Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick "I Want My MTV!" Jagger
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: July 27, 2013 05:27

I am reading a book called I Want my MTV that has a lot of quotes from the channel's founders. I was surprised to read that Mick Jagger was said to be the key to the success of MTV in 1982 when he agreed to appear in one of those "I want my MTV" promos. The campaign was used to pressure American cable TV operators to carry MTV. MTV was about to shut down as too many local cable operators had refused to added them.

Les Garland who was an executive at MTV back then said Mick was a friend so he asked him to do it. Mick first said the Stones do not do commercials but he was convinced when the guy told him how videos would help the band and he gave him ONE DOLLAR. Mick did the promo as a favor and, according to former MTV execs, gave the channel enough credibility to convince cable operators to carry the network. Pete Townshend and David Bowie also did one after Jagger agreed to.

I seem to remember MTV really getting behind Undercover one year later, even doing a documentary (second video below). Even so, the 80s were not a great period for the band. Anyway, lots of neat tidbits about the Stones and many others in this book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-27 05:29 by punkfloyd.

Re: Mick "I Want My MTV!" Jagger
Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: July 27, 2013 07:23

Back in '81-2 I worked for a cable tv co. when MTV was a baby. Still have one of those original MTV promo T-shirts they gave us. Thinking about ebaying it! cool smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 27, 2013 08:21

Why hire Jagger and Townshend to promote MTV? Were Michael Jackson and whoever else was hot at the time, not available?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 27, 2013 10:53

Too sad about MTV, brainwashing people into thinking that they needed to see Hollywood mini-movies to enjoy music rather than radio, album covers, and records.

I was turning 15 when MTV started--I hated the idea then, and I hate it now.

MTV destroyed rock n roll--turned it into a corporate million dollar Hollywood style hussel.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 27, 2013 11:55

stonehearted
Too sad about MTV, brainwashing people into thinking that they needed to see Hollywood mini-movies to enjoy music rather than radio, album covers, and records.

I was turning 15 when MTV started--I hated the idea then, and I hate it now.

MTV destroyed rock n roll--turned it into a corporate million dollar Hollywood style hussel.
You definitely have a point. I was (just) a few years past 15 when it started. Seemed really cool for first few months but that wore off quickly. Do they even play music anymore? I wouldn't know, don't watch.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: July 27, 2013 12:51

Interesting what Frank Zappa has to say about this in 1985.
At 01:44 he starts with "this is radio history, ok?" to end his college two minutes later with "...and that's the history of rock n roll."

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 27, 2013 17:48

I was always more of a VH1 guy myself...

Date: July 27, 2013 19:52

Although the 'Undercover' album is one of my top 5 faves, the 'Undercover' mini-movie itself I've never liked. Julian Temple's involvement was not a good thing. He did the same thing with David Bowie on the 'Blue Jean' mini-movie. His stock look was too grainy for me or something. Temple really helped push MTV in a wrong direction, IMHO. I've always been happiest just to see performance/concert videos.
The bit about recalling the original(s) promo of 'JJF,' and J.J. bringing up just then starting to play 'Doors' promo's, and Mick saying the American market didn't want them back when they were first made is prescient- 'VH-1' was just a couple years away. Though it didn't help matters, It very much aided in finally polarizing the popular music scene, I recall 'VH-1' going 'Country' very quickly for a time.
It is interesting to look back and realize how truly smart and informed J.J. Jackson was in this (4 part YouTube) piece. Almost all of the original MTV 'VJ's' where from radio & rock journalism I believe.
I can recall going to my cousins house just to watch 'MTV,' back in '82,' they had it, we didn't. I wanted my 'MTV...' It was fun & new those early years.

Date: July 27, 2013 21:04

Munichhilton
I was always more of a VH1 guy myself...

Oh! About that. I learned from the book that VH1 was never supposed to succeed in any way. MTV Networks just created it as a defensive measure in the mid 80s as Ted Turner was launching a rival music video channel that would cater to older tastes.

They didn't spend any money on the brand or on-air talent because it was only supposed to last until Ted Turner gave up. I guess it was more popular than they expected because it's stuck around after the competition went away.

By the way a lot of new (old) Jagger interview video seemed to have appears on YouTube recently. I love watching that old stuff particularly from 1982 to 1986.

Date: July 28, 2013 05:23

I could not agree more.

FirstTimeSeattle81
Although the 'Undercover' album is one of my top 5 faves, the 'Undercover' mini-movie itself I've never liked. Julian Temple's involvement was not a good thing. He did the same thing with David Bowie on the 'Blue Jean' mini-movie. His stock look was too grainy for me or something. Temple really helped push MTV in a wrong direction, IMHO. I've always been happiest just to see performance/concert videos.
The bit about recalling the original(s) promo of 'JJF,' and J.J. bringing up just then starting to play 'Doors' promo's, and Mick saying the American market didn't want them back when they were first made is prescient- 'VH-1' was just a couple years away. Though it didn't help matters, It very much aided in finally polarizing the popular music scene, I recall 'VH-1' going 'Country' very quickly for a time.
It is interesting to look back and realize how truly smart and informed J.J. Jackson was in this (4 part YouTube) piece. Almost all of the original MTV 'VJ's' where from radio & rock journalism I believe.
I can recall going to my cousins house just to watch 'MTV,' back in '82,' they had it, we didn't. I wanted my 'MTV...' It was fun & new those early years.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 28, 2013 15:03

I want my... I want my... I want my MTV.

Wasnt there a rumor that MTV was actually going to start showing more again MUSIC, versus being the go-to garbage channel for trash e.g. glamorizing being a teenage mom etc etc.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 28, 2013 16:08

Anyone remember the contest in 1989 to go out on the road with The Stones?
The winner got to fly on their private plane and hit a concert or two...

Damn, I sooooo wanted to win that.
I Want MY MTV!

I spent/wasted four or five years of my life watching that channel between 1986-1990

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: July 30, 2013 09:57

When they commenced, we all watched those music videos all day at work & all nite...Wish they hadn't replaced them with a bunch of crap...an occasional band movie ok but they can keep the teenage mom garbage...yawning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1410
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home