Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The IMPERIAL riff....
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 16, 2013 13:52

His Majesty
windmelody
Ventilator Blues is one of my favourite Exile tracks.

It's affa good.

What it is, this affa?

Date: August 16, 2013 13:56

Phil really likes this one. It means: "Angels Forever, Forever Angels" grinning smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 16, 2013 14:07

Yesterday this riff just popped up in my head and I'm started thinkin from which record and how incredible good it is....I went through a couple of intros on Goats head before finding it on Exile....

It is so natural Bluesy in it's building..who isn't reacting with great reverence if you grab a guitar and start riffing Ventilator Blues...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 16, 2013 14:16

<I went through a couple of intros on Goats head before finding it on Exile>

thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 16, 2013 14:16

Silver Dagger

What it is, this affa?

Affa good = awfully good or very good.

grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-16 14:17 by His Majesty.

Date: August 16, 2013 14:21

LOL! grinning smiley

Brunkrabbe thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 16, 2013 14:26

I saw the Scottish band Frightened Rabbit recently. They were pretty good. Someone observed that there isn't anything much more entertaining than listening to Scottish people cuss! In my defence, I have some Scottish ancestry.smileys with beer

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 16, 2013 14:29

crholmstrom
I saw the Scottish band Frightened Rabbit recently. They were pretty good. Someone observed that there isn't anything much more entertaining than listening to Scottish people cuss! In my defence, I have some Scottish ancestry.smileys with beer

grinning smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 16, 2013 14:43

DandelionPowderman
<Jagger and Richards are not particularly famous for being generious in sharing credits>

And the more people like us speculate about that, without actual knowledge, the bigger the villains they get grinning smiley

You don't need much knowledge. It is as obvious and as true as the wind driven snow. I blame their stingy attitude on them getting totally ripped off by A Klein and others early on. If not for Prince Rupert it would have gone on longer. For an LSE attendee Jagger strangely excelled in signing (and getting the band to sign) effed up contracts

As years passed, the less drugs-alcohol he imbibed the better he got at finances and grabbing the max. Nothing wrong with this if you don't screw others but Mick Taylor remained screwed until their recent 2012-3 engagements. One can only hope MT got a million or two for efforts past and present all rolled into one payment

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-16 15:04 by triceratops.

Date: August 16, 2013 14:49

<but Mick Taylor remained screwed until their recent 21012-3 engagements>

yes, you need knowledge - before you accuse people for committing a crime...

Date: August 16, 2013 14:50

Silver Dagger
The song has got swamp rock written all over it. It's low down, sleazy and you can almost feel the humidity at Nellcote with moisture slowly dripping down the walls of that dank basement. And boy, do I wish I'd been there whilst they were recording. I bet no good was going on. Heh heh!

Heat too!!! Summer in furthest South France while the Cannes film festival takes place nearby. Any record of any Stones visiting this festival during their Nelcotte era?

Date: August 16, 2013 14:59

Doxa
It looks to me that Taylor's credit on this was a kind of random recognition of his contributions to the songs by Mick and Keith. The man himself has been wondering why on earth he got credit for that one, even though I have never heard did he feel like he deserved it or not. Those who believe in that the Rolling Stones live in a perfect world where justice is always done and the credition is correspondence to reality, might think that he actually wrote the riff, and Richards just played it. Could be, but I don't think they did too many notes during those Nellcote sessions about who did and what, so by the time they were writing credits - including the inner sleeves, not the most accurate ones, which pretty much reflect the hectic nature of making the record - probably in L.A, I can easily imagine that Mick and Keith were not too accurate in this one, either. So I tend to think it is just a "collective" recognition of Taylor's involvement in songs making process. Or they just remembered the song wrong... "Mick, do you remember which song Mick had a strong hand in writing, you know, suggesting some stuff". "No, Keith, I probably wasn't even there. But yeah, I guess he did some stuff... Okay, let's say it's "Ventilator Blues", since it is not any single material anyhow ". "Haha, yeah, let's give him that one - even if I recall right it was based on Bobby's riff... Shit, who cares!"grinning smiley

- Doxa

lulz....I love it!!! And most likely true, what other Stones album has photos of glimmer twins stoned-drunk with a liqour bottle on the table and (today's alfalfa sprouts) health freak MIck languidly smoking a cigarette. [www.google.com]

So in such a mental state this is how Mick Taylor got bestowed some (rent paying) credit for Ventilator Blues

Date: August 16, 2013 15:03

DandelionPowderman
<but Mick Taylor remained screwed until their recent 21012-3 engagements>

yes, you need knowledge - before you accuse people for committing a crime...

