Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: GRRRegory creator Walton Ford on Stones fans - "I was glad that they didn’t like it "
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 6, 2013 20:59

dcba
mitch

Good taste is art enemy.

Correct BUT when the band looked for "tastelesness" they went for Warhol and R. Frank. thumbs up

Now they knock at the door of this Audubon wannabe... Yuck!

How true. Just like they used to have Nicky Hopkins, now they have Chuck Leavell. What someone like Walton Ford doesn't understand is that Stones fans don't hate the band, but they may hate certain things about the past few years. If the rest of the band had gone off in the sunset with Bill in '91, there would be a lot less to bitch about. There's barely an album's worth of good, original studio work since then. There were some good tours, but even that is fading fast. I contend that a lot of pissed off Stones fans simply remember when it was really, really good, and they express their sadness in anger at times.

Walton Ford wants it both ways, to be cool and dismissive, and sell his schlock for outrageous prices. In that sense he's a great modern artist, for a naïve group of patrons.

Re: GRRRegory creator Walton Ford on Stones fans - "I was glad that they didn’t like it "
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 6, 2013 20:59

I liked it, at first. I dig anything Stones.

After my few 50 & Counting concerts and the adventures to them. I LOVE Grrregory now!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 6, 2013 21:16

Papo
Normally, I would have bought a lot more merchandise at Hyde Park. I love mugs with motives of my favourite artists or their logos.
This time around I avoided anything with 'Grrregory' on it and this included mugs, t-shirts and more.
And I noticed that many people around me at the Hyde Park merchandise stand discussed it and were looking for anything without "that ugly thing" on it.

Makes me think that "Grrregory" did not work well as a selling point.

Very good point...I didn't buy anything either...could you imagine walking around with a t-shirt of that image?

No need to invite abuse on oneself.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 6, 2013 21:18

sonomastone
bye bye johnny
Rolling Stones Gorilla Logo Artist Slams Critics

Walton Ford offering limited-edition etching of widely seen gorilla logo

PK Shop

By Patrick Doyle
August 5, 2013 12:30 PM ET

When the Rolling Stones were organizing their 50th anniversary celebrations, Mick Jagger approached his friend, contemporary artist Walton Ford – who has made a career painting naturalist scenes – to design a logo. In the Seventies spirit of the National Lampoon magazine and "grotesque ungerground comics," Ford repurposed one of his sympathetic paintings of King Kong, adding the band’s famous tongue-and-lips logo. "I saw the Rolling Stones as a sort of silverback,” Ford tells Rolling Stone. “All the metaphors of King Kong and all of that are applicable – their kind of enormity of their accomplishment over the period of 50 years.”

The band loved the image. “The irreverence of Walton Ford’s imagery captured the spirit of the tour,” they said in a statement. They used it on the cover of their 50th anniversary compilation GRRR!, and in marketing their massive "50 and Counting" tour, at one point displaying the piece at 50 locations around the world.

But some fans weren’t as excited about the logo. “A lot of people didn’t like it at all,” Ford says. “That was good. I was glad that they didn’t like it. I mean, the last people who I wanted to please were Rolling Stones fans.”

Ford continues, “They are really nasty. It’s a general rule they have a fan base that just seem to be always angry at the Rolling Stones for a lot of reasons. They’ve got their own grudges. I shouldn’t say that I didn’t really care. I probably did care, but when the Rolling Stones were doing their best work, they were a step ahead of the people that loved them so much. I thought, ‘How cool that I get an opportunity to piss their fans off?'"

The logo is now for sale as a limited-edition etching of 1,000 signed and numbered by Ford, available at the Paul Kasmin Shop. “They are really beautiful,” says Ford, who has made a practice of creating etchings for the last decade. “I just go and work at this print shop and we use all the old tools that were used by Rembrandt, you know, this is a very ancient technique of marking on copper plate and making prints by hand. It seemed appropriate to do sort of an anachronistic tribute print to the 50th..”

The piece doesn't come cheap though; the price, available upon request, is over $5,000. “It’s just this is going to be an elitist, kind of expensive thing because the processes are expensive," says Ford, who's still buzzing about the experience. "I was born in 1960 and I had an older brother who collected records. The Rolling Stones were pretty much it for us growing up. That’s what we aspired to be – that sort of attitude."

[www.rollingstone.com]

sounds like he has the same attitue about Stones fans that the Stones do.

well he certainly seems comfortable in his dismissiveness.

On the other hand, I think he's probably miffed that we didn't 'understand' it.

Yeah, we didn't because it was just so deep and complex.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 6, 2013 22:31

Allow me to bring up something that has bothered me from the start...

The album is called GRRR! but GRRRegory is sticking his tongue out. Shouldn't the album be called 'BLAAAHHH' instead?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 6, 2013 22:39

I get the feeling that people who ordinarily likes kitsch (which most of the merchandise is about) doesn't like this kitsch gorilla. Maybe there is a limit for how much kitsch you can stomach?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 6, 2013 23:24

mitch
I don't think they wanted tastelesness for Exile. This is even one of the more elaborate artwork they ever did.
And they called Franck because they couldn't afford Man Ray.

