Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 58
Re: "A Slight Delay"
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:03

mitch
KRiffhard
..and Travellin Man, Hillside Blues...?

In RollingStone interview, Jagger said he looked "really hard" but didn't find any unreleased song!
Hard to believe.

maybe he meant that wasn't already available on bootleg

Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 25 May
Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:23

mitch
GetYerAngie
Yeah, Mitch, I have heard the lyrics - which of course may have caused some raised eyebrows at Decca back then. But there must be new CEOs now, don't you think?

I think the problem didn't came from Sir Edward.
The lyrics are not the most subtle Jagger has written.

No, of course they are not. But I think CS-Blues belongs to belongs to the story of establishing their own label (and the exit from Decca/Abkco). SF is that very threshold. It shows an attitude that punk learned quite a bit from.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:23

treaclefingers
mitch
KRiffhard

In RollingStone interview, Jagger said he looked "really hard" but didn't find any unreleased song!
Hard to believe.

He also said that he used all what was left out from Sticky-Exile sessions on the Exile Deluxe reissue and that he should have kept some for the Sticky Fingers reissue...

Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 25 May
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:25

DandelionPowderman
georgelicks
DandelionPowderman
Yeah, CYHMK, WH and DF alternate takes, the Complete Leeds show, 5 tracks from the Roundhouse show. Marquee on the way. It's rough times for the Taylorites...

BTW, will the alternate DF be the same as the one featured on Live In Leeds (Sister Morphine)? If so, it's pretty cool. I wonder if CYHMK has a different solo as well...

The running time of the alternate CYHMK is 3:32, so IMO, it's the studio version without the jam, just like the Wild Horses version without the electric guitar and backing vocals.

That would be pointless confused smiley

Remember, the 'jam' just happened, man.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:37

kowalski
He also said that he used all what was left out from Sticky-Exile sessions on the Exile Deluxe reissue and that he should have kept some for the Sticky Fingers reissue...

Thanks, I have also read it...
When I see the Nico website I see quite enough of unreleased tracks to fill a CD!

Date: April 10, 2015 16:47

kowalski
treaclefingers
mitch
KRiffhard

Hard to believe.

The general public isn't aware, but we do know that there are lots of tracks circulating as bootlegs from that period, that could have been used.

It's mystifying to me, if they really want to milk this thing, why not release some tracks from the period, officially, that the rabid among us would grab in a heartbeat?

Do they think they can at some point later STILL release another selection of tracks, called RARITIES II, that would cover off all that? There has to be some sort of logic to it, I'd just like to know what it is.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:48

treaclefingers
kowalski
treaclefingers
mitch
KRiffhard

Hard to believe.

The general public isn't aware, but we do know that there are lots of tracks circulating as bootlegs from that period, that could have been used.

It's mystifying to me, if they really want to milk this thing, why not release some tracks from the period, officially, that the rabid among us would grab in a heartbeat?

Do they think they can at some point later STILL release another selection of tracks, called RARITIES II, that would cover off all that? There has to be some sort of logic to it, I'd just like to know what it is.

Quite agree, TreacleFingers !!smileys with beer
jeroen

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 10, 2015 18:20

I think it's simply that MJ couldn't be bothered to go and redo vocals for the known existing tracks, like "Who Am I", "Potted Shrimp" or "Travelling Man" and rumored tracks like "Candlewick Bedspread" or "Hey Mama".

Possible reasons :
- It's probably a tedious process
- He's done it before, the fun is gone
- Some tracks are weak, "Who Am I" for instance
- Some people trashed the concept of recording new vocals
- Some people trashed his new vocals
- He had better things to do, like playing and planning lucrative shows, which wasn't the case for the Exile and SG rereleases

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 10, 2015 18:48

gotdablouse
- He had better things to do, like playing and planning lucrative shows, which wasn't the case for the Exile and SG rereleases

Maybe but it could have been interesting a tour that promotes also the outtakes of the Deluxe edition.
I guess "Plundered My Soul", "I Ain't Signifying", "We Had It All" or "When You're Gone" wouldn't have been that bad played live.

