Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT? NYC lawmakers vote 47-1 to move Madison Square Garden in 10 years
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 25, 2013 23:00

As the site of most of Ya-Ya's recording I figured this was at least slightly relevant.

Link to one article: NY Daily News

Text from NY Daily News Article:
Madison Square Garden now faces a 10-year shot clock to leave its midtown location.

The City Council voted Wednesday to limit the arena’s permit for its location atop Penn Station to a decade — ignoring pleas from the Garden’s owners and celebrities like Knicks superfan Spike Lee and former Knicks greats like Earl Monroe and Walt Frazier, who lobbied the Council to extend the Garden’s permit indefinitely.

Council members say they would rather see the Garden move to make way for an improved Penn Station and voted, 47 to 1, to offer the more limited permit, although it could be extended in the future.

“Madison Square Garden will have to move, and I think this permit sends the message that that work needs to begin now,” City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said. “We need to make sure Penn Station becomes what we need it to be, a really 21st century grand entrance into the greatest city in the world, not ... what Sen. [Daniel] Moynihan or others historically described as a bunch of rat tunnels that lead people in and out of the city every day.”

Since the City Planning Department already approved the permit, the Council vote makes it final. It does not need a signoff from Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

The Madison Square Garden Company predicted the arena has a “bright” future. “Madison Square Garden has operated at its current site for generations, and has been proud to bring New Yorkers some of the greatest and most iconic moments in sports and entertainment,” the company said in a statement Wednesday. “We now look forward to the reopening of the arena in fall 2013, following the completion of our historic, three-year, nearly billion-dollar transformation, which will ensure our future is as bright as our celebrated past.”

Wikipedia about MSG: MSG

I didn't realize it was so "new" & don't feel so badly about my own Boston Garden having been torn down and rebuilt now that I know a bit more about MSG. Still miss the "Gahden" though.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Re: OT? NYC lawmakers vote 47-1 to move Madison Square Garden in 10 years
Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: July 25, 2013 23:08

I still miss the old Boston "Gahden" for sports, not at all for music events though.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 26, 2013 00:30

They just spent 3 years and a billion dollars renovating it and now they want them to move?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 26, 2013 01:11

What goes around comes around: 50 years ago, they demolished the original Penn Station to make way for the Madison Square Garden, now they're demolishing the Madison Square Garden to make way for the new Penn Station.

Perhaps 50 years from now, they'll demolish the new Penn Station to make way for a new new Madison Square Garden--

but hey, if the Madison Square Garden is moved, can it still be called the Madison Square Garden?

It will probably acquire some drab-sounding corporate name for its next incarnation, the way the Boston Garden became the TD [Bank] Garden.

The MSG owners will need corporate sponsorship for the new location, having just thrown $1 billion in renovation costs, so after it moves, we should expect the name of Madison Square Garden to be changed to Capital One Garden, or something equally atrocious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-26 01:18 by stonehearted.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 26, 2013 01:16

Wow, if they have to move and build a new one, is there any area in downtown Manhatten that's available?

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: July 26, 2013 01:19

Not off-topic to any fan of the 1969 tour & the Gimme Shelter movie.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 26, 2013 01:53

stonehearted

but hey, if the Madison Square Garden is moved, can it still be called the Madison Square Garden?

Since 1879 there have been four different buildings called Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-26 01:57 by tatters.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 26, 2013 02:36

When I was in Newark last year to see the Stones at the Prudential Center I took the train several times from Penn Station Newark to Penn Station NYC. I was surprised at how much more beautiful and interesting the Newark building is than NYC Penn. Still, MSG and the surrounding area more than make up for the drab appearance of the station. Too bad it going to be moved.

Date: July 26, 2013 02:49

tatters
stonehearted

Since 1879 there have been four different buildings called Madison Square Garden in New York City.

True--and in fact the current MSG shouldn't even bear the name, as unlike its predecessors it isn't even located in the area. It should be called the Penn Plaza Garden.

Like when they moved the Giants to San Francisco--they didn't keep calling them the New York Giants, did they?

I don't see any Garden here, do you?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 26, 2013 02:54

stonehearted
True--and in fact the current MSG shouldn't even bear the name, as unlike its predecessors it isn't even located in the area. It should be called the Penn Plaza Garden.

Previous Garden was further from Madison Square Park than the current one.

Date: July 26, 2013 03:03

Then the previous Garden shouldn't have bore the Madison Square name either.

Is the Madison Square Garden like the New York Deli? It can just appear anywhere, not have anything to do with New York, and still be called the New York Deli?

I guess I'm OK after all with the demolition of the present "Madison Square" garden. It'll just reappear, same name different building, and who will know or care?

Maybe the next Madison Square Garden will be in Brooklyn, or even New Jersey.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: July 26, 2013 08:57

mr_dja
As the site of most of Ya-Ya's recording I figured this was at least slightly relevant.

Link to one article: NY Daily News

Madison Square Garden now faces a 10-year shot clock to leave its midtown location.

The City Council voted Wednesday to limit the arena’s permit for its location atop Penn Station to a decade — ignoring pleas from the Garden’s owners and celebrities like Knicks superfan Spike Lee and former Knicks greats like Earl Monroe and Walt Frazier, who lobbied the Council to extend the Garden’s permit indefinitely.

Council members say they would rather see the Garden move to make way for an improved Penn Station and voted, 47 to 1, to offer the more limited permit, although it could be extended in the future.

“Madison Square Garden will have to move, and I think this permit sends the message that that work needs to begin now,” City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said. “We need to make sure Penn Station becomes what we need it to be, a really 21st century grand entrance into the greatest city in the world, not ... what Sen. [Daniel] Moynihan or others historically described as a bunch of rat tunnels that lead people in and out of the city every day.”

