Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: the VMAs
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 26, 2013 07:33

If you live in the US and are watching the VMA's,..all I can say is OMG.

Re: OT: the VMAs
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 26, 2013 07:41

I just posted this elsewhere, but here it is again--Miley's performance and Will Smith's family's reaction.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 26, 2013 07:48

..OH ruley don't be so cruel to yaself ....
.....Read the above this mornin' and wanted ta write a song called Do The Puke ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 26, 2013 09:47

oh snap, missed out! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: August 26, 2013 10:37

How nice. After so many years of progress in women's rights on the western world, these new new idols insist in showing the kids how cool is the sexual image exploit of the feminine body, from young ages.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 26, 2013 11:41

Why do these Disney stars always turn out to be full-fledged whores?

Date: August 26, 2013 11:43

.....hangin' out with Goofy would turn anyone inta a whore

ROCKMAN

Date: August 26, 2013 11:45

Probably so Rockee, probably so...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 26, 2013 15:07

Stonesrule, I gave myself a facial and pedicure and went to bed. It doesn't sound like I missed anything.

Don't knock Goofy Rockee, he's OK...it's that Snow White you need to watch out for...all that sweetness and light is just a cover.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 26, 2013 15:18

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: August 26, 2013 15:22

Stoneage
Why do these Disney stars always turn out to be full-fledged whores?

It's probably that coked up genie's fault.

To be honest the whole "shocking moments" thing at the VMAs is getting a little tiresome and just seems completely scripted/contrived by this point. While I don't take any award show very seriously, it makes the VMAs just seem like some shock value reality show. It's not shocking if it's planned, scripted, and carried out for the sake of continuing a trend.

As far as Miley goes, I'm pretty much out of the loop when it comes to her music other than a video I saw of her doing a bizarre cover of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit". The only time I hear anything about her is after pulling stunts like this, and I can't help but honestly wonder (because I really don't know) if she has enough actual talent to sustain a career or if these stunts and tabloid stories are all keeping her afloat. Does she actually have a good voice?

Date: August 26, 2013 16:01

it's that Snow White you need to watch out for

WHAT!!! ...next you'll be sayin' them Hey-ho Ramones took from them Hi-ho dwarf guys .....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 26, 2013 16:04

Haven't tuned in to either MTV or VH1 for at least a decade. As I understand it MTV is mostly about teenage docu-soaps these days. MTV really was the market back in the 80s though...

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 26, 2013 16:04

Aquamarine
I just posted this elsewhere, but here it is again--Miley's performance and Will Smith's family's reaction.

verrrry interesting! (thank you for posting the link!)

Date: August 26, 2013 16:15

Stoneage
Haven't tuned in to either MTV or VH1 for at least a decade. As I understand it MTV is mostly about teenage docu-soaps these days. MTV really was the market back in the 80s though...

It was pretty good in the 90's too. Not as influential as in the 80's but still worth watching. By then they were getting into their original programming, but they still showed a bunch of videos. And I liked the programming. Beavis and Butthead, Liquid Television (namely "The Maxx"), Celebrity Death Match, Singled Out (Jenny McCarthy was nice to look at, and her own MTV sketch comedy show was pretty funny), not to mention the video shows like 120 Minutes, Alternative Nation and all that stuff.

They were also starting to get into the reality stuff around that time with shows like Road Rules and The Real World, so it was really the beginning of the end at the same time. I never would have guessed that was going to be the focus of the channel in a decade or so. But the seeds were quietly being planted.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 26, 2013 16:21

In a few short years, Hillary will be inviting her to perform at the white house. Or maybe not.

Date: August 26, 2013 16:31

tatters
In a few short years, Hillary will be inviting her to perform at the white house. Or maybe not.

Bill's ears just perked up.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: August 26, 2013 16:38

Remember when the vma's were good

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-26 16:39 by Godxofxrock9.

Posted by: chop ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:07

I watched about 1/2 of it

Did a band take the stage at all last night? Like an actual rock band?