According to the Stones In Exile DVD, when it came time to think of images for the album cover, Mick said that he and Charlie "went to loads and loads of bookshops in Los Angeles", and it appears that Charlie made the choice, as according to him "To me, Robert Franck was perfect for America and that time."

According to another source:

....after a foray into LA’s book stores turned up a copy of his celebrated The Americans, the legendary Swiss-born photographer Robert Frank was approached to produce the art work for Exile’s gatefold sleeve.

Charlie was very keen on Robert Frank,” says Jagger. “And when we asked him what his ideas were, it seemed a very easy thing for us to do. We knew it was going to be a gatefold cover and he had an instant idea for using collages and found material that we liked. So that was pretty cool. But it’s always good to work with people of a different kind of vision from the run-of-the-mill. It’s hard to do, because it’s very hard working with artists – often their ideas are totally impractical. But Robert’s idea for Exile was a good one. He’d obviously seen a record cover before."

Above text and quote taken from: [www.mickjagger.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 6, 2013 23:47

this guy really is clueless-

the fans dont hate the rolling stones,they hate when the band is lazy or off the mark....or off the mark because they are being lazy.

like putting out half-baked songs that we can tell would've been great if they would have spent more time on them or-

putting out shitty artwork by hack artists on their records and promotional items.stuff that just looks cheap and/or just plain stupid.

we're not pissed off at you douchebag,you dont have enough artistic ability to piss anyone off.we're pissed off at the band for using your crap artwork.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 7, 2013 00:06

I just hope he didn't get paid much for the creation, quite adolescent and unappealing to me. As far as the artists attitude towards Stones fans, what a piece of work he must be. I won't be searching out his artwork anytime soon.

The real loss, imho, was the opportunity to TURN ON the Stones fan base with an icon which would SELL craploads of merchandise, become an staple for future tours and be worn proudly by the aging generation of hard core stones fans.

Post tour, I still see alot of folks in airports and city streets wearing tongue logos but I have yet to see a single person wearing the gorilla.

A bitter bitter defeat for Walton Ford and a terrible lost opportunity to pick up a new fan base with happy, money spending, art appreciating Stones fans. peace

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2013 00:55

.........................................Won't you come see me Queen Kong

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: August 7, 2013 02:38

It was the coolest.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 7, 2013 02:47

flacnvinyl
Allow me to bring up something that has bothered me from the start...

The album is called GRRR! but GRRRegory is sticking his tongue out. Shouldn't the album be called 'BLAAAHHH' instead?

...what about...slurp.....point of view I guess.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: August 7, 2013 02:49

I must admit I liked it right a way and thought it was funny and I even bought a couple of T-shirts with that ape on it (No I didn't wear them, that's a little too much), but.....reading this:

“A lot of people didn’t like it at all,” Ford says. “That was good. I was glad that they didn’t like it. I mean, the last people who I wanted to please were Rolling Stones fans.”
I thought, ‘How cool that I get an opportunity to piss their fans off?'

Ford repurposed one of his sympathetic paintings of King Kong, adding the band’s famous tongue-and-lips logo.

He even admits that it was nothing new, but he just used something he already had made and just put the Stones logo tong on it. Pffff!

I think this is realy stupid and if he thinks that fans are even more stupid to spend their money on very expensive lithos and let him earn a lot of money, think twice, what a con-artist!

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 7, 2013 03:59

Ok, in my 2 other posts it is obvious how angry it's made me. I'm know I'm taking it too seriously and it was then the logic hit. This is pissing a lot of people off here and would BV had shut this thread down if it was a member of IORR was pissing people off like this? I've been here for years and regardless of bickering here and there, no one here has ever pissed me off. I am taking offense at this thread because it's like this Douche is taking a shot at ALL of us, all of my fellow members at IORR. I don't like when someone is "messin with my people". Do I make sense?

I know I make sense, I should had said, Do you feel me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-07 04:01 by nick.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 7, 2013 04:37

Glam Descendant
71Tele
He took the Stones' tongue logo and added it to King Kong. So it's not only bad art, it's lazy art.

It's a "send-up", not unlike the original logo, which was a send-up of paintings of the Hindu goddess Kali. They've done it numerous times, e.g., the Peelaert design for IORR, or the SG cover being a send-up of wig ads.

Noun

send-up (plural send-ups)

1.A satirical imitation of a work of art or a genre.