Since the City Planning Department already approved the permit, the Council vote makes it final. It does not need a signoff from Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

The Madison Square Garden Company predicted the arena has a “bright” future. “Madison Square Garden has operated at its current site for generations, and has been proud to bring New Yorkers some of the greatest and most iconic moments in sports and entertainment,” the company said in a statement Wednesday. “We now look forward to the reopening of the arena in fall 2013, following the completion of our historic, three-year, nearly billion-dollar transformation, which will ensure our future is as bright as our celebrated past.”

Wikipedia about MSG: MSG

I didn't realize it was so "new" & don't feel so badly about my own Boston Garden having been torn down and rebuilt now that I know a bit more about MSG. Still miss the "Gahden" though.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I remember seeing shows at the Old MSG in the '60s before the one at Penn even existed! Don't recall the address, was just a little kid. winking smiley

Date: July 26, 2013 15:30

latebloomer
When I was in Newark last year to see the Stones at the Prudential Center I took the train several times from Penn Station Newark to Penn Station NYC. I was surprised at how much more beautiful and interesting the Newark building is than NYC Penn. Still, MSG and the surrounding area more than make up for the drab appearance of the station. Too bad it going to be moved.

The current Penn Station is just a hole in the ground. The one they tore down in 1963 was magnificent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-26 15:35 by tatters.

Date: July 26, 2013 15:41

owlbynite

I remember seeing shows at the Old MSG in the '60s before the one at Penn even existed! Don't recall the address, was just a little kid. winking smiley

It was at 8th Avenue and 49th Street. I vaguely remember seeing the circus there as a child in 1965, but I think it was known mainly as a boxing venue. I'm not aware of any pop or rock concerts ever having taken place there, mainly because there were no pop or rock groups (other than the Beatles) playing in venues that size until after the "Old Garden" had been torn down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-26 15:46 by tatters.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: July 26, 2013 16:24

tatters
latebloomer

The current Penn Station is just a hole in the ground. The one they tore down in 1963 was magnificent.

It is a shame they tore down the old Penn Station...Back in the late 60's they wanted to tear down Grand Central Station in NYC and build a tower taller then the Empire State Building but luckily they were able to save that grand old dame by designating it a historical landmark.

I have mixed emotions when I hear about MSG being moved. I saw a lot of amazing concerts there in the 70's, Jethro Tull, Yes, ELP, Queen, Sly and the Family Stones etc. It was one of my favorite places to see a concert. The atmosphere was amazing back then.

But I felt the same way about the old Yankee Stadium baseball park until I went to the new Yankee Stadium. As much as I loved the old the new one is simply stunning and a great place to see a baseball game, if you can afford the tickets LOL. You think the Stones tickets are over priced go buy a ticket for a Yankee game. Your jaw will drop.

If they do build a new MSG hopefully they will keep a little of the old MSG arena look and feel like they did at the new Yankee Stadium.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-26 16:26 by oldschool.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 26, 2013 19:00

the old penn station was a grand entrance into nyc .with pink italian marble , that was covered up by the dirt and grime of a major metropolis .people were skeeved out buy it in the late fifties early sixities .all it needed was to be power and steam washed to get rid of the grime then, all the luster of the italian marble would shine through . the design was based on the old roman baths .truly magnificent modern marvel which we probaly will never see in our lifetime ever again . great article about 12-15 years ago about the history of the grand dame of all train stations in the NEW YORKER magazine.out of the rubble of the destruction of penn was born the ny preservation society ,which helped save grand central station!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 26, 2013 19:21

MSG is for the Stones, but, I have a copy of Lorraine B. Diehl's book "The Late, Great Pennsylvania Station". As early as 1951, (Diehl, pg. 144) the Pennsylvania Railway discussed air rights over the station for the World Trade Center. The priority of real estate values over preservation prevailed, the railway was broke, and the US lost a great landmark. Funny how this all goes full circle.

Date: July 27, 2013 07:41

tatters
owlbynite

It was at 8th Avenue and 49th Street. I vaguely remember seeing the circus there as a child in 1965, but I think it was known mainly as a boxing venue. I'm not aware of any pop or rock concerts ever having taken place there, mainly because there were no pop or rock groups (other than the Beatles) playing in venues that size until after the "Old Garden" had been torn down.

Thanks for info. Used to go to the National Horse Show at the old Garden, have pics of the last one held there. cool smiley

Date: July 27, 2013 07:49

tatters
latebloomer

fabulous pics, thanks! just there in june and also grand central sta (so glad that was saved.) about all I can say about the current penn sta is they've cleaned it up. enjoyed many events at MSG & the convenience of going straight into penn to get there. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 27, 2013 09:12

Current Penn Station is one of the worst urban planning nightmares of the century. It is cramped, confusing, and uncomfortable. Something must be done.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 27, 2013 15:07

Can't they just repair the shot clock?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 28, 2013 07:26

I have lots of fond memories of concerts and Ranger games at the current Madison Square Garden. But the current Penn Station, on top of which MSG sits, is a wretched dump that is beneath the dignity of the greatest city in the United States. As many have noted, the current MSG is the fourth building named MSG. Even if Jimmy Dolan just spent a billion to renovate MSG, there must be a way to write all that off, and the fifth MSG is sure to be an absolute mecca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-28 08:16 by ab.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: July 28, 2013 08:18

They have a stupid ass Billy Joel banner in there where a Stones tongue should hang.

Date: July 30, 2013 10:15

Shott
They have a stupid ass Billy Joel banner in there where a Stones tongue should hang.
New Yorkers supporting New Yorkers...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home