Date: April 10, 2015 18:52

mitch
gotdablouse

Maybe but it could have been interesting a tour that promotes also the outtakes of the Deluxe edition.
I guess "Plundered My Soul", "I Ain't Signifying", "We Had It All" or "When You're Gone" wouldn't have been that bad played live.

as much as last tour was great, that was a disappointment....not playing any of these bonus tracks. truly would have enjoyed that.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 10, 2015 19:11

treaclefingers
mitch
gotdablouse

as much as last tour was great, that was a disappointment....not playing any of these bonus tracks. truly would have enjoyed that.

It would be nice to hear some of the bonus tracks played live but by now it's pretty clear Mick isn't taking any chances that his audience won't connect with just about every song he attempts. As far as re-recording vocals I think it would be too obvious and the results would be questionable. Mick's singing has changed quite a bit since 1971, imo.

peace

Re: 'Sticky Fingers' rereleased - 8/9 June
Date: April 10, 2015 19:27

Maybe they kept the tracks they found for the new album...

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 10, 2015 20:50

I am not sure that the Stones are very good at understanding the chronology of their own history. Mick J in particular. They would be probably better off if they hired someone off this board with an obsessive knowledge of the Stones to go in and listen to the vault material and categorize it. The one thing about the Exile deluxe version is that other than the Keith vocal version of what became Soul Survivor, I don't think they actually unearthed anything that was recorded in the basement of Nellcote and I suspect that Keith vocal was done at Sunset Sound in the final stages of putting Exile together. It is also possible that they don't have the tapes for some stuff that circulates on bootlegs like Travellin Man. They didn't have the tape for Petrol Blues for the Some Girls deluxe version - they lifted it off a bootleg.

Date: April 11, 2015 15:38

stewedandkeefed
I am not sure that the Stones are very good at understanding the chronology of their own history. Mick J in particular. They would be probably better off if they hired someone off this board with an obsessive knowledge of the Stones to go in and listen to the vault material and categorize it. The one thing about the Exile deluxe version is that other than the Keith vocal version of what became Soul Survivor, I don't think they actually unearthed anything that was recorded in the basement of Nellcote and I suspect that Keith vocal was done at Sunset Sound in the final stages of putting Exile together. It is also possible that they don't have the tapes for some stuff that circulates on bootlegs like Travellin Man. They didn't have the tape for Petrol Blues for the Some Girls deluxe version - they lifted it off a bootleg.

A stunning history of mismanagement of the archives for such a major band, if that is in fact the case.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 11, 2015 16:11

treaclefingers
stewedandkeefed

A stunning history of mismanagement of the archives for such a major band, if that is in fact the case.

Just yesterday I thought: we get The Marquee just 44 years after it was filmed and recorded. Guess how many Stones fans have died in the meantime and never have seen or heard it. Just a thought. And then the idea that there are so many other, even much greater, shows from the golden era in the vaults that we would die for to listen at but probably are dead before they are released!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 11, 2015 16:14

I said years ago that they've lost lot of tapes from the 60/70's.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 11, 2015 16:44

That's the under appreciated contribution of the original bootleggers...their maybe unintentional role as caretakers of history for future generations. The same goes for 'collecting'. When you start asking yourself. "Why am I collecting all this stuff!?". There's always the rationale of that noble purpose to explain your mania to yourself and others...

Date: April 11, 2015 16:46

kleermaker
treaclefingers
stewedandkeefed

Just yesterday I thought: we get The Marquee just 44 years after it was filmed and recorded. Guess how many Stones fans have died in the meantime and never have seen or heard it. Just a thought. And then the idea that there are so many other, even much greater, shows from the golden era in the vaults that we would die for to listen at but probably are dead before they are released!

Interesting, and though I know Mick is not one to dwell on the past and based on that, everything from 1972 or so onward might not be so readily available (although they probably started taking better care of things as time progressed), how is it possible that ABKCO, that was notorious for releasing stuff the Stones didn't want released through the 70s...how is it even possible they aren't milking it for everything it's worth right now?

The band is touring, free publicity for them...any damn thing worth releasing (and they did a fine job with Charlie is My Darling and GYYYO Super Deluxe), should be packaged together...early unreleased material, super deluxe albums of Aftermath, TSMR, BB and LIB, live stuff...it's all doable.

