Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Missing Bill Wyman's playing
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:13

I have been listening Live at Leeds 82 and now I realize how much I'm really missing Bill Wyman's bass playing style, and I don't usually even pay very much attention to bass playing at all! But his playing style is just so much more "rock'n roll" than Darryl's fancy bass playing. Anyone agree???

Re: Missing Bill Wyman's playing
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:15

Agreed! even Dylan says that...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:19

I agree that Bill was great, and worked great with the stones, and that his bass playing was superb in 82 (the whole band was).

I don't agree that it was "more" something than Darryl's. Let's leave it to only different.

C

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:24

Bill had/has his style but I must admit that I've started paying attention to his "uniqueness" only after reading an article about him, describing his pioneering work and contribution for the R&R style bass playing. Its only AFTER this stage that I started noticing his superb bass support especially in certain live recordings where he is high on the mix (like L&G from 1972 - the legendary GS led by MT with all 3 rytem section players at their best).

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:27

Wroclaw
Bill had/has his style but I must admit that I've started paying attention to his "uniqueness" only after reading an article about him, describing his pioneering work and contribution for the R&R style bass playing. Its only AFTER this stage that I started noticing his superb bass support especially in certain live recordings where he is high on the mix (like L&G from 1972 - the legendary GS led by MT with all 3 rytem section players at their best).

Do you have a link to the article? I'd love to read it

Date: July 23, 2013 12:32

sonomastone
Wroclaw

Do you have a link to the article? I'd love to read it

It was one of those times you enter Wikipedia and start wondering around the WWW world from there... sorry, cant remember where.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:59

Bill's a great bass player. Supposedly he was given the opportunity to come back more than once but declined because of travel. Daryl does a good job. It all comes down to who Charlie wants to play with, as it should.

Date: July 23, 2013 13:02

crholmstrom
Bill's a great bass player. Supposedly he was given the opportunity to come back more than once but declined because of travel. Daryl does a good job. It all comes down to who Charlie wants to play with, as it should.

As saying "Bill" is much easier and shorter than saying "Daryl" I suspect Charlie REALLY prefers DJ over BW... had they been equal he would have chosen the one whose names had less Syllable... smoking smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 23, 2013 13:28

Wroclaw
crholmstrom

As saying "Bill" is much easier and shorter than saying "Daryl" I suspect Charlie REALLY prefers DJ over BW... had they been equal he would have chosen the one whose names had less Syllable... smoking smiley
The push over the cliff for Daryl was he played with Miles Davis. That would be huge credibility for Charlie.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: July 23, 2013 13:36

Wroclaw
crholmstrom

I think Charlie loves playing with them both, after all Bill is Charlies mate of 50 years. Lets not forget that those of us who picked up the bass because of the stones were influenced to play by Bill not Darryl, that in itself is a nod to Bill.

Darryl does a fantastic job and adds his own spin on the bass parts, he is by far the most technical musician out of ALL the Stones. Bill was there during the glory years though and ultimately that means much more than a critique of technical ability.

Seeing Wyman's RK's in August,can't wait smileys with beer

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 23, 2013 16:44

No, i don't miss him. Darryl does excellent job. Bill? Talanted, but not unreplaced, as i realized on Voodoo Lounge tour.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 23, 2013 16:55

I've been spinning old vinyl by the pool and playing a beat up copy of "Love You Live", Bill is outstanding on it. His ability to take charge and lead the band into choruses and bridges can not be overstated. There would be fewer train wrecks if he were on stage in 2013. As far as Darrell, he's a sideman, a great player but after 20 years, for whatever reasons, he's too polite and does only half his job.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 23, 2013 17:08

yeah I miss his playing too. full of personality, groove, right for the Stones.

he even made his own bass.

such an interesting man, we're talking about an extremely muli-faceted person here. Author; photographer; restaurateur; archaeologist enthusiast;

and a multi-instrumental musician, as well as a bandleader and songwriter.

