for Miley's artistic merit, but Gaga has a fantastic voice.
As for the VMA, I haven't watched in years...just on principle. It caters to the lowest common denominator.
Doesn't mean I can't enjoy many of these artists though.
I love Timberlake, and remember Jack White has been feted by the VMA so it's not all shit. It's a different time folks.
Remember when Helen Reddy and Andy Willams were hosting the Grammys? I get you cringed then too.
Nothing has really changed. There's always going to be shit music, and there's always going to be great music.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 27, 2013 00:26

tatters

Bieber got a new haircut, and it looks like her tits may be coming in!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:14

GUMBOOT, loved your post.
Jay-Z is a master marketer...even when it comes to Wikipedia.
And Kanye makes few moves without him.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:14

What? Scantily class women indulging in sexually explicit behavior on a music program?!?!?! I for one am...not shocked....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 27, 2013 02:00

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: August 27, 2013 02:11

GumbootCloggeroo
Torres
NoCode0680
UnionHall

This is the business side of the music business. I was a teenager in the early 90s and I feel lucky that I grew up in a time when popular music was great. Looking back now I can see how those bands and others existed and were popular because that was what was selling. That was the trend. Now the trend is something different and once that one artist does something that is huge. whatever it is, the various labels want dozens of artists doing the same thing because it'll be popular and popular = money, which is what it all comes down to. While those bands that you mentioned are/were good, I think you can't find equivalent bands (not in the mainstream, at least) that sound like them because their sound is a bit dated, The musical landscape has changed.

That's always been going on though. Look back to the British invasion and all the Beatles and Stones imitators that popped up. The Stones weren't Beatles imitators, but they benefited from the record companies trying to snatch up whatever young guitar band they could, especially since Decca had passed up on the Beatles.

And I wasn't saying I wasn't looking for bands that sounded like those 90's bands, I was just using the bands I considered good at the time and bad to make a point that there's always been shitty music but we sometimes forget them.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 27, 2013 02:59

Miley, you so sexy!

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: August 27, 2013 03:06

NoCode0680
GumbootCloggeroo
Torres
NoCode0680
UnionHall

That's always been going on though. Look back to the British invasion and all the Beatles and Stones imitators that popped up. The Stones weren't Beatles imitators, but they benefited from the record companies trying to snatch up whatever young guitar band they could, especially since Decca had passed up on the Beatles.

And I wasn't saying I wasn't looking for bands that sounded like those 90's bands, I was just using the bands I considered good at the time and bad to make a point that there's always been shitty music but we sometimes forget them.

All points well-taken! I was a teenager from the late 60's to the mid 70's, so of course the music during my formative years has remained ingrained in me. Yes, you are all correct about the publicity stunts and "shocking" moments that some of these artists do to keep their names in the headlines. And yes, once something becomes popular the record companies are all gung ho on finding more of the same. Just like the 60's and 70's there were probably lots of bands put together to try to cash in on the moment, and I'm sure I never heard of a lot of them. Of course, there were lots of one hit wonders that had a huge hit and the follow up single relatively went unplayed on the radio. I guess my main point is that I have become a self-imposed student of musical content - I listen very closely to the musical nuances that are in the background, the creative interplay of the instruments, the dramatic chord and key changes, the guitar in the left channel that is actually playing in a different key. These elements seem to be missing from the actual music that is current and popular. My opinion is the creativity is gone, very few go the extra mile to make their song stand out from the others. So much of popular music, to me, is cookie cuttered on an assembly line basis. Lastly, the artists of today that still dedicate themselves to putting surprises in the music, I'm sure they are out there, but they aren't found in the mainstream and I don't know who they are.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 27, 2013 03:08

Munichhilton
Cyrus seems no different then Jagger dry humping Katy Perry live onstage...both are desperate to be relevant in a fast moving river of putrescence...

Yes, exactly. It certainly worked, from publicity perspective - - everybody was talking about it the next day.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: August 27, 2013 04:04

...and Kanye West comparing himself to Jimi Hendrix !?!?! Jimi must be turning in his grave. KW is a tool, with no talent.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-27 04:05 by custom55.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 27, 2013 06:18

Bummer. Heard on TV tonight that the Smith family's reaction-shot was to Lady Gaga's performance, and not Miley Cyrus's. That cuts the hilarity factor, unless Lady G's performance was equally [fill in the blank].

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 27, 2013 13:54

miley is growing up to be one fine lady . i cant wait for her celebrity video to come out

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 27, 2013 14:09

Aquamarine
Bummer. Heard on TV tonight that the Smith family's reaction-shot was to Lady Gaga's performance, and not Miley Cyrus's. That cuts the hilarity factor, unless Lady G's performance was equally [fill in the blank].

Might have something to do with this...

but, who knows, it could have been any number of things.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 27, 2013 15:29

Wow, that audience got their money's worth . . . I guess . . . tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: August 27, 2013 15:38

latebloomer

I'm fine with that outfit just as long as she doesn't sit in front of me at the movies.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 27, 2013 15:48

buying foam stuff will never be the same for me.

[www.ebay.com]

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 27, 2013 15:52

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-27 15:59 by Bastion.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 27, 2013 15:54

"I eats more chicken than a man ever seen!"

[www.wcsx.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 27, 2013 19:08

quite a lot about 'twerking' recently

just wondering what is the origin of that word?

I don't remember ever hearing it before..

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home