Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT/ " What happened to dynamic range ? "
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2013 19:26

Munichhilton
His Majesty
owlbynite
... no real tunes just don't hit me as music. smoking smiley

Music is just organised sound, whether you like or dislike specific organised sound does not affect what it is. smiling smiley

This is very true about music...but what about rap?

disorganized sound.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 11, 2013 19:38

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
His Majesty
owlbynite

Music is just organised sound, whether you like or dislike specific organised sound does not affect what it is. smiling smiley

disorganized sound.

A tossed salad...with a sh!t sandwich

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 11, 2013 20:40

When we just had, or mainly used, vinyl the emphasis was on quality. Every time we bought a new hi fi it was better than the last one. CDs changed that.
When they started with CDs the emphasis was still on quality, CDs were somehow 'better' but when portable CD walkmen, car CDs, mini hi fi' s, micro hi fi's etc the emphasis changed to convenience.

You bought a new album and you didn't have to sit on the front room by your expensive kit you could play it in the car, kitchen or even on the train on the way home. We no longer associated music with quality.

Just my thoughts. Could be bollocks.

Date: August 11, 2013 23:24

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
His Majesty
owlbynite

disorganized sound.

I'm not sure I'd like what you people eat down there in Texas.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 12, 2013 01:14

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
His Majesty
owlbynite

disorganized sound.

You wouldn't...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 12, 2013 05:54

kowalski
Naturalust
Now that high bandwith internet is becoming more available to the masses, it is possible for a MUCH better digital format to become standardized. But, Apple wouldn't sell as many tunes if the download times were longer, at least initially. So THAT is one of the big problems.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason why Apple is not interested in selling 24 bit music and why they have developped their "mastered for iTunes" thing. So they can claim they're selling "high quality" music in small files.

McDonald's says it uses the "highest quality of meat" for its... "food". What they don't tell you is what quality that is (below dog/cat food grade), what meat it is (the very leftovers of the killing process ie not meat but gradoux) and what level they are comparing it to (not a one).

iTunes is the McDonald's of music.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: August 12, 2013 06:25

Can I download a McRib?

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 12, 2013 06:29

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
His Majesty
owlbynite

disorganized sound.

You wouldn't...

You guys are funny! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 12, 2013 06:32

Lynd8
I believe it's actually "Bit#c Muhfu**ER" NOT JUST "Muhfu*&er" LOL

owlbynite
How about rap in this mess. kids had some on in the car, all I heard were verses like 'gotta watch this muhfu*@er over here & that muhf#*ker over there.' I finally asked, you really call this music? These aren't self-respecting songwriters. sad smiley

could be! thumbs up

Date: August 12, 2013 06:36

wolfmeister
owlbynite
How about rap in this mess. kids had some on in the car, all I heard were verses like 'gotta watch this muhfu*@er over here & that muhf#*ker over there.' I finally asked, you really call this music? These aren't self-respecting songwriters. sad smiley

that's a bit harsh. you just dont get hiphop/rap

Already said I do like some of them....but listening to a string of 4-letter words to no melody isn't much to get. of course, as we all know, there's bad rock n roll out there too plus all other genres. smoking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 12, 2013 12:39

Braincapers
When we just had, or mainly used, vinyl the emphasis was on quality. Every time we bought a new hi fi it was better than the last one. CDs changed that.
When they started with CDs the emphasis was still on quality, CDs were somehow 'better' but when portable CD walkmen, car CDs, mini hi fi' s, micro hi fi's etc the emphasis changed to convenience.

You bought a new album and you didn't have to sit on the front room by your expensive kit you could play it in the car, kitchen or even on the train on the way home. We no longer associated music with quality.

Just my thoughts. Could be bollocks.

There is often some truth in bollocks ;^)

Even the best record decks still don't retrieve anything near all the musical information locked in an LP record groove .
The better the deck and playback system, the more information is retreived and the better it sounds.

With CD, the playback system soon starts to have equal or better resolution than the source disc...so improvements are finite and shortcomings more evident as you improve the playback system.