Thank you, but I know what a "send up" is. If that's what it's supposed to be I repeat: It's lazy.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 7, 2013 05:04

It's not worth going ape over... smileys with beer(I kill me).... Seriously we know our boys like money, the bottom line it was an unpopular shirt logo. I must admit I caught an interesting rap with a Philly beauty while I was on a T Shirt line over this subject. She was thoroughly impressed I knew the monkey's name, yes she was.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 7, 2013 05:51

Walton Ford: I mean, the last people who I wanted to please were Rolling Stones fans.

i wonder if he got that line from Mick Jagger ?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 7, 2013 06:09

ZantiMisfit
NEVER understood the criticism of this cover artwork and album title!!! The second I saw it I said--Yep--that's the Stones all right. It is very Stonesy...and I've been a fan since '68.

Anyone remember the print ad for 'Black & Blue'? The one for 'Monkey Grip' (how about THAT for an album title?!)? And the one for 'It's Only Rock 'N Roll'? The 'Devil's High-Heel' for 'Tattoo You'? The 'goat's head soup' picture in 'Goats Head Soup'?

It is very iconic and eye-catching--like 'Forty Licks,' 'Flashpoint,' 'Voodoo Lounge,' etc. Album covers can't be 'subtle and classy' these days--they HAVE to stand out in the crowd. The criticism is absurd.

Monkey Grip is not a Stones album.

Before GRRR came out Voodoo Lounge was their second worst LP cover. Now it's their third, behind Dirty Work, second worst, and GRRRR, the worst. Your view that LP covers need to "stand out in the crowd" is abusrd. Going by that mindset then Tattoo You and a gazillion other albums wih great LP covers should be selling like Waffle House hashbrowns because they "stand out in the crowd".

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: August 7, 2013 06:29

Um...'Tattoo You' did very well--it went to #1...?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 7, 2013 06:50

yeah

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 7, 2013 07:43

This situation reminds me of a comment I made a while back, that Mick probably hates people like me. Someone came in and said that's completely untrue, but I continue to have doubts. Anyhow, while I still enjoy the whole experience I try not to go over board as I used to. Another point (maybe someone already made?) is strange that at Glastonbury they used Mick Taylor on 4 songs to include CYHMK and MR, completely contradictory to Mick's claims of boring an audience, in this case one with few hard core fans in attendance at a massive gig. Long story short I believe there's a certain amount of resentment from The Stones side of the house. Maybe this is inherant to a long existance and relationship?

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: August 7, 2013 07:57

As someone else here said:

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: August 7, 2013 08:28

Let's not forget the dog inside the BB gatefold:

and the dog thing on the Urban Jungle poster

the wolves on the One Hit single:

the wild horses:

the leopard at the bottom right of Undercover

that thing on the left on the Licks poster:

and these pre-Homo Sapiens on No Security:

OK, so when have they NOT used animals? grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-07 08:30 by TimeIs.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 7, 2013 09:26

Was that "Wild Horses" imagery used for advertising? or sheet music? Thanks for sharing, that one's new to me.

P.S. Note the lasso font -- nice cheesy touch!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-07 09:32 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 7, 2013 10:18

71Tele:

>Thank you, but I know what a "send up" is.

I didn't intend it to be condescending. I know that there are many here for whom English is a second language and I thought the expression would not translate well, so I tagged that definition on at the end for clarity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-07 10:23 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: August 7, 2013 11:25

Walton Ford is obviously a total prick. $5,000? He is going to have a lot left over (hopefully).

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 7, 2013 11:39

This thread is the best thing that could happen to mr. Ford.

So, as I said before, I loved the yeti the mintute I saw it.

And, as a hypocrite, I love anything the Stones put out in my quest in being a nonconformist.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: August 7, 2013 14:47

stonehearted
According to the Stones In Exile DVD, when it came time to think of images for the album cover, Mick said that he and Charlie "went to loads and loads of bookshops in Los Angeles", and it appears that Charlie made the choice, as according to him "To me, Robert Franck was perfect for America and that time."

According to another source:

....after a foray into LA’s book stores turned up a copy of his celebrated The Americans, the legendary Swiss-born photographer Robert Frank was approached to produce the art work for Exile’s gatefold sleeve.

Charlie was very keen on Robert Frank,” says Jagger. “And when we asked him what his ideas were, it seemed a very easy thing for us to do. We knew it was going to be a gatefold cover and he had an instant idea for using collages and found material that we liked. So that was pretty cool. But it’s always good to work with people of a different kind of vision from the run-of-the-mill. It’s hard to do, because it’s very hard working with artists – often their ideas are totally impractical. But Robert’s idea for Exile was a good one. He’d obviously seen a record cover before."

Above text and quote taken from: [www.mickjagger.com]

Good Google search, but not deep enough.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 7, 2013 14:49

If Mr Ford is happy to have his design rejected by RS fans, and passed over when it came to merchandise sales, then that's great. However his 'épater les bourgeois' stance is not very convincing, and I am sure Mick was not best pleased when he saw the sales figures.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 7, 2013 15:51

Sounds opportunistic to say now, but I never quite understood why people hated it. I thought it was pretty ok - I didn't really care then and still don't care very much now, to be honest. Pretty funny the artist enjoyed pissing "us" off - it's true, we can be a whiny bunch I guess.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home