Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Top 10 Rolling Stones Bill Wyman Songs
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 30, 2013 10:08

Just ahead of Wyman's brief return to The Rolling Stones for a series of shows in 2012, Ultimate Classic Rock listed the top 10 songs done by The Rolling Stones during Wyman's time with the band, inviting readers to "Let us know what favorites featuring the mighty Mr. Wyman we may have missed...." Some of the comments say "Only ten?"

This web page also features as a side bar a list of the "20 Hottest Rockstar Daughters"

as well as the "Funniest Guitar Faces"

and several other topics of esoteric interest, such as

17 Rockers Who Died At Age 27

and

15 Times Rock Was Nearly Destroyed

and

The 100 Greatest Classic Rock Songs

10. Sway

What a classic! This slow groover from the band's 1971 masterpiece 'Sticky Fingers' is a thing of beauty. Jagger & Richards harmonies blend perfectly as the band provides a grinding groove. Wyman delivers the melodic anchor that holds it all together. Those subtle yet brilliant bass runs throughout are a Wyman trademark.

9. Miss You

The Stones go disco! That was the cry from diehard rockers at the time, but that didn't last long as the song became an instant hit and remains one of the band's most beloved tracks. "I suppose you could say I created what was happening on 'Miss You,'" Wyman boasted to Bass Player magazine. "The walking bass, that octave bass thing. After that, just about every band in the world took that idea at the time and used it in a song."

8. Paint It, Black

'Paint It, Black' is a perfect snapshot of the era in which it was created. Brian Jones' sitar perfectly compliments the powerhouse drive of Wyman and Watts. "I loved recording 'Paint It, Black,'" Wyman told Bass Player magazine. "When I laid on the floor and pumped the organ pedal with my fist, because I can’t play with my feet, that rhythm kind of made the record, because it was lacking something before I suggested doing that."

7. Monkey Man'

'Monkey Man' is a brooding masterpiece from the 'Let It Bleed' album, and deserves to be among the Top 10 Rolling Stones Bill Wyman Songs. The bassist is front and center and his subtle yet effective bass lines work their magic on this 1969 classic. 'Monkey Man' is one of the band's, and Wyman's, best performances.

6. Gimme Shelter

What can we say about 'Gimme Shelter' that hasn't been said time and again. It's not only a Top 10 Rolling Stones Bill Wyman Song, it's one of the greatest tracks in rock history. After an early attempt using a Keith Richards vocal, Jagger took his rightful place behind the mic and the rest, as they so often say, is history. Wyman's bass is so simple but so perfect for the mood of the song. The groove the band gets on here is sinister and inviting, thanks in large part to Wyman and Watts.

The top 5 at: [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Ian Showell/Hulton Archive, Getty Images

Re: Top 10 Rolling Stones Bill Wyman Songs
Date: July 30, 2013 10:39

Let's not forget this one:

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 30, 2013 10:40

Thats like saying "20 best songs done by The Who during Keith Moons age" or "20 most lame American comedy films during the the Adam Sandler/Ben Stiler age"...

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 30, 2013 17:23

What...no "In Another Land"?

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 30, 2013 17:26

Also, thundering fade out bass line on '19th Nervous Breakdown.'

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 30, 2013 18:47

I wonder if Bill will ever get his due for the counter melody bass on Start Me Up and Satisfaction? And Bill is the dominant musical force on Harlem Shuffle.

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: July 30, 2013 19:04

smileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 30, 2013 19:32

reg thorpe
What...no "In Another Land"?

3. 'In Another Land'

Actually released as a single under Wyman's name, this psychedlic wonder from the band's classic 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' album is 1967 pop in full lysergic color. Written and sung by Wyman, the use of phase and tremelo on his vocals only add to the magic of the record. Along with Watts, Jones, Jagger and Richards, the song also features contributions from Ronnie Lane and Steve Marriott of the Small Faces.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 30, 2013 19:51

DandelionPowderman
Let's not forget this one:

Great job Bill Wyman.
I am glad the rolling stones played that one to open the shows in 2012. They dropped it in 2013 but I am amongst the ones who enjoyed the reference to the early 60's/swinging London era that was made by playing the Lennon/Mc Cartney's song at those few shows. Although I was too young to appreciate it , in retrospect, I dig a lot of the music that came from that decade.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home