not much of a singer, but he does that too.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 23, 2013 17:12

Heh, it looks like everybody missed Wyman's playing when he was in the band, but now when he is gone, everybody is missing it...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: July 23, 2013 17:21

duke richardson
yeah I miss his playing too. full of personality, groove, right for the Stones.

he even made his own bass.

such an interesting man, we're talking about an extremely muli-faceted person here. ; restaurateur;

He makes great desserts and fine children s menu too >grinning smiley<

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2013 17:22

Wroclaw

Absolutely superb recording...Wyman killed on this.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 23, 2013 17:45

Bill Wyman was great with The Stones

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 23, 2013 17:55

They never replaced Bill, they simply plugged a hole where the bass had to be. They took a big step down in musicianship when he left. And for those of you think Bill was some primitive, go listen to Midnight Rambler from Brussels.

Bill never just pumped the same lines over and over. Listened to Under My Thumb the other day. Very sophisticated. The guy took piano lessons for years as a kid. And why should it come down to who Charlie wants to play with? Charlie had no say at all in Bill joining the group to begin with, and that was the best rhythm section in rock and roll.

Bill did things with the melody, Darryl does not. I'm tired of bashing Darryl. Darryl is not in Bill's league. My ears immediately try and pick out what Bill is doing on a song. Darryl is an afterthought, like 99% of bass players. Bill laid down the bottom, and enhanced the song. He was as unique and crucial to the Golden Age Stones sound as anyone. He's rock and roll, Darryl is jazz. And when was the last time you heard an announcer shout at the beginning of a concert, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Greatest Jazz Band in the World, the Rolling Stones1"?

Date: July 23, 2013 18:06

an afterthought..like 99% of bass players.

whaddaya mean?

Date: July 23, 2013 18:08

treaclefingers
Wroclaw

Absolutely superb recording...Wyman killed on this.

yeah. and that other Ft Wort GS (the one with the Nikki Hopkins high on mix) has some great work of Bill too!

Date: July 23, 2013 18:57

24FPS
They never replaced Bill, they simply plugged a hole where the bass had to be. They took a big step down in musicianship when he left. And for those of you think Bill was some primitive, go listen to Midnight Rambler from Brussels.

Bill never just pumped the same lines over and over. Listened to Under My Thumb the other day. Very sophisticated. The guy took piano lessons for years as a kid. And why should it come down to who Charlie wants to play with? Charlie had no say at all in Bill joining the group to begin with, and that was the best rhythm section in rock and roll.

Bill did things with the melody, Darryl does not. I'm tired of bashing Darryl. Darryl is not in Bill's league. My ears immediately try and pick out what Bill is doing on a song. Darryl is an afterthought, like 99% of bass players. Bill laid down the bottom, and enhanced the song. He was as unique and crucial to the Golden Age Stones sound as anyone. He's rock and roll, Darryl is jazz. And when was the last time you heard an announcer shout at the beginning of a concert, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Greatest Jazz Band in the World, the Rolling Stones1"?

>>Darryl is an afterthought, like 99% of bass players<<

I demand a clarification..or at least an addendum..

that's like saying the floor in ya house is an afterthought...

(to paraphrase some slang here..)

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: July 23, 2013 21:21

In some manner Stones have improved their performance.There are still (very few )moments of rawness and true rock glory so it`s very interesting how could they sound with Bill nowadays.Playing with Darryl( with full respect for him) is huge step down from swinging , ancient art of weaving etc.Bill is the most important missing factor in their music after 1990.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 23, 2013 21:28

duke richardson
24FPS

>>Darryl is an afterthought, like 99% of bass players<<

I demand a clarification..or at least an addendum..

that's like saying the floor in ya house is an afterthought...

(to paraphrase some slang here..)