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:36

Rubbish

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:42

Late Bloomer, you had the right idea. I commend you!

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:59

Ok, i just went to the link posted by aquamarine, as i did not watch the awards show. All I can say is what the hell? This is what music has come to? When I was younger all I listened to was rock, buat as I aged I began to appreciate music of all eras, including the music my parents listened to. I began to appreciate music as an art form, the complexity of melody and chord sequence. The interplay of the instruments either in sync with each other or playing counter melodies. But good gosh, how can this crap qualify as an art form? I realize I only saw the sample from the link, but I couldn't finish watching it because I felt it was an insult to all the talented artists who through the years have created music that WILL last forever.

Date: August 26, 2013 19:42

UnionHall
Ok, i just went to the link posted by aquamarine, as i did not watch the awards show. All I can say is what the hell? This is what music has come to? When I was younger all I listened to was rock, buat as I aged I began to appreciate music of all eras, including the music my parents listened to. I began to appreciate music as an art form, the complexity of melody and chord sequence. The interplay of the instruments either in sync with each other or playing counter melodies. But good gosh, how can this crap qualify as an art form? I realize I only saw the sample from the link, but I couldn't finish watching it because I felt it was an insult to all the talented artists who through the years have created music that WILL last forever.

Yeah, but there has always been shitty music. You can't judge all music today, or assume this is what it has come to, by some publicity stunt on the VMAs. We tend to just remember the good stuff over time. When I think back of the music of my teenage years in the 90's I remember Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots and all that. Not Spice Girls, Hanson and the Macarena. I don't think music is particularly great these days, but Miley's publicity stunt doesn't represent the entire music scene. The VMAs in general don't. It's a gimmick show built around the promise of just this type of crazy stunts. It was either this or have her make out with an albino midget in a foam penis suit.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 26, 2013 19:42

Stoneage

"Video killed the radio star....oooh-uh-oh-oh...."

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: August 26, 2013 19:47

NoCode0680
UnionHall

Yeah, but there has always been shitty music. You can't judge all music today, or assume this is what it has come to, by some publicity stunt on the VMAs. We tend to just remember the good stuff over time. When I think back of the music of my teenage years in the 90's I remember Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots and all that. Not Spice Girls, Hanson and the Macarena. I don't think music is particularly great these days, but Miley's publicity stunt doesn't represent the entire music scene. The VMAs in general don't. It's a gimmick show built around the promise of just this type of crazy stunts. It was either this or have her make out with an albino midget in a foam penis suit.

I was also a teenager in the 90s, and I can't find equivalent bands nowadays to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden or Stone Temple Pilots. It's not just a matter of remembering the good things or not. There are quality bands today, but they don't become popular as those in the 90s.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 26, 2013 19:50

A group like The National you'd never know existed if you went by the VMA.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2013 19:59

stonehearted
Stoneage

"Video killed the radio star....oooh-uh-oh-oh...."

Reality TV killed the video star.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 26, 2013 20:00

tatters
I get what that shirt is trying to say but it doesn't make sense. Why is the word never replacing back down? "They want us to never"? Huh?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 26, 2013 20:21

I love the fact that they now have an award for 'Best Video with a Social Message'.

An admission of sorts that the medium is generally banal, soulless, meaningless crap.

Date: August 26, 2013 20:25

Torres
NoCode0680
UnionHall

I was also a teenager in the 90s, and I can't find equivalent bands nowadays to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden or Stone Temple Pilots. It's not just a matter of remembering the good things or not. There are quality bands today, but they don't become popular as those in the 90s.

They may be to somebody, I don't know. I personally agree, but I think my judgement might be clouded by nostalgia. These days the young adults who would normally be the rock demographic have taken to these folk/rock bands like Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers, Iron and Wine or any of these other acoustic bands that dress like Depression era school children. Either that or the other side of the spectrum with electronic rock bands like Muse. It's not really my thing, but it does have artistic merit.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home