Not me. My assessments and judgments come in hours before the judge and jury wake up in the morning. The internet is full of good (and stupid) assessments. You have to learn to tell the difference.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 16, 2013 15:12

His Majesty
crholmstrom

grinning smiley

What I said. Too funny!>grinning smiley<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-16 15:13 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 16, 2013 15:46

Ventilator Blues holds a special place for me as it is the song that hooked my teen son into the Stones. He never paid much attention to Exile when I had it on in the car, but that opening riff really caught his attention. "What's that song, Mom? Play that song again."...over and over again, I would play it for him. Now he has the whole album on his ipod, plus many others and I finally have someone in the family to share my Stones obsession. Right now, his favorite is Ya Ya's. smiling smiley

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: August 16, 2013 15:52

latebloomer
Ventilator Blues holds a special place for me as it is the song that hooked my teen son into the Stones. He never paid much attention to Exile when I had it on in the car, but that opening riff really caught his attention. "What's that song, Mom? Play that song again."...over and over again, I would play it for him. Now he has the whole album on his ipod, plus many others and I finally have someone in the family to share my Stones obsession. Right now, his favorite is Ya Ya's. smiling smiley

good lad !

Date: August 16, 2013 15:54

Nice story, latebloomer! thumbs up

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 16, 2013 15:58

He is a good lad, my darling boy who helps keep me going. He's been trying to figure VB out on his guitar, that and Keith's solo from Sympathy.
Aren't the Stones great? smiling smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: August 16, 2013 16:30

DandelionPowderman
<Jagger and Richards are not particularly famous for being generious in sharing credits>

And the more people like us speculate about that, without actual knowledge, the bigger the villains they get grinning smiley

Yes Dandy, but the fact remains there is simply nothing Doxa or Triceratops etc could add here, even they wrote it in a thousand posts, that would expand the notion that the Glimmers could be unfair with song writing as Keith's musings in LIFE on Jagger's appropriation on Anybody Seen my Baby. Can't quote it now, but Keith has to prattle on along the lines, of "Mick has done it again" [paraphrasing], as if HE [Jagger] must do it frequently. No examples offered by Keith at this point though. He just leaves the matter hanging there. And, too, no mention of how the same might apply for Satisfaction of course....

Date: August 16, 2013 16:40

SweetThing
DandelionPowderman

Yes Dandy, but the fact remains there is simply nothing Doxa or Triceratops etc could add here, even they wrote it in a thousand posts, that would expand the notion that the Glimmers could be unfair with song writing as Keith's musings in LIFE on Jagger's appropriation on Anybody Seen my Baby. Can't quote it now, but Keith has to prattle on along the lines, of "Mick has done it again" [paraphrasing], as if HE [Jagger] must do it frequently. No examples offered by Keith at this point though. He just leaves the matter hanging there. And, too, no mention of how the same might apply for Satisfaction of course....

I interpreted the Keith-quote as Mick again wrote a song that sounded similar to another one.

In this case we talked about a song that Taylor also got credit for. It's the fast-jumping into "Mick and Keith cheap bastards"-thing that I reacted against.

Of course, it has happened that they have exploited people around them - many times. I don't doubt that.

However, here we discussed VB, and the fact that there are some vague quotes about Taylor being surprised of getting credit for this tune doesn't mean anything, imo.

Date: August 16, 2013 16:43

As a matter of fact, thanks to Keith's book and the ASMB incident, we now have blogs like this one. Consider this quote for a moment:

<< As far as Mick Jagger is concerned, Keith tells that his band mate is not capable of writing a song or even a melody by himself. If we pay close attention, doesn’t Constant Craving from K.D.Lang have the same melody as the Stones’ hit Anybody Seen My Baby? A little after 1997 when Anybody was written and composed ( Constant Craving was released at around ‘92), Keith relentlessly tried to convince Mick to credit Lang for Anybody Seen My Baby. The legend says, or the autobiography says, that Mick Jagger tends to listen to other artists materials and years later compose something really close or identical to what he had heard years before, without having any clue on his wrong doing. Or at least saying that he does not do it on purpose. >>

[blablablanyc.blogspot.com]

But of course, according to Bill Wyman, in Stone Alone, it really only takes about 30 minutes, not "years before" for Jagger to forget where he heard an idea, and then appropriate it as his own.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 16, 2013 16:46

BowieStone
Thommie
TooTough
I even like Charlie´s beat more...

Yeah, very odd beat. Pretty unlike Charlie, isn't it?

Bobby Keys wrote the rhythm part, which is the clever part of the song. Bobby said, Why don't you do this? and I said, I can't play that, so Bobby stood next to clapping the thing and I just followed his timing. In the world of Take Five, it's nothing, but it threw me completely and Bobby just stood there and clapped while we were doing the track - and we've never quite got it together as well as that. - Charlie Watts.

(From timeisonourside.com)

Another nail in the coffin! Is there any of the great, well known Stones drum intros/ grooves that really came from Charlie? And whats difficult about it? Its a bit uncommen. Thats all.
I started drumming because of him in late 60's/YaYa times - but over the years and the more you learn it gets harder and harder . .

