Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: GRRRegory creator Walton Ford on Stones fans - "I was glad that they didn’t like it "
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2013 15:54

............................................................."Never work with animals or children."

ROCKMAN

Re: GRRRegory creator Walton Ford on Stones fans - "I was glad that they didn’t like it "
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 7, 2013 16:12

ZantiMisfit
Um...'Tattoo You' did very well--it went to #1...?

I know that. However, you said for today, so therefor since Tattoo You has such a great cover shouldn't it be selling like mad?

Date: August 7, 2013 16:15

ZantiMisfit, you're also assumming that fantastic LP covers are a big part of the success of an LP. That's false. It's always about the music. It's coincidence that a great selling album like Some Girls has a fantastic cover. GRRR didn't sell anything close to Forty Licks because people already have Forty Licks. It's not always about having the #1 album because nowadays that happens with sales of 100,000 or so.

Not any kind of a accomplishment.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 7, 2013 17:01

what a tool

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 7, 2013 17:59

Glam Descendant
71Tele:

>Thank you, but I know what a "send up" is.

I didn't intend it to be condescending. I know that there are many here for whom English is a second language and I thought the expression would not translate well, so I tagged that definition on at the end for clarity.

That's ok...My point was simply (send-up or not) that it was a lazy thing to do to stick the tongue logo on King Kong. Lazy and unimaginative. The album should have been called "We Can't Be Bothered".

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 7, 2013 18:00

flacnvinyl
The album is called GRRR! but GRRRegory is sticking his tongue out. Shouldn't the album be called 'BLAAAHHH' instead?

Agree!

I might have liked it if the painting was of an angry looking gorilla gritting his teeth and showing his fangs... saying "Grrr!" Instead of the silly, smiley, cartoony red lips...

IMO, it's an amateurish use of the Stones' logo

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: August 7, 2013 18:22

I thought it was dumb.......like re-re-re-releasing a greatest hits package. Also of note.......the artist can act smug, but didn't they drop a bunch of gorilla BS?

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 7, 2013 20:11

I loved the gorilla from the jump and understood it was a marketing tool directed at younger audiences, theoretically to bring them into the Stones world with a hip, "that is so random" image. Gregory was created to be down with the kids and perhaps SELL THEM a greatest hits collection. Any music marketer with a lick of sense knows WE all have these songs many times over. At the same time any professional marketeer of nearly ANY product also knows selling much of anything to audiences over age 50 (i.e. Stones fans by and large) is a waste of time. That's why the 18 to 35 year old demographic is the eternal prize.

That said, I'm thinking GRRR! perhaps didn't succeed in the manner to which was hoped. Many of us didn't buy it and the young'uns likely didn't either to any significant degree. It cost too much, was available in too many configurations and the packaging was chintzy and minimalist. Perhaps they shot the budget on the gorilla.

I did notice Gregory was far less omnipresent during the Spring tour than when I saw the Stones in Brooklyn last December. Then they had cartoons of him on the video screen before the show which were quite amusing. I looked forward to my family seeing them in the Spring but they were nowhere to be found nor was much promo imagery around the venue. Perhaps Ford is having a hissy-fit because the campaign bombed. It happens.

Ford DID have one very salient point, however, i.e. the Stones having a large contingent of fans "who are always mad at them."

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: August 7, 2013 21:28

The ape was crap. Lousy record cover.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 7, 2013 21:42

It matched Mick's gorilla suit he wore during SFTD... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: August 7, 2013 21:45

Lets slap an ape on it! They'll still buy it!

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: August 7, 2013 22:23

dcba
It matched Mick's gorilla suit he wore during SFTD... eye rolling smiley
The gorilla suit , the gorilla and the album name GRRR, are all, to me, cringe inducingly bad ideas. I remember thinking, seeing Gregory and that cape in SFTD, this is the best they could come up with? Embarassing. In the same category as the inflatable penis, and elephants on stage, which is where Keith once said he drew the line. Actually, elephants on stage sounds pretty neat. A lot could go wrong though!

Date: August 8, 2013 06:44

I thought it was hilarious and still do. It doesn't look any tackier than the clearly-70s-style inspired cartoony artwork it's aspiring to be. If it was released in the 70s no one would've complained . . .

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 8, 2013 07:02

It would still have looked ugly and I wouldn't have wanted it on my wall, I mean, my idea of what looks interesting/attractive/fun hasn't changed THAT much.

Date: August 8, 2013 17:26

CanYouHearTheMusic
I thought it was hilarious and still do. It doesn't look any tackier than the clearly-70s-style inspired cartoony artwork it's aspiring to be. If it was released in the 70s no one would've complained . . .

No. Bad is bad regardless of when it's released. The happy gorilla with the logo is beyond slick.

