Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Isolated vocals to Beatles' Abbey Road Medley
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 30, 2013 04:43

This is absolutely amazing. Does anybody know how these isolated tracks are seeing the light of day? Wouldn't you need to have the masters?

Re: OT: Isolated vocals to Beatles' Abbey Road Medley
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 30, 2013 05:04

You don't need the masters any longer, as there is now software and APPs available so that isolated tracks can be created on an amateur basis.

For instance, in the Come Together isolated bits below, you can tell that these are not the isolated master tracks, because in the bass track you can hear the drum parts bleeding through, and vice versa on the drum track, where you can also hear some bleed from the vocal track.

Still a bit sloppy, but it's the next best thing and it does help to highlight elements of a song that are otherwise hidden to untrained ears.

Here's a two-track version with just vocals and guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-30 05:52 by stonehearted.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 30, 2013 05:12

This guy does a great job on bunch of 'em (and he does them harmony by harmony on his You Tube page). Don't let the Italian accent throw you. Very informative.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 30, 2013 05:27

stonehearted
You don't need the masters any longer, as there is now software and APPs available so that isolated tracks can be created on an amateur basis.

For instance, in the Come Together isolated bits below, you can tell that these are not the isolated master tracks, because in the bass track you can hear the drum parts bleeding through, and vice versa on the drum track, where you can also hear some bleed from the vocal track.

Stuff done via that software tends to sound a bit odd. Leaking of parts on to others isn't a sure sign they are from software like that as bands tended to record together so some leakage is expected, even when doing vocal dubs as sound sometimes leaks from headphones.

Clean seperates are getting out through those guitar hero type games, 5.1 mixes etc.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 30, 2013 05:35

I saw this Abbey Road video yesterday, and one of the related videos was this one:

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 30, 2013 05:40

There is also a Paint It, Black with isolated bass (silence for the first 14 seconds of the clip).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 30, 2013 08:23

Yeah, and I can immediately rank the singers quality after hearing this:

1 John Lennon

miles step ahead here

2 Paul McCartney
3 George Harrison
4 Ringo Starr

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 30, 2013 15:40

Like this one?

CD ONE RECONSTRUCTION TRACKS
01. Back In The U.S.S.R. 02. Dear Prudence 03. Birthday 04. While My Guitar Gently Weeps 05. Helter Skelter
06. All Together Now 07. Only A Northern Song 08. Hey Bulldog
09. It's All Too Much 10. Don't Let Me Down 11. I've Got A Feeling 12. Dig A Pony 13. I Me Mine 14. Get Back
15. Within You Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows 16. Hey Jude / Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)

INSTRUMENTAL TRACKS
17. Back In The U.S.S.R.
18. Dear Prudence 19. Birthday 20. While My Guitar Gently Weeps 21. Helter Skelter

CD TWO INSTRUMENTAL TRACKS
01. All Together Now 02. Only A Northern Song 03. Hey Bulldog 04. It's All Too Much
05. Don't Let Me Down 06. I've Got A Feeling 07. Dig A Pony 08. I Me Mine 09. Get Bac 10. Within You Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows

MAIN VOCAL TRACKS
11. Back In The U.S.S.R. 12. Dear Prudence 13. Birthday 14. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
15. Helter Skelter 16. All Together Now 17. Only A Northern Song 18. Hey Bulldog 19. Don't Let Me Down
20. I've Got A Feeling 21. Dig A Pony 22. I Me Mine 23. Get Back 24. Within You Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows
25. Hey Jude / Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 30, 2013 16:09

I'd guess its availility is related to the creation of Beatles Rockband video game?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 30, 2013 17:09

schillid
I'd guess its availility is related to the creation of Beatles Rockband video game?

The clearer high quality stuff is.