Date: August 16, 2013 16:51

CousinC
BowieStone
Thommie
TooTough

Bobby Keys wrote the rhythm part, which is the clever part of the song. Bobby said, Why don't you do this? and I said, I can't play that, so Bobby stood next to clapping the thing and I just followed his timing. In the world of Take Five, it's nothing, but it threw me completely and Bobby just stood there and clapped while we were doing the track - and we've never quite got it together as well as that. - Charlie Watts.

Another nail in the coffin! Is there any of the great, well known Stones drum intros/ grooves that really came from Charlie? And whats difficult about it? Its a bit uncommen. Thats all.
I started drumming because of him in late 60's/YaYa times - but over the years and the more you learn it gets harder and harder . .

This groove came from Keith and his riff. It's a natural.

Date: August 16, 2013 16:54

SweetThing
As a matter of fact, thanks to Keith's book and the ASMB incident, we now have blogs like this one. Consider this quote for a moment:

<< As far as Mick Jagger is concerned, Keith tells that his band mate is not capable of writing a song or even a melody by himself. If we pay close attention, doesn’t Constant Craving from K.D.Lang have the same melody as the Stones’ hit Anybody Seen My Baby? A little after 1997 when Anybody was written and composed ( Constant Craving was released at around ‘92), Keith relentlessly tried to convince Mick to credit Lang for Anybody Seen My Baby. The legend says, or the autobiography says, that Mick Jagger tends to listen to other artists materials and years later compose something really close or identical to what he had heard years before, without having any clue on his wrong doing. Or at least saying that he does not do it on purpose. >>

But of course, according to Bill Wyman, in Stone Alone, it really only takes about 30 minutes, not "years before" for Jagger to forget where he heard an idea, and then appropriate it as his own.

This just proves my point. Keith didn't write anything like that ("not capable of writing a song or even a melody by himself" ). It's not a quote.

It's because we have people stretching the truth we have discussions like this, in a thread about a song where they actually gave away credits (see the paradox winking smiley )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-16 16:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 16, 2013 17:10

DandelionPowderman
CousinC
BowieStone
Thommie
TooTough

This groove came from Keith and his riff. It's a natural.

Yeah, i know.I meant the drum parts.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 16, 2013 17:13

In an interview that was posted here not so long ago Mick Taylor said he had nothing to do with the writing of Ventilator Blues.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 16, 2013 17:32

Maybe MT got just got a credit along the lines of of the old "Nanker Phelge" credits when songs just evolved from a jam with input from everybody.

Even the Glimmers on the odd occasion must be embarassed into admitting "...we didn't really write this song...it just happened "

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 16, 2013 17:36

DandelionPowderman

However, here we discussed VB, and the fact that there are some vague quotes about Taylor being surprised of getting credit for this tune doesn't mean anything, imo.

eye popping smiley Doesn't mean anything? Because he doesn't have an "actual knowledge", even though being credited writing the tune? Or because he is "only" Mick Taylor - like Bill Wyman (and sometimes even the otherways trusted man Ronnie Wood) - saying that, that is, without any credibility in True Believers' book?

You wonder why I call you a True Believer... Have you ever really doubted that there might be something a bit suspicious in some Stones creditions? I never seen you saying anything of the sort. Never. Always defending the "official" truth - what says in credits - against all possible criticism from whatever source.

You make me sound like I am here inventing stuff and spreading some ugly accusations. But there is not anything I have invented, but all is just picked up from many different sources (and some educated guesses are drawn based on them, trying to put everything into a coherent picture). I truely respect those people's opinions and claims who have been there in the process in making all those records and songs, and I take their sayings seriously. Now smoke without fire, and I don't have such a low view of people that I could consider all of them as liers. I see it is as a blind dogmatism to not see it, no matter how much one adores Mick and especially Keith.

So this supposed to be a "hush hush" subject, since we don't have "actual knowledge"? But do we also need to ignore people like Wyman's, Taylor's and Wood's sayings? Does any of them really matter anything?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-16 18:02 by Doxa.

Date: August 16, 2013 17:40

DandelionPowderman
SweetThing

This just proves my point. Keith didn't write anything like that ("not capable of writing a song or even a melody by himself" ). It's not a quote.

It's because we have people stretching the truth we have discussions like this, in a thread about a song where they actually gave away credits (see the paradox winking smiley )

Yes, it is a paradox if you consider that element! smiling smiley And, yes, the blog goes on to distort a great many bits from LIFE, however, and I wish I had it in front of me, but what was written in LIFE in regards to Jagger's implied habit was enough to make the point of too much borrowing by Jagger. And to my point, Keith is the one that did it, and put it out there for everyone to speculate on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-16 17:44 by SweetThing.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 16, 2013 17:43

I don't get Come On's posts. Sorry.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home