Okay, I'll clarify. On 99% of records you barely notice what the bass player is doing, or even know who the bass player is. Most of them plunk away, filling the hole at the bottom, content to be in the background. It is the rare bass player who does that AND adds to the overall sound of the song in a memorable way. The absolute cream of the British rock bands were generally blessed with gifted bass players, Entwistle, McCartney, Wyman, Bruce. It's what a bass player does with the melody that sets him above the others. No slam on bass players, just saying there's an elite next level, the 1% if you will.

Date: July 23, 2013 21:56

well..

lots of songs in country, blues, and early rock and roll have the same form basically...no pun intended..

so bassists played minimally for those songs

but soul, R & B, jazz, and as you say, the best British bands had more musically going on.

I agree that a lot of bass players go anonymously by. its the nature of being in a supporting role.

its an 'X' factor ..a feel in the bass, even though the line is so simple..makes the song, and I wouldn't characterize it dismissively..

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 23, 2013 22:21

just listen to Tumbling dice from L.A Friday.
Bill is great.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: July 23, 2013 23:27

How any Stones fan could NOT miss Bill Wyman just boggles my mind. It just doesn't compute. He left a very wide and gaping hole in the band that has not been mended.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 24, 2013 00:21

From4tilLate
How any Stones fan could NOT miss Bill Wyman just boggles my mind. It just doesn't compute. He left a very wide and gaping hole in the band that has not been mended.

I fully agree with you. When someone do not miss Bill in The Rolling Stones, then this someone can't be a real Stones fan!

Unfortunatly, I saw Bill only 2x with the Stones. In my 1st Stones concert in 1990 and in the opening night of The Rolling Stones' 50 & Counting Tour!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 24, 2013 00:59

24FPS
The absolute cream of the British rock bands were generally blessed with gifted bass players, Entwistle, McCartney, Wyman, Bruce. It's what a bass player does with the melody that sets him above the others. No slam on bass players, just saying there's an elite next level, the 1% if you will.

Pete Quaife of The Kinks was no slouch either, especially if you listen to their BBC sessions release, though you tended to hardly notice him on the regular Kinks studio recordings. That's something Wyman fans would love, by the way--an official BBC sessions release in mono, where the bass would be compressed up, prominent and booming.

But of course Quaife left--twice actually--once in 1966 and again for good in 1969. Both times he was replaced by a Paul McCartney lookalike, named John Dalton (formerly from The Creation).

Hey, know what Kinks drummer Mic Avory's name for Paul McCartney was? Pull My Cock Off! Ha Ha! Now that's actually really funny.

In fact, when John Dalton showed up for his first bass audition for The Kinks, "He introduced himself as John Dalton, but Dave shouted out that he looked like a fat version of Paul McCartney. Mick agreed, 'It's Pull My Cock Off!'"

Above anecdote was taken from X-Ray, by Ray Davies.

Former Kinks bassist John Dalton looks even more like "Pull My Cock Off" in recent years.

"Pull My Cock Off", now of the Kast Off Kinks. When asked "What do you feel you added to the band that perhaps Pete Quaife didn't, and vice versa?", his reply was "I could drink more than him, & he was far more sensible than me!"

Kinks bassist John Dalton (second from right) in younger years.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 24, 2013 02:28

Doxa
Heh, it looks like everybody missed Wyman's playing when he was in the band, but now when he is gone, everybody is missing it...grinning smiley

- Doxa

That's exactly the way it worked for me!

I had a good friend at work some years ago and we bonded over our love of the Rolling Stones among other things. He was an early "discoverer" of Youtube, and we went nuts enjoying some material that up until that time, we had considered pretty rare or were otherwise not aware of.

Sadly he passed away quite unexpectedly at a relatively young(ish) age and I regret silly as it may sound, all the Stones material that has materialized at our fingertips since his passing because he would have cherished it.

But anyway, when discussing Wyman I had expressed that it didn't seem to matter to me if he was there or not, and my friend assured me I would know the difference in time. Sure enough he was right on the money with that prediction.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 24, 2013 05:02

Your preaching to the choir: "Must Be Hell" from Undercover '82, he is missed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home