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: August 31, 2013 02:03

Come On

1 John Lennon

miles step ahead here

2 Paul McCartney
3 George Harrison
4 Ringo Starr

What, based upon this? John singing three notes of his range and Macca being all over the place? Johns TONE is fab during Come Together, a true John classic vocal. The medley...; John vocalwise, is a throw away. "well you should see Poletheme Pam"... At this point, John's voice (and singing qualities) was on it's way down, while Paul had his best singing decade in front of him. Ram, Wings Over America and Back To the Egg should be evidence enough. IMO John's best vocal work was up and until Sgt Pepper's. Lost strength after that, possibly due to lack of touring.
Abbey Rd; both pretty strong, but on two totally different turfs at this point.
Mind, there is an over the top Monkberry Moon Delight vocals only Version available somewhere. Not that it proves anything, but it's Worth a listen; and a laugh. Impressive none the less.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 31, 2013 06:12

Whatever it is, it's nice to hear the singing. It seems to me to be a revelation in the influence of Freddie Mercury's studio work ie attention to detail etc.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 31, 2013 06:24

The isolated vocals of You Never Give Me Your Money are a terrific eye-opener: finger-clicking, random mumbling, coughs... fascinating. I cannot be arsed with listening to the rest, mind.

Date: August 31, 2013 07:55

Anderson
Come On

1 John Lennon

miles step ahead here

2 Paul McCartney
3 George Harrison
4 Ringo Starr

What, based upon this? John singing three notes of his range and Macca being all over the place? Johns TONE is fab during Come Together, a true John classic vocal. The medley...; John vocalwise, is a throw away. "well you should see Poletheme Pam"... At this point, John's voice (and singing qualities) was on it's way down, while Paul had his best singing decade in front of him. Ram, Wings Over America and Back To the Egg should be evidence enough. IMO John's best vocal work was up and until Sgt Pepper's. Lost strength after that, possibly due to lack of touring.
Abbey Rd; both pretty strong, but on two totally different turfs at this point.
Mind, there is an over the top Monkberry Moon Delight vocals only Version available somewhere. Not that it proves anything, but it's Worth a listen; and a laugh. Impressive none the less.

Couldn't agree more. John miles ahead?!?! Yeah, SURE. Paul was such a better singer than all of them at this point that it's kinda laughable actually, and Anderson, you are correct that John's singing ability drastically went downhill after Sgt Pepper.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 31, 2013 21:45

Big Al
The isolated vocals of You Never Give Me Your Money are a terrific eye-opener: finger-clicking, random mumbling, coughs... fascinating. I cannot be arsed with listening to the rest, mind.

Polythene Pam at the end of the first Yeah yeah yeah Lennon goes Ewww or something. Hilarious. Don't recall ever hearing that before.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 31, 2013 23:35

Come On

1 John Lennon

miles step ahead here

2 Paul McCartney
3 George Harrison
4 Ringo Starr

amen. F-ckin awesome voice. Best singer ever.

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: September 1, 2013 04:10

Well well well, go compare the Live in NYC with Winston with WOA. Or any Macca live 70s. That'd remove some (I Guess all) of the miles of distance from John to Paul. Ringo? George? Miles between them, but both lightyears below J&P. Of course, I might be totally wrong.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 1, 2013 10:30

Abbey Road my favorite Beatles album. Remember the hype before it was played on New York radio in entirety for the first time (I think WNEW-FM.) Was lucky enough to be home from school with injury to listen! cool smiley

Posted by: howled ()
Date: September 1, 2013 13:52

Come Together

[www.hark.com]

Man: So Steve we’re here again for another multi-track tape. Steve: Yes we are and it’s with special thanks to Sir Paul McCartney, Apple and EMI for this 8-track recording. In fact as I discovered when I went to Abby road the original track was actually recorded on a four track the session started on the 21st of July 1969, with Paul on bass recorded onto track 1, George Harrison on electric guitar on track 2, Ringo’s drums were on track 3 and John not playing guitar when he cut the track’s singing guide vocal along with his…onto track 4. The four track was then transferred to 8-track and the overdubs were added to this new master. Now with the advantage of current technology both the original four track multi-track which luckily Abby Roads still has and the…8-track tape have both be transferred to digital. So what we can now hear is the best bits of both original multi-tracks.