Aside from it being a gorilla with the logo, and a gorilla that seems to be happy and smiling, the slick part is almost just as bad.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2013 17:50

R
I loved the gorilla from the jump and understood it was a marketing tool directed at younger audiences, theoretically to bring them into the Stones world with a hip, "that is so random" image. Gregory was created to be down with the kids and perhaps SELL THEM a greatest hits collection. Any music marketer with a lick of sense knows WE all have these songs many times over. At the same time any professional marketeer of nearly ANY product also knows selling much of anything to audiences over age 50 (i.e. Stones fans by and large) is a waste of time. That's why the 18 to 35 year old demographic is the eternal prize.

That said, I'm thinking GRRR! perhaps didn't succeed in the manner to which was hoped. Many of us didn't buy it and the young'uns likely didn't either to any significant degree. It cost too much, was available in too many configurations and the packaging was chintzy and minimalist. Perhaps they shot the budget on the gorilla.

I did notice Gregory was far less omnipresent during the Spring tour than when I saw the Stones in Brooklyn last December. Then they had cartoons of him on the video screen before the show which were quite amusing. I looked forward to my family seeing them in the Spring but they were nowhere to be found nor was much promo imagery around the venue. Perhaps Ford is having a hissy-fit because the campaign bombed. It happens.

Ford DID have one very salient point, however, i.e. the Stones having a large contingent of fans "who are always mad at them."

If they'd have wanted the younger audiences, a picture of Justin Bieber with the tongue superimposed would have hit the mark.

The t-shirt would have sold like a bitch.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: August 8, 2013 18:12

CanYouHearTheMusic

The cover is funny but it seems people here try to see what they call "good taste" where there is only humor.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 8, 2013 19:35

mitch
CanYouHearTheMusic

The cover is funny but it seems people here try to see what they call "good taste" where there is only humor.

Probably at age 12 , the Grrrorilla would have amused me but for whatever reason at 54 it doesn't;I don't even care about King Kong.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: August 8, 2013 19:42

rollmops
Probably at age 12 , the Grrrorilla would have amused me but for whatever reason at 54 it doesn't;I don't even care about King Kong.
Rock and roll,
Mops

You aged.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: August 8, 2013 21:47

i do not dislike Grrregory, viewing at the Merchandise Truck in Newark he is imponent and have some charisma...specially before the encore, when he smells the crowd and knock the screen...

to my kid do not dislike neither...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2013 23:28

rogerriffin
i do not dislike Grrregory, viewing at the Merchandise Truck in Newark he is imponent and have some charisma...specially before the encore, when he smells the crowd and knock the screen...

to my kid do not dislike neither...

love the unopened packages...I presume you ordered a fourth copy that is open?

Did you get the vinyl as well?

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: August 8, 2013 23:33

Two friends and i ordered together to get a better shipping cost...

i only have Superdeluxe, Bluray and Slipcase editions...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 9, 2013 00:09

Your kid = extremely attractive
Grrrrregory = even less attractive by comparison

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 9, 2013 00:17

At first, I was not amused. Then I did not like it. After that, I became used to it. Followed by a short period when I actually quite liked it. Then I hated it. After that, it left me cold. Then it made me laugh. At one time it made me cry. And now...guess what.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 9, 2013 00:19

You've joined the circus???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 9, 2013 00:23

alimente
At first, I was not amused. Then I did not like it. After that, I became used to it. Followed by a short period when I actually quite liked it. Then I hated it. After that, it left me cold. Then it made me laugh. At one time it made me cry. And now...guess what.

It gets you aroused?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 9, 2013 00:35

"But some fans weren’t as excited about the logo. “A lot of people didn’t like it at all,” Ford says. “That was good. I was glad that they didn’t like it. I mean, the last people who I wanted to please were Rolling Stones fans.”

Ford continues, “They are really nasty. It’s a general rule they have a fan base that just seem to be always angry at the Rolling Stones for a lot of reasons. They’ve got their own grudges. I shouldn’t say that I didn’t really care. I probably did care, but when the Rolling Stones were doing their best work, they were a step ahead of the people that loved them so much. I thought, ‘How cool that I get an opportunity to piss their fans off?'"

[www.rollingstone.com]

Walton Ford aint talking about me, I liked the gorilla from the moment I saw the King Kong meets the Rolling Stones mascot..... and the more people whined and cried about it, the more I liked it. And I still like it. If I needed more Stones crap to wear, I would have bought that cool sweater with the gorilla on the back for only 75 bucks, the bargain of the bunch..... it looks like it is sold out now and no picture to be had anymore.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: August 9, 2013 00:49

I did not like it at first, but as the tour rolled on the logo absorbed into by spirit, as King Kong, all the great Bluesman and of course, were the Rolling Stones, were still here and we are ......and always will be the King of the Hill, so yes I really like it now, it is etched in with their continuing legacy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-09 00:53 by 2120Wolf.

Date: August 9, 2013 01:04

stonehearted
Big Al
The Stones have never used an animal in any of their promotional artwork before, have they?

Once, but it seemed to make a bit more sense.

Cats Eyes on Between The Buttons - also they were going to use a 3 legged goose for the Decembers Children cover but the goose hobbled away right before the photo shoot, so they decided to change it (bummer).

Date: August 9, 2013 01:17

schillid
alimente

It gets you aroused?
Please don't wet your pants.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home