Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Love You Live Underrated?
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: August 23, 2013 21:12

I played my record the other day and it's alot better then i remember. If you can get past the over dubs it's a pretty solid album. and the el mocambo side makes the record worth buying alone. anyways it's no get yer ya ya's out but i very much enjoyed it very underrated imho

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-23 21:14 by Godxofxrock9.

Re: Love You Live Underrated?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 23, 2013 21:17

IMO, and I don't know why, but I've always thought it was such a paint by numbers. There are a lot of songs I really like on it (Get Off My Cloud/Can't Rock Me, Star Star, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Fingerprint File) and it always ends up sounding so flat to me. So... non-essential. Totally unlike Ya Yas. There's never been anything thats drawn me back to this album, even though I'm sure the actual concerts at this time were great. I just don't like this documentation for some reason. Also, I'm one of the few people that couldn't care less about the Mocambo stuff.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 23, 2013 21:19

Underrated and overrated are senseless words

Date: August 23, 2013 21:23

Underappreciated, imo.

Some songs are really, really good:

HTW
Star Star
IYCRM/GOOMC
IORR
SFTD
Hot Stuff
Fingerprint File
Mannish Boy
Crackin´Up
Little Red Rooster
Around And Around
You Gotta Move
YCAGWYW

EDIT: + the best ever version of Happy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-24 02:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: August 23, 2013 21:25

I don't know if I'd say it's underrated, but I think it's sort of over bashed. It draws a lot of hostility around here for whatever reason. Personally I don't think it's bad, but not all that interesting save a few numbers. There have been a few threads showing love for it over the past year or so though.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 23, 2013 21:25

Erik_Snow
Underrated and overrated are senseless words

I think they get used too much, but there are instances where they apply.

IMO it applies to this album. Undercover is a very popular album around here, so when people say its underatted that's just silly. LYL gets trashed, except for side 3 of course, but I like it. So to me its underrated.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-23 21:31 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 23, 2013 21:31

Underrated! A fantastic Live-album...Nr 1 with Ronnie....

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 23, 2013 22:16

I love it...yes, there are some clumsy overdubs on and I pretend they aren't there, but all in all there are some classics on it SFTD is the best version after GYYYAs and Ronnie played amazingly through that tour.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 23, 2013 22:33

RollingFreak
IMO, and I don't know why, but I've always thought it was such a paint by numbers. There are a lot of songs I really like on it (Get Off My Cloud/Can't Rock Me, Star Star, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Fingerprint File) and it always ends up sounding so flat to me. So... non-essential. Totally unlike Ya Yas. There's never been anything thats drawn me back to this album, even though I'm sure the actual concerts at this time were great. I just don't like this documentation for some reason. Also, I'm one of the few people that couldn't care less about the Mocambo stuff.

Agreed. They play well on it, but it's just like you said, IMHO.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 23, 2013 22:50

I think why Love You Live has a bad press is due to the fact that it's the live album after Ya Yas. It's a bit like the Allmans' Wipe The Windows, Check The Oil album following At The Fillmore.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 23, 2013 23:59

With the exception of Ya Ya's, all the Stones live albums could have been better. And, we all have the bootlegs to prove it.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 24, 2013 00:08

Carnaby
With the exception of Ya Ya's, all the Stones live albums could have been better. And, we all have the bootlegs to prove it.

That's true. Stripped was very well done, but except for that one and Ya-Ya's, most of the Stones official live output (prior to the Archive series) was kinda lame. The Long Lost Decca Live album or whatever it's called from 1972 would probably have been pretty good, had it been released.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-24 00:31 by LieB.

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: August 24, 2013 00:17

Love the el Mocambo side but the rest of it is dominated by Mick's classic mid 70's lazy vocals. Very little actual singing.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 24, 2013 00:24

I can't remember the last time I listened to it.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 24, 2013 00:31

increase your intake of sardines Deltics ... good for the memory they say

ROCKMAN

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 24, 2013 01:15

Good live album.
But I think that 1975 tour was better thant 1976's one.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 24, 2013 01:35

love you live was the first ever stones album i bought in 1987.

so i had nothing to compare it with, nothing to confuse me as to its real quality or lack of it either.

when i listened to the album i had a mixed reaction to it, felt the stones were a bit sloppy on most performances but felt a real aggression and excitement to their music.

was also aware they had recorded around 200 songs so was looking forward to hearing the rest.

in time the album grew on me, and i really liked certain songs.

if you cant rock me
get off of my cloud
tumbling dice
star star
happy
brown sugar
jj flash
symathy for the devil

was dissapointed with

honky tonk woman
you cant always get what you want
hot stuff
its only rock and roll
fingerprint file

the el mocambo sessions were ok.

think its a good live album which reflected the time, to me its the important one and got me more into the stones.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 24, 2013 02:13

LieB
Carnaby

That's true. Stripped was very well done, but except for that one and Ya-Ya's, most of the Stones official live output (prior to the Archive series) was kinda lame. The Long Lost Decca Live album or whatever it's called from 1972 would probably have been pretty good, had it been released.

Agreed about the '72 tour LP. As always with my favorite band, somehow or other they managed not to get it together enough to put out an album that would have showcased them at the height of their powers.

For me, the one that is absolutely disposable is Still Life. I think I listened to it once while I tidied my room. It's just a concert souvenir.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: August 24, 2013 02:36

...great version of "It's only rock'roll"...

Posted by: rainhog ()
Date: August 24, 2013 05:12

I know this album gets trashed a lot on this board but I gotta say that I find this album sloppy in many spots.....just like I like my STONES!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 24, 2013 05:31

Loved it when it came out, of course. But I also wondered why the hell didn't they put the LA Forum shows from '75 out instead. Maybe two years back then was way too in the past (probably was).

Speaking of overdubs, I've wondered if the audience shouting on Side 3 (Billy! Hey, Mick Jagger. Let the good times roll!) were overdubbed, added in. Are they on the Mocambo boots? Can't remember if they are on mine.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 24, 2013 05:37

Dreadful album for the most part. The playing is fine, but Jagger's singing is atrocious to the point of being almost unlistenable. His worst ever (rivalled only by some of the vocals on Dirty Work).

Made even worse when you realise that a lot of the vocals are done in the studio and that he sings better on the actual gigs themselves.

The shows they recorded were actually not bad (especially the 75 gigs - but even of the 1976 concerts, the Paris gigs have some great moments). How they contrived to make such a bad record out of what they had is bewildering.

the four El Mocambo songs are terrific though.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 24, 2013 08:56

I love it better than Ya-Yas.
Yes, I gave up trying to be normal.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 24, 2013 13:37

I love it better than Yayas. Because it's better.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 24, 2013 13:51

Maybe it is about the guitar sounds on LYL. And the mature playing.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 24, 2013 14:24

I would prefer to get two separate albums:

1. A complete concert from '76 (with LA Friday we have '75 already)

2. El Mocambo complete (the two sets)

Otherwise there are some great tracks on it like HTW, the fantastic medley If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud or the the GYYYO-version exceeding SFTD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-24 14:28 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 24, 2013 14:39

jp.M

BEST version of "It's only rock 'n' roll"

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 24, 2013 14:40

Gazza's review is spot on.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 24, 2013 15:14

jp.M

My fave version of this song too

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 24, 2013 18:30

You may say that the El Mocambo side is overrated, although I'd disagree.

I don't think you could say the other 3 sides are underrated though.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home