So let’s start by letting the multi-track start up and you can hear John count everyone in. 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, So let’s hear the drums isolated. These are on a separate track on the multi track. And these sound like a modern big drum sound. A big fat kick sound. Now let me solo the base, and there’s a small amount of room bleed that sounds like Paul’s base is a mix of both the amplifier and the direct signal mixed together on this one track. Now let’s hear George Harrison’s electric guitar. If you can listen really carefully you can hear him change the pickup from clean to crunchy in the middle of the note. Now let’s hear the band together, drums, bass and guitar. It really is a superb recording. Now on the 8-track Paul added an electric piano overdub, a fairly new instrument back then. So let’s hear that. And now in the track…but also 2 additional guitar parts overdubbed with a lick that never made it on the final mix. Also on this track you can hear maracas, this was recorded at the same time on the same track and now everything on the track. Now let’s move on to the lead vocal. Because Abby Road still has the original four track tape we can now hear John’s guide vocal and hand clap recorded on the original session and as he wasn’t playing guitar when he cut the track he was able to add this distinctive hand clap. Something he also did on the final vocal. It’s worth nothing that this guide vocal doesn’t have the tape after it; it was added after the final tape. You’ll also notice the phrasing is very different and in fact the whole vocal approach is more powerful as a performance. An almost over the top performance maybe to get the backing track down with the energy that it clearly has. Now let’s hear the master vocal this has the tape delay echo printed along with the vocal and because John clapped at the same time of singing the effect appears in the voice and hand clap. Next is the harmony vocal track, its track 8 on the multi track and contains vocals form both Paul and John. A pander left and right so we can hear vocal harmonies and double track...all on this one track. And now quick blast of everything. Such an amazing track, the superb production, brilliant mix and the perfect opener to the album Abby Road.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 13:59 by howled.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: September 1, 2013 21:16

Come On

1 John Lennon

miles step ahead here

2 Paul McCartney
3 George Harrison
4 Ringo Starr

I agree!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 1, 2013 23:54

They both are good in there own way.........you love the one or the other....or both....

Technically speaking Paul was better.....but on the other hand John had something Paul didn't have

Posted by: howled ()
Date: September 2, 2013 10:58

It's not really about one or the other.

So much of the Beatles sound is John combining harmonies with Paul and vice versa, and also George in a lesser way.

When John and Paul go solo, the combined harmonies and other things go missing.

John and Paul had different styles and ranges and tones.

John handed over the middle of Hard Day's night to Paul because it was out of his range and because of that John could come in underneath back to the "Hard Day's Night" on Paul's high "yeah" when Paul is right up there singing "tight, tight" "yeah", which is a great combined vocals range effect.

The John/Paul combined touches are all over the Beatles songs.

John had an edge to his voice if needed and Paul had his Little Richard thing if needed, but they could both sing more mellow pop stuff as well.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-02 11:17 by howled.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 3, 2013 09:40

NICOS
They both are good in there own way.........you love the one or the other....or both....

Technically speaking Paul was better.....but on the other hand John had something Paul didn't have

Paul did some knockout vocals on that album...Oh Darlin' one of my all-time Beatles favorites. And of course the end medley. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: dannyhowells ()
Date: September 3, 2013 13:33

You can download a zip file that contains (I think) about 70 or more Beatles OGG files. When opened with Audacity you are presented with the multi-tracks.
In fact there are hundreds/thousands of multi-tracks out there, from the more basic Rock Band ones that sometimes have a few instruments bounced onto each track, to full studio multi-tracks (like Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder etc etc) where you have, say, 24 full tracks in isolation.
The only Stones ones I've seen are Gimme Shelter, Sympathy, Honky Tonk Women and (I think) Stray Cat Blues.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home