The potential of digital recording has certainly imnproved a lot over the last 20 or 25 years...but CD is, and always has been, a poor medium .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-12 12:40 by Spud.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 13, 2013 03:30

NoCode0680
Can I download a McRib?

Go ahead. Although there are no ribs with anything to do with Micky D's.

Date: August 14, 2013 00:47

owlbynite
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
His Majesty
owlbynite

disorganized sound.

You wouldn't...

so what'eryou by day then?

Date: August 14, 2013 04:30

good post.

compressed digital music is crap

people today listen to compressed audio on subpar headphones

and the compression thing that audiophiles SHOULD (and often are, to be fair) be concerned with is dynamic range compression, not data compression. that's a vastly more noticeable degradation.

Date: August 14, 2013 16:24

pinkfloydthebarber
good post.

compressed digital music is crap

people today listen to compressed audio on subpar headphones

and the compression thing that audiophiles SHOULD (and often are, to be fair) be concerned with is dynamic range compression, not data compression. that's a vastly more noticeable degradation.

Quite so...though the two often go hand in hand.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: August 14, 2013 16:34

Could it be that the dynamic range is eliminated even in the recording process with many current rock and pop bands, so that music is like some sound carpet and not very dynamic...So the dynamics is poor even before dynamic and data compression???

Date: August 14, 2013 16:56

Sort of.

Leaving the digital debate to one side, dynamic range is compressed for domestic music playback to suite the capabilities of typical mediocre playback equipment and moderate listening levels.

If you retain the full dynamic range of a musical recording [be it analogue or digital] and then play it back at a low volume, the quietest sounds and low level detail will be lost or barely audible .

To counteract this, compression effectively makes the loud bits quieter and the quiet bits therefore, relatively, louder.

It's a compromise to acheive a widely listenable result.
The problem is that it's overdone to the point that music loses all the "light and shade" and the dynamics of the peformance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-14 16:57 by Spud.

Date: August 15, 2013 11:13

treaclefingers
owlbynite
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
His Majesty
owlbynite

disorganized sound.

You wouldn't...

so what'eryou by day then?

asking me? smoking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 5, 2015 01:34

Just for fun: How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality?

[www.npr.org]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 6, 2015 03:17

latebloomer

[www.npr.org]

Interesting but it all depends on what gear you listen to your music.
You might not be able to tell the difference between a mp3 encoded file and a lossless file on computer speakers or tiny earbuds...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 03:29

when i first read this post i thought it referred to mick's singing on the tour. sorry for the interruption.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 6, 2015 03:45

kowalski
latebloomer

[www.npr.org]

Interesting but it all depends on what gear you listen to your music.
You might not be able to tell the difference between a mp3 encoded file and a lossless file on computer speakers or tiny earbuds...

True, speaker frequency response is very important. But it is also hugely dependent on the content of the music you are listening to ie) rock opera or acoustic soloist and of course how that music was recorded and mixed.

In general most people won't be able to immediately tell the difference between high bit rate .mp3 files and lossless digital files, even on a top end playback system.

Even vinyl and it's associated playback equipment had limitations and anomalies which could vary quite a bit.

Perhaps the best question is "How well can you Feel Audio Quality?". And is the one that makes you feel best actually the best theoretical quality?

I've posted it before but this site is a great database for listing the Dynamic Range of different releases and deserves to be included in this thread.

[dr.loudness-war.info]

Quite amazing that Dirty Work has the best dynamic range of any released Stones record...goes to show that even good mixing/mastering can't fix bad songs. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: June 6, 2015 04:27

latebloomer
[www.npr.org]
Ouch!!! I either need a good sound card in my PC (using built-in), better speakers (using $5 PC speakers) or I need new ears. Probably all of the above.

Interesting that I fared better on the stuff I had heard before and the a cappella bit.

In spite of the link making me feel like crap, thanks for posting this. Now I know how badly I need to work on my PC.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home