Instead, we get 'kleer vinyl' (sorry) releases...cute, but not exactly historically significant or targeted to a particularly wide demographic.

I don't get it...I'd thought profit was a worthy motive.

Date: April 11, 2015 17:04

CousinC
I said years ago that they've lost lot of tapes from the 60/70's.

Now that's what I call a capital crime! Unbelievable.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 11, 2015 17:24

treaclefingers

Profit comes from touring nowadays.
The bunch of reissues don't pay tribute to an era of the band (Exile SG) they're done a minima to create media attention that'll benefit the band as a touring entity.

A decent SF or EOMS reissue would be made of 5 or 6 cds with a deluxe booklet.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 11, 2015 18:41

To be honest they've released a lot of stuff over the years...they just should have real fans put them together! The Ya-ya's deluxe should have been an expanded complete concert...

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 11, 2015 18:42

There are a couple of pretty good quality kick@$$ SF out takes out there for anyone who doesn't have them already. Various versions of Brown Sugar, etc.

Date: April 11, 2015 20:50

dcba
treaclefingers

Profit comes from touring nowadays.
The bunch of reissues don't pay tribute to an era of the band (Exile SG) they're done a minima to create media attention that'll benefit the band as a touring entity.

A decent SF or EOMS reissue would be made of 5 or 6 cds with a deluxe booklet.

ABKCO is what I was talking about, and they don't make their money from touring. They make their money from flogging the catalogue.

PLUS, even if we are talking about post 1971 - again, it's the record company that is pushing this stuff out. MJ & Co don't even need to be involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-12 00:12 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: April 12, 2015 06:31

They need someone like Ernst Jorgensen who was an Elvis fan and now oversees the Elvis Presley recording archives.

Re: 'Sticky Fingers' reissue in December?
Date: April 12, 2015 15:17

GetYerAngie
bye bye johnny
Stones Planet Brazil reports it's the next reissue, and the band may be doing some rewrites for the expected bonus material.

[stonesplanetbrazil.blogspot.com.br]

[translate.google.com]

Sounds great if it is true.

??? Surely you don't mean rewrites???

Posted by: slowhand ()
Date: April 12, 2015 18:37

Has anyone heard with any certainty whether or not the Leeds show will be in stereo? And, has any part of it been released in stereo, I hear "Let It Rock" was, so there is hope?

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 12, 2015 20:17

I believe that Tattoo You will be the last of the super deluxe reissues and since it was a compilation of sessions from throughout the 70 s, the extra tracks we all hope for from the post Abkco period will be on this I HOPE!

Date: April 12, 2015 20:34

slowhand
Has anyone heard with any certainty whether or not the Leeds show will be in stereo? And, has any part of it been released in stereo, I hear "Let It Rock" was, so there is hope?

There's always hope. What would the be the point in releasing another mono version while there is already an excellent one available on bootleg? But I agree that the L&G official was a letdown as for the audio quality. So we have to wait and see and listen.

Date: April 12, 2015 21:15

DrPete
I believe that Tattoo You will be the last of the super deluxe reissues and since it was a compilation of sessions from throughout the 70 s, the extra tracks we all hope for from the post Abkco period will be on this I HOPE!

Hum, let me guess... 5 alternate tracks and 5 live tracks (not from Tatoo You) from Sir Morgan’s Cove?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 12, 2015 21:16

stewedandkeefed
They would be probably better off if they hired someone off this board with an obsessive knowledge of the Stones to go in and listen to the vault material and categorize it.

Between Chris Kimsey and Don Was I believe the stuff is better cataloged and categorized that you may think. Don Was is quoted as saying they could release a good record every year for the next 40 years just from mining the vaults.

I'm not so sure but no doubt after the Stones are gone, someone is going to want to release this stuff for purely financial reasons. I wonder if Mick has taken steps to protect their legacy by legally locking this stuff up or something to control the quality of potential future releases. I also wonder how quickly interest in the vaults will drop off after this generation who adores them is gone and who specifically will be appointed as curator of the recordings. Possibly one of the Stone's children or a group composed of one from each of them. Stoneskids, LLC or something.

peace

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home